• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Nose Master

Anyone else think
Squizzard, the quicksand boss, looked like shit? Animated really awkwardly.
He's definitely this games Bouldergeist. *shudder*

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dartastic said:
I got it, but I didn't know that I'd have to use it on something that ships by the end of July. =(

u can use it on preorders
u just have to find something to use it on by the end of july

adg1034

Stormwatch said:
Has anybody actually received their $20 gaming credit yet from Amazon? I was hoping to use it to preorder Modnation Racers, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I got it yesterday, and used it to finally pick up NSMB Wii, which is now down to $35 direct from Amazon. It also comes with its own $10 gaming credit, which made this an even sweeter deal.

rhino4evr

Ok so I just finished the first "rush" stage with yoshi...did anyone else have a really hard time getting this star at the end? I must have fallen like 15 times..I feel like I'm doing something wrong. The only way i was able to get the star was from flutter jumping at the very end....I hope there aren't too many stars like this...

And to bring up another point...the game instantly got amazing once I started world 2..

Teknoman

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so, the $20 Amazon credit is only towards new titles? It would be really broken if it worked on used games as well...right?

I thought it was just applied to whatever your next purchase was.

Nose Master

Gillian Seed said:
I am loving the sequel so far, but am i the only one who prefers the solo Mario sections over using Yoshi?

Yoshi gets old a little fast. He runs/controls too awkwardly compared to the tightness with Mario.

Tightness.

Too busy enjoying the game since late Saturday night to discuss it (and it's gonna stay that way for a long time until I'm done). It's absolutely amazing so far, love how the game dumps you into an action packed stage right after the story intro. Playing with Yoshi is sweet and very fluid, my only gripes with that so far though (besides the obvious fact you can't take him to other stages to mess around in) is that he can't do his signature pound-the-ground move (main reason this bugs me is because Yoshi's Island introduced this sweet move to the series obviously, not Mario 64) which I find a bit restrictive. On this same note, Yoshi will not fire off his tongue when you want him to. Unless an enemy or target is right in front of him he'll just open his mouth. These are just nitpics and don't hinder the game itself but I don't like it when devs try to make you play a game exactly the way they want you to. Otherwise, fantastic sequel so far and well worth the wait.

Teknoman

Whats up with Nintendo not putting (im assuming its not in Galaxy 2) in a Rainbow Road Galaxy stage? Was kinda disappointed to hear and see the Rainbow Road world in NSMB Wii, and not have an actual Rainbow Road stage. Even more so after hearing the Mario Kart Wii theme with Galaxy segments.

Would've made for a nice hidden area i'm sure.

Teknoman said:
Whats up with Nintendo not putting (im assuming its not in Galaxy 2) in a Rainbow Road Galaxy stage? Was kinda disappointed to hear and see the Rainbow Road world in NSMB Wii, and not have an actual Rainbow Road stage. Even more so after hearing the Mario Kart Wii theme with Galaxy segments.

Would've made for a nice hidden area i'm sure.
It is.

I disagree with anyone saying they don't like Yoshi.

Yoshi adds a lot to the game and controls more than fine(couldn't do it much better in 3D).

Plus, look at all the powerups with Yoshi.

Though, I have to say my favorite powerup has to be the drill but the cloud one and even the boulder are not far behind.

Gryphter said:
I've got my eye on Alan Wake. Either that or I wait on Alan Wake and put the credit towards Crackdown 2.
Alan Wake is AMAZING.

So, there are no clues as to how many stars are in a "galaxy" right? I noticed I had a galaxy or two in the first "world" that only had one star, didn't think that was right so I looked it up and apparently there was a hidden star after all. Anyway to discern how many stars a galaxy has or do you just have to keep replaying a level and searching everywhere?

Nose Master

SquallASF said:
Alan Wake is AMAZING.

So, there are no clues as to how many stars are in a "galaxy" right? I noticed I had a galaxy or two in the first "world" that only had one star, didn't think that was right so I looked it up and apparently there was a hidden star after all. Anyway to discern how many stars a galaxy has or do you just have to keep replaying a level and searching everywhere?

The hidden stars show up right away, if you reselect a level there'll be a ? above the star with the "hidden" star in question. 90% of the time it's just a coin/star luma.

Also, there's a silver crown on the level after you get all the stars and comet coins. A lot of the time you have to wait for hte comet to spawn on that stage to get the last star.

Lets post some of our most embarrassing Galaxy 2 deaths.

Melting a Ice block with Fire Mario and getting squashed by the ice blocks above it.
:D

Jrmint

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Though, I have to say my favorite powerup has to be the drill but the cloud one and even the boulder are not far behind.
I love Rock Mario, it is my favorite power up at this point (18 stars in)

I wasn't a big fan of Drill Mario, felt a little awkward.

OK just finished the comet on flip-swap and I have to say, this game is

OMGAWESOME.

I killed myself 3 times because I tried to scratch my face while I was playing and accidentally flipped the squares.

Skel said:
I love Rock Mario, it is my favorite power up at this point (18 stars in)

I wasn't a big fan of Drill Mario, felt a little awkward.

I'm pretty partial to Cloud Mario over the rest myself. The Bee suit feels slower this time around to me, but then again, I feel as if Mario himself is slightly sped up over Galaxy 1.

Jrmint

Incitemaybe said:
I'm pretty partial to Cloud Mario over the rest myself. The Bee suit feels slower this time around to me, but then again, I feel as if Mario himself is slightly sped up over Galaxy 1.
Yea the Cloud Suit is definitely my second favorite, it is really fun too, and looks cool to boot :D . Just did the 1st star with the bee suit, not all that fun imo.

What was awkward about drilling through dirt? Or do you mean the way he holds the drill?
Awkward was probably the wrong word to use. It just felt confusing to me at first. That first area you land in with the 1up in the cage I got so confused in since it really was unclear where you would end up. Once I played it more though it made sense, but overall just didn't feel all that fun to me.

Hunahan

Banned
ggaaaaaahhhHH!!!

My wii just broke. :(

Two stages in for the day, then bam, stops registering wiimotes. Buttons work, directions work, nunchucks work, but the pointer will not appear on screen, and when it does, it's like an epileptic seizure.

Tried different wiimotes, different nunchucks, rebooting the system...it's just fucked.

I don't think there could ever be worse timing.

....I'm tempted to just run to the store and buy a new Wii. But then I lose all my Wiiware and save games and stuff, right?

argh.

This is the third tech problem I've had with this system. How can I be this unlucky.

So I've been "pre-gaming" with SMG1 and I'm up to 75 or so stars. My question is, at least for the people who were doing similar things...do I push for the 120 with Mario in SMG1, or do I set it aside and hit up SMG2?

I don't want to get burnt out, I guess

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SirPenguin said:
So I've been "pre-gaming" with SMG1 and I'm up to 75 or so stars. My question is, at least for the people who were doing similar things...do I push for the 120 with Mario in SMG1, or do I set it aside and hit up SMG2?

I'd put it to the side. You want to go in fresh, not burnt out, and that is very possible if you start trying to 120 Galaxy 1 days before 2.

Eric C

Hunahan said:
ggaaaaaahhhHH!!!

Two stages in for the day, then bam, stops registering wiimotes. Buttons work, directions work, nunchucks work, but the pointer will not appear on screen, and when it does, it's like an epileptic seizure.

Tried different wiimotes, different nunchucks, rebooting the system...it's just fucked.

....I'm tempted to just run to the store and buy a new Wii. But then I lose all my Wiiware and save games and stuff, right?

argh.

This is the third tech problem I've had with this system. How can I be this unlucky.

Maybe it's your sensor bar.

jonezer4

Ericsc said:
Maybe it's your sensor bar.

It's almost certainly the sensor bar. Try adjusting the sensitivity of it in the Wii menu options and be sure you're close enough.

You can also try candles as a replacement to see if the sensor bar is just downright broken. (Also, if you look at the sensor bar through the screen of a digital camera, you can see the IR lights and be sure both are functioning.)

If the problem is the sensor bar having gone kaput, it's a cheap fix as 3rd party sensor bars are like 15 bucks.

SirPenguin said:

I would also say just jump into Galaxy 2. You can always go back when you feel like it. I'd say going in fresher to Galaxy 2 is better ;-)

Hunahan said:
ggaaaaaahhhHH!!!

argh.

Sounds like the sensor bar. Check the cable. My cat chewed through mine this winter so I ended up buying a wireless sensor bar.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Craig was right, Cloud Mario boss fight is brilliant! I just wish it was a little longer and harder.

World 4 and beyond has been sooo gooodddd!!

Oh man about 40+ stars in and SMG2 is everything.

A totally more refined experience and the better difficulty balance makes this game just excellent.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SovanJedi said:
Yeah, you guys have fun, I'll just sit here in Europe and sulk a bit.

:(

All you European fools should get busy with Sin and Punishment 2 and Jam with the Band instead. Then, if SMG2 still isn't out, go play S&P2 some more. And Pikmin 2. And Trace Memory 2. And hell, go play Disaster some more too.

Ok, you're not fools. I love you guys.
But come on, NoE has certainly been improving... hell, proportional to how much NoA has been sucking!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
rhino4evr said:
are there any specific noises that come out of the Wii-mote speaker? I normally turn the volume off on it. If it's just the sound of getting coins, then I think I will keep it off..

no one answered...how does Bank Toad work?

Actually there is some cool use for the wiimote speaker in this one. Beats play through the wiimote to signal when platforms are going to flip or disappear. Very helpful. Also, when you pull of a cool combo or 1up, the crowd cheers through the wiimote on this one. I would keep it on if you can.

Bank Toad.... have no fricken idea why he is there. You can deposit and withdrawal star bits from him, but I don't know why you would need to. He also collects star bits for you... but little guy can only bring in like 4 at a time. I use him just because I don't want to incidentally shoot away some of my star bits.... and for laughs.

Skiesofwonder said:
Actually there is some cool use for the wiimote speaker in this one. Beats play through the wiimote to signal when platforms are going to flip or disappear. Very helpful. Also, when you pull of a cool combo or 1up, the crowd cheers through the wiimote on this one. I would keep it on if you can.

Bank Toad.... have no fricken idea why he is there. You can deposit and withdrawal star bits from him, but I don't know why you would need to. He also collects star bits for you... but little guy can only bring in like 4 at a time. I use him just because I don't want to incidentally shoot away some of my star bits.... and for laughs.

I think the bank toad is shared between the 3 save files. So someone could start a new game talk to the toad and withdraw all of your stored star bits.

JRW

RPG_Fanatic said:
So Gaf, which did you enjoy more?

Galaxy 1
Bombing trash
or
Galaxy 2
Burning Crates

I enjoyed the latter slightly more myself.

God this game is so much fun. I'm at 58 star and I don't want to stop, but I don't want to complete the game to fast and end the experience.

My favourite star so far is the
Bowling challenge Star. Using Rock mario to knock down all the pin is very satisfying.

Galaxy 1 only because
it was actually challenging. i completed the burning crates on first try

Mejilan

rhino4evr said:
are there any specific noises that come out of the Wii-mote speaker? I normally turn the volume off on it. If it's just the sound of getting coins, then I think I will keep it off..

Some are just for fun (a crowd cheers for you through the remote if you succeed in getting all of the coins of a classic challenge room). Others are, IMHO, essential. One example is the Beat Blocks Galaxy, which features platforms that, well, flip on and off to the beat of an invisible metronome. The metronome ticks and tocks through the Wiimote's speakers. There's also a subtle flash along the outlines of the blocks themselves, but relying on the audio cues from the Wiimote instead of the on-screen visual cues helps a ton, since your eyes and that part of your brain are free to focus on where the fuck you're going!

no one answered...how does Bank Toad work?
Dump loot into the bank Toad and you'll earn a tiny bit of interest over time. He'll also gift you with 1ups periodically. Dump enough star bit loot and he'll upgrade his look and equipment. I'm doing it more for shits and giggles than anything, since the returns on the investment are marginal, at best. I've got about 5000 stored with him, and he'll occasionally "find" 4 star bits, or 7 star bits. *shrugs* At this point, I'm more interested in what his next outfit will be. He's gone from a regular Toad, to a spear-wielding Toad, to a mining Toad.

Nose Master

@ 100 Stars, churning out those last 20 is going to suck. Especially
Luigi's Purple Coins
... :(

EDIT: WAT. I completely skipped a few galaxies in World 6. Never saw clockwork until now :lol

Xux

Mejilan said:
Some are just for fun (a crowd cheers for you through the remote if you succeed in getting all of the coins of a classic challenge room). Others are, IMHO, essential. One example is the Beat Blocks Galaxy, which features platforms that, well, flip on and off to the beat of an invisible metronome. The metronome ticks and tocks through the Wiimote's speakers. There's also a subtle flash along the outlines of the blocks themselves, but relying on the audio cues from the Wiimote instead of the on-screen visual cues helps a ton, since your eyes and that part of your brain are free to focus on where the fuck you're going!

You can always listen to the music as they disappear in tune with that. There's also a beep when they're about to disappear.

Mejilan

Xux said:
You can always listen to the music as they disappear in tune with that. There's also a beep when they're about to disappear.

But it works so well through the Wiimote! :D

Chris R

Bankertoad only banks in Star Bits or will there be a way for me to carry my 1 ups from one play time to the next? Oh and what does the (super early spoiler I guess, like 6 stars in)
fireball box game get you?

BowieZ

Banned
I guess everyone's away madly dashing through the first handful of worlds, eh?

So are people trying to avoid the 6-life mushrooms? I felt reaching them but not taking them made SMG1 a much more enjoyably challenging experience, so I'm going to do that again this time.

Meanwhile, the soundtrack's title screen music has already got 40,000+ views on YouTube. :lol

Lijik

fireside said:
No it's not.
This is the most wrongity wrongest post I have ever seen.

A friend and I played through that stage together hotseat style and it was by far the most fun we had during our play session

Nose Master

Twisty Turvy comet, why do you hate me? Not being able to spin jump after not getting a proper footing/jump confused me so much for the first... 30 deaths. :lol I'm going to have 99 lives by the time I get this god damn star.

Top Bottom