• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got about 36 stars and this game is fucking magnificent.
I think it really IS better than the first.

Platy

Shiggy said:
So it's just like it was in the first game. No live hoarding :( ;D

And like the first game, if you walk 3 seconds in the hub you can get some more, not talking about letter 1ups

Mejilan

Whew. The flip-switch purple coin challenge was fun! :D
Edit - OMG! Now a purple coin tree trunk slide challenge!

fernoca

Shiggy said:
Are the lives saved when switching off the Wii or is it like in SMG1?
Like SMG1.
But you still receive letters from Peach...."Zup Mario, I got captured as always...here are 5 extra lives, because I know you'll die in the ball stages...a lot <3 Peach".

wRATH2x

Banned
Rez said:
I hate when I get near the end of a book and the publisher spoils it by letting the right side of the book get thinner and the left get thicker.

I always get paranoid about finishing games too quickly.
I do too. With Brutal Legend I went crazy trying to get everything to prolong the game.

Glix

Mejilan said:
Edit - OMG! Now a purple coin tree trunk slide challenge!

The tree took me a number of tries. I used the um
alternate character choice

Doorman

Picked it up this morning, probably...oh...23 stars or so into the game. I just got my first taste of World 3.

I've been enjoying what I've played so far, certainly, but I'm a little disappointed that I haven't fully experienced the same mindblowing, "magical" experience of so many other people in this thread. I think that my 'audience' has quite a bit to do with that.

My two older sisters have been around while I was playing, and neither of them are impressed with anything Mario-related, or at least haven't been for a long time. I've already heard a few renditions of the "95% new content!" joke whenever I remark about the return of a classic enemy or the few characters that do carry over from Galaxy 1, they both like games with stronger story and characters so that obviously hasn't done the trick either. One of them asked if Rosalina was in the game so I tried to explain about the Cosmic Guide a little, and she reacted in more or less the same way that most people did when they heard about a feature that lets the game beat things for you.

In short, Nintendo can't seem to break into their nostalgia-zones, and as a result of their lukewarm reception while they watch me play, it's forcing me to keep my hype levels down. I'm really looking forward to digging into the deeper challenges too, since a lot of the stars so far have been the basics of the power-ups everyone knew about, and some clips that they've shown since the first trailer or two. I'm trying to be wowed...it just hasn't happened yet.

Boney

Banned
Mejilan said:
Fuck that shit! Did it on my frist try only to realize I was missing 2 coins. And now I can´t do it! My brain shut down or something :lol

Oh well, time to take a break. The game is magnificent.

BowieZ

Banned
Doorman said:
lukewarm reception while they watch me play, it's forcing me to keep my hype levels down
You're basing your enjoyment/hype of the game on someone else's experience who's not even playing it? :lol I appreciate the anecdote and I understand where you're coming from, but there's a reason the slogan isn't: "watching someone else playing is believing".

Mejilan

Hahaha, first time I did the purple coin slide challenge, I wound up with 99 purple coins! Woops!

Glix said:
The tree took me a number of tries. I used the um
alternate character choice

So did I! That's the second one I beat like that!

Doorman

BowieZ said:
You're basing your enjoyment/hype of the game on someone else's experience who's not even playing it? :lol I appreciate the anecdote and I understand where you're coming from, but there's a reason the slogan isn't: "watching someone else playing is believing".
No, I'm not basing my enjoyment on the game on their reaction exactly...but only so many times can I go "fuck yeah that was awesome" only to be met with a sarcastic "that was it?" The best I seem to be able to manage without receiving ridicule is an understated "oh, that was cool."

It's like if you really love a movie but you saw it with a bunch of people that thought it was boring. You're not going to be bouncing out of the theater freaking out over it. Or maybe you are, I don't know what sort of person you are. But it's more fun to share an experience with other people when they also love it, moreso than not.

Amir0x

Banned
HolyMario.jpg

the return of our lord and savior
Mario Mario
benedictus qui venit
caelitus mihi vires

*does the sign of the mushroom across chest*

Haunted

Kard8p3 said:
That song is awesome.

Doorman said:
No, I'm not basing my enjoyment on the game on their reaction exactly...but only so many times can I go "fuck yeah that was awesome" only to be met with a sarcastic "that was it?" The best I seem to be able to manage without receiving ridicule is an understated "oh, that was cool."

It's like if you really love a movie but you saw it with a bunch of people that thought it was boring. You're not going to be bouncing out of the theater freaking out over it. Or maybe you are, I don't know what sort of person you are. But it's more fun to share an experience with other people when they also love it, moreso than not.
So basically, the people you're playing with hamper your enjoyment of the game. I can understand that. It's like watching a movie while you have a couple clothespins on your balls. The movie won't stay in your mind as a particularly good one, I'm sure.

Oh, here's a crazy thought. GET RID OF THOSE CLOTHESPINS :p

Doorman said:

Don't play around them?

"Hey guys, I know this movie is supposed to be amazing and all, but for some reason I don't enjoy it as much as that. My little brother was kicking me in the side of the head the entire time but that can't be the reason, right?"

Negative Nancys :p

Boney

Banned
Doorman said:
Games are meant to be played. It would be like watching the movie with your sisters, but you're with headphones listening to it, and you're sisters, well, aren't.

Red Scarlet said:
Hey, you guys all have a lot of fun, ok?
We will! hope you do as well!

Doorman

Haunted said:
Oh, here's a crazy thought. GET RID OF THOSE CLOTHESPINS :p
Easier said than done, when it's their house and they have work to do in the same room. :p

I will add, though, that in these early goings there have been some goals that I do feel are a little too easily rehashed from the first SMG, and that's kept me somewhat tempered as well.

For example (very early game spoilers)...
Runing behind a dino-piranha plant to attack him in the back?
Did that already, twice...
Chasing down a rabbit for a star?
Done that already...
Wall-jumping up a pair of frozen waterfalls...
done already, though slightly different means.
Stomping a giant cricket boss three times...
done already.

The parts that are totally new have been GREAT. And as the game goes on I expect to see more of that and less of the retreads. I want to give the soundtrack some more time to sink in too, though Puzzle Plank's theme really did make me happy.

Boney

Banned
Doorman said:
I will add, though, that in these early goings there have been some goals that I do feel are a little too easily rehashed from the first SMG, and that's kept me somewhat tempered as well.
The parts that are totally new have been GREAT. And as the game goes on I expect to see more of that and less of the retreads. I want to give the soundtrack some more time to sink in too, though Puzzle Plank's theme really did make me happy.
What about reminesnce? When you go, "boring I already did that". I go "sweet, that was awesome!"
I could be out of line and totally wrong, but I think you're presenting yourself full of cynism the moment you play it.

Doorman said:

Tie them up in the basement. You can let them out when you've finished the game.

minus_273

Banned
Holy crap. this game came out today right? This just popped into the top 3 for today on my Ncard service. Granted there are under 1000 people using this, ive never seen this happen before. It took a few days for something like NSMB Wii to move up the ranks.

Most Played Games Right Now:

1.New Super Mario Bros. Wii
2.Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3.Super Mario Galaxy 2
4.Little King's Story
5.Monster Hunter Tri
6.Wii Sports Resort
7.Red Steel 2
8.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition
9.Super Mario Galaxy
10.No More Heroes

Londa

Banned
Just bought this game for my nephew but I think that I'm going to be stealing it away from him whenever I have the chance. Good thing he got two games this time so he can play the other while I play this one. :D

Doorman

Boney said:
What about reminesnce? When you go, "boring I already did that". I go "sweet, that was awesome!"
I could be out of line and totally wrong, but I think you're presenting yourself full of cynism the moment you play it.
I would hope I'm not full of cynicism already...along with those examples I mentioned there have also been cases where things from Galaxy returned that I was absolutely happy to see back. For whatever reason, the ice skating just never seems to get old for me.

I guess I just pointed it out because the reviewers always seemed to make it a point to say that the game is always throwing new things at you. Well...some of the things it's been throwing aren't exactly new, not within the Mario series taken as a whole anyway. I think I can just chalk that up to reviewer hyperbole for the moment though.

Jasoco

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Canadian Galaxy?
Haha. Yeah. I was watching South Park with my girlfriend one day and she asked "Is Saddam supposed to be Canadian?" Because he uses the same cut off jaw method as normal Canadians do on the show. And no, he isn't. It's just how they animate "real life" actors with photos for faces. :lol

Taking a dinner break. But dammmmmn this is soooooo awesome. On World 3 now.

Also... a review at gamexplain.com made an interesting point. Why are they called worlds? When they contain galaxies? Shouldn't they be like.. "universes"? :lol

Top Bottom