• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Jeels

Mejilan said:
A little later in the game (around 30 Stars for me), you'll unlock Prankster Stars. There seems to be at least 1 Prankster Comet per galaxy. Prankster Comets "tweak" the galaxies and provide additional challenges, like speed runs, purple coin hunts, daredevil challenges (boss fights where you only have 1 block of health), etc. The more Comet Coins you find (1 per galaxy), the more Prankster Comets show up. I believe a Prankster Comet will never show up for a galaxy if you haven't found that galaxy's Comet Coin first.

Alright, thank you. I've managed to find the comet coin for every galaxy, I just wasn't sure what to do with them. Haven't reached the right point in the game. =)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh my god this game is fucking amazing. Wow owowowowowoww. And looks relatively fine at 480p too!

Just beat the first world with all the stars (well, I am sure not all, but ATM yes, and the hidden star in one level) plus I made sure to get all comet coins. This game is amazing.

Synless

It really says a lot about the game when you have one hell of a soundtrack, the best graphics on the system (seriously, unfaltering 60 fps, colors everywhere, next to no loading) and the game is only about 1.38 gigs big. How the fuck did they do it? Other Wii devs should go cry in a corner in shame!!!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Synless said:
It really says a lot about the game when you have one hell of a soundtrack, the best graphics on the system (seriously, unfaltering 60 fps, colors everywhere, next to no loading) and the game is only about 1.38 gigs big. How the fuck did they do it? Other Wii devs should go cry in a corner in shame!!!!

Thats tiny, but its probably because there's not a whole lot of high texture quality required for a Wii game. Plus the art direction in Galaxy allows for a lot of really simplistic textures that dont have a lot of detail but still look really nice. Plus neither Galaxy games have tons of voice work, which can save a whole lot of space. Same goes for FMVs.

EDIT: For example, the 'Movies' folder in my Mass Effect 2 install directory is 2.5GB in size alone, and thats just for the loading FMVs, various FMVs scattered throughout the game, etc. They're not even good quality.

Boney

Banned
Can we please stop it with the 1.5 thing?
Of course the games are gonna be similar, since that's the whole point of the development. It was, "we already have a perfectly good engine working, let's just add more more and more!"

And they've done that. 42 stars in, and the game keeps on presenting new stuff all the time. Except maybe for time trail missions and comet missions.

Sure you won't get the same wow as you did with the first galaxy. But I don't think any direct sequel has in gaming. The point of them is to build upon your solid fundations. And the game clearly has.

Synless

EatChildren said:
Thats tiny, but its probably because there's not a whole lot of high texture quality required for a Wii game. Plus the art direction in Galaxy allows for a lot of really simplistic textures that dont have a lot of detail but still look really nice. Plus neither Galaxy games have tons of voice work, which can save a whole lot of space. Same goes for FMVs.
True, the textures are simple, but the game is still a tech monster!

Boney said:
Can we please stop it with the 1.5 thing?
Of course the games are gonna be similar, since that's the whole point of the development. It was, "we already have a perfectly good engine working, let's just add more more and more!"

And they've done that. 42 stars in, and the game keeps on presenting new stuff all the time. Except maybe for time trail missions and comet missions.

Sure you won't get the same wow as you did with the first galaxy. But I don't think any direct sequel has in gaming. The point of them is to build upon your solid fundations. And the game clearly has.
You should have read my whole post because I wasnt complaining or comparing it to the first game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Synless said:
True, the textures are simple, but the game is still a tech monster!

Yeah I know. Galaxy/Galaxy 2 are simply among the best examples of using the hardware available combined with a strong, cohesive art style, wrapped up in really solid tech, to deliver a really damn good looking game period.

But thats how you cut down on size. All your special shader programming doesn't take up anywhere near as much as deciding to fill your game will FMVs and 9000+ hours of dialogue.

Garcia

Btw, who else is playing this cooperatively?

I'm impressed by the depth of the P2 experience. Been playing it with my sister and we keep switching controllers after we get a Star. Being P2 not only can you help P1 during his playthrough, you can also grab distant coins, star fragments, kill enemies and there's also stuff exclusively desgined for P2 (like the fireflies/golden insects you can grab and shake for some star fragments).

Seriously, while being P2 I lost the count of the times I've been alienated from the actual course of the level just to find myself gathering shit and grabbing/shaking stuff.

Miyamoto & Co: GREAT FUCKING WORK ! :D

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
I thought it would be a nice upgrade, but I understand some people believe the PS2 to be the monolith reborn.

Compared to Wii, the PS2 is like Jesus Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna and also Satan rolled all into one.

Wii is this guy.

This guy happened to actually perform a miracle with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Better than the first confirmed, this game is sooo good.

New greatest game ever.

Just beat world 1 with every star I can get so far and every comet coin. Gotta say I'm LOVING it so far! My only complaint would be that I have 64 lives going into world 2. :lol

I know the difficulty will pick up later but when I have 64 tries at something in Mario and no real penalty for a game over, I know I'm gonna breeze though this game just like Galaxy.

WillyFive

Garcia said:
Btw, who else is playing this cooperatively?

I'm impressed by the depth of the P2 experience. Been playing it with my sister and we keep switching controllers after we get a Star. Being P2 not only can you help P1 during his playthrough, you can also grab distant coins, star fragments, kill enemies and there's also stuff exclusively desgined for P2 (like the fireflies/golden insects you can grab and shake for some star fragments).

Seriously, while being P2 I lost the count of the times I've been alienated from the actual course of the level just to find myself gathering shit and grabbing/shaking stuff.

Miyamoto & Co: GREAT FUCKING WORK ! :D

Yeah, it's just like it was in the first Mario Galaxy.

I unfortunately never liked the co-op. Even though you can do a lot of stuff, it still feels like you just turned on the Wiimote while someone else is playing.

I would have liked co-op like NSMBWii or LEGO Indy 2.

Amir0x said:
Compared to Wii, the PS2 is like Jesus Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna and also Satan rolled all into one.

Wii is this guy.

This guy happened to actually perform a miracle with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Better than the first confirmed, this game is sooo good.

New greatest game ever.

It's all based on experience. At this point, the Wii has surpassed the amount of enjoyment I got from the PS2.

Maybe because the Wii is more new, while the PS2 was more of the same, but I would pick the Wii over the PS2 at this point in time. The PS2 was a fine console however. It's almost like every game that came out that gen was on it.

darkwings

Banned
Amir0x said:

Wii is this guy.

New greatest game ever.

But the PS2 does not have SMG1+2 :p

If Wii is finally getting an awesome zelda, then sure it is getting closer.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Forgive me, as I know this may have been asked a thousand times already, but since the thread is ginormous, I'll ask again: are there any good deals any stores are offering?

WillyFive

Oblivion said:
Forgive me, as I know this may have been asked a thousand times already, but since the thread is ginormous, I'll ask again: are there any good deals any stores are offering?

There are plenty online, but seems barren on real life stores.

Amir0x

Banned
darkwings said:
But the PS2 does not have SMG1+2 :p

If Wii is finally getting an awesome zelda, then sure it is getting closer.

We'll see how awesome it is! Not holding my breath!

Super Mario Galaxy 2, though, wow. I am trying to take it really slow because who knows when we'll get another game like this! I'm gonna draw this experience out over weeks, damn it.

Foov

So good, I just played the game for four hours and finally stopped. I haven't done that I think in years. I'm already feeling the effects of withdrawal.

I'll be able to play this game tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Are there any levels like Good Egg Galaxy in SMG2? GEG was my favorite galaxy from SMG because the music, the level design, and everything else came together more perfectly than in any other place in the game. GEG was SMG to me.

fernoca

BlueSummers said:
Just beat world 1 with every star I can get so far and every comet coin. Gotta say I'm LOVING it so far! My only complaint would be that I have 64 lives going into world 2. :lol

I know the difficulty will pick up later but when I have 64 tries at something in Mario and no real penalty for a game over, I know I'm gonna breeze though this game just like Galaxy.
Don't mind..
You lose all your lives when you quit the game.. ;)
....and start with like 3..plus 5 through Peach's letters..

Bentendo

I just got my 59th star (
the one on the Molty Something Galaxy where you have to use the boulder suit... Oh.My.God
) but I'm taking a short (as in 3 hour) brake to watch Lost. The second Lost ends I'm going to jump back into the game so that I will be able to fulfill my tradition of defeating Bowser (the last battle) within the first day.

My hands actually hurt right now.

I'm glad to say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is having the same effect as the first game. That is, I'll play it for an hour or two, tell myself I need a break and power down the system. Then about 10-15 minutes later I'll start getting the itch and tell myself "just a couple of more stars", and before I know it, another 1-2 hours have passed and the vicious cycle starts anew.

Needless to say, I'm loving the game so far. Lots of surprises and genius level design. Now I'm going to go try and nab some more stars (at 35 now).

BowieZ

Banned
Brandon F said:
First five minutes has too much story. Game isn't resonating.
unresonating story bro

Meanwhile, a few negative opinions on the soundtrack over at that FFshrine site:

Short version: It's crap.

Longer version: Let's start with the good bits; the orchestra is a bit bigger, and better recorded. The orchestral music is just trying too hard to be like SMG1. What was so fresh and exciting the first time around now feels self-aware, laboured, and stale. The end credits illustrate my point; it's as if somebody said to the composer "We want another end credits theme. Make it EXACTLY THE DAMN SAME as the last one because people loved that. Don't deviate from the plan."

And so, he did; structurally, rhythmically, orchestrationally, even harmonically, it's the exact same piece... the familiar SMG melody has been swapped out and replaced with one which manages a very unique feat; it's essentially the same theme, but it's entirely forgettable. We move through the motions; cascading strings and horns introduce theme. Brass chords. Melody on oboe; busy string accompaniment with pizzicato celli and basses. Counter theme on flutes. Brass flourish, then strings repeat melodies. Brass flourish - theme passes to trumpets and horns with militaristic percussion accompaniment. Romantic recap section - melody on oboe and subsequently other woodwinds. Brass flourish - then SMG1 melody on strings and then brass. Traditional brass flourish and close.

Great shame; it was so hyped... and it turned out to be a limp rehash of SMG1. Oh, well.
I have a hard time with SMG2 as well. Because on one side it is finely crafted music and the end credits is a great song....but as you said its exactly the same. So if I had never heard SMG1 this would be such a wonderful listen. It loses alot of its magic though, if you have heard SMG1.
I do agree for the most part. Nowhere near the freshness of the original, and the melodic 'inspiration' leaves a lot to be desired. They're still fun catchy tunes, but more of the same. As you say, it doesn't feel like a worthy continuation (or development) of the style. The formulaic approach seems to have knocked the socks off most fans though - not just here but all over the net. The standard reaction appears to be that it's better! Why?

One point (that probably won't be of concern): in essence, Galaxy2 is to the first game what Lost Levels was to SMB. So at least they had the courtesy to 'disguise' the sameness this time!

Battle Belt
is funky as hell. ADMIT IT!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
good game is good. i'm still not entirely sold on Yoshi's base mechanics, but that's mainly because i think the game's already great without those.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
EatChildren said:

It's not so much that the game ONLY takes up 1.4GBs, it's that SMG1 took up something like 3.6 or 3.7! This game looks and sounds as good, if not better, and at only a fraction of the disc space! Then again, this one also has basically no story (and what it has is all done in-game so far), so that's probably the bulk of the difference there.

SpacLock

About 35 stars in and the game is still feeling nice, fresh and continues to introduce new stuff every other world. Seems like they worked their ass off on this one.

Time to take a break and continue tomorrow night.

Mejilan said:
It's not so much that the game ONLY takes up 1.4GBs, it's that SMG1 took up something like 3.6 or 3.7! This game looks and sounds as good, if not better, and at only a fraction of the disc space! Then again, this one also has basically no story (and what it has is all done in-game so far), so that's probably the bulk of the difference there.

As far as I know, there's no video packed into this. All real time.

fernoca

Oblivion said:
  • Toys R Us: Get $10 Gift card (today only)
  • K-Mart: Get $30 off from select Mario titles [selected games will be priced at $44.99, this week too]. (all week)
  • Gamestop.com: Get $20 gift card (online only)
  • Amazon.com: Get $20 gift card for any videogame purchase.
  • Target: Get $20 off from select Mario titles. (all week)
  • Best Buy: $20 gift card when purchased along with a Wii Remote with Motion Plus. (all week)

Mejilan said:
Also, experience..maybe..
In many cases the GBs are just filled with redundant data ..maybe since they already knew on what they were working on, knew the engine..just used the necessary space. Probably the first game still has the original-not upgraded textures from when the first game was shown ..or something..in there...or they found other ways to do similar effects and visual quality..with less memory.

BowieZ said:
Meanwhile, a few negative opinions on the soundtrack over at that FFshrine site:
29lldow.png

:p

Bentendo

I know this has been answered probably a hundred times, but can someone tell me what exactly the green stars are? Are they replicas of the original or something completely different? Thank you.

FSLink

Banned
Bentendo said:
I know this has been answered probably a hundred times, but can someone tell me what exactly the green stars are? Are they replicas of the original or something completely different? Thank you.
They're scattered around levels in mostly hard to reach places. Kind of like Blue Coins except not as stupidly hidden, most of the time you can see the Green Star, except you have to figure out how to reach it. They appear in the previous levels after you gain 120 stars.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
fernoca said:
  • Toys R Us: Get $10 Gift card (today only)
  • K-Mart: Get $30 off from select Mario titles [selected games will be priced at $44.99, this week too]. (all week)
  • Gamestop.com: Get $20 gift card (online only)
  • Amazon.com: Get $20 gift card for any videogame purchase.
  • Target: Get $20 off from select Mario titles. (all week)
  • Best Buy: $20 gift card when purchased along with a Wii Remote with Motion Plus. (all week)

Thanks!

kaskade

Anyone know how long amazon is having the 20 dollar deal? I doubt they are doing it very long but it would be better for me to get it next weekend.

Top Bottom