• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Where is all of this amazing music coming from? Is there a soundtrack out yet? WHERE CAN I BUY IT?? I HAVE MONEY!!!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
from gamespot review:

"this is not only the new standard by which every 3d platformer must be judged against, but seamlessly integrates so many elements from mario's 2d roots that it stands toe-to-toe with its 2d progenitors."

:D~~~

Some guy called the Gamespot reviewer a Mario nostalgia obsesso and Gamespot officially responded to his post, saying:

That's such craziness I don't even know how to respond.

We take a 10 seriously. This is only the 7th game in this site's history to receive one. The entire reviews team had a very long discussion about this game. And the fact of the matter is, SMG2 could not have been meaningfully improved. It is one surprise after another, one new trick after another, one gleeful section followed by one even more gleeful than the last. The review spells it all out. This game is constantly surprising, constantly entertaining. It is filled with variety. You never know what is in store for you, what slice of beauty will next be served up. What makes it special is that it DOESN'T rely on nostalgia to be good. It is pure fun in video game form--an essentially flawless stream of delights and joy, with no problems of note to distract you from its awesomeness. It is in our minds the most utterly refined platformer ever created--so astounding that it is hard to imagine how it could be built upon.

That's a 10. Amazing is amazing. It happens to be a Mario game, but that's beside the point. SMG2 is impossible to dislike and impossible to put down. But you know--you could read the review. That's the part everyone seems to miss.

Wow I can't believe how hyped I am for this shit. :D

gray_fox224

beelzebozo said:
from gamespot review:

"this is not only the new standard by which every 3d platformer must be judged against, but seamlessly integrates so many elements from mario's 2d roots that it stands toe-to-toe with its 2d progenitors."

:D~~~
wow!

Empty

GregLombardi said:

We take a 10 seriously. This is only the 7th game in this site's history to receive one. The entire reviews team had a very long discussion about this game. And the fact of the matter is, SMG2 could not have been meaningfully improved. It is one surprise after another, one new trick after another, one gleeful section followed by one even more gleeful than the last. The review spells it all out. This game is constantly surprising, constantly entertaining. It is filled with variety. You never know what is in store for you, what slice of beauty will next be served up. What makes it special is that it DOESN'T rely on nostalgia to be good. It is pure fun in video game form--an essentially flawless stream of delights and joy, with no problems of note to distract you from its awesomeness. It is in our minds the most utterly refined platformer ever created--so astounding that it is hard to imagine how it could be built upon.

That's a 10. Amazing is amazing. It happens to be a Mario game, but that's beside the point. SMG2 is impossible to dislike and impossible to put down. But you know--you could read the review. That's the part everyone seems to miss.

oh my word.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
GregLombardi said:
Some guy called the Gamespot reviewer a Mario nostalgia obsesso and Gamespot officially responded to his post, saying:

Wha..... what is going on? I respect Gamespot for once?

BowieZ

Banned
GregLombardi said:

Smackdown.

Doorman

Speevy said:
The reason these can't be spoiled is because everyone experiences them differently.

Just because you've seen something that exists doesn't mean you know how it feels to play it. Unless you disagree with Nintendo's entire philosophy of making games, in which case, I suppose seeing something is like playing it...or not.
While it's true that you can't fully experience something without playing it firsthand, I'd say there is a big difference in reaction when you see something in a video first as opposed to running into it within the game without expecting it. You're suddenly given something you never saw coming and have to, right then and there, try and figure out how to get yourself through it. If you've already seen what the level looks like, heard the music, and watched somebody else complete the goal, then you have a lot of time to think about it all before actually playing it yourself.

You see everybody going HOLY SHIT and acting stunned in this topic just by hearing a piece of music. Imagine how that experience changes when you're hit with that moment at the same time that you have to actively play the game. Getting bits and pieces like the look and sound of a level, I think, will keep some people from feeling quite so overwhelmed when they have to play that part of the game themselves.

Anyway...
Gamespot Review said:
This is an instant classic that belongs alongside the best games Nintendo has ever created.
AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cornontheCoD said:
Wha..... what is going on? I respect Gamespot for once?

i don't know much about it now, but during the kasavin/gerstmann/davis era, it was a really great, reliable site.

i miss greg kasavin reviews so much.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
GregLombardi said:

I know I'll sound like such a Nintendo fanboy when I say this, but I just gained some respect for Gamespot. I will be viewing the website more often now.

Taxman

GregLombardi said:

Can you give me a link to this? Can't find it.

BowieZ

Banned
Boney said:
You know? I'm calling it right now. Game of the Forever.
Can you sing upper tenor register? There's very few spots left in this loud chorus of GAF-ers calling this Game of the Forever. :p

Oh, can I conduct?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Skiesofwonder said:
I know I'll sound like such a Nintendo fanboy when I say this, but I just gained some respect for Gamespot. I will be viewing the website more often now.
You know, its funny, since joining GAF, I don't really read most sites for news anymore. I check 1up, Gamespot, IGN, and GamesRadar daily for review scores, but that's about it. I really only read features on GamesRadar and The Escapist now.

It's sad that I know people in the industry who mock Mario games and constantly say, "oh, they're making another one?" in a joking tone. These games are brilliant.

I fully expect this game to get ignored at the GDC Awards though.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was really unsure about how Yoshi would feel. He's pretty awesome. Catching enemies with his tongue has been more fun than I thought it would be, especially trying to catch three in one tongue swipe. Two things though: when you try to long jump with him, you'll jump off him; also, he can't grab onto ledges. I love long jumping around a level, but it's all good. The auto-save feature is also great.

Cohsae

I had like zero hype for this game, and in the space of about 1 hour I am now in extreme hype mode. Get this fucking game to Australia NOW!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I just bought subscriptions to both IGN and Gamespot to thank them for giving Galaxy 2 perfect scores and bumping the metacritic average, and I encourage everybody else to do the same! My new favorite gaming sites.

CrankyJay said:
Just pre-ordered this on Amazon. Can't really beat the additional $20 game credit you get.

Arrg I went to do this same exact thing but my $20 promo code from Red Dead Redemption still hasn't been emailed to me. If I can get it in time, I'll do this deal.

Kaldea

I'm still kind of bitter over reviews for other games, but I'm very happy this game is getting amazing reviews. I'll still only trust my own judgment when I get to play it. :D

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
SnowWolf said:
I just bought subscriptions to both IGN and Gamespot to thank them for giving Galaxy 2 perfect scores and bumping the metacritic average, and I encourage everybody else to do the same! My new favorite gaming sites.

:lol Yeah, sorry, I don't love/hate sites based on a review.

SnowWolf said:

Hear that, IGN and Gamespot? Give out more 10's and you'll make more money.

BowieZ

Banned
SnowWolf said:
2myakvp.png

Gigglepoo

brandonh83 said:

But then a 10 from GameSpot will be meaningless! I think Galaxy is our 7th 10 ever handed out. It's kind of terrifying to give such a high score, but I am confident this deserves it. I have to wait like everyone else to play more of it and the wait is killing me. I'm going to play through the whole thing again as soon Amazon sends me my copy.

squinters

astigmatic
tim.mbp said:
Just got an email from Walmart saying my pre-order has shipped.
So did I! But then I looked at it and discovered Galaxy 2 is supposed to have a two-week transit period!

I sincerely hope that your game doesn't take that long, as it's gonna be a long wait until June.

JSnake

SnowWolf said:

ha ha ha what?????????

Willy105 said:
I like Gamespot going into the bowels of the forums to talk about the game.

i don't, because it reminds me that gamespot actually created a hellmaw called "system wars" that has never produced anything good

brandonh83 said:
:lol :lol Seriously I expect to love this game as much as the next guy but let's not give these known sellouts too much ammo.

Gigglepoo said:
I don't have my own copy. I have to buy my own if I want to play it at home, which I most assuredly do.

How much did you play of it? This is the only question I'm asking, as I only have .20 in my pocket right now. Hopefully that will cover the charge.

JSnake

Gigglepoo said:
I don't have my own copy. I have to buy my own if I want to play it at home, which I most assuredly do.

oh. I was under the impression you got to take your press copies home. my bad

how can any gamespot staff member take one look at that forum and not permanently delete the accounts of every single person who posts there

Top Bottom