• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

BowieZ

Banned
othersteve said:
The Blue Jihad,

I appreciate your counterpoint, but I really do think you misunderstand what I mean. No game is perfect, but you have to wonder if you're in the minority in your sentiment when nearly every critic out there has sung the praises of this magnificent game.
This certainly isn't the best reasoning to use when issuing a counter-rebuttal ;)

Darkgran

10 stars in.

The level design is brilliant. They keep throwing things at you that are unique and different in every galaxy I have seen so far.

I have been smiling the whole time I have been playing it. :D

Love, Love, Love it.

MoxManiac

Finally got 120 stars in Galaxy 1 in prep for 2. Haven't done the Luigi side yet, will probably save that for as an excuse to come back to Galaxy 1 someday.

JRW

ForzaItalia said:
Hmmm, weird man. Maybe you got faulty cables. I thought SMG looked great on my HDTV.

Anyone else?

I thought SMG looked great on my 50" Plasma, I mean, there's only so much you can expect with 480P.

Galaxy_480p.jpg

hatchx

Banned
11 stars in. Amazing.

I already racked up 40 1ups, but I've died a good number of times. I really like the new layout of the world map.

BowieZ said:
This certainly isn't the best reasoning to use when issuing a counter-rebuttal ;)
Honestly, it isn't a rebuttal, but a justification; that's all. Though truly, that isn't even really possible beyond what I've already said in the review.

I truly just think it comes down to creativity. This game gets it right in all the right ways, and as such, it's managed to captivate almost everyone who's spent ample time with it (and has taken the time to leave their opinion). Of course, most of those people are game critics like myself, as we're obligated to do so via our work. :) But that doesn't mean our opinions are any different from that of the general public. And there has to be a reason why everyone feels that way.

I'm sure there are some uptight elitist game critics out there as well, but that's not what this is about. We are supposed to play games like everyone else and honestly try to view their impact and measure their quality from as centralized a perspective as possible. You can't be 100% objective, but you can try. And try as I might, I simply could not find any means (as Gamespot's editors put it) by which to measurably improve Galaxy 2. That counts for a hell of a lot when you are so used to picking apart a product and measuring its deficiencies in context with the whole.

I really don't know what to say other than simply that not everyone can agree on anything. I would argue that Galaxy is still today one of the greatest games ever created--definitely in my top 15 anyway--and Galaxy 2 is, by all accounts, even better. What more can be said? :)

Scribble

Running into Bowser seated on his throne, his head rested against his fist, apathetically waiting for yet another Mario confrontation = the best 'cutscene' in gaming history.

Kard8p3

BowieZ said:
Compare these.

SMW: Castle Theme (Coda)
SMG2: Hurry!

Note that it's not meant to be 1:1

EDIT: Actually, it's basically an abridged version of the whole castle theme, so it's more than just the Coda section that's quoted, but anyway.

LOL you just posted that track :lol

Yeah I was listening to hurry! as I was posting and right after I posted I was like hmm I think I'm already listening to it. I really love the hurry! them and to realize that it's a version of the SMW castle theme just made it that much better.

Nose Master

Allow me to cordially say: Fuck Yoshi's hot pepper controls. The level with the coin luma and the hot pepper controls made me want to die.

Game is awesome though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
At what point in Mario history did Yoshi go from sounding like an awesome dinosaur to sounding like Kim Kardashian? Was it Yoshi's Story?

Pimpbaa

Does this game have the same funky interlacing crap like the first one? Made the first game look like ass on HDTVs compared to some other true 480p Wii games.

Hobbun

I'm playing the first Mario Galaxy right now, at 32 stars. Will probably take a break before I start SMG2. This one is pissing me off as it is right now.

Fuck you
Bouldergeist! I beat him normally, but can't get past the Daredevil Comet

othersteve,

Haha, no doubt I'm in the minority. Thing is, it's not that I feel positive reviews are out of line (wait that doesn't make sense...I think I fixed it). I've in fact stated what I enjoyed about the game. Some parts of it are phenomenally good. But I take issue with the levels of hyperbole surrounding SMG1.

Hell, I take issue with any level of hyperbole where the game in question is treated as a sacred cow. Obviously there's no hard metric for reviews, but I firmly believe that if a review does not spend any amount of time on what a game doesn't do right...then it's not a worthwhile review.

Do I expect every review to be dry analysis? No. I don't expect anyone to be a robot. And I can't expect that, either.

But at the same time, whenever I see a review that awards a 10/10, or that remains glowingly positive the entire way through...I click next. I don't care about the 10/10s. I care about the 9/10s. I care about the 8/10s. You know, the reviews that review the game.

I do remain optimistic about SMG2, because from what I've read, Nintendo saw the same kinds of issues as I did with the first game. That's one of the great ironies, too...that Nintendo is harder on themselves than their fans. Where a fan says a Nintendo game is perfect, Nintendo's got a laundry list of fixes, changes, and improvements to make. So in a sense, I'm not in the minority. haha

Y2Kev said:
At what point in Mario history did Yoshi go from sounding like an awesome dinosaur to sounding like Kim Kardashian? Was it Yoshi's Story?
Yeah it was during that fateful development that the Kardashians were accidentally let into Nintendo headquarters.

Nose Master

Anyone else really impressed with the bosses this time around? They're actually kind of difficult. And well, cool looking. Galaxy 1 spoilers?:
(Fuck you, bouldergeist. You ugly piece of shit.)

Hey Blue,

I guess it's sort of like a new car. The moment you drive that new Honda Accord into your garage, you're thinking about how fantastic it is. Even after the new car smell wears off and the initial shock has subsided, it manages to continually please. It's logical, full-featured, and easy to manage. It's fun. The cars that remain impressive even after the Honeymoon period are those that are the best.

But it's improvable, and it always is when the next model arrives. That doesn't mean the previous one wasn't fantastic for its time, however.

That's how I look at it. Galaxy was damn near perfect. So close, it wasn't worth docking it points. That's rare for me, as I take a 10 seriously. In our metric, it doesn't mean "perfect", but rather "Legendary". So close it isn't worth bothering.

Galaxy 2 is, in fact, even better; improved. But that's what also makes it a 10: it's improved to the point where, 2.5 years later, it's still that impressive. Moreso, even, but that's difficult to quantify. At a particular point, the job of a true critic becomes partially emotional; partially intangible. That is, the point where you truly cannot find anything to meaningfully criticize about a product.

Can you believe that Galaxy 2 is the first game that's done that to me? Even 1 had a few camera hiccups here and there, though not enough to warrant a 9.9, as it was by far the best 3-D platforming game I'd played to date at that point. Gamespot clearly felt the same way, as they didn't even include a "The Bad" table as they invariably do. Other critics seemingly can't find anything measurably wrong with it either.

This game is that good. Maybe you won't enjoy it as much, somehow, but I sure as hell do. :) But seriously, I really do appreciate the discussion.

Hobbun

Nose Master said:
Anyone else really impressed with the bosses this time around? They're actually kind of difficult. And well, cool looking.

This doesn't bode well for me. I have never been incredibly good with these kinds of games. Yes, I know they have it where you can play itself, but getting a bronze star, fuck that.

Nose Master said:
(Fuck you, bouldergeist. You ugly piece of shit.)

*high fives* So agree.

sphinx

the piano man
so what was the thing with the Sonic picture? Any truth to that? people keep posting it in other forums and sites...:p

loosus

Banned
othersteve said:
Hey Blue,

I guess it's sort of like a new car. The moment you drive that new Honda Accord into your garage, you're thinking about how fantastic it is. Even after the new car smell wears off and the initial shock has subsided, it manages to continually please. It's logical, full-featured, and easy to manage. It's fun. The cars that remain impressive even after the Honeymoon period are those that are the best.

But it's improvable, and it always is when the next model arrives. That doesn't mean the previous one wasn't fantastic for its time, however.

That's how I look at it. Galaxy was damn near perfect. So close, it wasn't worth docking it points. That's rare for me, as I take a 10 seriously. In our metric, it doesn't mean "perfect", but rather "Legendary". So close it isn't worth bothering.

Galaxy 2 is, in fact, even better; improved. But that's what also makes it a 10: it's improved to the point where, 2.5 years later, it's still that impressive. Moreso, even, but that's difficult to quantify. At a particular point, the job of a true critic becomes partially emotional; partially intangible. That is, the point where you truly cannot find anything to meaningfully criticize about a product.

Can you believe that Galaxy 2 is the first game that's done that to me? Even 1 had a few camera hiccups here and there, though not enough to warrant a 9.9, as it was by far the best 3-D platforming game I'd played to date at that point. Gamespot clearly felt the same way, as they didn't even include a "The Bad" table as they invariably do. Other critics seemingly can't find anything measurably wrong with it either.

This game is that good. Maybe you won't enjoy it as much, somehow, but I sure as hell do. :) But seriously, I really do appreciate the discussion.
Wow. What the fuck are you on about?

BowieZ

Banned
He's saying for all intents and purposes, Galaxy 1 deserved a 10 in 2007 and Galaxy 2 deserves a 10 in 2010 (because it improved sufficiently over Galaxy 1 in those 2½ years).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Scythesurge said:
Yeah it was during that fateful development that the Kardashians were accidentally let into Nintendo headquarters.
Well that explains why Yoshi can't BUTT STOMP

I love the Athletic Theme here and also the spicy yoshi :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Nose Master said:
Spoiler tag what? I was talking about boulder in the first, the fact there's bosses is a spoiler? :lol
My bad; thought you implied he was in this game. Also, I thought he was one of the coolest looking bosses in SMG1... so the ugly comment didn't process :lol

SuperJay

17 stars in, just beat Bowser's first castle. AMAZING. The Yoshi integration is flawless --(so, so, SO much better than sunshine)

sphinx said:
so what was the thing with the Sonic picture? Any truth to that? people keep posting it in other forums and sites...:p
If you go throughout the game without dying or touching checkpoints, you'll get it when you get 241 stars.

Hobbun

BowieZ said:
My bad; thought you implied he was in this game. Also, I thought he was one of the coolest looking bosses in SMG1... so the ugly comment didn't process :lol

Right now, anything negative said towards BG I would agree with, he is fucking pissing me off. :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
loosus said:
Wow. What the fuck are you on about?
Haha, I was wondering the same thing. That was an embarrassing read. It's basically more of the same with some new ideas thrown in. SMG1 was awesome, so naturally this sequel is as well. It just doesn't wow me in the same way the first did.

Koodo

Banned
I finished Portal a few days ago, so having Peach offer me cake at the start of this game felt wrong.

omg the first few galaxies are glorious; this game is glorious!

Zing

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I played galaxy 1 all morning...game is still great. Did I read they took out the save game question after every star? Thank god, there is no reason someone should have to choose to save the game every 5 minutes...I'm glad it works automatically. Also going back the hub world is a bit annoying, especialy when you want to go to the secret garden.

Not only did they remove the question, but saving is over in a moment, unlike SMG1 where it took seconds. If it took as long in SMG2, I would be hating Nintendo for forcing to save every time. In SMG1, I only saved when I wanted to quit.

Brannon

This game does not stop. Why does this game not stop? It's hogging all the awesome; it needs to stop hogging it and share it with the rest of the developers.

Top Bottom