• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Rich!

ethic said:
I did. I just picked it up from the store. My sensor bar is broken too (which I also discovered while trying to play SMG2) so I'm unable to actually select things from the Wii menu. I'm assuming the disc isn't being read because there's no SMG2 (or Brawl, which I also just tried to load for the first time today) icon on the Wii menu. Does the lack of an icon mean it's not being read or would there actually be an error message?

Wow, your wii sounds pretty fucked. You're not using it as a football or something by any chance? :lol

If there's a constantly spinning disc logo, or no logo at all, then it's bad.

richisawesome said:
So, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

This game is apparently 1.29gb in size. That's more than half the size of SMG1. That's small enough for the game to fit on a gamecube disc. And yet, from everything I've read, this game is ten times more packed than the original.

What the hell, Nintendo. :lol

I think that the videos took up most of the space in the SMG1 disc.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, maybe I'm overdoing it. I just passed a barrier that required 40 stars to overcome. I have 61!

richisawesome said:
So, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

This game is apparently 1.29gb in size. That's more than half the size of SMG1. That's small enough for the game to fit on a gamecube disc. And yet, from everything I've read, this game is ten times more packed than the original.

What the hell, Nintendo. :lol

Almost no story to speak of so no FMV. What cut-scenes exist are done in-game instead of as cinematics.

Alex

Lives have really become meaningless, they should really just be removed, or maybe stowed away separately, as rare drops for a separate mechanic in comets/challenges.

They really did a good job on the difficulty level though. Most of the main stuff is pretty breezy, some tension but mostly the quick Nintendo norm, but most of the aux stuff has some good kick to it, and that's a pretty good constant with how much of it there is!

Game continues to be as anti-Nintendo as it is Nintendo. Would love to have some of this more modern design philosphy and balance injected into Zelda.

Also, bravo on the image quality, not only is the game all around gorgeous it looks very crisp and clear on my HD set. On that note: Capcom, you lazy twits, sitting on that six year old Monster Hunter engine so you can port things back and forth to PSP, lighting, texturing and art upgrades don't go as far as they should when your damn game runs at 360p with a blur filter over it.

fernoca

ethic said:
I did. I just picked it up from the store. My sensor bar is broken too (which I also discovered while trying to play SMG2) so I'm unable to actually select things from the Wii menu. I'm assuming the disc isn't being read because there's no SMG2 (or Brawl, which I also just tried to load for the first time today) icon on the Wii menu. Does the lack of an icon mean it's not being read or would there actually be an error message?
Hmm..
Try click the Disc Channel..it may ask you to do a firmware update..unless you're on 4.2 already..

Alex said:
Lives have really become meaningless, they should really just be removed, or maybe stowed away separately, as rare drops for a separate mechanic in comets/challenges.

They really did a good job on the difficulty level though. Most of the main stuff is pretty breezy, some tension but mostly the quick Nintendo norm, but most of the aux stuff has some good kick to it, and that's a pretty good constant with how much of it there is!

Game continues to be as anti-Nintendo as it is Nintendo. Would love to have some of this more modern design philosphy and balance injected into Zelda.

Also, bravo on the image quality, not only is the game all around gorgeous it looks very crisp and clear on my HD set. On that note: Capcom, you lazy twits, sitting on that six year old Monster Hunter engine so you can port things back and forth to PSP, lighting, texturing and art upgrades don't go as far as they should when your damn game runs at 360p with a blur filter over it.

sometimes i'm actually glad I played MH3 in 4:3, because it didn't look so blurry or like it was missing lines of resolution

Kard8p3

Mejilan said:
Yeah, maybe I'm overdoing it. I just passed a barrier that required 40 stars to overcome. I have 61!

That's the crazy thing about a Mario game. When there's a new one for some reason it's nearly impossible to stop playing. You just want to keep doing more and more. No other game series does this for me and it has to be because of the overwhelming amount of variety. When nearly every level is something new you just don't want to stop.

fernoca

Alex said:
Keep in mind that lives don't stack..you turn off the game you lose all the lives you had.

mj1108

Picked up the game this morning.... finally got to start it this afternoon.... 10 stars in and I don't want it to ever end.

ethic

fernoca said:
Hmm..
Try click the Disc Channel..it may ask you to do a firmware update..unless you're on 4.2 already..

I don't know what I'm on. I haven't played my Wii in such a long time. The last new game I played was the first Super Mario Galaxy. I can't click on the disc channel because apparently I ran over the Wii sensor bar cable with my vacuum cleaner and now I can't use my Wiimote.

If the icon isn't showing up, could that be the reason? Firmware?

Mejilan

Woo! Worlds 1 and 2 are totally done!
On that note, it's a little odd that all of these galaxies are collected into worlds, IMHO.

Kard8p3 said:
That's the crazy thing about a Mario game. When there's a new one for some reason it's nearly impossible to stop playing. You just want to keep doing more and more. No other game series does this for me and it has to be because of the overwhelming amount of variety. When nearly every level is something new you just don't want to stop.

I had a really good time getting all 242 stars in the first SMG. I did a Mario run when it came out, then a Luigi run last summer. Good times!

Doorman

Haunted said:
Clearly intentional. EAD Tokyo, those magnificent bastards.
I was going to respond as such. :lol

Have about 39 stars now and my hype has definitely risen from my thoughts earlier today. I'm slowly digging my way through World 4, but there are a lot of stars still in the early levels that I haven't gone back for yet. I think I'll try mixing in getting a few stars from already cleared levels, then "reward" myself with a galaxy I haven't visited yet. Getting a taste of the new challenges so far has me really jazzed to see what kind of final stage goals they came up with.

fernoca

ethic said:
I don't know what I'm on. I haven't played my Wii in such a long time. The last new game I played was the first Super Mario Galaxy. I can't click on the disc channel because apparently I ran over the Wii sensor bar cable with my vacuum cleaner and now I can't use my Wiimote.

If the icon isn't showing up, could that be the reason? Firmware?
If you have a Classic Controller, you can move the pointer around with the left analog stick...
As for the sensor bar, well..you could use the candle method (just put 1 candle at the far left and another at the far right of the TV)...though not recommended for long sessions.. :p

Rich!

BowieZ said:
It's apparently exactly 1337 MB. No joke.

It's not.

Having a quick browse around, it seems every torrent that is 1337mb in size is a pre-release fake.

Besides, I'm going by what the USB loader states after the game is ripped so it's gotta be accurate.

Haunted

God, I need to step out of here. Here's hoping renchi dispatches my order soon, they were pretty damn fast with Monster Hunter Tri.

*crosses fingers*

Mejilan

Yeah, still not a fan of the Spring Mushroom power up.
Didn't like it in the first game, and I don't like it here.
Moving on, I think I'm close to getting the 4th Grand Star!

Nose Master

Holy god, that religious forum. Blows my fucking mind. That has to be some sort of 4chan troll site. No one is that crazy.

Not meaning to derail, though.

Anyways: I got a ghost, and he just runs into a crystal and then takes a nap? :lol

ethic

fernoca said:
If you have a Classic Controller, you can move the pointer around with the left analog stick...
As for the sensor bar, well..you could use the candle method (just put 1 candle at the far left and another at the far right of the TV)...though not recommended for long sessions.. :p

lol no classic controller but I did have candles! My Wii is now updating from the SMG2 disc! Woot. I don't see how I can play SMG2 with candles as the cursor is pretty jiggity. But still. Awesome. Thanks! Need to get me a sensor bar tomorrow.

//edit Woot! There's the SMG2 icoN!

ZeroRay

Nose Master said:
Holy god, that religious forum. Blows my fucking mind. That has to be some sort of 4chan troll site. No one is that crazy.

Yup landoverbaptist is a parody site trolling people since before '02 when I first went there.

But yeah, SMG2 is amazing. I can't wait to see worlds 4-6.

Pyrokai

Just got my 31st star. Absolutely loving the game. Bowser's level theme from SM64 fully orchestrated is just.....orgasmic.....

Tiktaalik

I think it's funny that there are birds flying around the Mario space ship. What are these space birds? What happens if they fly too far away from the Mario ship? Do they get sucked out into space and die in the vacuum? :lol

Lamel

Banned
I had to stop playing because of a test tomorrow...Gotta study. But so far, I am being blown away. Awesome game. Whoever hasn't bought it yet please do! Either that or move to N.A. :D

pakkit

Banned
This reminds me of Portal (and a few areas of SMG1) in that I have to relearn classic gaming behaviors. It's mind bending without being unfair or frustrating.

THAT SAID WHO THE FUCK DECIDED TO PUT THAT FUCKING TRASHBOT BACK INTO THIS GAME GODDAM

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Tiktaalik said:
I think it's funny that there are birds flying around the Mario space ship. What are these space birds? What happens if they fly too far away from the Mario ship? Do they get sucked out into space and die in the vacuum? :lol
It doesn't make sense, just like Bowser being gigantic, able to fly on his own power, and move around planetoids punching them around with his fist, and just like those bowser quirks, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE LOGIC BEHIND IT, BECAUSE SPACE BIRDS AND GIANT BOWSERS ARE AWESOME, AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Relix said:
As an off topic post, this is not exactly related to Galaxy 2 but please someone tell me there are not this crazy people:

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=31734
Wait.. what? Seriously? Is that serious? Are people that stupid? It's a fucking video game! There's nothing homosexual about it! Now, Zelda. Tingle. But not Mario and Yoshi! Fuck. I hate religious people.

And OMG, look at all the people who come in and argue. They get banned or marked under investigation and become "enemies of God". W. T. F.

Also, three out of four of the links in one posters signature:
5 Reasons why WOMEN should NEVER be on the Internet!
7 Reasons why GOD HATES Australia!
8 Reasons why God hates New Zealand!​
Seriously?

Okay. I gotta get away from that thread. Back to Galaxy. God damn.

gray_fox224

Jasoco said:
Wait.. what? Seriously? Is that serious? Are people that stupid? It's a fucking video game! There's nothing homosexual about it! Now, Zelda. Tingle. But not Mario and Yoshi! Fuck. I hate religious people.

And OMG, look at all the people who come in and argue. They get banned or marked under investigation and become "enemies of God". W. T. F.

Also, three out of four of the links in one posters signature:
5 Reasons why WOMEN should NEVER be on the Internet!
7 Reasons why GOD HATES Australia!
8 Reasons why God hates New Zealand!​
Seriously?

Okay. I gotta get away from that thread. Back to Galaxy. God damn.

Exactly.

I am going to go fap now to Raven Riley to spite them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ZeroRay said:
Yup landoverbaptist is a parody site trolling people since before '02 when I first went there.

But yeah, SMG2 is amazing. I can't wait to see worlds 4-6.

Yeah read about it. I was pretty shocked when I read that Mario thing, so I kept reading and they seemed so stubborn in their beliefs. Wikipedia helped though. That satire is too much for me I think :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Okay. How the fuck do I beat Sorbetti?
The red nosed snowman head
I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! There's no powerup and I can't hit him! WHAT? I am sad. It's something obvious. I know it is. WHAT IS IT?

Edit: Had to resort to a Wiki to figure it out.

robot

Finished the first world...? galaxy? universe?

Um...I fought a boss and got a grand star and opened up a new area. Game is really fun, getting a Mario 3 "holy crap look at all this cool shit" kinda vibe from it. They really do throw something new at you every 10 minutes. I hope it keeps at that pace for awhile.

Zing

Banned
Like any smart person, I snagged the game this morning.

Played it for several hours with my four-year old daughter watching. About half-way through world 1, I realize that she is actually mature enough to use the second controller, unlike when SMG1 was released. So, first she is just collecting star bits. After a level or two, we realize that she can grab coins. Now she is a coin-grabbing, enemy spinning, crystal breaking, star bit gatherer.

I would still be playing (I am up to world 2), but I feel bad continuing without her. I did go back and get a star or two which I missed the first time around.

Mejilan

pakkit said:
THAT SAID WHO THE FUCK DECIDED TO PUT THAT FUCKING TRASHBOT BACK INTO THIS GAME GODDAM

I've only bumped into two of their challenges so far, but both were insanely easy this time around. So far!

Top Bottom