• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

Rarely anything new, def not harder as some reviews put. No new game feeling like original felt, no hype, no nothing. SMG+some new worlds, thats how it feels

I am a sad panda and you guys can start your engines and start attacking me

796e8a14.gif

rhino4evr said:
I have to admit that sometimes the game can feel like Galaxy 1.5..but there is enough new content here to make me think other wise.

It's so cliche on this board to call this an "expansion pack".

No, those consist of subtle added content that isn't worthy of a true new game pricetag.

I don't get what these people expected from this game; the engine has only been in one game before and it was glorious and actually, I am surprised with all the new features(powerups that all are quite worthwhile plus Yoshi rules).

Lijik

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

I know how you feel. I was expecting Nintendo to make it a Metroid Other M prequel when I saw the name "SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2"

Maybe I'll have Peach bake ME a cake for once!
:lol :lol :lol

LUIIIIIIIIIIGIIIIIIIII TAG IN YES YES YES

At about 30 stars right now.
Bowser's Lava Lair
is definitely my favorite so far, I haven't felt as in awe of a level in a long time. The design, the atmosphere, the platforming and the music all came together perfectly. And it's only World 2! I cannot wait to play this game more.

Lovely Salsa said:
Pretty disappointing

Its just a SMG 1 sequel

Rarely anything new, def not harder as some reviews put. No new game feeling like original felt, no hype, no nothing. SMG+some new worlds, thats how it feels

I am a sad panda and you guys can start your engines and start attacking me
If you read the fine print on the box, it clearly specifies under "System Requirements" that you must have a soul to fully enjoy Super Mario Galaxy 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont really understand what "Galaxy 1.5" means. I mean, the only thing I can associate with the term is some kind of negative connotation to devalue the additional content added to the game.

Looking at the title I dont see how Galaxy 2 could go under the 1.5 mantra anymore than Modern Warfare 2, Halo 2 and 3, BioShock 2, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and God of War 2 and 3.

Even upcomming games like Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3, and countless other titles across all platforms.

What does it need to do to strip the 1.5 tag? Its got tons and tons of new art assets, heaps of new ideas in the forms of power-ups and puzzles, new environment puzzles, a new map selection, and even more game content than the first.

Of course its going to share similar, if not identical, fundamentals to the first Galaxy. Its a straight sequel. Its going to be set in space, Mario is going to control the same, you'll still collect stars, and the basic gameplay will be about platforming.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I just dont see how this is any different to any other game out there. Why is Modern Warfare 2 any different when the gameplay fundamentals are identical to the previous entry? Why will Killzone 3 be any different?

I checked my preorder yesterday afternoon, and it was displayed as "Backordered". This displeased me tremendously, so I went and popped in SMG. Turns out I had stopped at 117 stars after being annoyed by dreadnought trashbombing. So I finally went and unlocked
Mr. L
last night, just before going to bed.

This morning, the order shipped. Coincidence? Feh, obviously I was being punished for not finishing the game and am now being rewarded with clouds and drills.

Just in case, I think I'm going to do the full second run through to avoid further calamity.

rhino4evr

EatChildren said:
I dont really understand what "Galaxy 1.5" means. I mean, the only thing I can associate with the term is some kind of negative connotation to devalue the additional content added to the game.

Looking at the title I dont see how Galaxy 2 could go under the 1.5 mantra anymore than Modern Warfare 2, Halo 2 and 3, BioShock 2, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and God of War 2 and 3.

Even upcomming games like Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3, and countless other titles across all platforms.

What does it need to do to strip the 1.5 tag? Its got tons and tons of new art assets, heaps of new ideas in the forms of power-ups and puzzles, new environment puzzles, a new map selection, and even more game content than the first.

Of course its going to share similar, if not identical, fundamentals to the first Galaxy. Its a straight sequel. Its going to be set in space, Mario is going to control the same, you'll still collect stars, and the basic gameplay will be about platforming.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I just dont see how this is any different to any other game out there. Why is Modern Warfare 2 any different when the gameplay fundamentals are identical to the previous entry? Why will Killzone 3 be any different?

this is absolutely correct...but in all fairness I would say that the first World had a few stars let felt like I had already played this before..but that soon changed when I got to World 2.

I dont get the difficulty thing...the bosses seem much more difficult then in Galaxy 1..the Bowser fight may be an exception.

Vinci

Danish
EatChildren said:

Because many gamers are giant, immature dumbasses?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Dr. Strangelove said:
I should have this waiting at home for me today. FUCK YEAH.

I pre-ordered from Amazon, checked free shipping and thought a few extra days wait wouldn’t be a big deal. It’s now showing an expected arrival on June 1st. They must be playing it, it’s the only explanation.

kaskade

Ordered the game on Amazon today. I have gotten games in a day using Prime depending on when it ships. I'm in no rush though, I'm still going through Red Dead. Can't wait to actually get some more use out of my Wii.

Eric C

I got this yesterday and I'm already almost done with world 2. This game is really really great, I don't want it to end. I'm going to TRY and slow down, I want this experience to last weeks, not days.

I haven't been bored with any of the levels so far, which is great because some of the early levels in SMG1 bored me.

The cloud suit is my favorite new power up.

Cosmic Cove Galaxy
I was really disappointed to find out there was no ice flower in SMG2. I wanted to wall jump up frozen waterfalls again. So I was really surprised to find myself wall jumping up frozen waterfalls again!

The second star. For some reason the 2D swimming part really reminded me of Ecco on the Genesis. Then, the last part of the level with the floating water reminded me of Ecco 2 Tides of Time.

Lijik

Ericsc said:
The second star. For some reason the 2D swimming part really reminded me of Ecco on the Genesis. Then, the last part of the level with the floating water reminded me of Ecco 2 Tides of Time.
Maybe it was because I've never played Ecco, but that star gave me more of a Jungle Beat vibe

fernoca

Jokergrin said:
Anyone else find that the keep making clouds by accident when trying to spin and hit enemies as usual?
Because you can't?
As far as I know, you can't spin while having the 3 little clouds or it will make a bigger cloud...

Eric C

Lijik said:
Maybe it was because I've never played Ecco, but that star gave me more of a Jungle Beat vibe

I've never played Jungle Beat, I've heard the GC version with the drums is better so I never picked up the Wii version.

Lijik

Ericsc said:
I've never played Jungle Beat, I've heard the GC version with the drums is better so I never picked up the Wii version.
I would really recommend picking up the GC and drums sometime. I don't think its the greatest game in the world, but you can see the birthplace of a lot of gameplay and visual concepts from the two galaxy games which is pretty neat.

zigg

Jokergrin said:
Anyone else find that the keep making clouds by accident when trying to spin and hit enemies as usual?

Yep, you can't spin without making a cloud if you have them.

(This is used as a challenge mechanic later on, actually.)

EzLink

Banned
You know, I'm actually kinda glad my wii is in the shop and I'll have to wait another week or two to play this. After seeing how so many of you have already beaten it, I'm glad I still have the entire thing to look forward to

Here's a question for you all. Super Mario 64 is without question my favorite Mario game ever. I was really, really hoping Galaxy 1 would surpass it, but it didn't. In fact, I would even say that not only was it in second place, but a rather distant second. I thought the first Galaxy was great, but I didn't quite feel that it lived up to the insane praise it got.

So, is there anybody here who felt that way about the first one but is liking the sequel more than SM64? I know this is all very subjective, but its been so long since I've felt the sheer ecstasy that I had my first playthrough of SM64 and if there is a chance I might feel that again with this game, then I will go to sleep as a happy man tonight

also maybe weed will go a long way in helping me capture those feelings too, something i didn't have playing through galaxy 1

EzLink said:
You know, I'm actually kinda glad my wii is in the shop and I'll have to wait another week or two to play this. After seeing how so many of you have already beaten it, I'm glad I still have the entire thing to look forward to

Here's a question for you all. Super Mario 64 is without question my favorite Mario game ever. I was really, really hoping Galaxy 1 would surpass it, but it didn't. In fact, I would even say that not only was it in second place, but a rather distant second. I thought the first Galaxy was great, but I didn't quite feel that it lived up to the insane praise it got.

So, is there anybody here who felt that way about the first one but is liking the sequel more than SM64? I know this is all very subjective, but its been so long since I've felt the sheer ecstasy that I had my first playthrough of SM64 and if there is a chance I might feel that again with this game, then I will go to sleep as a happy man tonight

also maybe weed will go a long way in helping me capture those feelings too, something i didn't have playing through galaxy 1
Dude

Yes.

EzLink,

The only advice I can personally provide is to avoid as much information as possible about what's actually in the game before getting it and playing it (if you haven't already spoiled it for yourself). There's some stuff in there that's definitely not worth spoiling IMO! It's just my personal take that the game is that much better when you do not know what to expect.

The amount of overhype this game is getting is ridiculous! Here are my impressions after the 5th World:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fun, but shallow. The game keeps introducing new ideas, and doesn't do much to expand on them. Now, these are great ideas, but they come off as cheap because the levels are extremely short, and they are pulled together by these puzzles and ideas. Most of the time, I complete the stint expecting more to be done with the idea, but the level ends, and I end up thinking "That's it?"

An example of this is having to clear and create a path for a Chomp to follow so you can get it to drop in a hole. It's a very basic path, but the idea is really cool, and you expect that after this "tutorial" stint of the level, you'll start the real meat of the level that expands on this idea. That never happens, and the level just ends. Then another level comes in, introduces a cool new idea, but that idea never gets expanded on before the level ends. And that idea is soon forgotten to introduce a new idea.

The drill powerup is the exception, and it's too bad that the levels are so short. I wish all the drill levels were rolled up into one massive level! Great idea, and I can say that it's been used very well so far.

But so far, Super Mario Galaxy 2 just feels like really shallow, forgettable fun. While I admit that the first Galaxy isn't my favorite game, I found it much more meaty and complete than this game at this point in the adventure. Galaxy 2 is high in quantity; there really are a lot of creative ideas going on, but since they are rarely expanded upon passed a very basic level, I can't say that it's high quality. It certainly is not a 10/10 game for me.

NOTE: I don't hate this SMG2, and I'm not saying it's bad. But it gets enough praise as it is, and I just don't agree that it's a perfect game.

Cygnus X-1

Wow. Read last few pages and this is beyond universal acclaim. I really wish this will become the best rated game of all times. It is time. Screw NOE, but anyhow I preordered the game with a T-Shirt as a bonus. :D

So far for me, I'm enjoying the shorter levels as they remind me of the older 2D Mario games. I'm not saying whether or not this is better than longer 3D levels, but I am enjoying the pace. On average, each level has taken around 10 minutes for me, some longer, some shorter.

The_Technomancer said:
I texted him at school, asking if I could play, and his answer was "bro, i will fuckin slit your throat if you even open the packaging..."
:lol Maybe it's better to wait then.
It's really not though

fernoca

I remember the "create a path for a Chomp to follow so you can get it to drop in a hole" being longer than you described..I swear that after making one follow you, you had to make a gold one follow you..so there's 2 chomps...plus the ones wit hthe trash robots....there was also a Bob-Omb ..a Goomba...in other areas.

Can someone tell me what is up with the Luigi
ghosts. In some levels it is a masterful speed run, in others I see the ghost simply run to the comet coin. The ghost cant travel through pipes and stuff. I don't get it. I thought it was supposed to be a speed run of the level that you could race against.

SYNTAX182

EatChildren said:

Most gamers think that graphical upgrade=legitimate sequel. Victims of marketing I tell you.

Hobbun

zigg said:
I won't leap to his defense, but I do take umbrage to anything bad said about Bouldergeist. Dude's fuckin' sweet.

Sorry zigg, guess you’ll have to take umbrage with me, then. Right now Bouldergeist (SMG1) is definitely on my bad side. I have fought him…hell, lost count now… in Daredevil Comet mode. Don’t think I will ever get him. :(

GregLombardi said:
I played Galaxy 1 through to 120 stars and this game is definitely harder. Maybe you're just a gaming god?

Ugh, this doesn’t bode well for me.

fernoca said:
I remember the "create a path for a Chomp to follow so you can get it to drop in a hole" being longer than you described..I swear that after making one follow you, you had to make a gold one follow you..so there's 2 chomps...plus the ones wit hthe trash robots....there was also a Bob-Omb ..a Goomba...in other areas.
Really? I must not have gotten to those areas yet. Looks like I have some more to look forward too!

KeeSomething said:
The amount of overhype this game is getting is ridiculous!
Is it possible that the reason it's receiving such hype is that it deserves it?

It isn't expected for everyone to agree on a game's appeal. However, it's best to keep in mind that you are a rare detractor amongst what appears to be an enormous crowd of protagonists. :)

And you are welcome to your opinion! But just keep in mind that it is, indeed, an apparently rare one.

I "finished" Mario Galaxy (1) today, beating you know who! I'm only...I think 64 stars in and already fear the other ones. :lol So far I played without dying too often but it was enormous fun! I guess it's going to get brutal now? There was one thing I tried (beating the rock ghost with 1 health) but I gave up after my first death and I'm not so sure if I'll try again. :lol

[Nintex]

KeeSomething said:
NOTE: I don't hate this SMG2, and I'm not saying it's bad. But it gets enough praise as it is, and I just don't agree that it's a perfect game.
I remember from my limited playtime with the game that the second star challenge is longer than the first in almost every level.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The_Technomancer said:
I texted him at school, asking if I could play, and his answer was "bro, i will fuckin slit your throat if you even open the packaging..."

He's your younger brother.

You're supposed to beat him up, not the other way around.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SYNTAX182 said:
Most gamers think that graphical upgrade=legitimate sequel. Victims of marketing I tell you.
That's not really fair.

The Mario series has a history of making radical changes to itself with each sequel.

Up until the Wii, only one sequel had been made in the same mold as a prequel. SMB2 for the Famicom was a direct sequel to SMB, but in the US, this was not the case originally (SMB2 in Japan was released as The Lost Levels).

SMB1 was completely different from SMB2 (US) which was different from SMB3. Then you had Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 which were completely unique games that had little to do with each other or previous Mario games. Same can be said of the Gameboy titles which were all different to the point that they could have been from different series.

Once N64 hit we had Mario 64, which was obviously new and different, and the same occurred once again with Mario Sunshine.

All of those mainline Mario games were wholly unique entries in the series.

Now, with the Wii, we had both New Super Mario Bros and Mario Galaxy 2 which look and feel very familiar. NSMB was created in the mold of the DS game while Mario Galaxy 2 is a direct sequel to Mario Galaxy.

I don't believe this is a bad thing at all, honestly, as those were great games...but it definitely isn't the norm for this series. It's unprecedented!

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fun, but shallow. The game keeps introducing new ideas, and doesn't do much to expand on them. Now, these are great ideas, but they come off as cheap because the levels are extremely short, and they are pulled together by these puzzles and ideas. Most of the time, I complete the stint expecting more to be done with the idea, but the level ends, and I end up thinking "That's it?"
While I understand what you mean, I actually feel this is very impressive. To execute so many ideas so perfectly over the course of a game is not an easy task. Most developers don't even TRY to implement so many unique levels into a game. I would certainly have loved to see them take some of their ideas further, but at the same time, I also appreciate the fact that there ARE so many different great ideas in there.

Job well done by Nintendo.

Hobbun

DieNgamers said:
I "finished" Mario Galaxy (1) today, beating you know who! I'm only...I think 64 stars in and already fear the other ones. :lol So far I played without dying too often but it was enormous fun! I guess it's going to get brutal now? There was one thing I tried (beating the rock ghost with 1 health) but I gave up after my first death and I'm not so sure if I'll try again. :lol

Bouldergeist? Monster throws rocks at you? Yeah, he’s a bitch in Daredevil mode. At least for me.

Top Bottom