• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

jepense

cornontheCoD said:
To everyone complaining about reviews/hyperbole: the way I think about it is the way Gamespot put it. They said that they could not think of any meaningful way to improve the game, so they gave it a 10. No offense or anything, but that doesn't mean that it's everybody's cup of tea.
That should be obvious, really. It's the same with all forms of media and entertainment. There is nothing that would please absolutely everyone. A review of a book/movie/game/whatever is not supposed to directly evaluate the percentage of people who will like it, but explain what the thing is about, how well it accomplishes what it is supposed to, etc. Evaluating how good something is is of course always subjective, but a good reviewer should be able to analyse a work for what it is and recognize if it is good regardless of whether it is his or her personal favorite. And vice versa, even if something is outstandingly good, there will always be people who don't like it.

Sounds like SMG2 is platforming perfection without any unnecessary ballast. That's all I need to know, really.
And so, I think I will stay away from this thread from now on, until I get my own copy...

Dartastic

I'm conflicted. I have my Wii in my room (for Netflix and other assorted things) but downstairs is the big TV and surround sound. I do not always have access to the big TV. Do I move down my Wii?

soldat7 said:
I got the free shipping too (delivery for like June 8 lol), but I have Red Dead and Wind Waker to tide me over.
Buy the game from pretty much anywhere, save your receipt, return the copy from Amazon. That's what me and a bunch of other people in this thread are doing/have done.

Dartastic said:
I'm conflicted. I have my Wii in my room (for Netflix and other assorted things) but downstairs is the big TV and surround sound. I do not always have access to the big TV. Do I move down my Wii?
Mario Galaxy + Surround Sound + 480p is magic. Just thinking about the music makes me wet.

soldat7

Dartastic said:
Buy the game from pretty much anywhere, save your receipt, return the copy from Amazon. That's what me and a bunch of other people in this thread are doing/have done.

I need that $20 credit though!

Dartastic

Fantasy Final said:
Mario Galaxy + Surround Sound + 480p is magic. Just thinking about the music makes me wet.

I have it in 480p on a 32" LCD in my room. The sound isn't too bad either because I've got it hooked up to an external speaker, but the TV downstairs is like a 50/60 something inch rear projection with a Bose Lifestyle 35 on it. SO CONFLICTED.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can you bank/unbank coins? A luma wants 100 coins at the beginning of Floaty Float galaxy or whatever. I got 100 but then I finished the level.

Y2Kev said:
Can you bank/unbank coins? A luma wants 100 coins at the beginning of Floaty Float galaxy or whatever. I got 100 but then I finished the level.

Usually when you see a coin Luma around, there's almost always a switch or green pipe that leads to a coin mini-game where can easily score over the amount the Luma wants. Just need to explore a bit more!

Post-Bowser game spoilers:

Okay, so while I did say that Flip-Swap's Purple Coin was Luigi's Purple Coins on steroids, it turns out there actually IS a new version of Luigi's Purple Coins in this game. This time around, the revolving platforms are replaced by solid ground, but you've got Cosmic Clones behind your back and a mandatory all coins requirement. Right now, I'm tripping up mostly due to the chaos caused by the clones and the new placement of the coins. What's really got my attention though is the next galaxy after this one. RAINBOW ROAD AHOY

has anyone gotten a look at the Limited Edition Strategy Guide for this game. Im just wondering what it comes with that the regular one doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

BocoDragon said:
To be fair.. I was re-playing SMG1 today... and while I love it....

I don't think the degree of hyperbolic love these games have gotten accord with some objective status. It's an untouchable god-like status that says more about the type of people who review games than it does with the game itself.

Now I love it... but there is a certain type of gamer out there who isn't going to gush like a fanboy about these titles. It's like everyone blows smoke up each others asses when talking about these games.... Oh it's SO blah blah ...... Innovation! Magic!

come back to reality for a second. It's a well designed platformer... this MAGIC IN A BOTTLE talk is a little unrealistic... and for someone who doesn't swallow that pill, it's going to be very alienating....
To be perfectly honest, if you aren't at least remotely captivated by the relentless variety and creativity of a game like Galaxy (and, to an even greater extent, Galaxy 2), then much of the brilliance of the game is going to be lost on you. It's a game that is designed with the explicit intent of evoking that sort of magical feeling in all types of gamers, young or old. If it is impossible somehow for you to let go of your inhibitions and enjoy the game like you were a kid again, just for a few short hours, then you will never fully experience the intended majesty.

Sure, I'm a "game critic", and a hardcore gamer at that, but in the end I struggle to see how even many casual gamers wouldn't be smitten by this approach. The so-called "magic in a bottle" to which you refer is more palpable in Galaxy than in any other series if you ask me, and that is honestly a portion of what makes it great.

It isn't some intangible aspect of the game that all critics somehow volley between themselves when writing their reviews; it's the product of a meticulous balance of everything familiar, foreign, creative, and mind-blowing that produces this magical sensation. It's rocketing into a galaxy and taking your first steps onto the soil, simply playing Mario, and yet being whisked uncontrollably through some of the most insane and seemingly impossible environments and concepts ever present in a videogame of this quality, all set to the enchanting score of a 37-piece orchestra. It's constant FUN-first design with all of the decorations, something which the industry seems to so often ignore these days.

To fully enjoy Mario Galaxy, you must be able to be a kid again.

[/$.02]

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Nintendo started with an incredible game and cut the worst parts, embellished on the best parts, then added tons of new best parts. I'll take it.

othersteve said:
To be perfectly honest, if you aren't at least remotely captivated by the relentless variety and creativity of a game like Galaxy (and, to an even greater extent, Galaxy 2), then much of the brilliance of the game is going to be lost on you. It's a game that is designed with the explicit intent of evoking that sort of magical feeling in all types of gamers, young or old. If it is impossible somehow for you to let go of your inhibitions and enjoy the game like you were a kid again, just for a few short hours, then you will never fully experience the intended majesty.

Sure, I'm a "game critic", and a hardcore gamer at that, but in the end I struggle to see how even many casual gamers wouldn't be smitten by this approach. The so-called "magic in a bottle" to which you refer is more palpable in Galaxy than in any other series if you ask me, and that is honestly a portion of what makes it great.

It isn't some intangible aspect of the game that all critics somehow volley between themselves when writing their reviews; it's the product of a meticulous balance of everything familiar, foreign, creative, and mind-blowing that produces this magical sensation. It's rocketing into a galaxy and taking your first steps onto the soil, simply playing Mario, and yet being whisked uncontrollably through some of the most insane and seemingly impossible environments and concepts ever present in a videogame of this quality, all set to the enchanting score of a 37-piece orchestra. It's constant FUN-first design with all of the decorations, something which the industry seems to so often ignore these days.

To full enjoy Mario Galaxy, you must be able to be a kid again.

[/$.02]

slow-clap.gif

Basically Galaxy defines two groups of people:

Those that still have their inner child.
And those that became bitter old cynics.
:p

camineet

Banned
othersteve said:

To full enjoy Mario Galaxy, you must be able to be a kid again.

[/$.02]

this.

neoism

waait a mintue
there's 240 stars in this game mind blown... can you get them before you get the 120 or is it after you beat the game?

neoism

I'm not gettin mine til the 25th, but I popped in G1, I forgot how bad it looks on an HDTV did they make the sequel look a little better on HDTVs??

JRW

Fantasy Final said:

Im playing it on a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma + 7.1 surround and absolutely loving it. Im surprised how awesome 480P looks on these TV's, I was expecting to be disappointed after coming from a XBR960 CRT HDTV.

So Im on World 4 now and can honestly say this game is absolutely incredible.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
othersteve said:

To fully enjoy Mario Galaxy, you must be able to be a kid again.

[/$.02]

The should be added to the OP.

neoism said:
I'm not gettin mine til the 25th, but I popped in G1, I forgot how bad it looks on an HDTV did they make the sequel look a little better on HDTVs??
You must have shitty cables or a mediocre HDTV set. I remember SMG looking great on my HDTV.

pakkit

Banned
17 stars in right now.

The hype machine ruined a bit of Galaxy 1 for me. I already knew a lot about the game, so I was able to pinpoint a lot of quibbles I might have delayed if I hadn't known so much about the game beforehand. I wanted more gravity mechanics and less traditional gameplay with a new spaceworld skin. I came away from the game mighty impressed, but not blown away as I had hoped.

Not so in Galaxy 2. The new pseudo-hub world/world map is a brilliant mesh of old school "jump in and play" and the more modern sandbox from the 3D Marios. The pacing is much, much better. My 11 year old sister is actually engaged by the 2 player experience. The level design is frantic, constantly moving from one gameplay mechanic to the next. Despite all the newbie-friendly features, I don't see how this could conceivably be someone's first 3D Mario game. It moves at an nearly overwhelming pace for me, and I've been playing since 64.

In short, this was the Galaxy I wanted the first time, and more.

JRW

neoism said:
waait a mintue
there's 240 stars in this game mind blown... can you get them before you get the 120 or is it after you beat the game?

From what I understand
first I think you have to beat the game with 120 stars found, then an additional 120 "Green" stars become available, They're all in new locations in the existing levels which often times requires higher difficulty than usual (platforming etc.) to reach them.

pakkit said:
17 stars in right now.

The hype machine ruined a bit of Galaxy 1 for me. I already knew a lot about the game, so I was able to pinpoint a lot of quibbles I might have delayed if I hadn't known so much about the game beforehand. I wanted more gravity mechanics and less traditional gameplay with a new spaceworld skin. I came away from the game mighty impressed, but not blown away as I had hoped.

Not so in Galaxy 2. The new pseudo-hub world/world map is a brilliant mesh of old school "jump in and play" and the more modern sandbox from the 3D Marios. The pacing is much, much better. My 11 year old sister is actually engaged by the 2 player experience. The level design is frantic, constantly moving from one gameplay mechanic to the next. Despite all the newbie-friendly features, I don't see how this could conceivably be someone's first 3D Mario game. It moves at an nearly overwhelming pace for me, and I've been playing since 64.

In short, this was the Galaxy I wanted the first time, and more.
I wasn't impressed with Galaxy at all. From what it sounds like Galaxy 2 addresses a lot of my criticisms fro the first one. My only concern is the game still centers around tiny linear levels. To me that's what really hurt Galaxy.

Top Bottom