• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Magnus said:
Haha, I thought there were just 120 stars in both games, and that almost half of them were coin collecting ones which usually ended up boring me. :lol

Sadly mistaken I guess.
There are about 15 purple coin missions (collect 100 purple coins in a level) that unlock after you beat the final boss, but everything else is unique.

wRATH2x

Banned
Saw the GameTrailers review.

No hub world really is disappointing but ah what are you going to do? I'm half way through Alan Wake(awesome game) and I still have to find RDR somewhere, so I'll get this day 1 and if not a week later.

wRATH2x said:

No hub world really is disappointing but ah what are you going to do? I'm half way through Alan Wake(awesome game) and I still have to find RDR somewhere, so I'll get this day 1 and if not a week later.

I'm quite sure I'll prefer the streamlined nature of this game. I do appreciate how the Mario spaceship (more like faceship!) essentially acts like a mini hub world of sorts, though. Players can run around on their ship between stages if they are so inclined and experiement with various power-ups, practice riding Yoshi, etc. I think it's a fantastic concept.

Those familiar with Bayonetta's final battle track... you know that absolutely fucking amazing part where the choir goes into apeshit mode? This has a very similar part.

brandonh83 said:
Those familiar with Bayonetta's final battle track... you know that absolutely fucking amazing part where the choir goes into apeshit mode? This has a very similar part.

You mean Greatest Jubilee right?

Yeah, I can kinda hear it.

Wiseblade

dragonballjoseph said:
Wow. People actually don't want to be spoiled by the soundtrack is quite amusing to me.
Can't wait to see their reactions when they find out that the real final boss is
Dr. Wiley

It's totally acceptable to have that "holy crap this track is AWESOME" moment when I'm actually playing the game.

But i do agree that stuff in the MM9 thread was crazy.

Imagine that, me agreeing with you...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Um, okay so I saw the IGN video review and......JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And to think I was afraid they would cheapen out and ditch the orchestrated soundtrack. :lol

This is like 10x more epic than the original SMG soundtrack
(although I still think Buoy Base is the best track overall)

wRATH2x said:

Normally I would agree but after the horrible hub world in Galaxy I'm so glad they went with this level selection.

I usually like hub worlds in all games but there just wasn't any motivation to explore the world it felt like.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
i just watched the ign video review and oh my god i lost the ability to use capital letters it destroyed my brain. i can't wait for this game. it's too much to bear.

mjc

SuperJay said:
Any reports on broken street dates? THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! I WANT IT NOW!

One of my friends said he found it early at Kmart. He got a copy but sacraficed his option to get the $30 credit towards another Mario game.

Feep

Banned
Of course you can spoil a Mario game. And I'm annoyed that part of it HAS been spoiled. Do you reliaze what my reaction would have been if I just clicked on a galaxy and I ended up
Gong to goddamn Super Mario 64
? I would have gone fucking nuts. Now, I'm excited as hell to play it, but that moment can no longer exist.

I've avoided the 120-star bonus, and will continue to do so assiduously for the next week or so.

Wiseblade said:
It's totally acceptable to have that "holy crap this track is AWESOME" moment when I'm actually playing the game.

But i do agree that stuff in the MM9 thread was crazy.

Imagine that, me agreeing with you...
:D

selig

Banned
Feep said:
Of course you can spoil a Mario game. And I'm annoyed that part of it HAS been spoiled. Do you reliaze what my reaction would have been if I just clicked on a galaxy and I ended up
? I would have gone fucking nuts. Now, I'm excited as hell to play it, but that moment can no longer exist.

I've avoided the 120-star bonus, and will continue to do so assiduously for the next week or so.

Im also annoyed by that mentality of "you cant spoil a non-story game". bullshit. Im playing MH3 right now, and I love seeing each monster for the first time. Still dont know every monster and I wont spoil it for myself.

Speevy

Banned
The reason these can't be spoiled is because everyone experiences them differently.

Just because you've seen something that exists doesn't mean you know how it feels to play it. Unless you disagree with Nintendo's entire philosophy of making games, in which case, I suppose seeing something is like playing it...or not.

Razer Reds

Neo Member
Holy crap at the final boss battle music! It's a combination of
Super Mario Galaxy's final boss music and New Super Mario Bros. Wii's final boss battle music!

Vinci

Danish
Speevy said:
The reason these can't be spoiled is because everyone experiences them differently.

Just because you've seen something that exists doesn't mean you know how it feels to play it. Unless you disagree with Nintendo's entire philosophy of making games, in which case, I suppose seeing something is like playing it...or not.

This is basically my perspective, but I haven't spoiled anything in this thread just in case. :lol

selig

Banned
Speevy said:

And still, seeing something for the first time is part of the enjoyment.

mr.beers

mjc said:
One of my friends said he found it early at Kmart. He got a copy but sacraficed his option to get the $30 credit towards another Mario game.

Checked every place but there, what do you think? Should we go there Zach?

Vinci

Danish
selig said:
And still, seeing something for the first time is part of the enjoyment.

Yes, and I saw some things for the first time... just a little while ago. It was awesome. Playing through those parts should be amazing.

And yes, I kid.

selig

Banned
Vinci said:
Yes, and I saw some things for the first time... just a little while ago. It was awesome. Playing through those parts should be amazing.

And yes, I kid.

nono, I´ve actually gotten used to that attitude, too. Whether I see it while playing or in a video, I still get enjoyment from it. I just think it´s silly and mean by people to decide for others what is spoiler-worthy and what not.

Vinci

Danish
selig said:
nono, I´ve actually gotten used to that attitude, too. Whether I see it while playing or in a video, I still get enjoyment from it. I just think it´s silly and mean by people to decide for others what is spoiler-worthy and what not.

I pretty much default to, in Galaxy 2's case, expressions of unfettered joy and ecstasy. Seems safer than discussing why I feel the need to express them.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just found a copy at K-Mart. But now I have to go play in a city league basketball game. I'll play some later tonight and post a few impressions of the latest installment in my favorite gaming franchise. =]

Feep

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I just found a copy at K-Mart. But now I have to go play in a city league basketball game. I'll play some later tonight and post a few impressions of the latest installment in my favorite gaming franchise. =]
I hate you beyond words.

seady

I am surprise how many people prefer Mario Galaxy 1 to be without its open world Hub and the lovely Little Prince story. Those are some of my favorite parts and more memorable parts of the game. Am I the only one here that think differently?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
seady said:
I am surprise how many people prefer Mario Galaxy 1 to be without its open world Hub and the lovely Little Prince story. Those are some of my favorite parts and more memorable parts of the game. Am I the only one here that think differently?

The hub world, while nice looking, was ultimately a waste of time.

The story, while not bad, had no place in a Mario game. Mario is all about the gameplay, not the story.

Chris R

So can someone post with 100% certainty what the final OMG spoiler or whatever is? Not buying the game day one, and if/when I ever do I doubt I'll be getting all 120 stars.

WillyFive

seady said:

No. The hub was great.

But either way, like the story of SMG1, the hub world is optional here.

Although it uses a map, you can explore Spaceship Mario as if it was a hub.

img0944dl.jpg

woot

Rich!

So, my mate has this game.

He lives (like me) in the UK. He's been playing it all day, the pirating bastard. I have to wait until the UK release date (by my own moral choice).

Goddamnit. Temptation to go round his and play it rising, but I shall not give in. I will wait two weeks if it kills me.

WillyFive

richisawesome said:
So, my mate has this game.

He lives (like me) in the UK. He's been playing it all day, the pirating bastard. I have to wait until the UK release date (by my own moral choice).

Goddamnit. Temptation to go round his and play it rising, but I shall not give in. I will wait two weeks if it kills me.

Yeah. Be the better man.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Feep said:

Feep, that's exactly how I feel. Ah well, though. I'm sure there will still be plenty of magical moments.

Top Bottom