• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

daakusedo

zigg said:
What the hell is going on here.

I came to engage gigantic blocks of spoiler text and say that contrary to my initial impressions, which labelled the post-120-star content as nice but "serene," the back 120 is actually pretty damn awesome.

The Green Stars aren't just "hidden." A lot of the ones I've seen are insane platforming challenges--stuff that people who loved trying to get on top of the castle without the cannon in 64 should love.

For example:
In the world 1 boss galaxy, bouncing across lava to the back wall, backflip wall jump up and spin into a cutout in the tower, then jump out and spin backward onto the wall.
Another:
In Boulder Bowl, instead of knocking over the ramp flat with Rock Mario, wall jump up it between the rails on its sides--only it's too wide, so you'll have to repeatedly wall jump with spins at the end to keep from losing height as you climb. Then carefully walk the thin edge at the top--don't fall--and finally backflip spin into the star.

Basically, this is Galaxy 2's
Star Coins
. Better than anything anyone was imagining :)

I...I don't know, there's always something to increase my need to play Mario Galaxy 2, and this message is killing me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was listening to Gusty Garden Galaxy on the SMG1 OST the other day and it blew my bros mind. It still blows my mind. I can't wait for a non-youtube version of SMG 2's OST.

CassSept

Fantasy Final said:
So everyone is playing/out getting the game at this point?

My EBGames is not opened until 10AM :/

I am sitting in the corner and crying that it's 23rd but I live in Europe and have to wait for my import copy to come :(
camineet said:
I'll ask again. Is there any level in SMG2 that's like Melty Molton Galaxy ?

Well,
there is a level called Melty Monster Galaxy, so probably yes :D

Stallion Free said:
I was listening to Gusty Garden Galaxy on the SMG1 OST the other day and it blew my bros mind. It still blows my mind. I can't wait for a non-youtube version of SMG 2's OST.

You and your bro got taste, mang.

Bauer91

Toki767 said:
I could hardly get myself to get like 20 stars in Galaxy 1. Whereas in 2 I've already gotten more than that. I think the level designs in 2 are much more fun to play through and the addition of Yoshi definitely is a nice welcome. That said, I don't know if I could recommend 2 to someone who hated 1. I definitely love 2 though. It makes me feel like I didn't give 1 enough of a chance.

Same here. I liked Galaxy, but stopped playing after a while and never continued. I think I got a a few more stars then 20 though.

Anyway, I'm halfway through World 3 and Galaxy 2 is one of the best games I've ever played. The level design is simply amazing.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
To everyone complaining about reviews/hyperbole: the way I think about it is the way Gamespot put it. They said that they could not think of any meaningful way to improve the game, so they gave it a 10. No offense or anything, but that doesn't mean that it's everybody's cup of tea.

and:
BocoDragon said:
Mario Galaxy 2 should be like Mario Galaxy 1, of course. It's a little silly "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." of course.

But those reviews... they'd have you think "everyone who loves gaming should eat this up! This is the first game I've loved like this in 20 years! All humans should love this game since it's the best thing since Jesus!".

I can see many, many people playing it and going... "Wut? This? huh?"

This is exactly how I feel/felt about Halo. What I'm saying is that this happens quite often

anyone think the space theme gave them a lot of freedom they wouldn't have had otherwise?

I mean, you can't have epic Star Wars-esque music on a level that takes place in a forest or something. But if there are stars around you, you always feel like it needs epic, space battle music.

I mean, listen to
Throwback galaxy
and then listen to a
regular level that's not a remake
The scale of the music is completely different. They're both good, but the former just wouldn't work with blaring fanfares.

It also lets them have total control over lighting. They don't have to worry about natural lighting, because they just invent the lighting of their planet.

Not having to worry about horizons allows them to worry more about the immediate level infront of the player.

argrgr, why did I order free shipping from Amazon!!?

I absolutely ADORED Galaxy, I can't wait. Listening to music, I just can't wait
At the new bee level music. They made Honeyhive FUNKY by simply adding a new layer to it. God, even the Galaxy remixed music is epic

Eric C

Red Scarlet said:
I didn't even like SMG, but I only played 1 level and it was supposedly a bad one (level 2? the bee level?) and what he thought should be in it confused the hell outta me too (I've played the other Mario games though).

That level was so boring to me. I felt like I was just going through the motions. I remember playing it and thinking "THIS is what everyone is calling game of the generation?"

When they mirrored it in a later level I was SO disappointed.

AniHawk said:
SMG takes a *long* time to get good. NSMBW is really where it's at. SMG2 though looks like it starts off where SMG got good, but I won't know for sure until I play it.

Yes, for me SMG took awhile to get good. But after it did I loved it. From what little I've seen of SMG2, I get the same impression as you about it starting good. Now I just have to wait for my amazon order to get here so I can play it.

Sanic

Ericsc said:
Yes, for me SMG took awhile to get good. But after it did I loved it. From what little I've seen of SMG2, I get the same impression as you about it starting good. Now I just have to wait for my amazon order to get here so I can play it.

Maybe I should have played further into SMG myself. I don't remember how far I made it, but I remember thinking the game was good but nothing spectacular, and never finished it. Now i'm considering going out to get galaxy 2 now, not sure :/

elektrixx

Banned
This is gonna be a massive timesink. I'm glad now that my Red Dead hasn't been delivered yet!

I feel like I'm having a better time with this because for the most part the only things I've seen of the game are from video reviews. Before the first Galaxy released I'd seen so much of the game beforehand that nothing really surprised me. I must've seen that old beehive galaxy a thousand times.

Galang

Banned
Only an hour until I get my copy! :D

Ericsc said:
That level was so boring to me. I felt like I was just going through the motions. I remember playing it and thinking "THIS is what everyone is calling game of the generation?"

When they mirrored it in a later level I was SO disappointed.

I'm not a platformer fan at all, and these were my exact thoughts when I tried to play SMG1. Almost quit at that, but real glad I stuck around. I can see how someone might get discouraged based on the first part of galaxy. Real shame, if it can convert me I think it can convert almost anyone! :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Heading out to pick this up in a little while.....I have no words. There are few times at my ripe old age of 35 where a new game makes me completely giddy.....a new Mario game always does the trick! Cant wait to dig in!!!!

Ughghhghg. Why does my gamestop not open until 12 on Sundays?
crying.gif

So far(36 stars in), it's Mario Galaxy all over again in the sense that you play some, then stop and then can't and go back and play again.

You know a game is great when you are at the beginning and checking how much of the game is left:lol

Peff

wRATH2x said:
So whats the bonus when you get 120 stars?(Spoiler this for those guys who don't want to know)

A second set of 120 stars which are hidden through the normal levels, some are obvious and some are quite elaborate. Look at the spoiler above for some examples

camineet

Banned
zigg said:
What do you mean by that. Set on a giant lava planet? Involving a race up a sinking spire?

I mean a level that's set on a lava planet, yeah, with solar flares and stuff like Melty Molton, even though it could be vastly different, without a sinking spire. Anyone know?

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
So far(36 stars in), it's Mario Galaxy all over again in the sense that you play some, then stop and then can't and go back and play again.

You know a game is great when you are at the beginning and checking how much of the game is left:lol

Almost completely unrelated, but a pet peeve in a lot of games I have...

...don't you hate when a game tells you that you have X out of Y things completed, so that you know you must be getting close to the end when you got that number of items?

especially in linear games which have you collecting shit, if you've got 58 out of 60 treasures, you know there's not much game left.

I hate that shit! DONT SPOIL THE FUN DEVELOPERS

Peff

Amir0x said:

...don't you hate when a game tells you that you have X out of Y things completed, so that you know you must be getting close to the end when you got that number of items?

especially in linear games which have you collecting shit, if you've got 58 out of 60 treasures, you know there's not much game left.

... hehe :D

CassSept

camineet said:
I mean a level that's set on a lava planet, yeah, with solar flares and stuff like Melty Molton, even though it could be vastly different, without a sinking spire. Anyone know?
Yes, there is. It's called
Melty Monster Galaxy
and includes first appearance of
Blarggs in 3D
!

wRATH2x

Banned
Peff said:
A second set of 120 stars which are hidden through the normal levels, some are obvious and some are quite elaborate. Look at the spoiler above for some examples
Aha, sounds good, would have preferred the SM64 remake rumor but whatever.
Amir0x said:

I'm with you on this one, but I also hate it when you get a game that seems long but then you were surprised that it ended so quickly.(I'm looking at you Brutal Legend)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I hate when I get near the end of a book and the publisher spoils it by letting the right side of the book get thinner and the left get thicker.

I always get paranoid about finishing games too quickly.

Amir0x said:
Yeah Zelda games do this, with Twillight Princess finally having a circular item menu so you wouldn't get a hint of how many Temples/Weapons there were left.

Amir0x said:

Why are you here doing superfluous things like "discussing stuff"? The greatest Mario game ever is on your TV right now!

Go to him!

Amir0x said:

You know what's even worst? When you get the "game completed" trophy/achievement before you even know that the game is over, like at the beginning of the final cut-scene or something.

I mean, fuuuck:/

Yeah I live in Europe, no Galaxy 2 for me:(

Magnus

CassSept said:
Yes, there is. It's called
Melty Monster Galaxy
and includes first appearance of
Blarggs in 3D
!

Is
Blarrgs a reference to the red lava smiling dinosaur monster from SMW?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Heading out to pick this up in a little while.....I have no words. There are few times at my ripe old age of 35 where a new game makes me completely giddy.....a new Mario game always does the trick! Cant wait to dig in!!!!
*high five*

T-25min for me till my local store opens.

Top Bottom