• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

andymcc

Banned
Buckethead said:
DUDE SPOILERS

wow, really? i mean, isn't it that obvious? :lol

i'm getting ready to fight the final boss myself. game is really awesome, improved in virtually every way over the first one. It's a much more difficult game, which was my main caveat with the original. it does have some frustrating, rather stupid stars
the monkey, gliding, and box burning minigames feel like they could fit alongside a mario party game
but these minor flaws are overshadowed by the consistently changing level design. really awesome, best mario game i've played, etc.

Finished it. This game freezes time because it felt as if no time has passed. GOTY for sure.

Some comparisons with Galaxy 1: Length wise it is much shorter than the first game, like just comparing the clocks, it is somewhere between 1/3rd to 1/2th the length of Galaxy 1. Not a bad thing at all because the pacing is phenomenal. Difficulty wise, the game is considerably less difficult than the first game. I don't have a problem with it since it also means there are far less frustrating sections. Has an expansion pack feel to it, but I guess that would make it the best expansion pack ever, so that's pretty damn good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Linkzg said:
Finished it. This game freezes time because it felt as if no time has passed. GOTY for sure.

Some comparisons with Galaxy 1: Length wise it is much shorter than the first game, like just comparing the clocks, it is somewhere between 1/3rd to 1/2th the length of Galaxy 1. Not a bad thing at all because the pacing is phenomenal.

But did you finish it or did you finish it?

-PXG-

andymcc said:
wow, really? i mean, isn't it that obvious? :lol

i'm getting ready to fight the final boss myself. game is really awesome, improved in virtually every way over the first one. It's a much more difficult game, which was my main caveat with the original. it does have some frustrating, rather stupid stars
the monkey, gliding, and box burning minigames feel like they could fit alongside a mario party game
but these minor flaws are overshadowed by the consistently changing level design. really awesome, best mario game i've played, etc.

Yeah, those mini-games are pretty annoying. I liked the ones where you had to
get the high score by jumping on enemies
. The
ice skating
ones are pretty fun too. The
fire flower and gliding challenges (the races with the black bird are even more obnoxious)
almost made me tear my hair out.

I'm trying to get all of the stars so I can unlock all of
the levels in the Special World. Getting 110 stars is gonna be a bitch. I already have over 2000 star bits for the final Hungry Luma though.

TheFreshPrince

Am I remembering wrong or did stars take far longer to get in 64 and Sunshine?

It seems like the levels in 64 and Sunshine were so much bigger, and therefore required far more traversal. The end of World 1 in Galaxy2 is sooooo short, whereas Bowser levels in 64 seemed so much longer.

Is my memory deceiving me or is Galaxy2 really bite-sized Mario?

Jasoco

Banned
Just did Slimey Spring. With all the complaining you guys were doing, I was expecting something hard. That was easier than any level I've done, and had an amazing ending to boot.

Man I'm loving this game. The Battle Belt level was awesome. But man, I don't know how I'll ever beat that boss of the secret star.
The firey version of the dragon.
Will take a few tries.

Also, Boo Moon's music is soooo amazing. Sounds like something out of a Disney movie. Holy shit. One of many super tracks in this game. Where can I find the ENTIRE soundtrack to add to iTunes like I did with Galaxy 1's music.

fernoca said:
Though in online forums, you never know..
I was banned once, for saying that you fought Gannondorf in Zelda..
WHAT? BAN THIS MAN!!!
JUST KIDDING! Don't ban him.

Pre

I got back from Wal-Mart with my copy a couple of hours ago and played the first couple of galaxies and got three stars. The game is spectacular and Yoshi controls beautifully, but for some reason I don't have the same giddiness I had when I first played the original. Still an excellent game thus far and I'm excited to see how things progress.

Regulus Tera said:
But did you finish it or did you finish it?

oh shit
I didn't even notice that. I knew 108 wouldn't be the total number of stars :lol

I take back the time thing. I'm guessing in the end it would have roughly taken me 10 hours less than Galaxy 1 if the Wii clock is to believed.

-PXG-

Jasoco said:
Just did Slimey Spring. With all the complaining you guys were doing, I was expecting something hard. That was easier than any level I've done, and had an amazing ending to boot.

Man I'm loving this game. The Battle Belt level was awesome. But man, I don't know how I'll ever beat that boss of the secret star.
The firey version of the dragon.
Will take a few tries.

Also, Boo Moon's music is soooo amazing. Sounds like something out of a Disney movie. Holy shit. One of many super tracks in this game. Where can I find the ENTIRE soundtrack to add to iTunes like I did with Galaxy 1's music.

WHAT? BAN THIS MAN!!!
JUST KIDDING! Don't ban him.

If you thought Battle Belt was cool, just wait until
the Daredevil comet appears.
However, they do give you a break by
keeping the check points
in the level.

The most frustrating parts for me so far were:
- The secret star on Boo Moon. Seriously, the last set of blocks were moving so fast. Plus, I was playing as Luigi, so it made it even harder

- The Double Time comet star on Beat Block Galaxy. Holy shit that was annoying. I died SO many times trying to get the silver stars.

- The Daredevil comet star for the boss on Slipsand Galaxy. I haven't beaten it yet, but already it's a pain in the ass.

- Most of the Speed Run comet star on Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy is not so tough, but kiss that star goodbye once you get to the silver Chomp. I either run out of time or he knocks me off the edge.

Kard8p3

TheFreshPrince said:
whereas Bowser levels in 64 seemed so much longer.

They might have seemed longer simply because of the fact that it was the first 3D mario so we were still getting used to how everything worked. Really though the 64 bowser levels are quite short and I can plow through them much quickly.

Kard8p3

Linkzg said:
oh shit
I didn't even notice that. I knew 108 wouldn't be the total number of stars :lol

yeah dude you don't even have half the stars yet. You still more game ahead of you.

BowieZ

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Yoshi needs his own game on Wii, they got the controls down perfectly.
It really sounds like the perfect vehicle for the next 2D Mario game, to me. So they may do some 3D NSMB on the 3DS, but they could do a New Yoshi's Island Wii with beautiful 3D graphics on the Wii, similar to what they've done in the 2D sections in SMG2, only a bit more crayon-style.

Kard8p3 said:
They might have seemed longer simply because of the fact that it was the first 3D mario so we were still getting used to how everything worked. Really though the 64 bowser levels are quite short and I can plow through them much quickly.
Indeed... on a recent playthrough of SM64, I was startled at how quick and painless 80% of the stars were... with my matured platforming skills, though knowing where to go in the "exploration" environments helps, of course.

-PXG-

I just watched a video on Youtube of the REAL final star in the game. Holy shit. Amazing how people have already gotten it. God damn it looks hard. No joke. They call it
Grand Master
for a reason.

bridegur

BowieZ said:
It really sounds like the perfect vehicle for the next 2D Mario game, to me. So they may do some 3D NSMB on the 3DS, but they could do a New Yoshi's Island Wii with beautiful 3D graphics on the Wii, similar to what they've done in the 2D sections in SMG2, only a bit more crayon-style.

I'd love to see a cell-shaded Yoshi platformer on the Wii.

Kard8p3

BowieZ said:
Indeed... on a recent playthrough of SM64, I was startled at how quick and painless 80% of the stars were... with my matured platforming skills, though knowing where to go in the "exploration" environments helps, of course.

Yeah after I beat the original galaxy I went back to 64 and was shocked to find that it only took a few hours to beat the game. I remember working weeks to get all the stars back when it first came out so it was a surprise to get through it so quickly. Going back to Mario 64 really makes you notice just how far 3D platformers have come since then.

47 Stars!!! Huzzah! Finished what I could of World 3. I'm missing a few Comet Coins >_<

This is my favorite Wii game ever! :D

vazel said:
Has anyone gotten their $20 credit from Amazon yet? I'm antsy for it...
I did, also got my $10 credit for Trauma Team. Gonna use it on Sin & Punishment: Star Successor.

Linkzg said:
half...what?

I had 106 after the world 6 bowser stage. then the last two comets in that world made 108 total. Are you telling me there are a lot more?

I think there is 120 total, which I think is the standard these days.

Kard8p3 said:
yeah dude you don't even have half the stars yet. You still more game ahead of you.

half...what?

I had 106 after the world 6 bowser stage. then the last two comets in that world made 108 total. Are you telling me there are a lot more?

Kard8p3

Linkzg said:
half...what?

indeed there are a lot more. As a matter of fact there are a total of 242.

Jasoco

Banned
I just beat Bowser at 70. It unlocked the
World S

I'm disappointed that
the final part of the final battle
had the best music in the game, but you don't get to hear it because you win so soon.

-PXG-

Never has a game or its soundtrack, ever made me shed a tear... until now. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a true masterpiece. Video game perfection has been accomplished folks. The bar cannot be raised any higher. Christ has been resurrected in the form of this game.

All gamers, game lovers and enthusiasts must play this. At least the first couple of levels or the first world. If this isn't the gamers game, I don't what is. I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game I've ever played. Yeah...thats fucking right GAF.

Thank you Nintendo, for showing gamers and the entire industry what video games are all about and why people play them.

-PXG- said:
Never has a game or its soundtrack, ever made me shed a tear... until now. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a true masterpiece. Video game perfection has been accomplished folks. The bar cannot be raised any higher. Christ has been resurrected in the form of this game.

All gamers, game lovers and enthusiasts must play this. At least the first couple of levels or the first world. If this isn't the gamers game, I don't what is. I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game I've ever played. Yeah...thats fucking right GAF.

Not so crazy, really. Definitely my favorite single player game ever. So much variation and its all so good.

except the circus ball stuff. SCREW that noise, took 15 lives from me :lol

-PXG-

Some may disregard my post as nonsensical hyperbole. Fuck 'em. I never thought that a video game, of all things, could make so happy. The amount of charm and high level production in this game is unreal. What I'm feeling now is how I've wanted games to make me feel ever since I was a child: Pure joy and satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong. Getting married, witnessing the birth of your child or landing your dream job, trumps this game a billion times. I ain't that crazy :p But within the realm of video games, nothing even comes close to Super Mario Galaxy 2.

fernoca

-PXG- said:
Some may disregard my post as nonsensical hyperbole. Fuck 'em. I never thought that a video game, of all things, could make so happy. The amount of charm and high level production in this game is unreal. What I'm feeling now is how I've wanted games to make me feel ever since I was a child: Pure joy and satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong. Getting married, witnessing the birth of your child or landing your dream job, trumps this game a billion times. I ain't that crazy :p But within the realm of video games, nothing even comes close to Super Mario Galaxy 2.

-PXG-

-not a liar-
Completely agree.

fernoca

Omiee said:
how easy is this to pick up for a 6 year old guys..? cuz im thinking of getting it as a gift for somebody.
One poster around here, forgot the name..was talking about he playing with his 4 years old daughter..and that they were switching..sometimes he was Mario, sometimes she was..and apparently they were both having fun.

Plus the game does a good job training during the first few galaxies..

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GaimeGuy said:
you're quite an asshole, you know that? :D

fn8lu0.gif

Alex

I like the Cloud power the best and I hope some later worlds make really good use out of it, I'm not really big on the drill stuff, personally. Kinda stunts the pace and that's a big thing I like about Galaxy over the other Mario 3D titles. Not worth the tradeoff for incredibly easy puzzle play.

Really fun thus far, really great month with Tri, this and Red Dead. Year is off to a great start.

I can't think of many complaints for this one. For what it's trying to do, it mostly does it really well. There's a few design short comings for my tastes and a few random shitty Galaxies I wish weren't there, but they did a great job expanding on the first game.

One thing though, I will say is that I really wish they'd pull some of the collection and currency elements into something more meaningful. Random unlocks or goodies or whatever.

The bit of exploration you can do is always kind of stunted by the fact that I don't want any more Star Bits or Coins or 1ups :lol Zelda has that problem with Rupees and Heart Containers too.

Doesn't gotta be some be thing, but incentive is always nice. It's fun to go searching.

Anyone else wishing for Super Mario Galaxy 3 for Autumn 2011?

If they do, I would really want it to be a bigger reboot, otherwise you'd really run into a lot of samey feeling stuff, even now that already pops up here and there and you can tell where the game started its life as a halfsie.

You can get infinite distance out of the Galaxy theming though, that's what's nice, but at the same time I also don't wanna just see spheres and gravity tricks forever. :lol

m.i.s.

Banned
Linkzg said:

Some comparisons with Galaxy 1: Length wise it is much shorter than the first game, like just comparing the clocks, it is somewhere between 1/3rd to 1/2th the length of Galaxy 1. Not a bad thing at all because the pacing is phenomenal. Difficulty wise, the game is considerably less difficult than the first game. I don't have a problem with it since it also means there are far less frustrating sections. Has an expansion pack feel to it, but I guess that would make it the best expansion pack ever, so that's pretty damn good.

Which do you prefer, SMG or SMG2?

Hey, why not? We had Super Mario Bros / 2 / 3 for NES. Now'd be the perfect time for another hat-trick.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm not sure why people are not "big" on the drill... I mean, it's not a power-up, it's a puzzle mechanic. "Where do I drill? Oh... I get it... THAT'S where I'm supposed to drill. Clever!" Maybe I'm just being overly defensive of Miyamoto's idea, but creative puzzles based around circular and spherical diameters seems pretty fun and praiseworthy, in my opinion.

Linkzg said:
well I pretty much take back everything I said

I guess I have a while to go
Don't tell me you thought getting to Bowser was the game? :lol

M.I.S. said:

Hey, why not? We had Super Mario Bros / 2 / 3 for NES. Now'd be the perfect time for another hat-trick.
It may end up being a case of "quit while we're ahead" -- despite how far ahead they are.

clav

Ugh it took me countless gameover screens to beat the
tree trunk slide purple coin challenge
and
fluzzard race

For the
slide
, here is a list of tips:

1. In the beginning, collect the four coins and begin riding down. Since the controls are tight unlike the Mario 64 mechanics, you cannot speed up or slow down. You must quickly adjust your joystick in the beginning to the angle of each coin as Mario moves the most sensitive in this part.

2. Follow the path as the slide twists and twirls until you see the first bed of double purple coins. Ditch the last 1-2 of the current route and go to them and then make your way back to the main route. For the basic line paths, you do not have to move Mario as much compared to the beginning.

3. The path will split into two. Follow the left side as it'll lead you directly to the second double row of purple coins after the jump. Return to the normal path after that bed.

I can usually make it up to here. The rest is what gave me so much trouble because of these broken controls. You should have around 60 coins at this point!

4. The path will start to have a few more jumps along with spikey thorn bushes. Try as best as you can to follow it with minimal movement for Mario.

5. Near the end of the slide, there will be angry wrigglers that will greet you to your doom if you crash into them. There is a trick to this although the angle of the wrigglers matters a lot. Every time I played, it was completely random. Most of the time, following the path of the purple coins in that section led to your doom.

You can either crash into the first angry wriggler, let Mario recover, and continue OR you can just guess and hope your luck without following the last part of the purple coins before the final jump.

6. The final part of the slide after the jump has 5-6 coins, so if you don't have enough before that, then might as well let Mario fall to his doom.

As for the
Fluzzard race
:

1. Hold the Wii mote controller as you would grab a paper airplane or similar to Wii Sports Resort. Forget grasping it how it shows in the tutorial. It'll save you so much trouble.

2. When flying, try to go down or straight. Do not tilt upwards as it'll cause Fluzzard to stall and brake.

3. You can cheat by tilting downwards and touching the water in the early sections of the game as it will not hurt you. However, somewhere near where the water splits, there are some death holes that will not let Fluzzard + Mario recover from a water touch. After that part though, you can touch the waterfalls in the blue cave and not get hurt.

I hope that helps some GAFers out there for those stars.

======================================================

I have a few questions for those who have completed this part of the game:

1. There's this gear dude who wants me to put a goomba in a fence he setup for a star. However, there are no goombas to be found. I can only find goomba-like enemies that shoot stones. I've tried aiming starbits and pushing these guys to the fence but it's not working. Am I doing this right?

2. Where's the secret star in Boo Moon? I have not completed the game yet. I suppose it's in the dark area in the beginning right? I can't find a secret passage way through it.

Top Bottom