• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Jrmint

Holy crap at purple coins star in FlipSwap galaxy. I gave it about 10 tries so far, and got halfway through the section with the Banzai Bills, but it definitely seems that is going to be 1 of the hardest stars in the game.

I thought maybe they'd not do the Banzai Bills in it, but I was mistaken. If they took them out, or got rid of the time limit it would be manageable, but right now it is pretty frustrating, and even if I completed it, I don't know if I'll make the time.

Have you guys beaten this level?

Speevy

Banned
I like Spring Mario, because the unpredictability of the jumps is your tradeoff for height.

Sure, everyone probably wanted Frog Mario, but what can you do?

pakkit

Banned
Spring Mario is one of my favorite suits.

So disappointments/criticisms:

- I was hoping we'd see some crossover from NSMBWii with some neat Club Mario pro runs, but instead we have these weird Luigi ghosts which...don't do much of anything.

- The one thing I've wanted ever since I heard about the Galaxy theme was large planets where the camera goes behind the back ala Mario 64 and you only slowly realize that you're on a huge planet as the horizon slowly curves. I understand Nintendo's (better in the long run) bite-sized pacing, but the planetoids and constant movement never really allow the game to settle. This, like Galaxy 1, is one Mario game where slowing down and really exploring the environments is not expected, and for the most part, not rewarded. Even bonus stars/comet medals are pretty easy to find.

- This game is a Jack-of-All-Trades. It has to be one of the most varied platformers I've ever played. Consider this: most platformers have a central core gimmick that is slowly built upon throughout the game. This game throws a new gimmick at you every 10 or so minutes. In this way, I understand Kee's criticisms regarding the power-ups. There are some power-ups that are barely used (Spring Mario, slowing time), and some neat mechanics (bomb-ghosts, gravity beams) that were in the first game aren't revived for this sequel. Simply, I want more. If this is Galaxy 1.5, I want Galaxy 2.5 right now.

- This game is more complicated than Galaxy, but I don't think it's as difficult. This is a compliment as well as a criticism. Galaxy for the most party was uniformly easy, and then it had 5 or so stand-out nail-bitingly tough stars. I went for 120 in that game and my progress grinded to a halt because of a handful of stars. Galaxy 2 has instead progressively gotten more and more difficult, but never really forced me to put the controller down in the way Galaxy 1 did.

jrricky

Banned
So I'm on a full completion quest for Galaxy 1 this week before I recieve Galaxy 2 this Friday, and brings back so many awesome memories, plus I've found some secret stuff this time around. :)

And the metacritic is at 98! :O

Skel said:
Holy crap at purple coins star in FlipSwap galaxy. I gave it about 10 tries so far, and got halfway through the section with the Banzai Bills, but it definitely seems that is going to be 1 of the hardest stars in the game.

I thought maybe they'd not do the Banzai Bills in it, but I was mistaken. If they took them out, or got rid of the time limit it would be manageable, but right now it is pretty frustrating, and even if I completed it, I don't know if I'll make the time.

I beat it last night. Took maybe 5 tries, but it's not that tough. I found that the key, like with Luigi's Purple Coins in SMG1, is to be slow and methodical. Don't race through with long jumps, take each little bit at a time and plan each jump, and be careful. Even if you take it slow and steady you should have enough time.

Oh, and remember that the section with the Chomps has panels that are basically there just so you can wait while the Chomps go by. Use them.

This chap seems to have the technique, more or less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1z6ZOvrQEs

BowieZ

Banned
I'm not sure if everyone is aware but I thought I should pass along a couple of tips I've read about:

- To skip text, hold down A. Should make the experience a bit zippier for those not so interested in reading/chatting/story

- To stop Rock Mario in mid-bowl, jump with A then press Z to 'ground pound' to a halt.

InsaneZero said:
I really didn't think much of the
Green Stars until I had to get one from Bowser Jr's Fiery Flotilla. I saw that Green Star on top of the tower, and I thought that there was some special way to get up there without going through the lava.

There is.

But there have definitely been other
green stars
where I've chosen to
just bounce through the lava

Mandoric

Banned
Chris1964 said:
8,84m (and counting) are relatively disappointing? Every Nintendo title can't be a 20m+ seller.

Relatively compared to the 20m+ sellers, yeah. :lol It doesn't matter if you're comparing 8 copies to 20 or 8 million to 20 million, if you think your product was never quite the breakout it could have been then it's not a very good idea to imply that the followup needs you to have the first one.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
rhino4evr said:
By the way Gears of War 2..was really just Gears of War 1.5..yet people couldnt stop gizzing on it.

Eh...although I hear comparisons being made about stuff like Gears, or Uncharted, or God of War, or Halo or whatever, in fairness, the problem in this situation is that people have come to expect (for better or worse) Nintendo sequels, especially big games to be a bit more distinguishing when it comes to things like graphics and such.

Jrmint

goldenenergy said:
I beat it last night. Took maybe 5 tries, but it's not that tough. I found that the key, like with Luigi's Purple Coins in SMG1, is to be slow and methodical. Don't race through with long jumps, take each little bit at a time and plan each jump, and be careful. Even if you take it slow and steady you should have enough time.

Oh, and remember that the section with the Chomps has panels that are basically there just so you can wait while the Chomps go by. Use them.

This chap seems to have the technique, more or less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1z6ZOvrQEs
FUCK YEA BEAT IT!!! :D :D :D

You're right, I just took my time, and had about 30 seconds left to beat it. On the 2nd to last platform I just barely made the jump, he had to pull himself up, I got so nervous haha.

The part with the chomps or whatever speeds it up, because the coins are more plentiful at that point.

Barney

Neo Member
Just got my copy. I've a question about the wii and I didn't know where to ask. How can I connect the wii to my home theater system?

I'm using the optical cable to connect my xbox, but the wii doesn't have an optical port or something like that.

AniHawk

Barney said:
Just got my copy. I've a question about the wii and I didn't know where to ask. How can I connect the wii to my home theater system?

I'm using the optical cable to connect my xbox, but the wii doesn't have an optical port or something like that.
First, patch the cracks in the slab using a latex patching compound and a patching trowel. Now, do you have extruded poly-vinyl foam insulation?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Barney said:

You just…. put the colored plugs in the corresponding……wait are you fucking with me?

Mandoric

Banned
Barney said:

Wii only outputs Dolby Pro Logic (if the game uses it), not digital. Use the standard cables and set the receiver to Pro Logic mode.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/connectivity/game-console/wii-gamecube.html

Jasoco said:
Just did Slimey Spring. With all the complaining you guys were doing, I was expecting something hard. That was easier than any level I've done, and had an amazing ending to boot.

This. People don't like that level? The ending was beautiful, like
getting out of the sea after a long swim underwater and emerging into a perfect sunset.

wsippel

Banned
Barney said:

You use cinch. If your home theater system supports DPLII, you'll get matrix encoded surround sound. If it doesn't, it's stereo only.

JRW

BowieZ said:
I'm not sure if everyone is aware but I thought I should pass along a couple of tips I've read about:

- To skip text, hold down A. Should make the experience a bit zippier for those not so interested in reading/chatting/story

- To stop Rock Mario in mid-bowl, jump with A then press Z to 'ground pound' to a halt.

Thanks I just rolled off a cliff to my death because I didnt know to stop myself lol.

pakkit said:
- The one thing I've wanted ever since I heard about the Galaxy theme was large planets where the camera goes behind the back ala Mario 64 and you only slowly realize that you're on a huge planet as the horizon slowly curves. I understand Nintendo's (better in the long run) bite-sized pacing, but the planetoids and constant movement never really allow the game to settle. This, like Galaxy 1, is one Mario game where slowing down and really exploring the environments is not expected, and for the most part, not rewarded. Even bonus stars/comet medals are pretty easy to find.
I know most probably won't like this idea, but I think it would be neat if each "world" had a rather large hub level, with short linear challenges branching out. Like Sly 2. This way exploration and linear action levels can both be present.

BowieZ

Banned
Fantastical said:
MSNBC just gave it an 8/10, apparently.
I can't see this anywhere. But if that's true, that score seems a bit... err... transparent?

mjc said:
I'm now fully convinced that Spring Mario has the worst controls of anything I've played in Mario. The charged jump only seems to work when it wants to and its making me want to pull my hair out. Fucking bullshit.
Huh? I've never had a problem with Spring Mario. You hold down A when you're hitting the ground. Easy.

I love the sense of scale you get on the
sand slide in Squizzard's Sandy Sinkhole (Slipsand Galaxy).
It's cool how it looks so huge as you fly towards it, and then as you ride down it
narrows and narrows and narrows until it's just a trickle of sand,
and when you finally land you can look up at the huge pyramid you started at, and it just seems so small and so far away. SO AWESOME :D

vazel

Banned
Got the game today. Did the first game never happen? The story acts that way. This game feels almost like a remake. Having loads of fun.

camineet

Banned
I f'ing GOT IT, Wooo Hooo.

You don'y wanna know the shit I had to go through to get my copy at GS. Two Taxi rides in Miami (dont ask how much i payed) a city i know nothing about (direction wise).. buti'm home and I have the game of the forever :D

BowieZ

Banned
vazel said:
Got the game today. Did the first game never happen? The story acts that way. This game feels almost like a remake. Having loads of fun.
This game simply doesn't address whether SMG1 ever happened. I think Miyamoto was making a statement.

fernoca

Story wise..I could be wrong..
But didn't' the characters all forgot about what happened at the ending of the first game?

With the whole sacrifice thing from the stars, the Mario-like birth thing, Bowser waking up not remembering anything......and then they all waking up to the newly formed galaxies..

Mandoric said:
Relatively compared to the 20m+ sellers, yeah. :lol It doesn't matter if you're comparing 8 copies to 20 or 8 million to 20 million, if you think your product was never quite the breakout it could have been then it's not a very good idea to imply that the followup needs you to have the first one.
But when did Nintendo actually said that they were disappointed?
Galaxy was released a year prior to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so they had nothing to compare to..neither were expecting..

Heck, I remember reading about them expecting to outsell Sunshine..which they did...

I don't get the flip flap purple coin difficulty that some people are having. I got it on my first try, I thought it was really easy.

The speed run on the giant planet, now THAT was difficult

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Skel said:

Took me a few tries, but eventually I finished it with 47 seconds remaining.

Hint: Don't bother with flipping the tiles unless you have to. The long jump is sufficient for crossing most of the gaps in the tiles.

BowieZ said:
This game simply doesn't address whether SMG1 ever happened. I think Miyamoto was making a statement.
The statement he made is fine by me if that means 100% focus on fun. Which is what this game is.

vazel

Banned
My friend just started a new game and at the beginning it does say it's a new story that also begins with stardust. So this game is a new continuity.

Bentendo

Skel said:

I just beat the level. It took me about 10 times! It's definitely NOT the hardest prankster comet though. Just wait later on...

Bentendo

Lovely Salsa said:
I don't get the flip flap purple coin difficulty that some people are having. I got it on my first try, I thought it was really easy.

The speed run on the giant planet, now THAT was difficult

Which stage? Just curious...

This game really picks up starting with the 5th world. Before that, as I mentioned (refer back to that post if you're interested), I felt the levels were shallow because they introduced creative ideas, but didn't expand on them.

That is not the case with World 5 and 6. I went from being completely disappointed in this game to really enjoying it. I don't wanna spoil (or overhype) those two worlds, but they are much better and feel more complete than the worlds before them.

fernoca

Yeah..just checked again and it seems to imply that it was all reset at the end..of the first game...

The crying baby..meaning the birth of new stars..Rosalina talking about the cycle of stars saying then turning into stardust which in turn become new galaxies..and that's the cycle of life and the it never repeats in the same way and "You'll see"..
Then Mario ,Peach, and Bowser all waking up in the ground looking at each other..clueless..and Rosalina is heard saying:
Yes..All new life...
Carries the essence of stars..
Even all of you
Then Mario says...
Welcome..Welcome all new galaxies
So that may be why they all act as if the first one never happened..

And sorry if this is a big spoiler for those playing the first game right now.. :p

Top Bottom