• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Lamel

Banned
w1ej4j.jpg

Got it!

Impressions so far...10 stars in..

So I was pretty underwhelmed with the first level. Until I got to the first Yoshi level, and from then on, things picked up so much. It is just a pure blast so far. Certainly meeting and exceeding expectations. The boss battles with Digga-Legs and the Bowser Jr. Stage Dragon thing were super fun. Yoshi is so fun to use and very easy too. Game itself is hitting the sweet spot in terms of challenge. Time to go play the puzzle plank galaxy :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just got back. Got Trauma Team, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Final Fantasy X.

I feel bad for tarnishing the first two by purchasing FFX... but I had a spare twenty bucks and I never finished it, so I figured I might as well make that my JRPG of the summer.

ivysaur12

Banned
Is it weird if I'm slightly disappointed? I just finished World 1 and... I don't know. It realize they're trying to get you to understand the mechanics of the new power-ups, Yoshi, etc, but I just want to put the creativity on overdrive. At this point it kinda feels like Mario Galaxy 1.5

ivysaur12 said:
Is it weird if I'm slightly disappointed? I just finished World 1 and... I don't know. It realize they're trying to get you to understand the mechanics of the new power-ups, Yoshi, etc, but I just want to put the creativity on overdrive. At this point it kinda feels like Mario Galaxy 1.5
Keep going. :)

Lamel

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

I am sort of on the same boat, but it's getting exponentially better with every stage. I believe we have just cracked the tip of the iceberg. Can't wait to play some more :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ivysaur12 said:

The pacing's actually better in this game, IMHO.
You get introduced to the powers sooner and they mix things right away.
So it's not typically one world, one or two powers to exploit.
They're not bashful about mixing powers or throwing lots of bosses, and those few that are mostly remixed from the first game either have double life, or feature a new gimmick, now pattern, and/or require a new power to defeat.
Finally, whereas the first game had something like 3-7 stars per galaxy, here's it's more like 2-4 stars per galaxy, which of course means that they're loads more galaxies to enjoy!
Really, don't just judge it by the first world.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm kind of blown away by how little is reused from SMG1. I have 23 stars and I just saw my first "click to pull" blue star.

Mejilan

Y2Kev said:
I'm kind of blown away by how little is reused from SMG1. I have 23 stars and I just saw my first "click to pull" blue star.

What is re-used is just so much better!

Jasoco

Banned
The
Purple coins weren't bad. It was just a few that were designed badly. Like the timed ones and that goddamned LPC.

Mejilan

Lies, the purple coins were awesome!
I've done a few in SMG2, and they haven't been as tough as some of SMG1's.
Yet. :D

Beth Cyra

brandonh83 said:
GOD
THE FUCKING PURPLE COIN ARE RETURN FUUUUUCKKKKK NOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn it, not only that but the
the damn trash star did as well but with the fire flower as part of it to. The two things I hated most about Galaxy.

Quick questions about the game from the middle of the second world (galaxy?)

Do you unlock more stars for past galaxies as you continue playing? I don't remember the structure from Galaxy 1 since the last time I played a brand new game there was 2-3 years ago.

What are the comet coins for? I've collected them all so far and I don't see any comets.

Also, goty. the game is amazing.

Glix

Linkzg said:
Quick questions about the game from the middle of the second world (galaxy?)

Do you unlock more stars for past galaxies as you continue playing? I don't remember the structure from Galaxy 1 since the last time I played a brand new game there was 2-3 years ago.

What are the comet coins for? I've collected them all so far and I don't see any comets.

Also, goty. the game is amazing.

Comet Coins should start working shortly for you. I think they want you to play a bunch before you start going back and doing comet challenges

ruffles

Hardest comet star purple coins challenge has been the flip switch stage. My Wimote wasn't registering the shakes so I had to use the nunchuck

eXistor

It's such a bitch knowing that SMG2 is in transit right now and here you guys are playing the goty already. I could have waited for the European release, but fuck that, that's not for another 2 weeks. I need my GOTY as soon as possible. The bonus dvd isn't included in the US release though is it?

Glix

RobbieNick said:
I miss Rosalina. I'd take her over the Luma Grimace anyday.:lol

She's around somewhere I think.
Someone has been sending letters to my lums, claiming to be their mother or whatever.

Can someone explain what it means when the game tells me a
"ghost"
appears on a level? It happens on "complete" levels where I have the silver crown, so I don't get it.

kman3000

This game is amazing!

I'm 12 stars in and on the Hightail Waterfall Galaxy.

I died so much the Super Guide appeared, so I figured it was time for a break.:lol

Can't wait to play more!:D

kman3000 said:
This game is amazing!

I'm 12 stars in and on the Hightail Waterfall Galaxy.

I died so much the Super Guide appeared, so I figured it was time for a break.:lol

Can't wait to play more!:D
what does the super guide look like? just like NSMBW?

darkwings

Banned
Okay I have played for 5 hours now and here are my early impressions after 35 stars:

Make no mistake, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a wonderful game. It is packed with entertainment and it is one of the finest 3D platformers ever. However, it really is SMG 1.5. Yeah, most stuff from SMG1 is reused, which I can completely understand since it is an awesome game. Nintendo's comments made you believe that it has a lot of new stuff in it, which is highly debatable. The graphics isn't really better, Yoshi is sparsely used just like in NSMB, the Music is great, but a lot of tunes reused and Mario got the same moves. The new powerups are cool though, I gotta admit that. As far as difficulty, I am not finding this game harder (atleast not yet) I am at world 3 and breezing through it. I hope it gets tougher.

Even though I dont feel it is SMG 2.0, the game is so fun that it doesn't really matter.

huh, I am on the opinion that a lot of stuff are reused.

joetachi

Glix said:
She's around somewhere I think.
Someone has been sending letters to my lums, claiming to be their mother or whatever.

"ghost"
appears on a level? It happens on "complete" levels where I have the silver crown, so I don't get it.
The "ghost" is a race between you and the testers.

Mejilan

Glix said:
"ghost"

Beat a stage with the other character (when available) and you unlock a developer ghost to compete against for that stage. Not all stages have this, I'm sure.
A silver crown means that you've found all the Power Stars for that galaxy.

Mejilan

Haha, I think I found a purple coin challenge that it's a bit of an homage to the Mario 128 tech demo! :lol

Good God, where did my day go?

I planned on popping it in, checking out a galaxy or two, but spending more time with RDR. I've been playing Galaxy 2 non-stop since I got it at 11. I haven't even eaten yet today.

It looks like I'll have to put RDR on hold until Galaxy 2's done...

Garcia

43 stars in, just reached level 5.

Veredict: So much better than SMG 1. Totally :D :D

Although I have to admit I haven't been Wowed by it. It's extremely fun but of course it lacks the -omg- value SMG1 had.

Despite that, this game is amazing ! =)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Amazon shipped my copy yesterday, got my fingers crossed it comes tomorrow. Fortunately, one-day arrival is normal for me :D

darkwings

Banned
Garcia said:
43 stars in, just reached level 5.

Veredict: So much better than SMG 1. Totally :D :D

Although I have to admit I haven't been Wowed by it. It's extremely fun but of course it lacks the -omg- value SMG1 had.

Despite that, this game is amazing ! =)

That's exactly what I said. It doesnt wow because it has been done before, but it doesnt matter since it is so fun.

Lamel

Banned
So far the two Galaxies that have blown me away are Cosmic Cove and Honeybloom. Also, this game feels better than Galaxy 1 in every way. One thing I am bummed about is that the jungle galaxy (the one with fluzzard) only seems to be a minigame esque thing? It looked so good, I want to actually play around on the level. Reminds me of dk 64.

/worship

Mejilan

World 1 fully cleared, all Power Stars acquired.
50 Stars total (and yet, only 2 Grand Stars!)
Fucking amazing game.
Lightning can strike twice, and all that.

RobbieNick

Saadster said:
So far the two Galaxies that have blown me away are Cosmic Cove and Honeybloom. Also, this game feels better than Galaxy 1 in every way. One thing I am bummed about is that the jungle galaxy (the one with fluzzard) only seems to be a minigame esque thing? It looked so good, I want to actually play around on the level. Reminds me of dk 64.

/worship

I believe that same bird is in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Same developers.

Mejilan

A little later in the game (around 30 Stars for me), you'll unlock Prankster Stars. There seems to be at least 1 Prankster Comet per galaxy. Prankster Comets "tweak" the galaxies and provide additional challenges, like speed runs, purple coin hunts, daredevil challenges (boss fights where you only have 1 block of health), etc. The more Comet Coins you find (1 per galaxy), the more Prankster Comets show up. I believe a Prankster Comet will never show up for a galaxy if you haven't found that galaxy's Comet Coin first.

BowieZ

Banned
JRW said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 music rip, MP3 VBR V0, fully tagged (not my rip)
This is great, although there's still no sign of the Slider theme or the Athletic remix or I think any of the other MIDI based tracks. So personally I'm going to stick to the YouTube channel until a complete soundtrack is made available.

Top Bottom