• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Dartastic

-PXG- said:
EBC3012703.jpg

Stacks with Edge Card. So yeah, that's a whopping 60% bonus. Can't complain about that.

Holy crap. I almost think I should trade something in. What though? Dunno.

P.S. I am sad that I have to wait till tomorrow to play this. No stores in my area were doing midnight releases. =(

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm almost regretting pre-ordering at Amazon.com for the $20 with super saver shipping.
buy at walmart, keep receipt, return amazon copy when it arrives to walmart

I've been doing this for a handful of things like games or movies if I want them on release day but don't want to wait for amazon to ship

you can now use the 25deal coupon code for 25% off your order of 100 or more and include mario galaxy 2 in your order and still get a $20 coupon code. awesome deal

Dartastic

Mr. Spinnington said:
buy at walmart, keep receipt, return amazon copy when it arrives to walmart

I've been doing this for a handful of things like games or movies if I want them on release day but don't want to wait for amazon to ship

This is what I'm doing.

Feep

Banned
My friend sends me a message six minutes ago telling me about a secret store that has games a week early. I could have had SMG2 six days ago.

FML.

Edit: Heading there now to pick it up. Will return with whether or not she was bullshitting me.

Jeels

playing now, one star in. the music...I came in 30 seconds.

Other than that, not really stunned, but once again I'm one star in.

andymcc

Banned
wal-mart had it, dude was nice enough to scour the back room because he said they put the game with the tuesday releases. he called his manager who had to verify it was ok to sell. no one else was there to get it. :lol

pretty awesome so far. yoshi is a blast to use, something i'd never expect out of a 3D mario game.

Pyrokai

Bet you guys I can beat all your Walmart tales. The guy, who was a fucking asshole redneck douche, stormed into the back to get the game after making me wait for like ten minutes. He came back with the game, apologizing for the wait, and had opened it by prying the sides of the case with the shrink wrap still on. He did this in front of me and said he was checking to make sure it was all in there and everything. I conrinued home. When I get home, I find that the bottom of the case is freaking BROKEN from his prying it open. The entire bottom is cracked and just sorta hanging there. I'm so angry. I will be exchanging my copy tomorrow.

Fucking awesome game though.

gumshoe

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Bet you guys I can beat all your Walmart tales. The guy, who was a fucking asshole redneck douche, stormed into the back to get the game after making me wait for like ten minutes. He came back with the game, apologizing for the wait, and had opened it by prying the sides of the case with the shrink wrap still on. He did this in front of me and said he was checking to make sure it was all in there and everything. I conrinued home. When I get home, I find that the bottom of the case is freaking BROKEN from his prying it open. The entire bottom is cracked and just sorta hanging there. I'm so angry. I will be exchanging my copy tomorrow.

Fucking awesome game though.

He opened a game that was wrapped?? To check if the game was there?? Seriously? :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
$200 said:
I've wondered about this before; why are gamestop and eb australia using the same rabbit character?
same company, I believe

Kard8p3

Alright so after this where does Nintendo take everyone's favorite platforming plumber? I mean seriously what more can you do with a 3D platformer? It seems this is the absolute perfection of the genre and I'm not sure there's any higher level for Nintendo to take it.

AniHawk

Kard8p3 said:
Alright so after this where does Nintendo take everyone's favorite platforming plumber? I mean seriously what more can you do with a 3D platformer? It seems this is the absolute perfection of the genre and I'm not sure there's any higher level for Nintendo to take it.

Super Mario Tesseract. Let's start messing with time and space.

all i know about tesseracts comes from a wrinkle in time lol

Taxman

So I just got back from Walmart... with no game. When I got there there were already some other guys of similar age looking pissed off. It seems that the worker COULDN'T FIND THE GAMES. So no copies of Galaxy 2 were sold this night. Good job Walmart. You're like the only one open in like all of Los Angeles right now too.

Kard8p3 said:
5-cell.gif

8-cell.gif

16-cell.gif

24-cell.gif

240px-Schlegel_wireframe_120-cell.png

240px-Schlegel_wireframe_600-cell_vertex-centered.png

800px-Globe_panorama03.jpg

Taxman said:
So I just got back from Walmart... with no game. When I got there there were already some other guys of similar age looking pissed off. It seems that the worker COULDN'T FIND THE GAMES. So no copies of Galaxy 2 were sold this night. Good job Walmart. You're like the only one open in like all of Los Angeles right now too.
The same thing happened to me the morning that the DS Lite launched. The woman working at electronics had never worked that section before, she was just covering because the electronics person didn't show up to work. She didn't even try looking for it, she just kept telling all of us to wait for somebody else to come in... most of us ended up just getting it at the nearby Target when they opened an hour later.

EmCeeGramr said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/5-cell.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/8-cell.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/16-cell.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/24-cell.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Schlegel_wireframe_120-cell.png/240px-Schlegel_wireframe_120-cell.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Schlegel_wireframe_600-cell_vertex-centered.png/240px-Schlegel_wireframe_600-cell_vertex-centered.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Globe_panorama03.jpg/800px-Globe_panorama03.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

For some reason I find this series of pictures deeply moving

:o

I put a good two hours into the game, I have 10 stars and have beaten the first world (there are more stars to get but a skipped a few). The game is of course incredible, from the first stage alone you can feel that this game is more focused. There is a lot less wasted space and far fewer of those collect 5 star pieces to move on sections. Most areas are centered around platforming and from the first few levels I have played the 3D levels are starting to feel like 2D stages. Levels now have warps to bonus areas, they have a hidden coin which will summon comets, you have the mid stage flags that act as checkpoints. It all feels more old school Mario like, oh and I love the map so much easier to get to the next area.

All 10 stars I have gotten so far have introduced a new gameplay mechanic. Everything I have seen was in the early trailers so hopefully i wont be spoiling anything.
You get Yoshi in the second level and he feels perfect. Yoshi runs faster, he can run on mud that would otherwise slow Mario down. His eating move is very easy to perform. The jump works perfectly. When you get hit you fall off Yoshi and he starts to run around just like in SMW. The first level of Yoshi introduced you to his basic moves. The next level give you spikey enemies to eat and spit out with a great boss battle centered around that mechanic.

After that I got the drill which is awesome. What a great boss fight, speaking of which I have done like 6 of them already. They are all simple like SMG but pretty damn cool. The next level had cloud Mario in a beautiful level. The map has branching paths, one took you to a optional galaxy which was all about floor switches that you control by spinning. Every time you spun one set of floor panels disappeared and another appeared. Once giant chomp balls got added to the mix it became one hell of a platformer. I have died quite a bit, but no worries as there are TONS of 1ups all over. The levels kept getting crazier as there was all 2D gravity level, with the arrows like in the Bowser levels of SMG1. This one had fire flowers mixed in and everything. I think the most boring level I played was the first boss level, Bowser Jr's, great boss fight to end it though.

While yeah it is basically new levels of Galaxy there is enough new stuff here to make it feel like a full sequel. The small sample I have played felt perfect, they took the best aspects of Galaxy made a full game based on that, while coming up with even crazier ideas. The game looks beautiful as well, definitely a graphical improvement on Galaxy. Even on my HD set it looks stunning, it's so smooth.

It's incredible, if you loved Galaxy you will go crazy over this one.

This game is the 2nd biggest disappoint for me this entire generation. I bought the first one, and got duped into thinking this one was going to be different. I am sadly mistaken.

I honestly am shocked and confused by the gaming media for giving this game the reviews it's gotten.

Kard8p3

les papillons sexuels said:
This game is the 2nd biggest disappoint for me this entire generation. I bought the first one, and got duped into thinking this one was going to be different. I am sadly mistaken.

I honestly am shocked and confused by the gaming media for giving this game the reviews it's gotten.

It would seem you're completely alone on this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Would you kindly elaborate on why you don't like Super Mario Galaxy?

And also, how you were led to believe that Galaxy 2 was going to be different?

You thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be a different kind of game than SMG1, what?

Feep

Banned

Obvious troll is obvious. I mean, NO ONE could be this stupid.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
302287_001.JPG

HMV UK's offer. Same price as GAME so I may go for it unless somewhere else offers it for a much better price. At £34.99, I'm sure a few £29.99 will appear closer to release.

Sorry if this is a repost, don't really want to crawl through the thread and spoil to much and the OP didn't have this listed.

I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces. Anything to differentiate it from the first, expand on something, anything.

the game still gives me vertigo (the only game I've ever played that game me a headache).

I will admit, the few puzzles I've gotten too have been more challenging then the first game.

But plain and simple. Its a plain and simple game, and I just don't understand the praise.

JRW

Joker_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Super Mario Tesseract. Let's start messing with time and space.

all i know about tesseracts comes from a wrinkle in time lol

Heh, same here. But the tesseract was the 5th dimension, right? Mario still has to go 4D first. :O

Oh, and have you bought the game already?

gumshoe

Banned
I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces. Anything to differentiate it from the first, expand on something, anything.

the game still gives me vertigo (the only game I've ever played that game me a headache).

I will admit, the few puzzles I've gotten too have been more challenging then the first game.

But plain and simple. Its a plain and simple game, and I just don't understand the praise.
:lol :lol :lol

I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something.

Oh he's kind of got a point here. That would have been sweet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BGBW said:
302287_001.JPG

HMV UK's offer. Same price as GAME so I may go for it unless somewhere else offers it for a much better price. At £34.99, I'm sure a few £29.99 will appear closer to release.

Sorry if this is a repost, don't really want to crawl through the thread and spoil to much and the OP didn't have this listed.
Do I need to pre order for that, and is it inshore or online only? Have a pre order in with GAME for double points and I have some trade-ins, but that tshirt is tempting

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces.
You CANNOT be serious... :lol

Jesus Christ. It's a Mario game.

If you need a motive to jump on Goombas and collect coins, you're doing it wrong.

SYNTAX182

:lol You picked the wrong hobby.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Given the nature of Mario's core gameplay, any attempt to contextualize it with a narrative is doomed to being totally ridiculous. Plus, any serious attempt to work a story into the proceedings would only restrict the boundless inventiveness of the level design.

Red Scarlet

...have you never played a mainline Mario game ever before?

Top Bottom