• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

BowieZ said:
Woah, just be careful for a second... be prepared that it's a subtle quote of the theme planted for those who wish to hear it.

Did you read my follow-up post? :p ...

I thought it was the whole theme, but they got at least my favourite part ot the SMW castle theme.
And in slo mo epic! :D

Jasoco

Banned
Well, as the tree said to the lumberjack, I'm stumped. Once again. I can't figure out how to "climb the cloudy tower". There's a cloud flower at the top of the tower. But none anywhere near the bottom. So I can't climb those fucking clouds. And the goddamned Pianta's are not helping at all. And three of the bubble machines are off and the one that is on is facing the wrong way. WHAT DO I DO??

Edit: Ugh. God dammit. The one Pianta I didn't talk to told me what to do.

bridegur said:
Can anyone explain the purpose of the ship's engine room? Can you use the powerups there, or are they just for display?

As far as I can tell, they're just for display. Go a little further in the game and the powerups will start popping up outside of the engine room. I can mess around with the cloud suit now. :D

bridegur said:
Can anyone explain the purpose of the ship's engine room? Can you use the powerups there, or are they just for display?

Was wondering the same thing, I tried for like two minutes to break the stuff out, but no luck. Maybe it's like a trophy room?

Nose Master

Got the 70 star ending.
SPECIAL WORLD!
Time to quit neglecting Alan Wake, though... I think 8 hours of Galaxy 2 today is enough*. :lol

It's not enough.

Kard8p3 said:
I think this quote from their review sums it up perfectly.

Yeah, it's really impressive how little they abuse each stage's gimmick. Once they're done with an idea, you move on to the next thing. It's really exciting each time a new stage opens up.

Kard8p3

civilstrife said:
Can we talk about how good the original Mario Galaxy's Observatory music was?

And then let's talk about how the Starship Mario theme COMPLETELY SURPASSES IT.

This is the best music in gaming, folks.

I agree completely. There's nothing like taking a two hour walk with nothing but the Mario Galaxy 2 OST playing through the MP3 player.

Dear Whittles: get your Avatar out of my Mario game. We guard tree. We love nature. We primitive and noble people. I mean, come on!

54 stars in, and on the strength of those alone this is better than Galaxy 1 hands down.

Am I high or does the output of the ship's chimney slowly grow as you get more stars? And has anyone noticed you can go in the chimney like a pipe? :D

fernoca

goldenenergy said:
Dear Whittles: get your Avatar out of my Mario game. We guard tree. We love nature. We primitive and noble people. I mean, come on!
They are more similar to the Korok from Wind Waker....at least to me.

loosus

Banned
My girlfriend bought it, and we got the first 23 stars or so. At any rate, we are in the second world.

Pros:
--There are some really fun levels. There was one where, everytime we spun Mario, these red and blue panels would switch places, so you had to carefully navigate your way through it. I think it was called "Think Before You Spin" or something similar.

--The graphics are pretty good for a Wii game.

--There is a fucking map. Holy fuck, Nintendo. Why did you not put this in 3D Mario games earlier?

--Cloud Mario is surprisingly put to good use. Once you have it, you can do some things with it that make you think you're doing things or going places that the even developer didn't think you could do.

--Although I'm not a big fan of it overall, the digging thing can lead to some pretty decent puzzles.

--The way you eat things with Yoshi is much more intuitive than I expected.

Cons:
--So much for getting rid of the story. Even though they reduced the cutscenes by probably 60%, it seems to have been replaced by talking. There are times when they put talking in when none was necessary. Then, there are times when one bubble of text would've been enough; instead, they put in four text bubbles. And it seems like there's "news" every time I get a damn star. It is annoying.

--Okay, I liked much of the music in the first Galaxy, but man, the music I've heard in this game thus far is pretty fucking forgettable. It sounds very professional and usually well-placed, but it doesn't sound melodic or catchy. The first Galaxy had both: well-placed and catchy. Based on what I've heard so far, I wouldn't get the OST for this game.

--Like in the first Galaxy, I still don't think the controls are as tight as Super Mario 64 or even really Super Mario Sunshine. They're not downright shitty, but Mario could feel a little more natural. After all, Nintendo has done it before.

--The Mario starship thing is terrible. It's there to appease the few tards still left around who love hub worlds, but the shit has got to go. Is it as criminal as the hub world in Galaxy? No. But it's still bothersome and not worth having. Not sure why Nintendo still insisted on having it.

--When you feed a Luma on the world map, why the fuck can't you just give him star bits right then and there? Why the hell do you have to go back to the big Mario head to do that, just to go back to the world map directly thereafter? It's so fucking wasteful.

--Not a big fan of, as in Galaxy, having worlds that are basically not a Mario game. In the first Galaxy, these included the manta-ray worlds and the rolling-ball worlds. In this one, the only one I've seen so far is the flying-bird one. It really ruins the pace of the game when it's not really part of the main game. It just doesn't gel.

--The game does feel more like an add-on to the first Galaxy than a full-fledged sequel.

Overall, I believe the game is going to shape up better than the first Galaxy. Nonetheless, it still has quite a few things that need to be fixed. Oddly enough, a lot of what Nintendo needs to do with the game has already been done with New Super Mario Bros. They can learn from their own games.

I fucking love this game! :D :D :D GAME OF THE FOREVER!

25 stars so far, finished World 1 & 2 so far (that is all of the stars/hidden stars that have appeared so far)

&#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829;

Jasoco

Banned
loosus said:
Cons:
--So much for getting rid of the story. Even though they reduced the cutscenes by probably 60%, it seems to have been replaced by talking. There are times when they put talking in when none was necessary. Then, there are times when one bubble of text would've been enough; instead, they put in four text bubbles. And it seems like there's "news" every time I get a damn star. It is annoying.
I like story, but I hate when I get so many dialogs. I agree with the news after a star. They could have put all that stuff on one page.
--Okay, I liked much of the music in the first Galaxy, but man, the music I've heard in this game thus far is pretty fucking forgettable. It sounds very professional and usually well-placed, but it doesn't sound melodic or catchy. The first Galaxy had both: well-placed and catchy. Based on what I've heard so far, I wouldn't get the OST for this game.
I would. It is awesome. Who cares about catchy? The music is so amazing. And a lot of it IS catchy once you hear it enough. It'll get stuck in your head.
--The Mario starship thing is terrible. It's there to appease the few tards still left around who love hub worlds, but the shit has got to go. Is it as criminal as the hub world in Galaxy? No. But it's still bothersome and not worth having. Not sure why Nintendo still insisted on having it.
Wrong. The Faceship is awesome. It would be totally boring if all you had was the world map.
--The game does feel more like an add-on to the first Galaxy than a full-fledged sequel.
Wrong. So wrong.

loosus

Banned
You think the game would be "totally boring" without the faceship? :lol Welcome to pre-1996.

EDIT: And hell, modern days if you look at the modern 2D Mario games.

Garcia

loosus said:
Premature review

You dare to review a game just after reaching the 2nd world?!

Come back again after you beat it at least once and then you'll realiza how wrong you were in several aspects. ;)

loosus

Banned
Garcia said:
You dare to review a game just after reaching the 2nd world?!

Come back again after you beat it at least once and then you'll realiza how wrong you were in several aspects. ;)
I forgot to disclaim that I don't work for a videogame magazine or Web site and don't really give a shit. It's not a fucking "review."

BowieZ

Banned
Yeah, soundtrack is hella catchy. I'm humming the haunting refrains of Cosmic Cove Galaxy then whistling the jaunty jig of the Starship Mario, then uttering the urgent jitterings of Fleet Glide Galaxy. And Yoshi Star Galaxy is catchiness incarnate. etc etc etc

loosus said:
I forgot to disclaim that I don't work for a videogame magazine or Web site and don't really give a shit. It's not a fucking "review."
Your post indicates you give something of a shit.

Kard8p3

Alright so I'm really glad they decided to put
one of the fluddless sunshine levels in this game and I love that level to death but I would have loved it even more if they had put the shell secret from Noki bay in the game instead. I remember that level being fairly hard and I would've loved to tackle it in galaxy 2. However I still really happy with the one selected.

loosus

Banned
BowieZ said:
Your post indicates you give something of a shit.
Just saying that I'm not looking for some kinda "journalistic integrity" or whatever. I just put the pros and cons as I see them right now. I'm not waiting until the end of the game just because reviewers do.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The guy is just giving his opinions for as far as he's gotten. Give him a break.

Great game so far~ I like the world system much more vs mario galaxy.. My Son and I just spent 2.5 hours playing it going level for level :p Good times..

We're on world 2 there now with 11 Stars~

Cygnus X-1

Coolio McAwesome said:
Here is a collection of the reviews we've seen thus far:

IGN: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new

GameSpot: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even more varied, challenging, and fun than its superb predecessor, making it the new standard for platformers.

Edge: 10/10
Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

Games Radar: 10/10
Like we said earlier, it always either fixes the limited number of flaws the first game had, or just takes interesting new approaches to much of what worked, while still being a game that stands on its own. You may notice that until now we’ve had few complaints, and that’s simply because there are so few things to complain about.

DigitalChumps: 10/10
Whether or not you are a Mario fan, you owe it to yourself to experience what this game is; it’s a result of creative forces which are rarely evident in this density.

Nintendo Life: 10/10
Truth be told, it's nearly impossible to find even one small thing to gripe about, and believe us, we tried. Every once in a while a video game comes along that's just so spectacular that it ends up defining the very system it's released on and raises the bar by which all other games in the series and genre will be judged. It's safe to say that game has now arrived on the Wii console. Consider the bar officially raised.

Examiner: 10/10
Magical and pure ecstasy is the feeling you’ll experience throughout the entire game. In a world where graphics are king, it’s nice to see a game that emphasizes on addicting gameplay once again. If you want to feel like a child again and experience pure unadulterated bliss, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will deliver. Hands down the best release of 2010, so far.

Video Games Daily: 10/10
Somebody once said that Hamlet is a play made up entirely of famous quotes. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is an entire game’s worth of favourite bits. Go find one to call your own.

Destructoid: 10/10
If you're looking for the negative section in this review, you're not going to find it; I have nothing bad to say. Going in, I expected to call Nintendo out for treading water, revisiting Super Mario Galaxy in this sequel. They didn't, though. Instead, they poured in the same creativity and imagination that made me fall in love with games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. To me it feels like they finally felt the freedom and comfort in 3D platforming to get back to that Nintendo magic that we all remember.

k0mbo: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy was a triumph, but the sequel manages to take things to a new level of excellence by adding new material as well as fixing elements that, in hindsight, did not appear to be broken.

Giant Bomb: 5/5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 sees both Nintendo and Mario himself in top form, delivering an adventure that's as consistently exciting and inventive as ever.

The Escapist: 5/5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

GameXplain: 5/5
Everything in Super Mario Galaxy 2 feels completely natural and an extension of what Mario has done before. It expertly combines brilliant level design, inventive gameplay mechanics, tight controls, and beautiful visuals and sound into what can only be described as a masterpiece.

Nintendo Okie: 5/5
What could have been a simple rehash of Super Mario Galaxy has easily taken on a life of its own. It feels brand new, while being very familiar to anyone who’s played a Mario Game. Don’t wait any longer than you have to to own this title. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

G4tv: 5/5
The essence of Super Mario games has always been getting from Point A to Point B, being proud that you made it to the end, but then being disappointed because the middle part was so entertaining. This is a magnificent feeling that occurs so often in Super Mario Galaxy 2, I really do want to visit my 10-year old self and give him a sneak peek at what the future holds. (And pray that his/my head doesn't explode).

PixilBit: 5/5
The game mines the formula set forth by its predecessor for nearly all it's worth, and offers up an unforgettable experience that undoubtedly surpasses its source material in every way.

Go Nintendo: 9.9/10
Almost every single galaxy in Galaxy 2 feels like the best theme park ride you've ever been on. The original game had outstanding environments, but there were a few that were forgettable. With the sequel, the level design really does stand out. These are locations I'm going to remember, as every corner offered something entertaining

Cheat Code Central: 4.9/5
If this doesn't sound like a fun and complete game to you, you are crazy.

Official Nintendo Magazine: 97/100

GameTrailers: 9.7/10
If you play video games for what makes them different from other entertainment mediums, put a few days aside on your calendar and get ready for a top-shelf gameplay experience.

1Up: A
If you loved the first Mario Galaxy, but you're wary that this follow-up is a mere shade of its predecessor, than rest assured that this fan-service laden sequel feels just as new as the first Mario Galaxy.

NintendoWorldReport: 9.5/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 takes Super Mario Galaxy and makes a few tweaks to make it more playable. As such, Galaxy 2 instantly catapults itself into the discussion for the title of Best Game Available on Wii. If you liked Super Mario Galaxy even a bit, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a must-have title for your Wii game collection.

Worth Playing: 9.5/10
While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.

Computer and Video Games: 9.3/10
Galaxy 2 is all about the platforming. And just like the original, the sheer amount of imagination present in every galaxy, mini-game and boss fight in Galazy 2 is staggering.

Famitsu Magaine: 37/40

GameInformer: 9.25/10
Most games today are willing to hang their hat on a small handful of new gameplay or level-design ideas. Super Mario Galaxy 2 throws something new at you nearly every single level – and with over 240 stars to collect, that’s no small feat.

Wired: 9/10
A new surprising gameplay twist every few minutes, great nostalgic moments, deep challenges if you want them.

GameDaily: 9/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2, especially for those who played the original, offers both a familiar and original experience that all gamers will enjoy. Buy it without hesitation.

GamePro: 4.5/5
An exhilarating reinvention of platformers that constantly challenges its own identity with success, while the increased difficulty and high proficiency requirement may turn new fans off

N-Sider: (No Score Given)
In Short: Mario turned up to 11.

Kotaku: (No Score Given)
The world did not need another Super Mario game already. But if that is what freed the designers of Super Mario Galaxy 2 to run wilder with their imagination, then let's have more unnecessary Mario games. This new one is tougher, more fantastic, more devious, and more varied.

Crave Online: (No Score Given)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a perfectly crafted nod to every type of Mario fan there is. Briliant gameplay, fantastic platforming, exploration rewards, wonderful music, Yoshi and nostalgiac tip-offs make this game exactly what fans have been clamoring for. If you've ever been a fan of Nintendo, this one's for you.

ArsTechnica: (No Score Given)
No matter what level you're playing at, you can sit down for 20 minutes and have a good time, or you can lose yourself for hours. The Mario haters will continue to bleat about the same ideas being rehashed once again, but the truth is that Nintendo is constantly trying to beat its own best, and it delivers exactly what gamers want—and in huge doses. This is, thus far, the peak of what platforming can offer.

Joystiq: (No Score Given)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game ever. There, I said it.

Crap. Even Gamespot. Screw NOE that makes us wait till the 11 June.

But thinking that Galaxy 2 is even better then Galaxy 1 is almost a miracle. Definitely EAD Tokyo is now the best internal studio of Nintendo.

strem

Putting in a new Mario game just makes you feel happy inside. When I put the game in yesterday I couldn't stop smiling

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo has trimmed and slimmed one of it's greatest games ever into something that is leagues above anything else released. Right from the start you know you are playing something truly special. The opening... the best I have ever seen in a video game. Slowly switching from side-scrolling to 3-D roaming scene by scene is just a stroke of genius. It helps newcomers adjust into 3-D space while giving veterans a shot of pure nostalgia bliss. And gone is the vast, empty, and troublesome hub world. Now it is replaced with the fricken awesome faceship that is easy to navigate and serves as a playground for people to get use to the controls of Mario.

But even though Nintendo has simplified the formula with care for the newcomers, it has picked up where it left off in SMG as for as level design is concerned. The first 47 stars (what I have collected so far) are more awesome, varied, challenging, and fun then any 47 stars in a Mario game before, period. And right when you think your finally going to a Galaxy not to your liken, Nintendo delivers once again. Ever single galaxy and every single star has been different and spectacular. Even
Chainchomp Galaxy
, a galaxy I was trying to avoid, turned out to be a smile-inducing experience. In fact, the first star of that Galaxy is probably my favorite so far. A puzzle obstacle course using pure platforming goodness awaits you there, and it is awesome. And wait to you play it with the cosmic ghosts, it's just plain out evil.

Just so much care has gone into this game.... I almost feel privileged to be playing it. Like OMG moments in
Boo Moon
, LOL moments at banker toad, or just the amazing little touches like the leaf boat that make you :). There is always something amazing around the corner, and I can't wait to turn the 193 I have left to turn.

We literally could be playing the closest gaming comes to perfection for along while with Galaxy 2. So try to cherish this very special moment, because you only get to play SMG2 for the first time once.

AniHawk

loosus said:
Thanks for the warning.

CassSept

Order status: Backordered.
FFFFFFFUUUU-
I'm away from home on 5-13 June so there is no chance it would arrive in time, unless I'd pay $30 for shipping.
Which means I have to wait for european release. FU NOE

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AniHawk said:
Thanks for the warning.

While there is more text then expected, most of it is for a reason and/or pretty funny. It is not nearly as bad as it was with SMG. Only one set text bubbles have gotten on my nerves in SMG 2. Whenever you play with Luigi and get a star, as you arrive back at the faceship.... he tells you the same two page message about how you should use him more often..... Every time.

Gets annoying.

FSLink

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
While there is more text then expected, most of it is for a reason and/or pretty funny. It is not nearly as bad as it was with SMG. Only one set text bubbles have gotten on my nerves in SMG 2. Whenever you play with Luigi and get a star, as you arrive back at the faceship.... he tells you the same two page message about how you should use him more often..... Every time.

Gets annoying.

He just really wants to be used. :(
Though
when you beat the game at 70 stars, that message is gone since you can swap between Mario and Luigi whenever you want on the Faceship

Grampasso

First of all, /hate NOE ç_ç
Second, meta score raised to 98 :O
And with that I'm bailing out from this thread. See you in 3 weeks ç_ç
I'm actually tempted to grab the US ISO >.< must... resist... ugh

Top Bottom