• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

taoofjord

ForzaItalia said:
I'm totally surprised people care or know such details. I was tapping the A button so I could actually get to the real game.

Is there any way to totally bypass the intro and get to the actual game?

To clarify, it's not that I want an engaging story (I want as little story in a mario platformer as I can get, and fortunately that's how it usually is) it's that I want what's in there to be a bit creative (especially since the game is so god damn perfect otherwise.

Threi

notag
All it took was me Z-backflipping once and I fell in love with SMG again.

Storyboard presentation is ace, love the transitions between stills and gameplay.

rhino4evr

ruffles said:

Aww Shit.

Is there an easy way to finish him? I hope I can actually get 120 stars in this game. :lol

I made it through Galaxy 1 without too much trouble..but this may be a different story!

I wonder if this game is difficult, or if people are just overhyping everything about Galaxy 2, much like they did with NSMBWii. Didn't NeoGAF also claim that Galaxy and Twilight Princess were difficult when those games first came out?

I'm not buying into the hype at all. Galaxy 2 is going to be a great game, but that's all I'm expecting.

It can certainly be tough, and that's coming from a seasoned Mario vet. Not, like, "lose all my lives" tough, but you'll definitely lose three or four lives trying to beat certain parts of levels, especially the prankster comets.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
taoofjord said:
4) I don't like how the game opens up, story-wise. I don't expect a good story in mario games, just a simple one that kinda makes sense and doesn't offend. But this one just felt lazy/thrown together. And what's with the Luma's not knowing who mario is? And the luma's and toads not knowing who bowser is (calling him "monster")? It feels like it takes place in a parallel world (is it supposed to?).
The universe was destroyed and reborn at the end of Galaxy 1 (the black hole, the lumas' sacrifice, "welcome new galaxy!" etc), so it's the same festival going on again at the start of this one (it happens once each 100 years) with no one remembering what happened in the first game because of the reset.

rhino4evr

KeeSomething said:
I wonder if this game is difficult, or if people are just overhyping everything about Galaxy 2, much like they did with NSMBWii. Didn't NeoGAF also claim that Galaxy and Twilight Princess were difficult when those games first came out?

I'm not buying into the hype at all. Galaxy 2 is going to be a great game, but that's all I'm expecting.

well its not Nija Gaiden, but I wouldn't consider it "easy". You are given tons of 1ups...so loosing all your lives probably wont happen, but I've died a few times already and Im just on World 1.

Zing

Banned
loosus said:
--Okay, I liked much of the music in the first Galaxy, but man, the music I've heard in this game thus far is pretty fucking forgettable. It sounds very professional and usually well-placed, but it doesn't sound melodic or catchy. The first Galaxy had both: well-placed and catchy. Based on what I've heard so far, I wouldn't get the OST for this game.
Agree, for now. Who knows how I will feel after playing this game for 30 hours.

loosus said:
--The Mario starship thing is terrible. It's there to appease the few tards still left around who love hub worlds, but the shit has got to go. Is it as criminal as the hub world in Galaxy? No. But it's still bothersome and not worth having. Not sure why Nintendo still insisted on having it.
Disagree, for now. I enjoy having new things "unlocked" after certain points in the game.

Gino

I plan on getting at least 120 stars in this game. I'm gonna shoot for the full 241. I did it in the first game. Yes this one is harder but my wife loves the co-star mode and honestly the game is a lot easier when she's helping me out.

Also because I haven't said it yet. This and the first mario galaxy are really the best games this gen. They are just fun. The everything about the game is just happy. I love that I'm 26 years old but I don't feel like a kid playing it. I just makes you feel good.

The fun never stops.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What the hellll! How do I grab that rabbit in Cosmic Cove!! :lol

Edit: Oh shit Ice! Ice Skating! fuuuuck!

Neo Child

Banned
loving the game, only problem is its far too easy. at world 5 just now and completed that level with the tower and moving blocks. you can slow down time but that takes too long so i just did it without slowing shit down

taoofjord

Fuu said:
The universe was destroyed and reborn at the end of Galaxy 1 (the black hole, the lumas' sacrifice, "welcome new galaxy!" etc), so it's the same festival going on again at the start of this one (it happens once each 100 years) with no one remembering what happened in the first game because of the reset.

Ahhhh, yeah. Can't believe I forgot that part! Thanks for the reminder. :]

TylerD

18 stars in and deep into World 2. This game is very special and I can't wait to see what else it has in store for me. It has definitely been a great ride so far.

I have missed not having that "Yoshi" touch on Mario music.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My copy got here a day early thanks to Amazon squeaking it out the door Saturday night (Woo!)

On difficulty so far through world 1: the thing about this game is that /shit is happening/ at all times. Regardless of how many lives you lose beating a level, the sheer amount of chaos you have to deal with means you are not bored or running on auto-pilot. There's more than one kind of difficulty in a video game.

Meanwhile: dear god, why can we not have these graphics in all Wii games. While the engine is basically the same as Galaxy (AS IF IT NEEDED IMPROVEMENT) they're clearly taking even better advantage of it with more clever level construction and new styles of effects.

I quite like the music so far, and actually, consider Spin Dig Galaxy's music to be quite memorable and catchy. I don't mind the spaceship hub because I've never minded the hub worlds in 3D Mario and quite liked the hub in Sunshine and Galaxy 1. The hubs establish a certain sense of place and story without having to /have/ too much story on the screen.

I'll agree that the story opening was a bit weird at first until I remembered the reality reset from the first game. Puts a kind of a weird spin on the entire affair, since we've basically got groundhog day Mario going on.

Anyway, off to play more and clean up all the stars in World 1.

Threi

notag
Man Nintendo really knows how to make you feel like a kid again

I'm running around planets like a madman eating everything in sight with yoshi right now :lol

Haunted

Threi said:
All it took was me Z-backflipping once and I fell in love with SMG again.
g0cuK.gif
g0cuK.gif
g0cuK.gif
g0cuK.gif
g0cuK.gif

bridegur

KeeSomething said:

The main part of the game isn't super easy or difficult, but the optional side missions (of which there are many) can be pretty tough.

Also, as far as I can tell, it's the best 3D platformer ever. If I made 3D platformers for a living and wasn't part of the Galaxy team, I'd feel like a real ass.

Kard8p3

Gino said:
I plan on getting at least 120 stars in this game. I'm gonna shoot for the full 241. I did it in the first game. Yes this one is harder but my wife loves the co-star mode and honestly the game is a lot easier when she's helping me out.

Also because I haven't said it yet. This and the first mario galaxy are really the best games this gen. They are just fun. The everything about the game is just happy. I love that I'm 26 years old but I don't feel like a kid playing it. I just makes you feel good.

The fun never stops.

actually it's
242 stars.

TylerD

Jeels said:
Any tips for the chimp's stomping challenge. I've only gotten to 8000 points...

Don't forget the 1-up on top of the tree worth 1k and coins are all worth 100 pts. You just have to nail some of the jumps. Use your spin to get more air and keep the combo going.

Nicktals

Banned
Jeels said:
Any tips for the chimp's stomping challenge. I've only gotten to 8000 points...

Hmm. It took me several tries, and I'm trying to think of an actual tip...Mostly it is just practice, but let's see...

Spin between bounces. It can help you reach another enemy and chain your combo.

Once you lose your combo, go and collect the coins from the enemies you stomped (it's quick and easy, and each coin gives you 100 points).

Honestly that's really all I can think of. Just keep practicing, and you'll get it eventually!

zigg

Lathentar said:
What do the luigi ghosts do? They don't appear to be speed runs.

Well, they do pull off a few tricks. The few I actually bothered to challenge do seem to be pretty easy to beat though.

Can't say I've seen anything happen but an improved time in my records.

pakkit

Banned
This game is stuck in my mind. Very few games do that to me these days.

Did anyone else notice that at the end of Mystery Sweets Galaxy the cake was a lie?

Miau

Neo Member
So I caved in and saw the ending and credits on Youtube (again, fuck you NoE). Ryo Nagamatsu is listed alongside Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo. A quick googling showed he scored Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort and worked in NSMBW. It would be very interesting seeing which tracks where composed by each person.

My bet is on Yokota composing and handling the orchestration of the "big hit" themes (Fluffy Bluff, Sky Station 2, Melty Monster, etc), with Nagamatsu handling the synth and the rest of the music that has real instruments. Kondo is a wild guess; he admitted that he regretted not writing more music for SMG so maybe this time he composed more tunes (or maybe he just did the Starship Mario I/II/III like for the Comet Observatory?).

ruffles

TylerD said:
Don't forget the 1-up on top of the tree worth 1k and coins are all worth 100 pts. You just have to nail some of the jumps. Use your spin to get more air and keep the combo going.

Fuck, I didnt know about the 1up. Took me so many tries to get over 10,000.

ghibli99

This game is the best. I can't stop thinking or talking about it. People who dismiss it just because it's Mario are missing out on one of the great gaming experiences this generation. Can't wait to play more tonight!

Kad5

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Mario Galaxy 2 has a higher ranking than the first game on gamrankings.

I love the the "white-out" section of
Sorbetti's Chilly Reception in Freezy Flake Galaxy
. Kind of reminds me of World 5 in Yoshi's Island.

About the levels where you are given the option to
use Luigi
: we know that getting the star
with Luigi unlocks a staff ghost
, but is there any advantage to completing those stars
with Mario
? It doesn't look like there is to me, but maybe I missed something...

Nose Master

Gah. I'm trying not to neglect Alan Wake, but after playing a gameplay masterpiece like this... it's hard to make the transition :lol

Crazyorloco

Kad5 said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Mario Galaxy 2 has a higher ranking than the first game on gamerankings.
I was just about to post this.

Very nice Nintendo! Another great game. :D

EzLink

Banned
Ugh. Just got on UPS to track my Wii, it only left my state this morning :( I guess I forgot UPS doesn't do shit on weekends (I sent it in late Friday)

God I hope it doesn't take long for Nintendo to fix it and send it back to me. My copy of the game should arrive tomorrow. This is going to suck!

Seriously though, thank GOD for Red Dead Redemption. Huge awesome game that I still have plenty of shit in left to do, that should hold me over nicely. Also it will be cool playing masterpieces back to back at either end of the spectrum. With RDR you have a culmination of what gaming has built up to with technology, while Galaxy 2 seems to offer the absolute peak of simple, joyful fun.

Definately a great month for gaming. But still knowing that I'm not playing this game right this second when I could be is killer :/

EDIT: What the hell?? From the Nintendo repair page:

"When using the Factory Repair Service in the U.S., the approximate turnaround time is 9-11 business days from the time we receive the product. For repairs in Canada, please allow 14-21 business days from the time we receive the product, to when the product is back to you. The times listed above do not include the time it takes for the product to get to Nintendo."

and also

"Systems usually back to you in 2 to 3 weeks from the time the product is received by Nintendo."

The Nintendo rep I talked with on the phone said my system wouldn't be with Nintendo for longer than three days :/

Ugghhh

WillyFive

This game makes me want to fire up RPG Maker and make a game.

There are games that want you to play more games, and then there is Mario Galaxy 2, which makes you want to do it yourself, because it is the only to guarantee you can get this type of experience again.

Anyway, I just got up to 7 stars. Awesome game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kard8p3 said:
So can we officially confirm that the only major flaw with this game is the fact that it eventually ends?
There are many flaws:

-no online multiplayer
-No support for 3D TVs
-The cake is not a lie.. They just hand it to you at the beginning
-No Nolan North voice acting
-The Konami code does nothing
-breaks the cardinal rule of videogames and does not contain David Bowie

Nose Master

Final boss fight was so good.
Is it different if you get 120/240 stars? No details, just a yes or no. I was hoping he'd jump up again after the realistically same bossfight, and he diiiid :D. Even though the final part seemed like it was impossible to get hit, it was still fun :lol

BocoDragon said:
There are many flaws:

-no online multiplayer
-No support for 3D TVs
-The cake is not a lie.. They just hand it to you at the beginning
-No Nolan North voice acting
-The Konami code does nothing
-breaks the cardinal rule of videogames and does not contain David Bowie
Well then...I'm canceling my order and throwing my Wii away!

RetroMG

I know this was several pages back, but

Zing said:
After a level or two, we realize that she can grab coins. Now she is a coin-grabbing, enemy spinning, crystal breaking, star bit gatherer.

WHAT?

P2 can grab coins? My wife is playing as second player, and as I was swearing loudly about the stupid Luma who needs 30 coins in one of the early galaxies, and she said, "It's a shame I can't pick up coins for you." I just took her at her word that she knew what she was talking about.

Peff

Nose Master said:
Is it different if you get 120/240 stars? No details, just a yes or no. I was hoping he'd jump up again after the realistically same bossfight, and he diiiid :D. Even though the final part seemed like it was impossible to get hit, it was still fun :lol

The ending is longer, the boss fight is the same.

EDIT: ^Coins and a lot of the stuff you see: mushrooms, red mushrooms, purple coins...

Kard8p3

Nose Master said:

yeah I'm glad they switch it up for the final part I just wished there was a bit more too it. The way everything looks along with the music makes it incredibly epic but I expected bowser to do a bit more. Some fire breath and damaging meteors could have gone a long way in making better I think but it's still pretty awesome regardless. To answer your question though it seems it doesn't change depending on the amount of stars you have.

Top Bottom