• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

FSLink

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Alright so after this where does Nintendo take everyone's favorite platforming plumber? I mean seriously what more can you do with a 3D platformer? It seems this is the absolute perfection of the genre and I'm not sure there's any higher level for Nintendo to take it.

Take a page from Braid and involve time travelling puzzles.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
mrklaw said:
Do I need to pre order for that, and is it inshore or online only? Have a pre order in with GAME for double points and I have some trade-ins, but that tshirt is tempting
You do need to pre-order for it. I found this offer on their website, but I haven't been to one of their stores recently so I don't know if they have the same offer there.

Randy

BGBW said:
302287_001.JPG

HMV UK's offer. Same price as GAME so I may go for it unless somewhere else offers it for a much better price. At £34.99, I'm sure a few £29.99 will appear closer to release.

Sorry if this is a repost, don't really want to crawl through the thread and spoil to much and the OP didn't have this listed.

Ordered, I really like the shirt, so... :) Thanks for sharing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be fair.. I was re-playing SMG1 today... and while I love it....

I don't think the degree of hyperbolic love these games have gotten accord with some objective status. It's an untouchable god-like status that says more about the type of people who review games than it does with the game itself.

Now I love it... but there is a certain type of gamer out there who isn't going to gush like a fanboy about these titles. It's like everyone blows smoke up each others asses when talking about these games.... Oh it's SO blah blah ...... Innovation! Magic!

come back to reality for a second. It's a well designed platformer... this MAGIC IN A BOTTLE talk is a little unrealistic... and for someone who doesn't swallow that pill, it's going to be very alienating....

Red Scarlet

I didn't even like SMG, but I only played 1 level and it was supposedly a bad one (level 2? the bee level?) and what he thought should be in it confused the hell outta me too (I've played the other Mario games though).

BocoDragon

Red Scarlet said:
I didn't even like SMG, but I only played 1 level and it was supposedly a bad one (level 2? the bee level?) and what he thought should be in it confused the hell outta me too (I've played the other Mario games though).
My little brother loathed Mario Galaxy 1.. and he was no troll, he bought a Wii, tried to get into the whole thing... ended up hating it.

So that's at least 3 of you who didn't love it.

So lets can this "you didn't love Mario Galaxy? you must be a stupid moran durr.." thinking.

SYNTAX182

BocoDragon said:
To be fair.. I was re-playing SMG1 today... and while I love it....

I don't think the degree of hyperbolic love these games have gotten accord with some objective status. It's an untouchable god-like status that says more about the type of people who review games than it does with the game itself.

Now I love it... but there is a certain type of gamer out there who isn't going to gush like a fanboy about these titles. It's like everyone blows smoke up each others asses when talking about these games.... Oh it's SO blah blah ...... Innovation! Magic!

come back to reality for a second. It's a well designed platformer... this MAGIC IN A BOTTLE talk is a little unrealistic... and for someone who doesn't swallow that pill, it's going to be very alienating....

Don't really care if he likes the game or not, just laughing at his reasoning behind it.

Red Scarlet

Well, a friend borrowed it and played the first level, then let me do the bee level, then I went back to my dormroom and never saw anything else, so I'd hardly say I gave the game any time. I just didn't like the level I did play, which I guess is not a fan favorite. Never played Sunshine either.

idahoblue said:
Yeah, I think that's right, they have most of the same marketing.

Gamestop bought out EB in the US..and I guess everywhere else too.

fernoca

BocoDragon said:
My little brother loathed Mario Galaxy 1.. and he was no troll, he bought a Wii, tried to get into the whole thing... ended up hating it.

So that's at least 3 of you who didn't love it.

So lets can this "you didn't love Mario Galaxy? you must be a stupid moran durr.." thinking.
Though I think that Red Scarlet said that while she didn't liked Galaxy, she doesn't get why les papillons sexuels was expecting "multiplayer", "story with set pieces" and "party games".

cvxfreak

I first played the Japanese SMG in November 2007. It hit Japan a few days before the U.S. version. I made it to 25 stars or so before I stopped. It was definitely an ambitious and fun game, but there was something about Galaxy that didn't hook me the way Super Mario 64 and even Sunshine did at the onset.

Now in preparation for Galaxy 2, I've gone through the U.S. version of SMG and now I have 55 stars. The second time around, everything clicked.

Getting Galaxy 2 as a birthday present. :D

BocoDragon

SYNTAX182 said:
Don't really care if he likes the game or not, just laughing at his reasoning behind it.
Mario Galaxy 2 should be like Mario Galaxy 1, of course. It's a little silly "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." of course.

But those reviews... they'd have you think "everyone who loves gaming should eat this up! This is the first game I've loved like this in 20 years! All humans should love this game since it's the best thing since Jesus!".

I can see many, many people playing it and going... "Wut? This? huh?"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hard to believe that there isn't something in SMG1 for everyone who posts on this forum. I'm yet to hear anyone with more than a passing interest in video games and video game design actually convincingly elaborate on why they just flat-out don't like SMG.

BocoDragon

Rez said:
I find it hard to believe that there isn't something in SMG1 for everyone who posts on this forum. I'm yet to hear anyone with more than a passing interest in video games and video game design actually convincingly elaborate on why they just flat-out don't like SMG.
Personally.. a lot of this is me is listening to my brother rant against SMG.

He's not crazy. He's not a hater. He's not a hardcore gamer though... more like a casual who gave it the old college try.

And he loathed it. LOATHED IT. So much so, that when I tried to convey that it was not just highly regarded, but objectively highly rated by metacritic.. he was stunned. "No way!!"

I think he is "wrong" about his hatred. But it did cause me to see SMG as not some happy rainbows and fairies game for every person... it is actually the ultimate hardcore gamers game.. which is why its so highly rated by the press (who are all gamers.)

Rez said:

The only criticism I can really leverage against Galaxy is that the experience is much more focused and directed than it was in 64 or Sunshine.

Because of the level structure in the earlier games, you have more freedom to do what you want.

fernoca

From the look of things and what I've played of this one..Nintendo made this game for 2 groups:
1. The ones that loved Galaxy
2. The ones that loved New Super Mario Bros.
Maybe also to those in between that liked both, but not a lot..

But in the end..Galaxy 2 is literally, a celebration of the Mario games...and what the games are all about. Made better with high production values and stuff that plays to the nostalgia of those following the games all this decades..

That's what some of the reviews try to imply and even some..that it may seem like "too much" for some, but is the intention. In using words, you sometimes get to lose the feeling or expression of said words..so when people say 'OMG BEST OF THE AWESOMEST GAME OF TEH FOREVER"..they are basically saying that they love the game so much that words are just not enough....

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Heh, same here. But the tesseract was the 5th dimension, right? Mario still has to go 4D first. :O

Oh, and have you bought the game already?

I have bought the game. IT SHOULD BE HERE IN FIVE DAYS OR SO THANKS AMAZON

and then once I get the game, summer school starts WHICH IS AWESOME.

so i might get around to playing this in about 6-7 weeks. Hell, I'll probably wind up playing Sin & Punishment 2 first.

SYNTAX182

BocoDragon said:
Mario Galaxy 2 should be like Mario Galaxy 1, of course. It's a little silly "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." of course.

But those reviews... they'd have you think "everyone who loves gaming should eat this up! This is the first game I've loved like this in 20 years! All humans should love this game since it's the best thing since Jesus!".

I can see many, many people playing it and going... "Wut? This? huh?"

Well, they have to hype it up, they want the reader to get excited about the game that they just gave a 10/10.

AniHawk

Red Scarlet said:

SMG takes a *long* time to get good. NSMBW is really where it's at. SMG2 though looks like it starts off where SMG got good, but I won't know for sure until I play it.

BocoDragon

fernoca said:
From the look of thing and what I've played of this one..Nintendo made this game for 2 groups:
1. The ones that loved Galaxy
2. The ones that loved New Super Mario Bros.
Maybe also to those in between that liked both, but not a lot..

But in the end..Galaxy 2 is literally, a celebration of the Mario games...and what the games are all about. Made better with high production values and stuff that plays to the nostalgia of those following the games all this decades..

That's what some of the reviews try to imply and even some..that it may seem like "too much" for some, but is the intention. In using words, you sometimes get to lose the feeling or expression of said words..so when people say 'OMG BEST OF THE AWESOMEST GAME OF TEH FOREVER"..they are basically saying that they love the game so much that words are just not enough....
huh... well interesting. I still haven't played Galaxy 2 so I will have to wait to really comment.

SYNTAX182

BocoDragon said:
huh... well interesting. I still haven't played Galaxy 2 so I will have to wait to really comment.

Nah man. You're doing it wrong. It's all about commenting on the game before actually playing it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
idahoblue said:
Guess they haven't bothered to change the name, wonder if they will? Any, pretty OT for this thread, sorry.
I doubt it. There were no Gamestops in Australia when EB was bought out (and still aren't) so it wouldn't make sense to rebrand it.

BocoDragon

Krev said:
I doubt it. There were no Gamestops in Australia when EB was bought out (and still aren't) so it wouldn't make sense to rebrand it.
They kept EB Games in Canada (no Gamestops here either until recently)... now they may be shifting them over... but it's a long term project, opening up the occasional Gamestop with no actual change in the EBs. Gamestop is definitely preserving the EB name in many countries.

Toki767

I could hardly get myself to get like 20 stars in Galaxy 1. Whereas in 2 I've already gotten more than that. I think the level designs in 2 are much more fun to play through and the addition of Yoshi definitely is a nice welcome. That said, I don't know if I could recommend 2 to someone who hated 1. I definitely love 2 though. It makes me feel like I didn't give 1 enough of a chance.

ZeoVGM

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces. Anything to differentiate it from the first, expand on something, anything.

the game still gives me vertigo (the only game I've ever played that game me a headache).

I will admit, the few puzzles I've gotten too have been more challenging then the first game.

But plain and simple. Its a plain and simple game, and I just don't understand the praise.

2iuztcp.gif

^ Conker's Bad Fur Day is obviously great in every aspect but Mario Galaxy doesn't really need those kind of things. Very different games at the core. ;D

zigg

What the hell is going on here.

I came to engage gigantic blocks of spoiler text and say that contrary to my initial impressions, which labelled the post-120-star content as nice but "serene," the back 120 is actually pretty damn awesome.

The Green Stars aren't just "hidden." A lot of the ones I've seen are insane platforming challenges--stuff that people who loved trying to get on top of the castle without the cannon in 64 should love.

For example:
In the world 1 boss galaxy, bouncing across lava to the back wall, backflip wall jump up and spin into a cutout in the tower, then jump out and spin backward onto the wall.
Another:
In Boulder Bowl, instead of knocking over the ramp flat with Rock Mario, wall jump up it between the rails on its sides--only it's too wide, so you'll have to repeatedly wall jump with spins at the end to keep from losing height as you climb. Then carefully walk the thin edge at the top--don't fall--and finally backflip spin into the star.

Basically, this is Galaxy 2's
Star Coins
. Better than anything anyone was imagining :)

theluma

To be honest - and I don't mean to be a dick here - the only reason I could genuinely see someone HATE SMG2 or 2 is if they are just awful at the game. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but both seem just such polished bundles of joy and fun that someone could only hate it if they were physically unable to experience it adequately.

Bentendo

The Honeyhive Galaxy was arguably one of the worst levels in the game. But even then, it was pretty good. :lol With Galaxy, you should play it from the beginning to end, to get a hang of everything. It took about an hour or so before it clicked with me and I realized that this was not only a brilliant game, but one of (if not the) the best games ever released.

To be honest - and I don't mean to be a dick here - the only reason I could genuinely see someone HATE SMG2 or 2 is if they are just awful at the game. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but both seem just such polished bundles of joy and fun that someone could only hate it if they were physically unable to experience it adequately.

I actually 100% agree here. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are, frankly, almost perfectly made games regardless of what someone thinks.

I was just expecting... more. Like maybe some multiplayer mode where I can race on the back of rays or something. Or even some party games like from conkers bad fur day. Possibly an actual story, with set pieces. Anything to differentiate it from the first, expand on something, anything.

the game still gives me vertigo (the only game I've ever played that game me a headache).

I will admit, the few puzzles I've gotten too have been more challenging then the first game.

But plain and simple. Its a plain and simple game, and I just don't understand the praise.

les papillons sexuels
Has No Soul
(Today, 01:53 AM)
Reply | Quote

If any post ever deserved a tag, it's this one.

Bentendo

Fantasy Final said:
So everyone is playing/out getting the game at this point?

My EBGames is not opened until 10AM :/

I haven't gotten it yet. Mine opens 9am central (Kansas time). Luckily I had a nightmare and woke up at 5:00...
was really hoping my internal clock would wake me up at 8:00 so I had time to take a shower and position my candles perfectly so that my experience would be amazing

Brannon

This game is the 2nd biggest disappoint for me this entire generation. I bought the first one, and got duped into thinking this one was going to be different. I am sadly mistaken.

I honestly am shocked and confused by the gaming media for giving this game the reviews it's gotten.

i4qu00.jpg

But then, I feel the same way about Starcraft or Everquest or any MMORPG in general. People love them, but... I just don't care for them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
"the second biggest disappointment of this generation is the sequel to my first biggest disappointment of the generation.

from now on, my mom gets to hold my wallet."

zigg

Bentendo said:
was really hoping my internal clock would wake me up at 8:00 so I had time to take a shower and position my candles perfectly so that my experience would be amazing
That is really something I did not need to hear.

I am going to leave it behind spoiler tags because nobody else needs to hear it either.

rhino4evr

i didn't dislike anything about SMG. I didn't think any of the levels were "bad" at all. If Galaxy 2 improves on the level design I am in for a real treat.

Bentendo

zigg said:
That is really something I did not need to hear.

I am going to leave it behind spoiler tags because nobody else needs to hear it either.

I think I'm going to choose sandy beach and lather cocoa butter lotion on myself. I've yet to decide whether or not to wear a robe or pajamas.

Bentendo

mclem said:
If my maths is right, four tens more will send it past OOT, too. Of course, that's assuming no 9s or 8.8s crop up in that time, which they will.

I honestly don't think that there will be a single review below 9. I think for the most part critics agree that this game is brilliant if not almost perfect.

zigg

camineet said:
I'll ask again. Is there any level in SMG2 that's like Melty Molton Galaxy ?

What do you mean by that. Set on a giant lava planet? Involving a race up a sinking spire?

Top Bottom