• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Nose Master

claviertekky said:
1. There's this gear dude who wants me to put a goomba in a fence he setup for a star. However, there are no goombas to be found. I can only find goomba-like enemies that shoot stones. I've tried aiming starbits and pushing these guys to the fence but it's not working. Am I doing this right?

2. Where's the secret star in Boo Moon? I have not completed the game yet. I suppose it's in the dark area in the beginning right? I can't find a secret passage way through it.

1. There's a goomba wandering around there, you musta killed it.

2. Don't remember :p

Just got 120. Sogood.
Don't know if I'm gonna bother with the other 120

Also... 2 player almost felt cheap. You can kill enemies, pick up coins, stall green disappearing platforms (hi2u
luigi's purple coins
), stop spikes, etc. Made a lot of the last stars pretty simple.

Koodo

Banned
claviertekky said:
I have a few questions for those who have completed this part of the game:

1. There's this gear dude who wants me to put a goomba in a fence he setup for a star. However, there are no goombas to be found. I can only find goomba-like enemies that shoot stones. I've tried aiming starbits and pushing these guys to the fence but it's not working. Am I doing this right?

2. Where's the secret star in Boo Moon? I have not completed the game yet. I suppose it's in the dark area in the beginning right? I can't find a secret passage way through it.
For 1,
use the Rock power-up to smash the rock pillars on that planet, a goomba is hidden in one of them.

By the way,
Boo Moo
Galaxy is absolutely insane. There was one moment that looked like a scene from the
Inception trailer
. :lol

Randy

Just listened to the OST. One thing I noticed were that a couple of songs really are similar to the OST of the One Piece anime. (Like Melty Monster Galaxy for example.)

Pretty cool vibe those songs give. Can't wait to experience them in-game.

fernoca

Lovely tips/spoiler-tagged...wall... :p
At least remove the spoiler tags of the "titles", so people can know what are they expecting to be spoilered..in the first place. XD

seady

Just started playing today and played 6-7 hours straight with about 35 stars.

Here are some thoughts:

- Just as expected, great fun, I enjoyed SMG and I enjoy this. I keep wanting to go through level after level.

- Surprisingly I don't miss the Hub at all, the map is much easier and faster to navigate, and the Mario Spaceship is done quite nicely through expansions with a little bit of exploration. But going from a big Hub to a linear map can still feel a little bit of a downgrade sometimes.

- I miss the story that ties the package together from SMG1 very much. Right now the game feels like stages after stages without a purpose. I understand earlier Mario games are like this too, but SMG raised the bar for a Mario game and this feels like a step backward.

- Stages seem to be easier (so far I am on the 4th universe) than SMG1, but they feel a lot more polished and bosses are much more creative.

- The Cloudy Court Galaxy music is so awesome! I replayed the stage several times just to listen to this piece of music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1Pl1kmnh4

Feep

Banned
I'm unnaturally talented at 3-D platformers, so I was really hoping Galaxy 2 could give me a run for my money.

62 stars in, only one has given me any real trouble thus far:
Purple Coins in Tree Trunk Slide
, which took me approximately nine lives. Not that I'm not loving this game to absolute death for its utter and unrivaled brilliance, but I hope those stars near 120 really smash my testicles against a wall.

BowieZ

Banned
seady said:
- I miss the story that ties the package together from SMG1 very much. Right now the game feels like stages after stages without a purpose. I understand earlier Mario games are like this too, but SMG raised the bar for a Mario game and this feels like a step backward.
It's the complete opposite imho. And no, I like the storybook.

yanhero

I fucking HATE
Rolling Crabber Romp
. Am I missing something? or is this just a skill-less, hope I'm turning the right direction, shit level? I also hate all the
trash
levels, I hated the ones in SMG1 too.

Other than those few levels though, everything else has been awesome.

zigg

fireside said:
No it's not.

Yes it is!

Dartastic said:
Did we ever find out what the surprise was for getting all the stars?

The final galaxy,
which is
Grandmaster Galaxy
. I'm not quiiiite there yet.

Nose Master said:
Anyone else think
Squizzard, the quicksand boss, looked like shit? Animated really awkwardly.
He's definitely this games Bouldergeist. *shudder*

I won't leap to his defense, but I do take umbrage to anything bad said about Bouldergeist. Dude's fuckin' sweet.

fireside said:
How can you guys not like Yoshi? The Yoshi beat makes every song better.

There's a ton of opportunity to leap off his back in this game, too.
Trying to get up to that extra-high area in Hightail Falls, banging into the walls, leaping off his back and spinning back to safety as he plummets to his death...
Yoshicide is alive and well :D

Rez said:
I'd put it to the side. You want to go in fresh, not burnt out, and that is very possible if you start trying to 120 Galaxy 1 days before 2.

Well, I replayed 1 this month before 2 arrived, and I am still giddily excited over the back half of 2. Something about both these games defies the traditional burn-out for me.

Mejilan said:
Dump loot into the bank Toad and you'll earn a tiny bit of interest over time. He'll also gift you with 1ups periodically. Dump enough star bit loot and he'll upgrade his look and equipment. I'm doing it more for shits and giggles than anything, since the returns on the investment are marginal, at best. I've got about 5000 stored with him, and he'll occasionally "find" 4 star bits, or 7 star bits. *shrugs* At this point, I'm more interested in what his next outfit will be. He's gone from a regular Toad, to a spear-wielding Toad, to a mining Toad.

Sadly, he doesn't change for 9,999 Bits. He just talks about how he can't hold any more. If you have 9,999 on your person, though, you'll
change coconuts to watermelons, permanently, even if you then get rid of some of them
—just like in the first game.

BowieZ said:
So are people trying to avoid the 6-life mushrooms? I felt reaching them but not taking them made SMG1 a much more enjoyably challenging experience, so I'm going to do that again this time.

I want to say they're necessary for one of the stars in the back 120, but... I forget now if that was actually the case.
You'll need to do some lava-bouncing to get some stars.
Definitely need a full life bar for some, at least.

Speaking of having to avoid getting hit... from the back 120, in
Shiverburn
, I had one hell of a time last night.
The last Cloud Flower is a little ways back from the switch that freezes the lava, and you must be Cloud Mario (to stand on a permanent cloud) and have at least two clouds to stand on (to get high enough) to get the Green Star. In-between the thin rotating platforms on the lava sphere, not being able to spin jump so I didn't waste clouds there, and the meteors that generate lava pools in the ice, I flubbed this up so many times.
Was awesome when I finally finished it! :D

yanhero said:
As awesome as
flip-swap
galaxy was, I wish it was harder still. After playing around with it normally for the first half, I just long jumped through the entire latter half without any need to
flip
at all. Is there another similar level later on in the game? I'm only 13 stars in.

Oh yes, absolutely, near the end is one that can be a bit of a doozy. And then that level's comet challenge... oh my.

-PXG- said:
Yeah, those mini-games are pretty annoying. I liked the ones where you had to
get the high score by jumping on enemies
. The
ice skating
ones are pretty fun too. The
fire flower and gliding challenges (the races with the black bird are even more obnoxious)
almost made me tear my hair out.[/spoiler]

Man, the bird races are awesome. I'm flying like a pro in those now. (Can't find
Green Star 2 in the second set, though.
) Getting the Comet Medal on the second set is particularly satisfying.

-PXG- said:
- The secret star on Boo Moon. Seriously, the last set of blocks were moving so fast. Plus, I was playing as Luigi, so it made it even harder

Luigi never gives me a problem with right turns. It's when I have to 180° that he's a nightmare.

-PXG- said:
- The Double Time comet star on Beat Block Galaxy. Holy shit that was annoying. I died SO many times trying to get the silver stars.

I loved that one. Yeah, I died a ton too. But it was great fun. Never felt it was unfair—just that I needed to do better.

-PXG- said:
- The Daredevil comet star for the boss on Slipsand Galaxy. I haven't beaten it yet, but already it's a pain in the ass.

Agreed; that's primarily the Fire Flower's fault.

claviertekky said:

Don't use the
launch star at the end of the moving blocks. Wait a second and they'll pop out again for you to take further.

Post-120:
There's a Green Star back there too, I think you need to long-jump to it... I did, at least.

Volcynika

Hopefully can take my Amazon copy back to Walmart this evening. If they don't take it, I'll be annoyed, GAF! (It's no big deal either way)

rhino4evr

Played quickly to World 3 last night...missed a bunch of stars along the way..I think my total at the moment is 17.

My initial fears of this being "too similar" to Galaxy 1 ended at the beginning of World 2.

There are some really cool ideas going on here.
Rock Mario is awesome as is Cloud Mario
Enjoyed the bird stage.
I thought the first Bowser fight was a tad bit easy (easier then the first world boss for sure), although the stage leading up to him was epic epic stuff.
I played the first (im assuming there are more then one) blue chimp challenge, and I thought it was a great addition, yet still pretty easy...I finished it on my second try.

So far the only thing that has given me any trouble is the Yoshi Pepper Stage. I have a really hard time controlling him at those speeds. I guess I just need a bit more practice.

Overall the game is starting to live up to its hype already...really looking forward to what the later stages have in store. So far all of the levels have felt like "mid" levels from the first game. There really wasn't as much "training" as there is in the first game. I would imagine playing this BEFORE playing the first game would be quite challenging.

rhino4evr

Volcynika said:
Hopefully can take my Amazon copy back to Walmart this evening. If they don't take it, I'll be annoyed, GAF! (It's no big deal either way)

as long as you kept the recepit you should be fine..just tell them you bought it for someone that already had it...and you'd like a full refund.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely feeling this more than New Super Mario Bros (which I just didn't enjoy that much).

SMG2 is possibly one of the finest games Nintendo has ever made. I love it!

rhino4evr

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yes there are and they are really cool.

awesome looking forward to it! I was playing and thought to myself...now why hasn't a 3D Mario game had something like this in the past? I miss "scoring" in these games. What a nice surprise!

Volcynika

rhino4evr said:
as long as you kept the recepit you should be fine..just tell them you bought it for someone that already had it...and you'd like a full refund.

Yeah I've got that. Some people are just saying they have some way to tell if it wasn't bought from a Walmart or something, which sounds odd, but I don't go to retail much :lol

zigg

Volcynika said:

Give your spare copy to a niece or nephew. You will be the greatest relative ever.

I am still in shock from my playthrough last night. I got 10 stars before I stopped, and I cannot believe the level of quality of this game. It's so far exceeded my expectations at only ten stars in, I feel like I'll probably explode with enjoyment by the end of this game. Wow.

"Beat" the game last night with my wife. Fantastic game, can't wait to get home after work and get me some more stars!

Is it better than the first? The level design certainly is. I'd say it probably is, but even in a few short years SMG already has dug itself so deep into my psyche that it's hard to say.

rhino4evr

Volcynika said:
Yeah I've got that. Some people are just saying they have some way to tell if it wasn't bought from a Walmart or something, which sounds odd, but I don't go to retail much :lol

No, a Barcode is a barcode. The only way they would be able to tell is if they were selling a "special exclusive edition" of the game. Which is not the case. Just read the back of the game box, if the barcode numbers match you are in the clear. Also I would remove any "Amazon Direct" stickers if they are on the box. :lol

Also it helps if you save the Walmart Price sticker from the package and place it on the unopened copy, but still that's going a little too far.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Does Super Mario Galaxy 2 also count how often you die (to show it on the level select screen when you've completed the game)?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
102 stars. I never stop playing this game by my own volition, it's either real life calling or the fact that I have to wake up early. "Hmm, only one more star...".

big_z

Norwegian Wood said:
Guys how does it look and feel on HDTV's? I haven't gotten mine yet.

playing a lot of wii games on hdtv can be jarring since they look very jaggy/blurry but galaxy 2 looks extremely good. the game almost looks HD at times and it makes you wonder how nintendo does it while so many 3rd party titles look like a mess.

55 stars in, so far so good. the game is quite hard at times, more so than i was expecting.

rhino4evr

I've been playing both this and Alan Wake at the same time..and it's an interesting contrast. Galaxy is a pure joy in the gameplay department but is lacking in presentation, while Wake is almost all presentation, a really immersive experience despite the lackluster gameplay. It's best of both worlds!

rj118

claviertekky said:

After the part where you must stay on the moving platforms (get ready once you go
upside-down, do NOT use the star to fly to the next part. There is another moving platform you can jump to.

ccbfan

Played this until 4 a.m last night after the basketball game.

Finished all I can possibly at this point for worlds 1 and 2 (at least according to the chart).

Absolutely amazing so far. The level design is insane. Even seeing just 2 worlds, I'm already more amazed with it than the entire NSMB Wii game.

Near perfect game, not even any middling issues. Just nitpicks here and there (like they talk too much or wtf with the star bit feeding)

A bit easy so far but that's probably because I 120 starred with Luigi in SMG a month ago.

speaking of which how/when can I use luigi? Even with his whack skid I was a much bigger fan of him than mario. The longer and higher jumps fit my style more since I don't really run around, I long jump around

Zing

Banned
This game definitely has the best graphics I have seen on the Wii. I don't know what they did to make things look so good, but it works. Often, the lower resolution is very apparent (aliasing), but otherwise it could be a 720p game.

Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

Rarely anything new, def not harder as some reviews put. No new game feeling like original felt, no hype, no nothing. SMG+some new worlds, thats how it feels

I am a sad panda and you guys can start your engines and start attacking me

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

Rarely anything new, def not harder as some reviews put. No new game feeling like original felt, no hype, no nothing. SMG+some new worlds, thats how it feels

This was my initial fear for this game ever since I saw the first E3 trailer. I was worried when other people started to say that it's just "Mario Galaxy 1.5"

After my time with the game last night, I can safely say that it feels almost foreign from the first Galaxy. In about the most amazing, purely fun way possible. In fact it's this aspect that I'm most amazed about.

I know people will disagree, and I know I'm only in the early stages in the game, but anybody who is worried about this needs to try the game before writing it off.

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

I played Galaxy 1 through to 120 stars and this game is definitely harder. Maybe you're just a gaming god?

WillyFive

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

Well, yeah, for a game called Super Mario Galaxy 2, we kinda expect a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy 1. And we got it!

If it helps any better, this game brings in more new stuff than most big name sequels out there.

Nabs

Lovely Salsa said:
I forgot to put, the bowser battles are not as fun and awesome as in the original IMO

Btw, I'm no gaming god, just played SMG to death

gotta disagree with this.

-PXG-

Relix said:
This game is harder and godly. If God existed this is what it would be... SMG2

Yep :D

I just got Modnation, but I don't even want to play it. I just want more Galaxy. I still have to 100% but I want a third game. Gimme 360 stars next time, more classic Mario enemies and Koopa Kids please. Thanks.

batbeg

Yes yes yes yes. After work, me and my friend plugged this into an HDTV and got our first 40 stars while taking turns on 1p and 2p. This game is fucking GODLY! Even one of my least favorite aspects from the first game, the bee suit, has a BADASS level in this.

Still dislike water levels, though. Hopefully there aren't too many.

rhino4evr

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

joke post? Of course its a SMG sequel. Its called SMG 2

:lol

I have to admit that sometimes the game can feel like Galaxy 1.5..but there is enough new content here to make me think other wise.

By the way Gears of War 2..was really just Gears of War 1.5..yet people couldnt stop gizzing on it.

Top Bottom