• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EmCeeGramr said:
so today a great game came out, and a shitty television soap opera for infants finally ended

a good day for the human race
I agree with you on the great game part, but what is this shitty soap opera?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Linkzg said:
Is there any reason to choose Luigi over Mario? I mean, is it required to get stars ever?
When you beat a level with Luigi a "Ghost Luigi" is unlocked for that area. It's some sort of developer speed run, the ghost will run through the stage the next time you enter.

Hunahan

Banned
Shazam. Damn, when Nintendo is on, there just isn't anything like 'em.

Game's so fun. Cloud Mario is genius, first boss is hilarious, and that jigsaw level was amazing.

Only thing that stands out a little so far is that the second and third stars seem to rely on the same environments far more heavily than the first game. Alot of them seem to be hungry lumas, silver stars, galaxy 1 bosses thrown on a planet, etc instead of the heavily divergent branching-path design of the first.

It's a small complaint, but it's difficult to not notice a little padding in a game that is so rock solid underneath. Almost every time a developer does something like this, I end up feeling the game would be stronger if it was shorter and tighter, but whatevs.

Even when it's cheaping-out, it's still more fun than most of the other shit I play these days, I suppose...

This game is alot more dizzying to me....which I am a fan of ;-)

Also been playing 2 player co-op and having a blast with it.

I can understand the want to have full co-op Mario and Luigi but the way it's done here having the second player support and be able to kill monsters, carry coins and all that is much more engaging than Galaxy 1 was.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Haven't been able to post on GAF today. Galaxy 2 came out.

So, might be the best Mario ever made. We won't know for a few years, but it's scary how freaking good this game is.

Gotta get back to playing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OMG. Just got 120/140 of the Starshine Beach Galaxy's Purple Coin Beach Dash challenge. On my second try! Wow. I don't think I'll ever be able to do THAT again. :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dacvak said:
Haven't been able to post on GAF today. Galaxy 2 came out.

So, might be the best Mario ever made. We won't know for a few years, but it's scary how freaking good this game is.

Gotta get back to playing.

As far as I am concerned, it's the best.

fernoca

ethic said:
lol no classic controller but I did have candles! My Wii is now updating from the SMG2 disc! Woot. I don't see how I can play SMG2 with candles as the cursor is pretty jiggity. But still. Awesome. Thanks! Need to get me a sensor bar tomorrow.

//edit Woot! There's the SMG2 icoN!
So it seems it was the firmware...
Glad to see everything worked..
Gamestop has some Mad Katz wireless sensor bars for $10....though require 4 AAA batteries..it also includes a cable to turn it into a wired one..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jasoco said:
So what do the crowns mean? The manual doesn't mention them.

Someone mentioned it on the last page or so. It means you've found all the stars and the comet coin for that galaxy.

Drakken

darkwings said:
Make no mistake, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a wonderful game. It is packed with entertainment and it is one of the finest 3D platformers ever. However, it really is SMG 1.5. Yeah, most stuff from SMG1 is reused, which I can completely understand since it is an awesome game. Nintendo's comments made you believe that it has a lot of new stuff in it, which is highly debatable. The graphics isn't really better, Yoshi is sparsely used just like in NSMB, the Music is great, but a lot of tunes reused and Mario got the same moves. The new powerups are cool though, I gotta admit that. As far as difficulty, I am not finding this game harder (atleast not yet) I am at world 3 and breezing through it. I hope it gets tougher.

Even though I dont feel it is SMG 2.0, the game is so fun that it doesn't really matter.

I played through the first four worlds today, nabbing 40 stars, and I have to say I agree with you. The hype was so ridiculously high that I was expecting some mind-blowing new ideas and game mechanics or something, when in reality it simply feels like a continuation of SMG. Not that that's a bad thing at all. Still very creative game design.

I also have to say the music hasn't impressed me. After seeing everyone here orgasming over the Youtube links for the past couple days I was expecting some really godly songs. Unlike in the first game though, none of the songs so far (through the end of world 4) have really grabbed me. I'll have to see if that changes with more songs and repeated listens.

Anyone else enjoying the comet challenges more than the regular stars?

Lamel

Banned
Anyone notice how beautiful Cosmic Cove looks when you stare at the cosmos in the background along with the sparkling water?

Mejilan

Wow, my Wii's message board would have me believe that I put 10:30 hours into this game today! I just got Power Star #70, and am ready to call it a night. Shame I have to go to work tomorrow morning, but at least it should be a short-ish week!

Fuu said:
When you beat a level with Luigi a "Ghost Luigi" is unlocked for that area. It's some sort of developer speed run, the ghost will run through the stage the next time you enter.

Thanks. But does that get me a star or anything like that? It's all about the stars.

And I've been playing this for maybe 7 hours and it feels like about 10...seconds. This game > light speed. A time machine.

Mejilan

Beating a stage with Luigi nets you the same star as beating it with Mario.
The only differences involve Luigi's slipperier controls, and unlocking the aforementioned developer ghosts.

BowieZ

Banned
Drakken said:
I also have to say the music hasn't impressed me. After seeing everyone here orgasming over the Youtube links for the past couple days I was expecting some really godly songs. Unlike in the first game though, none of the songs so far (through the end of world 4) have really grabbed me.
Most people were orgasming over the back end of the game's soundtrack, which, I assure you, is unbelievable.
22 sensationally thrilling pieces of music. But of course, each to his own.

this guy

I got this game today. I absolutely loved the first Galaxy, and though I was actually gonna hold off on getting this game right away, I ended up nabbing it anyway. I'm 22 stars in at the end of World 2. The game is a dream so far. It's everything I would have wanted out of a sequel.

World 2 map music and Cosmic Cove music are :D

WillyFive

I really am liking the very fast pace of Mario and Yoshi's controls in this game.

It's like I am racing across levels with incredible agility. It's everything Sonic wants and never will be.

WillyFive

richisawesome said:
So, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

This game is apparently 1.29gb in size. That's more than half the size of SMG1. That's small enough for the game to fit on a gamecube disc. And yet, from everything I've read, this game is ten times more packed than the original.

What the hell, Nintendo. :lol

Game length and game sizes have nothing to do with each other.

If you hear a developer say they need bigger space to make long enough games, don't believe them.

The bulk of the space spent on games today are things like videos, voice acting, and such.

Willy105 said:
Game length and game sizes have nothing to do with each other.

If you hear a developer say they need bigger space to make long enough games, don't believe them.

The bulk of the space spent on games today are things like videos, voice acting, and such.

They do need more space to make games longer... Because they make half the game FMV cutscenes....
:p

bridegur

If you own a Wii and don't own or plan on owning SMG2, dim the lights, turn the volume on your TV to 100, boot up your copy of Carnival Games, and hang yourself.

Lamel

Banned
Willy105 said:
I really am liking the very fast pace of Mario and Yoshi's controls in this game.

It's like I am racing across levels with incredible agility. It's everything Sonic wants and never will be.

Yeah I like Yoshi quite a bit. Whenever I see his egg in the level I get excited :D

And ouch at the sonic comment...but yeah it's probably true. :lol

RobbieNick

EmCeeGramr said:
so today a great game came out, and a shitty television soap opera for infants finally ended

a good day for the human race

On the first part, you're right. On the second part, Fuck You. LOST is one of the best series ever.

pakkit

Banned
bridegur said:
If you own a Wii and don't own or plan on owning SMG2, dim the lights, turn the volume on your TV to 100, boot up your copy of Carnival Games, and hang yourself.
:lol

Should be on the box.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, let's look at it this way.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a "2" in the same sense Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan was a "2". It's the same engine, but upgraded to be so much harder with new stuff. Only main difference is that the worlds look completely new instead of the limited tile set the original 2 games had. Did you expect a Super Mario Bros 2 USA?

Lamel

Banned
bridegur said:

:lol Nice.

Spruchy

61 stars today with my Mario buddy, been doing them in order so got some nasty comet ones. Cant play tomorrow due to an Atlantic city trip but id imagine to have playthrough 1 all wrapped on Tuesday.

RobbieNick said:
On the first part, you're right. On the second part, Fuck You. LOST is one of the best series ever.
2qdo1dt.jpg

L00P

This game is out NOW? I thought it was gonna come out tomorrow:lol

Gah, the stores are probably closed. I guess I'm gonna have to wait it out till tomorrow evening. I hate Mondays.

hoqhuuep

Jasoco said:
Well, let's look at it this way.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a "2" in the same sense Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan was a "2". It's the same engine, but upgraded to be so much harder with new stuff. Only main difference is that the worlds look completely new instead of the limited tile set the original 2 games had. Did you expect a Super Mario Bros 2 USA?

Or you could add onto the old analogy

SMB1 = SM64
SMB2 = Sunshine
SMB3 = SMG
SMW = SMG2

mr.beers

Fuck you
Flipswitch Purple Coins!!!!!
I have this instinct of wanting to shake the Wiimote all of the time and this will fix this crutch but it's so frustrating.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been listening to the
Melty Monster Galaxy theme
for about three hours straight now.....it never gets old......
Like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean or something

The_Technomancer said:
I've been listening to the
Melty Monster Galaxy theme
for about three hours straight now.....it never gets old......
Like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean or something

Seriously it's absolutely gobsmackingly unbelievable. It's also my favorite galaxy so far.
I Cannot believe that music is from a MARIO game.

Man, I PRAY that Zelda's music is that good.

Top Bottom