• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

BocoDragon said:
There are many flaws:

-no online multiplayer
-No support for 3D TVs
-The cake is not a lie.. They just hand it to you at the beginning
-No Nolan North voice acting
-The Konami code does nothing
-breaks the cardinal rule of videogames and does not contain David Bowie
:lol :lol

rhino4evr

RetroGamer42 said:
I know this was several pages back, but

WHAT?

P2 can grab coins? My wife is playing as second player, and as I was swearing loudly about the stupid Luma who needs 30 coins in one of the early galaxies, and she said, "It's a shame I can't pick up coins for you." I just took her at her word that she knew what she was talking about.

It's time to look for a new life mate.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Okay,
Flipsville
Galaxy 2nd star. Greatest video game level ever?

Yes.

EDIT shit, forgot
Sweet Mystery
Galaxy. AMAZING LEVEL. And any Galaxy with Yoshi.

rhino4evr

Willy105 said:
That's excessive, but yeah, P2 can pick up tons of stuff, and even take out enemies.

she was clearly hoping he would fail. Possible it was revenge for him not doing the dishes like she asked. :lol

[Nintex]

SovanJedi said:
Yeah, you guys have fun, I'll just sit here in Europe and sulk a bit.

:(
Me too and I played the retail version at NoE so fuck this shit seriously. :lol

I only have the soundtrack to listen to.. :(

BocoDragon said:
There are many flaws:

-no online multiplayer
-No support for 3D TVs
-No HD towns

RetroMG

rhino4evr said:
she was clearly hoping he would fail. Possible it was revenge for him not doing the dishes like she asked. :lol

Are you kidding? I am the Dish MASTER. I rock at doing dishes. I'd blame latent Player 1 envy, but she tried being P1 and handed it back to me.

We figured out she can kill and break things. She actually keeps saying she appreciates how much more P2 can do now as opposed to in SMG1. But seriously. Is there any trick to picking up coins? Because that will make my life so much easier.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Amazon sent me an email saying my order has shipped, but when I look at my orders, it says there are none.

Should I be worried or does this just happen sometimes?

rhino4evr

zigg said:
Purple coins too!

(very helpful for Clockwork Ruins)

oh shit really? I may have to enlist my wife for that. LOL.

Question: Are there any purple coin challenges similar to the ones in Galaxy? You know moving platform, with only once chance at collecting each coin, or you have to retry from the beginning. I HATED those so much.

So Gaf, which did you enjoy more?

Galaxy 1
Bombing trash
or
Galaxy 2
Burning Crates

I enjoyed the latter slightly more myself.

God this game is so much fun. I'm at 58 star and I don't want to stop, but I don't want to complete the game to fast and end the experience.

My favourite star so far is the
Bowling challenge Star. Using Rock mario to knock down all the pin is very satisfying.

For those who ordered on Amazon, when do you get the MP3 code? I already got my email for the $20 dollar game credit but I haven't received anything else for the music yet.

Peff

rhino4evr said:
oh shit really? I may have to enlist my wife for that. LOL.

Question: Are there any purple coin challenges similar to the ones in Galaxy? You know moving platform, with only once chance at collecting each coin, or you have to retry from the beginning. I HATED those so much.

Sort of...
Luigi's purple coins is back, but this time Cosmic Marios follow you and there are only 100 coins instead of 150. On the other hand there are no rotating platforms (there are disappearing platforms though). Also, a ball stage has one of these too, but it's a bit more lenient

sazzy

How are you guys spending your SMG2 promotional credit? (from amazon, eb, kmart, etc...)

I've got 20 bucks credit, and don't know where to spend it. Expires at the end of July...

rhino4evr

Peff said:
Sort of...
Luigi's purple coins is back, but this time Cosmic Marios follow you and there are only 100 coins instead of 150. On the other hand there are no rotating platforms (there are disappearing platforms though). Also, a ball stage has one of these too, but it's a bit more lenient

yeah not the same thing. Im talking the one where you were on a moving platform and the cannons were firing off at you, and if you accidently missed a coin, or got hit and lost track of the platform it was pretty much game over.

Peff

rhino4evr said:
yeah not the same thing. Im talking the one where you were on a moving platform and the cannons were firing off at you, and if you accidently missed a coin, or got hit and lost track of the platform it was pretty much game over.

Ball stage, then :lol There are 110 coins and you need 100, and you can't always go back if you miss. Also the slide level you might have done already has one too, but that's 140

sazzy said:
How are you guys spending your SMG2 promotional credit? (from amazon, eb, kmart, etc...)

I've got 20 bucks credit, and don't know where to spend it. Expires at the end of July...
If I had that credit I'd be putting it toward Starcraft 2.

zigg

rhino4evr said:

A few of those actually, sorry! I was just glad to see there aren't any more of those "did you look behind the tree?" ones—they're all right there, you just have to do some platforming activity to get them. So I was pretty happy :)

DeathbyVolcano said:
Burning crates is much easier, and the fire flower is improved in how fast you can shoot fireballs, so Galaxy 2's trash clean up by far.

I was pissed at crate-burning till I realized I was playing the second one. Found the first one later (I just... kept forgetting to go in the pipe, I guess) and it was indeed stunningly easy.

Both of those make up the only stars I can honestly say I disliked in G2, and since the first one was cake, it's hard to complain much.

Peff said:
Ball stage, then :lol There are 110 coins and you need 100, and you can't always go back if you miss. Also the slide level you might have done already has one too, but that's 140

That one's timed, too!

bridegur

sazzy said:

I'm probably going to wait for RDR to drop to $40 and then apply it to that.

rhino4evr

Peff said:

I haven't played either but had heard about those..for some reason that doesnt bother me as much. I guess I will find out when I get there.

zigg

I think it's pretty hilarious that the Gearmos at the ends of those levels will kill you if you fail to get 100 coins. :lol

mattx5

So is there a detailed description of the
Throwback Galaxy
yet? I thought it was supposed to be more than just
the Mario 64 level + the Sunshine retro level
?

EzLink

Banned
sazzy said:

I've got the $20 credit from this plus the $20 gift card from Red Dead Redemption, so I'll probably be buying Crackdown 2 with it. Unless there is some other awesome game coming out before August that I'm not remembering

zigg

mattx5 said:
Throwback Galaxy
?

Throwback is two stars (boss fight, silver stars) and a comet (timed silver stars) based on Whomp's Fortress.

Twisty Trials, another galaxy, is based on the Sunshine level. IIRC, it's just one star and a comet (faster-turning platforms, no cloud suit.)

FSLink

Banned
mattx5 said:
Throwback Galaxy
?
It's
just the Mario 64 level. The Sunshine level is in a different galaxy in Special World.

WillyFive

RPG_Fanatic said:
So Gaf, which did you enjoy more?

Galaxy 1
Bombing trash
or
Galaxy 2
Burning Crates

I enjoyed the latter slightly more myself.

God this game is so much fun. I'm at 58 star and I don't want to stop, but I don't want to complete the game to fast and end the experience.

My favourite star so far is the
Bowling challenge Star. Using Rock mario to knock down all the pin is very satisfying.

Burning crates
, no contest.

I groaned when I saw the crates and the mechanic dude, but then I ended up liking it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
sazzy said:

Not sure. I'm probably just going to randomly browse Amazon for some fun cheap thing, and go "oh hey. I'd like to snag that"

sazzy said:

Probably going to spend it on preordering Halo Reach, though I'm not certain that it works on pre orders.

Edit: It does, Halo Reach preordered.

Jasoco

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
Burning crates is much easier, and the fire flower is improved in how fast you can shoot fireballs, so Galaxy 2's trash clean up by far.
I discovered that if when you start, you work your way to the bottom, then walk across from left to right firing up at intervals of every two crates, you can get them in no time. I've finished with 2 seconds left on the 3rd try on the second time. Crates > Trash. Thank you, Nintendo.

zigg

Jasoco said:
I discovered that if when you start, you work your way to the bottom, then walk across from left to right firing up at intervals of every two crates, you can get them in no time. I've finished with 2 seconds left on the 3rd try on the second time. Crates > Trash. Thank you, Nintendo.

Two seconds left isn't "no time," though. (I discovered this same thing; cleared it barely at zero.)

A thank-you would be properly given for excluding this concept from the game in the first place. :D

Bentendo

I'm going to make a Super Mario Galaxy series CD for my roadtrip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton and want to know which songs you suggest?

Definity

My son and I played this for what seemed like forever yesterday. So goood. I really like how the main hub world is replaced with the more streamlined map. And the creativity found in these level designs are mind boggling.

sazzy said:

I've got my eye on Alan Wake. Either that or I wait on Alan Wake and put the credit towards Crackdown 2.

Mardak

sazzy said:
How are you guys spending your SMG2 promotional credit?
You can always preorder games on Amazon.com too. I picked up Monster Hunter Tri with a $10 credit and used it to preorder Galaxy 2. I might pre-order Sin & Punishment or Metroid. Or perhaps just pick up Trauma Team. Nice thing about Amazon is that you can always cancel before it ships.

Jasoco

Banned
zigg said:
Two seconds left isn't "no time," though. (I discovered this same thing; cleared it barely at zero.)

A thank-you would be properly given for excluding this concept from the game in the first place. :D
The problem with the old Bomb Trash was that the bombs took 10 seconds to explode. So instead of the 30 seconds you get at the start, you only had 20 usable ones. If you didn't place all the bombs by 10 seconds you were screwed and had to wait that last 10 seconds to see that you lost.

They fixed it this time by starting you with 20 seconds and giving you fire instead of bombs. Thank GOD. How many times do you have to do it in the game? I've done it twice. Both times had no trouble.

boiled goose

good with gravy
BocoDragon said:
There are many flaws:

-no online multiplayer
-No support for 3D TVs

I think online leaderboards and video sharing and a more prominent score component would be nice. :)

It could lead to an awesome community, crazy speed runs, etc.

Amazon is amazing. I got free shipping, and they got the game to me today, one day after it was released. Just amazing.

Three levels in, and I already have 21 lives. What's the point of the lives, seriously? Does it max out at 99?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Blu_LED said:
Amazon is amazing. I got free shipping, and they got the game to me today, one day after it was released. Just amazing.

Three levels in, and I already have 21 lives. What's the point of the lives, seriously? Does it max out at 99?

You are just 3 levels in.... just a assumption... maybe levels later on will get more difficult ?

Top Bottom