• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

EzLink

Banned
Without spoiling what it is, is it worth it to get all
stars? I didn't find the reward in the first one to be worth all the effort to get everything. I quit after the first 120, but I'm hoping Galaxy 2 provides enough incentive to want to get every single one

Vitet

BowieZ said:
Meanwhile, a few negative opinions on the soundtrack over at that FFshrine site:

Well, I don't share the first poster vision:
Intro is pretty different.
The rhythm cell is simplier: it uses the "Back to the Future Cell" as I like to call it :lol, SMG1 is more elaborated.
SMG2 Credits doesn't have a slow section like SMG1
The Gusty Garden Recap is awesome

Anyway I like SMG1 Credits more xD
It seem better structurated and with a more defined theme work. And the reprise after the slow part is amazing

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This game... I was trying to list what aspects I've been liking the most but after noticing I would end up mentioning everything I just gave up. No point in going into specifics when every single moment was as good as the previous one. I'm happy I went into media blackout (and skipped all the discussion about lack of plot, review scores, lol wat, etc). Every new area has me surprised and smiling.

Design, music, creativity, polish, all as great as expected. In fact, because I'm so used to Galaxy I'm having even more fun with this one. It's more and better Galaxy and, considering the first one is my most replayed game this gen, a sequel is exactly what I needed.

Tiktaalik

beat the spin dig boss and I'll take a break and go to the store and figure out what I'm going to have for dinner.

I'm super happy with what I've seen so far. It seems like Mario fans got a fantastic followup to Galaxy here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
fernoca said:
Also, experience..maybe..
In many cases the GBs are just filled with redundant data ..maybe since they already knew on what they were working on, knew the engine..just used the necessary space. Probably the first game still has the original-not upgraded textures from when the first game was shown ..or something..in there...or they found other ways to do similar effects and visual quality..with less memory.

Well, dummy data is stripped out when we talk about Wii installation sizes though.

JRW

Am I missing something on bowser stage? Is there
a comet challenge or something else to make it show a completion crown icon lke the rest of the levels? I took a snap off my tv screen here: LINK

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Guys...This game...This...game.

Dude. DUDE!

breakdancingninja.gif
breakdancingninja.gif
breakdancingninja.gif

2j42eiu.jpg

breakdancingninja.gif
breakdancingninja.gif
breakdancingninja.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate when you're doing a really hard platforming stage collecting pieces or coins and you get the last one and the star is on the other side of the goddamn map :lol

16 Stars in...it's fucking great...no doubt. Only thing I'm not too sure about right now, I think I like the original hub better. It gave you that sense of "oh I so wanna go there so I'll keep playing for more stars". And each section somehow had a theme to it (if I remember correctly). Now it's just a normal, regular map. Doesn't give me that sense of exploration anymore.

Small complain though, now going for more :D

Cosmic Cove music...OMG

Pappasman

I don't think I've had this much genuine fun with a game in a long time. This is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to hear more throwback music.

fernoca

In Sunshine, you couldn't even touch the water with Yoshi (insta-kill)..it seems they change Yoshi depending on the game.. (at least here, he can swim)

Kard8p3

EzLink said:
Without spoiling what it is, is it worth it to get all
stars? I didn't find the reward in the first one to be worth all the effort to get everything. I quit after the first 120, but I'm hoping Galaxy 2 provides enough incentive to want to get every single one

I think it's worth it.

JRW said:
Am I missing something on bowser stage? Is there
a comet challenge or something else to make it show a completion crown icon lke the rest of the levels? I took a snap off my tv screen here: LINK

yes there will be a comet challenge there later.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This game is pure fun. Glad I stayed on lockdown. Up to world 3, it's already surpassed SMG1 in my book. Looks great on my 42" Vierra (via component). As it stands, this is right behind Red Dead for me in my GOTY vote. That is great company.

Is it me or are 1UP's easy to build up? GAF hype was mostly right about this one :)

fernoca

LiquidMetal14 said:
Is it me or are 1UP's easy to build up?
Like the first one, lives are easy to get ..because you lose them when you quit/turn off the game..

Is like "lives per playthrough"....more than anything.

Kard8p3 said:
No but I did it anyway.

Haha same. Playing that game was its own reward. :p

But I'm glad that it's a little more worthwhile this time around. Makes me feel less depressed about how fast I'm collecting stars!

zigg

Nose Master said:
Do you get anything for beating a
ghost
?
Not that I could tell. It doesn't even seem to acknowledge your victory.

If anyone finds out differently I'd love to know.

clav

Damn it. I can't complete the 2nd and 3rd world completely because of these two stars

1. Wild Glide Galaxy Star #2: Race. Fluzzard won't go faster even though I'm tilting the remote down to go faster. I always get stuck in second place and not farther to first. What the hell am I doing wrong???

I'm loving the nostalgic feature of flying. Feels like a throwback to the Mario 64 flying mechanic.

2. The wood slide prankster purple coin challenge: Which character is the best to use here? Aside from the nostalgic Mario 64 slide music, the slide mechanics are broken! I can't brake or jump backwards. I always miss a few purple coins down the straight line and near the end there are some stupid tight corners that always get me because of the broken controls!

Aside from that, this game will be the game of the forever aside from:

1. Fire flower trash star.
2. Gimmicky inaccurate motion of the pivoting star ball to the finish.
3. Timed prankster levels that require you to memorize layouts of the level. I'd rather much prefer a newer part of the level done quickly so it feels fresher.
4. Dumb camera on the spider legged boss fight resulting broken controls. You get confused when to press up/down or left/right to even simply move mario.
5. Useless e-mails about how to play the game from the rabbit.

I'll definitely recommend this game over the first galaxy. I love how each gimmick if you love it or hate it does not last long and isn't a skill to beat the other levels once you mastered it.

It's simply a game of everything that the Wii can provide in a motion control experience along with challenging platforming. I almost felt like I was playing a classic Genesis Sonic game in some levels.

Some of these stars are really time consuming and really exhaust you once achieving them. I can only go on to achieve at the most 10-15 stars before needing to take a break.

Absolutely the most fun I have had in a single-player game recently.

Somnia

Haven't had a Wii since after mario galaxy. Just ordered a black wii with mario galaxy 2, twilight princess (already beat it but why not...), new super mario bros, monster hunter tri (and a new classic controller pro), silent hill and RE4 :D

Mejilan

The rolly star bar controls are excellent! I never understood the complaints. Not in SMG1 or this one. They're perfectly responsive. The only thing you need to worry about is moving back to the neutral position when you want to slow down/stop. For the first rolly star ball galaxy, I cleared both the regular and Prankster Comet versions at my first go!

claviertekky said:
1. Wild Glide Galaxy Star #2: Race. Fluzzard won't go faster even though I'm tilting the remote down to go faster. I always get stuck in second place and not farther to first. What the hell am I doing wrong???

I just tilted down as much as possible. Also, it seems that if you tilt back up after you see the speedy wind trails, then you'll swoop up a bit before slowing down, so you should be able to squeeze in more swoops. I did it in just under 1:07 and that was enough for first. (I had 1:14 and change at the end of my first star).

2. The wood slide prankster purple coin challenge: Which character is the best to use here? Aside from the nostalgic Mario 64 slide music, the slide mechanics are broken! I can't brake or jump backwards. I always miss a few purple coins down the straight line and near the end there are some stupid tight corners that always get me because of the broken controls!

Change your batteries or something, because the controls are perfect. I never had to slow down or jump backwards, and I got it on my second try. There are 140 purple coins on the track, and you only need 100. There are certain times where you'll see coins both on "top" and on "bottom" of the slide. When it's either/or, go for the ones that show a double row of coins, instead of the usually easier single row. Cleared this one with 103 coins without too much difficulty. Memorization helps, of course.

clav

Mejilan said:
The rolly star bar controls are excellent! I never understood the complaints. Not in SMG1 or this one. They're perfectly responsive. The only thing you need to worry about is moving back to the neutral position when you want to slow down/stop. For the first rolly star ball galaxy, I cleared both the regular and Prankster Comet versions at my first go!

I just tilted down as much as possible. Also, it seems that if you tilt back up after you see the speedy wind trails, then you'll swoop up a bit before slowing down, so you should be able to squeeze in more swoops. I did it in just under 1:07 and that was enough for first. (I had 1:14 and change at the end of my first star).

Change your batteries or something, because the controls are perfect. I never had to slow down or jump backwards, and I got it on my second try. There are 140 purple coins on the track, and you only need 100. There are certain times where you'll see coins both on "top" and on "bottom" of the slide. When it's either/or, go for the ones that show a double row of coins, instead of the usually easier single row. Cleared this one with 103 coins without too much difficulty. Memorization helps, of course.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll just have to try again until I get it.

As for the rolly star, eh. I'm literally holding the wii mote the opposite end, and the ball still slowly responds. Never liked it in the first one.

As for the second tip:

I strongly disagree. I felt like I was playing a Sonic Adventure game that had to go through tunnels with those broken controls. Jumping doesn't let me go over to the other side and I'm little holding left on some areas that Mario and Luigi just slowly goes there to respond. Jumping adjusting doesn't work like Mario 64!

ethic

Bah. Someone help me. My disc is not being read by my Wii. SMG 1 reads fine; and does Twlight Princess. Wasn't there some sort of issue with certain Wiis not being able to read certain discs a couple years ago? Is this that type of disc?

clav

I love that hurry theme. The chord modulation is awesome.

Whole game music score is contender for Video Game OST of the decade.

rhino4evr

didn't get to play much only got the first 4 or 5 stars..but so far im a little neutral on the experience. It might be because I spent mot of the morning playing the more difficulty Galaxy 1 stages, and so far I feel like not too much has changed..its still early of course, but lets just say I havent been wowed yet.

upandaway

(this advice is not from me, so I may be misinterpreting things)
Move as little as possible, try not touching the analog stick besides a tiny tilt every two seconds or so, that's the secret to nailing the big chains. He also said mostly what Mejilan said so I didn't bother putting that here.

BowieZ

Banned
claviertekky said:
I love that hurry theme. The chord modulation is awesome.

Whole game music score is contender for Video Game OST of the decade.
Which modulation specifically? Any? LOL they're all great. Also, totally agreed. OST of the millennium so far, for me, personally.

landoverbapshit said:
Also, when Mario finishes a level, he jumps on a flagpole, and with the pole between his legs, his slides down. Then he ends it all with a terrorist fist jab.

It boggles my mind how the perveted sex-maniacs at Nintendo managed to come up with so many deviant ideas. They must do nothing other than give sake-lubricated shiatzu massages to their ladyboy gieshas, and produce homosexual recruiting tools aimed at America's children.

I weep for America.

Mejilan

claviertekky said:
I strongly disagree. I felt like I was playing a Sonic Adventure game that had to go through tunnels with those broken controls. Jumping doesn't let me go over to the other side and I'm little holding left on some areas that Mario and Luigi just slowly goes there to respond. Jumping adjusting doesn't work like Mario 64!

You must be doing something wrong. I had a much tougher time with the SM64 version, honestly. Are you sure your batteries aren't in bad shape? The few times I accidentally found myself slightly off and about to plummet to my doom, I was able to adjust myself with a jump and/or a spin jump before it was too late. I found it MUCH more forgiving than the N64 version.

Mejilan

ethic said:
Bah. Someone help me. My disc is not being read by my Wii. SMG 1 reads fine; and does Twlight Princess. Wasn't there some sort of issue with certain Wiis not being able to read certain discs a couple years ago? Is this that type of disc?

You're thinking of dual layer DVDs, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. SMG2 actually takes up much, much less space than SMG1 did. Neither of the SMGs are dual layer DVDs, so that shouldn't be the issue. Did you check the disc for heavy smudges or scratches?

ethic

fernoca said:
From what I remember, the disc problem was tied to dual-layer discs (Brawl and Prime Trilogy)....if other discs work, you could try exchanging it for another copy..

Well..is landoverbaptist.net... :lol :lol
fun website

Brawl doesn't seem to work either (I've had the game for years but haven't actually tried it until just now lol). Freakin' heck. Laaaaaaame.

Teknoman

Somnia said:
Haven't had a Wii since after mario galaxy. Just ordered a black wii with mario galaxy 2, twilight princess (already beat it but why not...), new super mario bros, monster hunter tri (and a new classic controller pro), silent hill and RE4 :D

Fun times ahead (if you like fighters, grab Tatsunoko vs Capcom).

Mejilan

60 stars! I thought the Flip City purple star challenge would be much tougher. They're extremely generous with time.

fernoca

ethic said:
Brawl doesn't seem to work either (I've had the game for years but haven't actually tried it until just now lol). Freakin' heck. Laaaaaaame.
Darn..well..
You could get in that Gamestop deal and get a black Wii for $50 by trading yours plus an extra mote and chuck... :p

Rich!

So, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

This game is apparently 1.29gb in size. That's more than half the size of SMG1. That's small enough for the game to fit on a gamecube disc. And yet, from everything I've read, this game is ten times more packed than the original.

What the hell, Nintendo. :lol

ethic

Mejilan said:
You're thinking of dual layer DVDs, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. SMG2 actually takes up much, much less space than SMG1 did. Neither of the SMGs are dual layer DVDs, so that shouldn't be the issue. Did you check the disc for heavy smudges or scratches?

I did. I just picked it up from the store. My sensor bar is broken too (which I also discovered while trying to play SMG2) so I'm unable to actually select things from the Wii menu. I'm assuming the disc isn't being read because there's no SMG2 (or Brawl, which I also just tried to load for the first time today) icon on the Wii menu. Does the lack of an icon mean it's not being read or would there actually be an error message?

Top Bottom