• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I'm still in shock that IGN gave this game a 10.0. Apparently this is the first Nintendo Console 10.0 they've given since Ocarina if my research is correct. Do we know anything about the reviewer that is currently over there?

ryan-ts

ntropy said:
he said "go down $10" not "go down to $10," thus, he values it at $50.

This is correct. Galaxy 2 is sure to rock my world but I've been burned before by paying an extra $10 for a wii game. Now I'm not saying Galaxy 2 wouldn't be worth $60 but I've already told myself I'm not spending anything over $50 for a new wii game. I may end up purchasing Galaxy 2 used from someone as I really do not want to wait but I'd like to wait a while before buying used because I'd gather give my money to Nintendo then some random person I deal with on Kijiji.

GregLombardi said:
I'm still in shock that IGN gave this game a 10.0. Apparently this is the first Nintendo Console 10.0 they've given since Ocarina if my research is correct. Do we know anything about the reviewer that is currently over there?

Not much besides him being amazingly smart.

upandaway

Brandon F said:
Justin.tv has a few streams of people playing this now. Dunno how they are getting their copies early, but it looks great.
Gee I wonder. My friend suddenly got the game too! Must be an insider suddenly.

I was surprised the game leaked so close to release this time. Usually he'd brag about this a week in advance.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I broke down and watched the Gametrailers review.... I'm just in AWE! Simply agog, me.

It's spoiler city but I don't care, I'm glad I watched it, and now my hype has reached terminal levels.

TreIII

AzureJericho said:
I think I would have done the same thi--

HOLY FUCK, DAT CHORUS!

Exactly, Jeri.

Gaming's number one bad boy gets one of his best theme songs orchestrated. It's SEX for the ears!

Hobbun

Scythesurge said:
I played SMG1 last night to try to satisfy my appetite for SMG2.

This is actually what I am doing right now, playing through SMG. Honestly, I didn’t finish it before. I know, shame on me.

I know I won’t finish it in time for SMG 2, only have 10 stars right now.

upandaway

Hobbun said:
This is actually what I am doing right now, playing through SMG. Honestly, I didn’t finish it before. I know, shame on me.

I know I won’t finish it in time for SMG 2, only have 10 stars right now.
I think in Galaxy I got 120 stars with Luigi in a week, at 2-3 hours every day. You may be able to finish it at 60 stars.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IGN gave this a 10!? Damn. What did they give SMG1? Not a 10, surely.
Has anyone posted excerpts of the review for those of us that cannot access the link?
Time to start going back a few pages and catching up, I think.

Hobbun

upandaway said:
I think in Galaxy I got 120 stars with Luigi in a week, at 2-3 hours every day. You may be able to finish it at 60 stars.

Well, supposedly my SMG2 copy is not arriving until Wednesday (as per Amazon), so I have a few extra days. But the thing is, if I don’t start SMG2 when I get it, I am not worried about it. I would rather completely finish SMG first than do an abbreviated run. From what I understand, you can get 240 stars? 120 from each Mario and Luigi?

upandaway

Hobbun said:
Well, supposedly my SMG2 copy is not arriving until Wednesday (as per Amazon), so I have a few extra days. But the thing is, if I don’t start SMG2 when I get it, I am not worried about it. I would rather completely finish SMG first than do an abbreviated run. From what I understand, you can get 240 stars? 120 from each Mario and Luigi?
You can ignore Luigi for now. He's a bit more slippery to control, and in races the opponent's AI is improved, but outside of that he's just a glorified replay of the game.

You're better off getting 120 stars with Mario, and do it with Luigi in a couple of months when you want to replay the game.

I'm so damn excited. I can't wait to sit down with my wife on Sunday and play this all day and order take out food. It's gonna be epic.

And I know I shouldn't, because I'll end up a ball of seething rage... but I sort of want to read the comments at the IGN review. I can't right now because of IGN being blocked at work, but it's probably for the best.

Quick, somebody post the dumbest comment you can find on that comments section to satiate me!

Mejilan said:
IGN gave this a 10!? Damn. What did they give SMG1? Not a 10, surely.
Has anyone posted excerpts of the review for those of us that cannot access the link?
Time to start going back a few pages and catching up, I think.
They gave Mario Galaxy 1 a 9.7.

Peff

Hobbun said:

Yes, but it's just the same game with a different skins and parameters (jump height, speed, momentum...) plus two secret stars, but it's not really worth it to marathon through all that right now because it may fatigue you when playing SMG2. Just leave Luigi for a replay later.

EDIT: Beaten!

I was thinking about buying this game, and then I saw the GT review...

This game looks awful. NO STORY?! REALLY?! I want to see the deep struggle Mario has to face between his feelings for Peach and his fear of losing her forever. Also, Bowser being orange=dumb. He should be black and have a gun! ... Uh... like Shadow the Hedgehog. And the game looks way too colorful, but I suppose that's what children want. And the gravity gimmicks just make the game look cheap and lazy. It gives the developers a reason to make basic and uncreative levels.

Oh, and that music? If I did end up playing this game at one of my 5 year old cousin's birthday parties, I'd have to mute the game just so my ears wouldn't bleed. Too cheery and not intense enough! Where is the electric guitar and hardcore drum solos?

Hobbun

upandaway said:
You can ignore Luigi for now. He's a bit more slippery to control, and in races the opponent's AI is improved, but outside of that he's just a glorified replay of the game.

You're better off getting 120 stars with Mario, and do it with Luigi in a couple of months when you want to replay the game.

Peff said:
Yes, but it's just the same game with a different skins and parameters (jump height, speed, momentum...) plus two secret stars, but it's not really worth it to marathon through all that right now because it may fatigue you when playing SMG2. Just leave Luigi for a replay later.

Oh, ok, I'll hold off on Luigi then. I thought maybe they changed it up a little more. But if it’s the same game, I am not going to play through all of it again. It’s going to take me long enough to get Mario’s stars as it is!

Thanks.

GregLombardi said:

It's Craig Harris, one of the few remaining "old timers" at IGN. Been around for years, working on handhelds and now with the overall Nintendo team.

Skiptastic said:
It's Craig Harris, one of the few remaining "old timers" at IGN. Been around for years, working on handhelds and now with the overall Nintendo team.
Oh wow its Craig Harris? I didn't see that it was him.

That's great news. Totally trust the review now. Thanks for letting me know.

As much hate as Matt gets over there, I still think he could review games damn well and knew his shit. Of course, he's gone now though.

bounchfx

dragonballjoseph said:
Lost series finale and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the same day? Is it even possible for me to live a better day in my life?

seriously. I plan on picking up Galaxy 2 at 9am, then going home, playing the shit out of it, and watching the lost finale at night. best day.... EVER.

I don't venture too often to the Gaming side of GAF and as such the release date for this has sneaked up on me. Needless to say after spending an hour in this thread, browsing some reviews, and listening to some music I just placed a pre-order with Amazon.

So I went from barely remembering that Super Mario Galaxy 2 existed to "OMG THIS WILL BE THE LONGEST 2 DAYS OF MY LIFE"

Thanks GAF.

Peff

Chip N Chance said:
Without spoiling anything, how many throwback stages are there? I hear that there's one 64 level, but are there more?

At least two more, one of them being a Sunshine bonus level

Pappasman

This just went from "I'll get it when I have more money" to "Fuck food, I can live off of galaxy"

I'll be there day 1, even if it kills me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dragonballjoseph said:
Lost series finale and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the same day? Is it even possible for me to live a better day in my life?
Seriously. Hype levels through the roof while avoiding spoilers for both.

Hobbun

So is this going to be the standard “collect 120 stars for Mario and Luigi?” Not complaining if that is the case, it’s a good formula. But was just wondering if they did something a little different this time.

GCX

Hobbun said:
So is this going to be the standard “collect 120 stars for Mario and Luigi?” Not complaining if that is the case, it’s a good formula. But was just wondering if they did something a little different this time.
120 stars yes, but the reward after that is a mystery.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hobbun said:
So is this going to be the standard &#8220;collect 120 stars for Mario and Luigi?&#8221; Not complaining if that is the case, it&#8217;s a good formula. But was just wondering if they did something a little different this time.
you get the girl. in a private castle.

Empty

it took me ages but i just beat luigi's purple coins in my galaxy replay, after a very messy run with some amazing last second saves before finally coming home.

such an incredible sensation, right now i feel like i could punch out a tiger then walk over to a bar and pull scarlett johansson.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only thing I'm not looking forward to with this is having to split time between this and Resonance of Fate... Glad to see all the positive reviews this has been getting, I was a bit worried it wouldn't bring much new to the table (even if I'm much more a fan of 2D Mario at heart).

MNC

This is the game of the forever, I turned the volume up so everyone could hear this when I played the game at Nintendo. At first the guy next to me was like 'teh fuck' and then he was like: 'OMG'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdmMyDlx3dE
They know what's best. OH MY GOD GOOSEBUMPS THANKS TO LAVA LAIR SHIT SHIT I WANT THIS GAME FUCK SO EPIC MARIO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SOMEONE QUOTE MY AVATAR QUICK SHIT MAN SO GOOD O_______________O CHORUS They just know what music pieces are so fucking classic mario OH MY GOD THE CHANTS ARE SO GOOD MY GOOSEBUMPS ARE ERECT.

Fucking hell. I don't know what magic was bestowed on all this but I want it. I WANT IT.

No Wii here, but my cousin lends it to me when these rare big titles come out.

Saddens me that we don't get these kinds of "Miyamoto" gems on the other consoles.
(not necessarily Nintendo stuff, but polished and nicely crafted games like these are rare)

Top Bottom