• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

yanhero

As awesome as
flip-swap
galaxy was, I wish it was harder still. After playing around with it normally for the first half, I just long jumped through the entire latter half without any need to
flip
at all. Is there another similar level later on in the game? I'm only 13 stars in.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yanhero said:
As awesome as
flip-swap
galaxy was, I wish it was harder still. After playing around with it normally for the first half, I just long jumped through the entire latter half without any need to
flip
at all. Is there another similar level later on in the game? I'm only 13 stars in.
you betcha

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Loving this so far! I'm so glad they cut back on the extraneous bs that clogged the last game. It took far too long to get started in the original. The level browsing map is also 100x better. You had to click on so many things to get into levels before.

The levels themselves feel great as well. It is rare to see what amounts to a direct sequel in this series though. It's not common at all. Still, this is definitely a masterpiece.while I felt the first fell a touch short.

Bentendo

Just beat the final boss. FANTASTIC route to the battle. The whole stage was about twice as challenging as the original game's (
died so much during the Yoshi segment.
). The boss battle was also great, and I'm proud to have been able to
predict that Bowser would come back to life after "defeating" him.
. And the credits?
I LOVE CREDITS THAT YOU CAN INTERACT WITH!
, and the music in this game? Oh lawdy.

I'm on the second world (my copy isn't here yet, so I'm playing my roommates copy).

Galaxy 2 is pretty good. Pretty much what I expected after playing the first game.

Also, this game is very easy. Just like the first one. Not sure why everyone is hyping up the difficulty so much, but that's NeoGAF for ya...

Bentendo

KeeSomething said:
I'm on the second world (my copy isn't here yet, so I'm playing my roommates copy).

Galaxy 2 is pretty good. Pretty much what I expected after playing the first game.

Also, this game is very easy. Just like the first one. Not sure why everyone is hyping up the difficulty so much, but that's NeoGAF for ya...

Read the entire post and then read the first sentence again... there's your answer!

Hunahan

Banned
Finished the second world. This game keeps getting better.

It's just amazing how much creativity these guys have. Seems like there is something new around every corner.

Haunted

KeeSomething said:

What did you think of the difficulty in the later worlds?

Bentendo said:
Read the entire post and then read the first sentence again... there's your answer!
Maybe, but I was told the same thing about the first Galaxy, and it never did get challenging.

Still a fun game. The drill and Yoshi powerups are cool, and the soundtrack is just as, if not more enjoble than the first. Beautiful looking game, too.

Haunted said:
What did you think of the difficulty in the later worlds?
I said I'm only in the second world. So far, this is probably the easiest Mario game I've played.

KevinCow

Banned
Hmm. Just beat World 1, and while it's certainly fun, I'm not really feeling what I felt for the first one. I'm a bit disappointed that it seems so similar. It lacks its own identity to differentiate it from the first, which really does make it feel like an expansion pack.

Though, again, I've only just beaten World 1. This is only my initial impression.

Lamel

Banned
KevinCow said:
Hmm. Just beat World 1, and while it's certainly fun, I'm not really feeling what I felt for the first one. I'm a bit disappointed that it seems so similar. It lacks its own identity to differentiate it from the first, which really does make it feel like an expansion pack.

Though, again, I've only just beaten World 1. This is only my initial impression.

Yeah that's definitely the reason why you feel that.

Proc

Glad I bought this as early as I did. Waiting for a $10 off sale or whatever didn't seem worth it.

Mario Galaxy 2 is tons of fun so far. My Wii is getting so much action between this and Monster Hunter.

Game is brutal for kids. My 6 year old brother probably tried well over 100 times to beat (first world bonus level)
Flip Switch Galaxy
. He'd get to the very end and game over. I eventually felt bad and did the last part. Now he's getting owned by the first world boss. :lol

Alex

Damn game can be brutal period. I love it. Comets everywhere, really mean aux challenges and stars. Good show. I've noticed how ridiculously tuned some of the timed stuff and general challenges can be, very happy to see that being done. Usually way too much leeway in games for stuff like that.

You really didn't get much after you in the original Galaxy beyond comets, and this really ramps that up a bit. You can still kinda stroll through the main stars pretty easily, bout the Mario standard, but going off the road much can frustrate, in the good way!

Difficulty is gonna be person to person, but as someone who thrives on good challenge in games, playing everything on max difficulty, can steamroll most of what GAF whines about (Demons Souls, etc) It's givin' me a run for my money on a fair few things.

I felt exactly the same way for the first bit. The initial stuff is way more of a simple remix, but it'll heat up, don't sweat it.

L00P

Alright just finished the first world. The bosses so far are way trickier this time around.

And I'm really digging the 2-player co-op. It makes the game sort of easier, but my little bro is getting a kick out of it:lol

SaintZ

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I got the game. It's glorious! And hard.

Right from the start it feels more challenging than the first one and I died a couple of times during the first world. The music of the cloud level and first Bowser Jr. Galaxy is awesome :D. The only thing that I'm missing in the game is Rosalina, she was cool.

Galang

Banned
About 78 stars in, don't know if it's because platforming is not my forte at all, but a lot of the later levels really kicked my ass. :lol
Fire Shenron boss battle really took me a lot of tries to beat. Just tried the Beat Box comet run and failed miserably at the end, my hands are really tired as well. Really love that level though! I find a lot of the levels I have trouble with, I'll take a break and then beat it really fast after I give the game a rest.

This game is so awesome, can't stop being amazed! I can't imagine if I had played this game without playing SMG1, would of been too much to take in. :lol I absolutely love using the
Red Yoshi! The Sunshine level purple coin challenge was great, and I love the throwback galaxy as well. Was a bit surprised at the cloud power-up being limited, was expecting everything to be a cake-walk with the suit! Pleasantly surprised at this game challenges :D Some of the later levels must be a nightmare for more casual players I'd imagine :lol

Anyone that thinks this game is easy obvioulsy hasn't gotten to
Stone Cyclone

I'm loving the (post game spoiler!)
Green Star challenges. They start off a little slow, but quickly become "holy crap, how the hell do I get there?"
. Definitely going for all the stars.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Drill Mario is seriously the best thing about this game. I would take a whole game of just drill + gravity weirdness.

Drill Mario > any other Mario power ever.

Doorman

Didn't get to play for long today, just enough to snag a couple of stars and beat the world 4 boss.

The lukewarm approval I had from the early goings is definitely fading away in favor of more overt joy. It seems like nearly every star now has me mumbling "okay that was really cool/clever" at worst. The longer I play, the more excited I am to see what else they come up with, and that's just fine for me!

cdyhybrid

I think
Haunty Halls
is my favorite so far. Just got the
two stars
there. Love the music and the
giant Boo, Boo is my favorite Mario character
:lol

Pleased to see nearly everyone enjoying the game. I love reading your impressions as it feels sort of like playing it all over again for the first time myself; like some sort of weird reflection on my own experiences during the adventure or something. :D

This game is so a 10.

Platy

L00P said:
Alright just finished the first world. The bosses so far are way trickier this time around.

And I'm really digging the 2-player co-op. It makes the game sort of easier, but my little bro is getting a kick out of it:lol

"Sort of Easier" ????

That orange star is the most overpower powerup EVER xD

Love to go first person and let my sister "sniper" some coins/1ups hehehe

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Pseudo_Sam said:
Drill Mario is seriously the best thing about this game. I would take a whole game of just drill + gravity weirdness.

Drill Mario > any other Mario power ever.

Seriously, they could build a whole game around Drill Mario.

(In fact, I'd buy the hell out of such a game. Twice.)

Zing

Banned
I was surprised at how much more fun the game is with a second player. As long as they are reasonably skilled and can snag coins and enemies while I am running around, they make the experience more smooth. I don't need to stop running or jerk around trying to grab stray coins. They flip the goombas and I just plow through them. They grab 1ups that I couldn't be bothered with.

I'm glad Nintendo (apparently) got rid of the second player's ability to fuck with Mario. I hated how player two could affect Mario's movement in the first game.

loosus

Banned
othersteve said:
Pleased to see nearly everyone enjoying the game. I love reading your impressions as it feels sort of like playing it all over again for the first time myself; like some sort of weird reflection on my own experiences during the adventure or something. :D

This game is so a 10.
Wow.

So here's a good question... how many people didn't know about
the additional 120 stars
before reaching that point? What about the
Throwback Galaxy
?

Insanely, I was able to avoid information about both. Definitely provides a "holy hell" moment when you discover it for yourself!

Supa

Traumahound said:
Anyone that thinks this game is easy obvioulsy hasn't gotten to
Stone Cyclone

I'm loving the (post game spoiler!)
Green Star challenges. They start off a little slow, but quickly become "holy crap, how the hell do I get there?"
. Definitely going for all the stars.

So many stars, too few lives!

If you ever get stuck on stars later on, check out this Super Mario Galaxy 2 stars page. That page might be a good addition to the frontpage's spoilers section it shows how many stars there are.
241 stars total!

On a related subject, has anyone seen a wallpaper that uses the background screenshots collage shown on the Japanese Super Mario Galaxy 2 website? I'd love to have that on my desktop, but it's a flash file on that page.

fernoca

Mejilan said:
Dump loot into the bank Toad and you'll earn a tiny bit of interest over time. He'll also gift you with 1ups periodically. Dump enough star bit loot and he'll upgrade his look and equipment. I'm doing it more for shits and giggles than anything, since the returns on the investment are marginal, at best. I've got about 5000 stored with him, and he'll occasionally "find" 4 star bits, or 7 star bits. *shrugs* At this point, I'm more interested in what his next outfit will be. He's gone from a regular Toad, to a spear-wielding Toad, to a mining Toad.
Also (according to what the Banktoad says), people using different saves can exchange starbits..so Save 1 can have 5000 stored, your friend/family/etc..starts Save 2 and when the bank appears can take starbits from those 5000..

Kad5

This game is almost perfect...I can't think of any goddamn flaws in this game so far. My god this might be the best game i've ever played...

I'm at the end of World 1 and the game is awesome.

Not feeling drill Mario as much as you guys seem to be though.
I like it when it's hitting off the metal, but I wish you could control it/change directions at least.

I'm sure the drill thing gets more intense though. But it has nothing on the awesomeness that is the ice flower. I <3 that.

fireside

How the heck do you get the secret star in Honeybloom Galaxy?

Edit: Nevermind, finally got high enough off that damn rope swing

Arthrus

kirbutashi said:
Not seeing enough love for Slimey Spring Galaxy.
That ending

I made it out with literally no oxygen and one health left :lol
It was so worth it for
the sunrise!

Purple coin challenges were incredibly fun too. While I would've liked the game to be just a bit harder (personal preference for difficult games), I think the difficulty was really good overall. Now that I've got all 120 stars, I am looking forward to
finding the rest!

EDIT: Do you get anything for getting all the powerups in the engine room?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
fireside said:
How the heck do you get the secret star in Honeybloom Galaxy?

Edit: Nevermind, finally got high enough off that damn rope swing
yeah, using the spin for extra height helps a whole lot

Feep

Banned
Spoiler for Tree Trunk Galaxy:

The slide in Tree Trunk Galaxy has to be, hands down, the best slide/slalom run in the history of gaming.
What an incredible rush.

Game so far: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D / 10

Jaruru

just beaten 1st world and a few stars in the 2nd
it's absolutely stunning in every possible way. they definitely raised the difficulty from the 1st game.

com'on, 40/40 :D

I'm 38 stars in, after clearing world 3.

I haven't done any of the comet challenges yet, I'm saving those for post-game.

This game is fucking incredible.

Top Bottom