• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
YagizY said:
Can you complete the game with 70 stars and then after that collect more stars and get the better ending?
yeah, you actually need to finish the game to get access to some.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, I just collected 120 stars. And
I unlocked the green prankster comets. After hearing about 120 MORE stars, I was pretty excited. Not sure how I feel about the Green Stars just being placed around the levels, though. I guess it'll keep things fun, though.

So is anything unlocked
after you get 240 stars? =P

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, is EAD Tokyo essentially Iwata's answer to "what will Nintendo do once Miyamoto retires"?

About 37 stars in, and more to come when I have time this week. I will say that something felt "off" - either clunky or slow - about the controls during the first level or two, but then all was well. I think it might be a combination of coming to this after NSMBW (with faster movement) and having Mario start on a larger environment. Once I hit small planetoids, all was well.

Still waiting to see when the remix of
Bob-Omb Battlefield
music appears.

zigg

Jasoco said:
Okay. How the fuck do I beat Sorbetti?
The red nosed snowman head
I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! There's no powerup and I can't hit him! WHAT? I am sad. It's something obvious. I know it is. WHAT IS IT?

Edit: Had to resort to a Wiki to figure it out.

To be fair,
his nose was pretty big and red!
I figured it out pretty quickly.

Doorman said:
You mean other than Luigi's inherent superiority?

Agreed, but fuck his used-cooking-oil-coated shoes.

Mejilan said:
OMG. Just got 120/140 of the Starshine Beach Galaxy's Purple Coin Beach Dash challenge. On my second try! Wow. I don't think I'll ever be able to do THAT again. :lol

First try ;) I think that one's a lot easier than it looks, really.

Dacvak said:
So, I just collected 120 stars. And
I unlocked the green prankster comets. After hearing about 120 MORE stars, I was pretty excited. Not sure how I feel about the Green Stars just being placed around the levels, though. I guess it'll keep things fun, though.

It gets better than what you've seen in the first few, really it does. I made that mistake myself first night. Many are
tricky platforming challenges
rather than just
hidden
. Some are both!

Now I'm at 172 and don't want to go to work, want to get more!

Dacvak said:
So is anything unlocked
after you get 240 stars? =P

Yeah. Did you notice
your World S isn't complete?

DavidDayton said:
So, is EAD Tokyo essentially Iwata's answer to "what will Nintendo do once Miyamoto retires"?

The drill was his baby. Or, at least, the basic idea.

Feindflug

I just love this game so much, I can't believe Ninty did it again....the game is so awesome and it's a proof that hardware means nothing when it comes to creating amazing games - I can't stop thinking about getting back home and start playing this beauty again.

Also I can't stop listening to the Starship theme, it just makes me feel like I'm 12 years old again...<3.

Kaldea

Next couple days are gonna be quite the wait. D: I have some other games that need playing, but I don't feel like touching anything else.

Masked Man

I said wow
Feindflug said:
I just love this game so much, I can't believe Ninty did it again....the game is so awesome and it's a proof that hardware means nothing when it comes to creating amazing games - I can't stop thinking about getting back home and start playing this beauty again.

Also I can't stop listening to the Starship theme, it just makes me feel like I'm 12 years old again...<3.

I agree with every aspect of this post. :D I woke up humming the Starship Mario theme--a really nice way to start the day. I just finished World 2 last night, and I can't wait to play some more!

BowieZ

Banned
Is it possible Koji Kondo composed the Starship Mario theme? The classical elegance certainly fits Kondo's style, but I'm just not sure. We know he composed at least one song -- Sky Station Galaxy -- which is purebred Kondo, but if he did the hub music as well, then that would match the pattern of his Comet Observatory/Good Egg theme contributions to SMG1.

NotWii

Banned
BowieZ said:
Is it possible Koji Kondo composed the Starship Mario theme? The classical elegance certainly fits Kondo's style, but I'm just not sure. We know he composed at least one song -- Sky Station Galaxy -- which is purebred Kondo, but if he did the hub music as well, then that would match the pattern of his Comet Observatory/Good Egg theme contributions to SMG1.
Sky Station Galaxy 1 sucks!
Sky Station Galaxy 2 is AMAZING

BowieZ

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
So far I've heard one song from SMG1 and thats

Freezeflame - Fire and Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Hdot-7m4E&feature=related

Any others included?
Going by various sites and YouTube uploads there are about twenty 'direct' returns from SMG1's score, half of which are identical (Freezeflame, star select, etc, won't spoil them), the others are slightly upgraded (Honeybloom, Supermassive, Danger Ahead!, etc) whether with real instruments this time or slightly adjusted basslines, remix drums, etc etc.

The problem with this is some people (such as those on the FFshrine site) are dismissing the score based on the number of returning pieces, without considering the sheer quantity of new material which totally outnumbers the repeats.

Assemble!

After only 3 stars, I realized this game was going to get very challenging, and that I didn't give a crap about a hub world or Rosalina. All I needed was for Bowser to grab the princess and then I was platforming. Simple and beautiful.

Christopher

So no hub? (

Sadness.

I will kinda of miss the story in Galaxy one it wasn't intrusive at all and was only there if you wanted it to be. So guys worth a buy if you enjoyed the first one?

WillyFive

Christopher said:
So no hub? (

Sadness.

I will kinda of miss the story in Galaxy one it wasn't intrusive at all and was only there if you wanted it to be. So guys worth a buy if you enjoyed the first one?

There is a hub. It's Spaceship Mario.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Christopher said:
So no hub? (

Sadness.

Read the thread, overwhelmingly yes.

rhino4evr

Christopher said:
So no hub? (

Sadness.

It's like a "mini-hub". There are still things to do between levels, if you want to just jump around and goof off. Really I think it works out great because you don't have to spend time going from world to world. I don't really miss the story either..in fact I was actually trying to skip what text there was, as it's written as if everyone that's playing the game is in first grade. It's really basic basic stuff.

Question about "Banktoad"....Do your starbits gain interest while the game is turned off?

stuminus3

So I sit up half the night playing a marathon 5 hour session, got around 32 stars. I'm thinking the whole time, "this is what Mario Galaxy 1 should have been."

Then I realise, Mario Galaxy was game of the forever, as close to the perfect videogame as there had ever been. So for me to be somehow thinking Galaxy 2 is the "fixed" version is like realising the world is imploding or something.

Imagine a world where these guys somehow got to make every video game there ever was. We'd be in some serious trouble.

zigg

rhino4evr said:
Do your starbits gain interest while the game is turned off?

I haven't the faintest clue how those work. They might be tied to how many stars you're earning.

I would also like to know how the 1UPs that you're given for having people playing on other save files works.

JSnake

This... this game. THIS GAME. I just got the second star and already I've been blown away consistently. Actually scratch that. Not a moment has gone by in this game where I haven't been blown away. I don't even have three stars and... and wow. Those first two stars man. This game is crazy. So much imagination. Each and every little planetoid seems like it's been meticulously crafted to appeal right to the "holy motherfucking shit" part of the brain. I'm in awe. Galaxy 1 was my favorite game.

Maybe it's the "new game smell." I doubt it. My jaw would not close from the second I booted the game up to the moment I put the controller down to type this. There was seriously a moment where I had to put the controller down and just rearrange my brain. My mouth completely agape.

God damn. This game.

Garcia

stuminus3 said:
I'm thinking the whole time, "this is what Mario Galaxy 1 should have been."

Yes ! I know what you mean.

I actually played Galaxy 1 last night after finishing the game with the 70 stars ending and hell, there really is a big, BIG gap between both. The original Galaxy felt clumsy and slow paced compared to Galaxy 2. I couldn't believe it !

One thing that struck me while in the
Throwback Galaxy
is how incredibly awesome a new Galaxy game would be with added Red Coins (or an equivalent) and much more challenge, like the extra star you got in M64 for a 100% coins gathered.

I think after 2 Galaxy games we're already acustomed to the new controls and we deserve some genuine hardcore challenge !

ruffles

Garcia said:
Yes ! I know what you mean.

I actually played Galaxy 1 last night after finishing the game with the 70 stars ending and hell, there really is a big, BIG gap between both. The original Galaxy felt clumsy and slow paced compared to Galaxy 2. I couldn't believe it !

One thing that struck me while in the
Throwback Galaxy
is how incredibly awesome a new Galaxy game would be with added Red Coins (or an equivalent) and much more challenge, like the extra star you got in M64 for a 100% coins gathered.

I think after 2 Galaxy games we're already acustomed to the new controls and we deserve some genuine hardcore challenge !

:eek: You beat it already? I'm on world 5 at 75 stars. If you want challenge do the comet stages.

fberger

I almost cry in the cloudy court galaxy, stage, music, fun, everything perfect !!
this is why VG exist, fun fun and fun !!! who never played a mario game before and likes only FPS and violent games needs play this game, and understand why every game and vg exist ! this game is a tibute to every game !

sorry for my terrible english !

Joei

The USPS really, really needs to hurry up and get my game to me!

I coudn't help but smile when I was reading those little excerpts about all the reviews that have been coming out.

taoofjord

Absolutely loving this game though there have been a few small disappointments along the way:

1) The yoshi song is insanely annoying. I've never even come close to disliking a song in a mario game before, let alone hate. Even my girlfriend couldn't stand it (and she doesn't even care about things like that).

2) I want Yoshi's sound effects to be more pronounced, especially with the tongue and gulping.

3) Yoshi moves SLIGHTLY too fast and should take just a tiny bit longer to accelerate to full speed.

4) I don't like how the game opens up, story-wise. I don't expect a good story in mario games, just a simple one that kinda makes sense and doesn't offend. But this one just felt lazy/thrown together. And what's with the Luma's not knowing who mario is? And the luma's and toads not knowing who bowser is (calling him "monster")? It feels like it takes place in a parallel world (is it supposed to?).

All that aside, the gameplay, level design, visuals are flat out perfect. I *love* the design of the starship. The game is just pure fun. Great power-ups too!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's a good thing Nintendo has a rich history of characters to draw on, because their character design in the Mario series has been ass in recent years. The pixels, the whittles (wow), CHIMP, and the delfino island residents :lol

CassSept

taoofjord said:
1) The yoshi song is insanely annoying. I've never even come close to disliking a song in a mario game before, let alone hate. Even my girlfriend couldn't stand it (and she doesn't even care about things like that).
Wat.
I can't stop humming it, and I still haven't even gotten the game. It's so damn catchy. It gets on your brain and never lets it go.
Neveeeeer.

Y2Kev said:
It's a good thing Nintendo has a rich history of characters to draw on, because their character design in the Mario series has been ass in recent years. The pixels, the whittles (wow), CHIMP, and the delfino island residents :lol

The Whittles are awesome, shut up :mad:

taoofjord said:
4) I don't like how the game opens up, story-wise. I don't expect a good story in mario games, just a simple one that kinda makes sense and doesn't offend. But this one just felt lazy/thrown together. And what's with the Luma's not knowing who mario is? And the luma's and toads not knowing who bowser is (calling him "monster")? It feels like it takes place in a parallel world (is it supposed to?).

I'm totally surprised people care or know such details. I was tapping the A button so I could actually get to the real game.

Is there any way to totally bypass the intro and get to the actual game?

wRATH2x

Banned
I was going to buy it today but the guy didn't have it yet, he'll call me if he has it tomorrow. I'll buy it if the mustachioed fellow doesn't interfere and my mom doesn't steal anymore of my money.

Top Bottom