• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Dascu

I watched a bit of the livestream. Luckily didn't spoil much that I hadn't seen in trailers and such yet. The guy playing isn't very good though!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Someone tell me what's in transmission 16 without spoilers somehow, so I can judge whether or not to watch it!!!!! What.... KIND of thing is it?

Wow. People actually don't want to be spoiled by the soundtrack is quite amusing to me.
Can't wait to see their reactions when they find out that the real final boss is
Dr. Wiley

Vinci

Danish
Empty said:
TOO MUCH, TOO MUCH. WHY DID I WATCH THAT

Because you recognize that even seeing these snippets, you've spoiled so little of the full experience that you might as well gift yourself the sensation of witnessing Mario's brilliance.

Tathanen said:
Someone tell me what's in transmission 16 without spoilers somehow, so I can judge whether or not to watch it!!!!! What.... KIND of thing is it?

It's basically a summation of what makes Galaxy 2 amazing. Nothing TOO spoilery, IMO, unless you're just very strict about them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Seriously. Guys. Seriously. Don't watch Transmission 16. Just don't, if you haven't already.

Since I did, foolishly, I've now watched it 4 times straight, and each time my jaw is on the floor.

It's Cartman time. Thaw me when it gets here please.

9rrejo.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Diseased Yak said:
Seriously. Guys. Seriously. Don't watch Transmission 16. Just don't, if you haven't already.

Since I did, foolishly, I've now watched it 4 times straight, and each time my jaw is on the floor.

It's Cartman time. Thaw me when it gets here please.

9rrejo.jpg

I've watched it about half a dozen times. It never gets old.

Crazyorloco

"Woo Hoo!" Can't wait to play this. I loved the first game...and the music for it was perfect.

P.S. This thread is dangerous. Too many spoilers being posted. I'm staying out of this thread. :p

scurker

dragonballjoseph said:
Wow. People actually don't want to be spoiled by the soundtrack is quite amusing to me.
Can't wait to see their reactions when they find out that the real final boss is
Dr. Wiley
I can understand. The music and the game play goes hand in hand in setting the mood. If you're hearing for the first time within context of the game it could make it that much more grand.

So the theme from
throwback
galaxy was just posted. :D

Vinci

Danish
KeeSomething said:
It's a Mario game. Seeing "spoilers" isn't going to ruin the experience. Mario games are all about playing them.

I agree: Seriously, folks, nothing you could do is going to hurt this game.

Empty

Vinci said:
Because you recognize that even seeing these snippets, you've spoiled so little of the full experience that you might as well gift yourself the sensation of witnessing Mario's brilliance

It's the few weeks till the EU release date that i have to endure having seen that before i get to play it that concerns me. It's not massively spoilerly in terms of new content, even if i'd be slightly better of by having a few of them be surprises, and of course Mario is about playing, not watching.

scurker said:
I can understand. The music and the game play goes hand in hand in setting the mood. If you're hearing for the first time within context of the game it could make it that much more grand.

So the theme from
throwback
galaxy was just posted. :D
I guess the fact that I'm not too much of music person kind of makes me think it's a bit silly.

And holy crap at transmission 16.

zigg

Willy105 said:
I disagree. At least with this particular game, where so much of it was kept hidden from us before release.

No, not really. I only watched Nintendo's videos and as I played this week, a good chunk of it was "oh, this is that galaxy." Nintendo themselves has shown small bits of quite a bit of the game.

And I still loved the shit out of it.

Hiltz

I refuse to spoil Super Mario Galaxy 2 for myself. If the game is as amazing as it is claimed to be (which I believe it is), then it deserves to be experienced through virgin eyes.

No more gameplay clips or music samples for me.

It's hard to have to wait impatiently for my copy from Amazon to arrive. Thankfully, Monster Hunter Tri should help ease the pain.

Azure J

You know, I just realized something. Thanks to getting Galaxy 2 through Amazon, I can also get myself The World Ends With You for free.

BEST FUCKING UPCOMING WEEK PRESENT TO MYSELF EVER. :lol

While watching that GT review I was amazed to find that
those platforming levels from Super Mario Sunshine with the retro graphic backgrounds
were back for SMG2! Or at least they really look just like those. They were my favorite part of Sunshine.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
seady said:
Man, this wait makes me want to go back and boot up Super Mario Galaxy 1 now. Who's with me? :D

Nope. I already got all 242 stars.
Now I'm waiting for the second course.

Magnus

Mejilan said:
Nope. I already got all 242 stars.
Now I'm waiting for the second course.
Wait, there were that many stars in the first game? Haha, I got 60 and just finished it, was too exhausted with it (as great as it was) to
bother with more.

Kard8p3

Magnus said:
Wait, there were that many stars in the first game? Haha, I got 60 and just finished it, was too exhausted with it (as great as it was) to
bother with more.

So you only played half of the original? Dude you missed out.

Vinci

Danish
Magnus said:
bother with more.

Okay, that's it. I'm going to PM you my mailing address. You are to carefully take Galaxy 2 out of your Wii system and place it into a jewel case, then deposit that into a padded envelope. Put my address on the envelope and mail that fucking thing to me.

O_O This game is shaping up to be amazing. Final Boss music is out of this world. Something probably reserved for
more Zelda like games. Is this a spoiler :p ?

They better go this all out for Zelda Wii too :D

2 more days, good thing I only work until open on Sunday and can grab this right away to go home and play :D :D :D

By the sounds of it, seems that SMG has been eclipsed.

Good god Mario Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta's final battle themes will be forever locked in an epic battle themselves over best final battle tune of 2010!

ZeroRay

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I've been playing again the last few days, trying to tide myself over.

I just replayed the second Bowser stage in Mario Galaxy. That was the point where I called it game of the generation. Lets see where I'll call it in this one. :D

brandonh83 said:
Good god Mario Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta's final battle themes will be forever locked in an epic battle themselves over best final battle tune of 2010!

Yeah, not listening to that one until I get the game.

Magnus

Haha, I thought there were just 120 stars in both games, and that almost half of them were coin collecting ones which usually ended up boring me. :lol

Sadly mistaken I guess.

seady

I think one of the main reason why people carried the perception of this being 'more of the same' is stemmed from the very first reveal trailer they put out at E3 last year.

Unlike other trailers that rely way much on CG or cutscenes over gameplay, SMG2 trailer was all gameplay footage. When people look at the very first trailer of Mass Effect 2 or Halo Reach, they are watching a movie trailer (not a criticism). Had those games first put out first trailer full of gameplay footage, the perception would have been the same like SMG2. Same thing for the other way around.

It shows how important a first sight is to people's perception.

Azure J

brandonh83 said:

Oh my fuck. I did not think I could get any more hyped for this game.

zigg

Magnus said:
Haha, I thought there were just 120 stars in both games, and that almost half of them were coin collecting ones which usually ended up boring me. :lol

Wow, yeah, even Galaxy's handful of purple coin hunts, i.e. "oh you missed the one behind the tree," was nowhere near half. Most purple coin missions that were platforming challenges, which I enjoyed a lot more.

Galaxy 2 has no purple coin hunts at all. The purple coin stars are all challenges of some kind. :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Magnus said:
bother with more.

120 for Mario, which unlocks Luigi's quest (which is basically the same exact game save for controls).
Luigi has 121. Get the 121st for Luigi, and Mario can get his 121st (same as Luigi's 121st).
242 total.

And there are no stars for collecting 100 yellow coins (SM64) or finding and locating blue coins (SMS). SMG is pretty content-rich, though SMG2 seems to crush it there as well!

The closest thing to "traditional" coin hunting in SMG would be a relatively small sub-section of the comet challenge levels. And even those are mostly exceptional fun.

Top Bottom