• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

zigg

Hobbun said:
Sorry zigg, guess you’ll have to take umbrage with me, then. Right now Bouldergeist (SMG1) is definitely on my bad side. I have fought him…hell, lost count now… in Daredevil Comet mode. Don’t think I will ever get him. :(

I do remember dying a lot that first time, yeah. Now he's cake to me though.

I think he's probably the best boss concept in that game.

Yeef said:
Just played
Beat Block Galaxy
in world 3. Such a terrific concept. Very, very cool.

That was an awesome one. Honestly, in this game I find myself saying "man, this level rules" so many times while playing this game that my Wife gets irritated. Not that she doesn't feel the same way, but she doesn't feel the need to repeat it relentlessly. :lol

I love this game.

Wow, I feel I've been amazingly thorough with the stars in this game. I am at the beginning of World 5 and have mostly every star (Prankster and hidden) up to this point with the exception of three Pranskters which haven't "revealed" themselves yet.

I am having a blast with this game but as Mario games go for me, I want them to last forever.

One thing that isn't sitting well with me however are the Bowser fights, they are just ok and I'm not sure why I feel this way about them yet......most of the other bosses however are very awesome indeed :)

Christopher

Do you think they'll make a Super Mario Galaxy 3?

First console since NES to have 3 Mario sequels??

I get what others are saying that usually a Mario game has some great new idea/concept, but I kinda wanted a "more" with Mario Galaxy.

What theme do you think they can go with on the next Mario Game? They did the beach and space now...

SYNTAX182

dark10x said:
That's not really fair.

The Mario series has a history of making radical changes to itself with each sequel.

Up until the Wii, only one sequel had been made in the same mold as a prequel. SMB2 for the Famicom was a direct sequel to SMB, but in the US, this was not the case originally (SMB2 in Japan was released as The Lost Levels).

SMB1 was completely different from SMB2 (US) which was different from SMB3. Then you had Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 which were completely unique games that had little to do with each other or previous Mario games. Same can be said of the Gameboy titles which were all different to the point that they could have been from different series.

Once N64 hit we had Mario 64, which was obviously new and different, and the same occurred once again with Mario Sunshine.

All of those mainline Mario games were wholly unique entries in the series.

Now, with the Wii, we had both New Super Mario Bros and Mario Galaxy 2 which look and feel very familiar. NSMB was created in the mold of the DS game while Mario Galaxy 2 is a direct sequel to Mario Galaxy.

I don't believe this is a bad thing at all, honestly, as those were great games...but it definitely isn't the norm for this series. It's unprecedented!

While I understand what you mean, I actually feel this is very impressive. To execute so many ideas so perfectly over the course of a game is not an easy task. Most developers don't even TRY to implement so many unique levels into a game. I would certainly have loved to see them take some of their ideas further, but at the same time, I also appreciate the fact that there ARE so many different great ideas in there.

Job well done by Nintendo.

Yes, I know, but the previous games had different graphics and art styles, which could be perceived easier as a legitimate sequel because of that. Now we have two games that are technically the same graphics wise, which is why most gamers can't differentiate and call it a sequel because graphically they are the same even though the content in the game is different.

Oli

Just received the game from Amazon, SO GOOD! I really hope Nintendo releases the soundtrack for this one, Club Nintendo or otherwise.

zigg

Hobbun said:
Well, what’s the trick then? Because I’ve died about that first 20+ times. :lol

Staying fairly close to him seems to do the trick. Keep running in circles while he throws rocks until they've all landed, then grab the Bomb Boo and swing it into him (bonus points if you can grab two at once!) If he has hands, swing it when his hands are up (they usually are post-rock-phase.) When he throws up the big spikes, dodge and break the two closest to him with one spin. When he punches or smashes, dodge.

That's about it :)

othersteve said:
God, I hope so, but I also sincerely doubt it...

On a related note, seriously, where else can Mario go from here?
I think they could expand on the powerups a bit more, and make the levels more open and longer.

Or maybe to a Mario & luigi type thing where you control two characters at once to pull of complicated platforming moves (but don't overdue it; level design should make platformers more complex, not the moveset).

fernoca

SYNTAX182 said:
Yes, I know, but the previous games had different graphics and art styles, which could be perceived easier as a legitimate sequel because of that. Now we have two games that are technically the same graphics wise, which is why most gamers can't differentiate and call it a sequel because graphically they are the same even though the content in the game is different.
Keep in mind that "the real sequel" to the original Super Mario Bros. (Super Mario Bros. 2 released as The Lost Levels in US), was basically the same game ..but harder...so any perception solely based on the visuals, seems ignorant...even when it comes to Mario games.

If that was the case, where were this same people talking about Uncharted 1.5, Gears of Wars 1.5..and so on..

Hobbun

zigg said:
Staying fairly close to him seems to do the trick. Keep running in circles while he throws rocks until they've all landed, then grab the Bomb Boo and swing it into him (bonus points if you can grab two at once!) If he has hands, swing it when his hands are up (they usually are post-rock-phase.) When he throws up the big spikes, dodge and break the two closest to him with one spin. When he punches or smashes, dodge.

That's about it :)

Hmm, ok. Most of which I’ve tried, with the exception of staying close to him. I would think it would make it more difficult to dodge the rock spikes, thrown rocks or if he tried to punch you since you are close.

Also, I usually don’t wait until his hands are up to swing the Boos and end up temporarily destroying the hands. Maybe I will wait from now on (until when he throws his hands up).

Thanks.

zigg

Hobbun said:
Also, I usually don’t wait until his hands are up to swing the Boos and end up temporarily destroying the hands. Maybe I will wait from now on (until when he throws his hands up).

Yeah, I found it was pretty much a waste of time to destroy the hands. The faster you can take him down, the better.

KeeSomething said:
I think they could expand on the powerups a bit more, and make the levels more open and longer.

Or maybe to a Mario & luigi type thing where you control two characters at once to pull of complicated platforming moves (but don't overdue it; level design should make platformers more complex, not the moveset).
Yeah, not a bad idea at all. I suppose they could go for scope next time.

I rather liked the linearity of the 3-D environments in Galaxy 1 & 2, primarily because it sidesteps the common frustrations with disorientation and confusion about where to go next and where you've been. But at the same time, I suppose if it was done well, it'd be quite cool to see an "updated" version of the 64 + Sunshine formula instead. It's a different feel, that's for sure.

I just hope they make another one. And dammit, Zelda Wii 2 had better feature an orchestral score. By Yokota, no less.

Lyude77

othersteve said:
God, I hope so, but I also sincerely doubt it...

On a related note, seriously, where else can Mario go from here?
Most of the ideas I've seen so far think the game will use time as the central theme. I can't think of a good way to do that other than a Braid-ish kind of game which I wouldn't want from Mario. I guess they could have a Zelda like dark/light versions of levels, or maybe make Mario and Bowser really small, or something. Hm...all of my ideas are kind of lame, I guess I'll just hope Nintendo comes up with something good. :D

I ordered through Amazon, so I still have a bit to wait til it comes in. I'll be glad to relax for a while.

Christopher said:
Do you think they'll make a Super Mario Galaxy 3?

First console since NES to have 3 Mario sequels??

I get what others are saying that usually a Mario game has some great new idea/concept, but I kinda wanted a "more" with Mario Galaxy.

What theme do you think they can go with on the next Mario Game? They did the beach and space now...

Why not count NSMB wii??

Its a Mario platfromer.

SMB --> Mario Galaxy
SMB 2 --> New Super Mario Bros Wii
SMB 3 --> Mario Galaxy 2

SYNTAX182

fernoca said:
Keep in mind that "the real sequel" to the original Super Mario Bros. (Super Mario Bros. 2 released as The Lost Levels in US), was basically the same game ..but harder...so any perception solely based on the visuals, seems ignorant...even when it comes to Mario games.

If that was the case, where were this same people talking about Uncharted 1.5, Gears of Wars 1.5..and so on..

This happened to Halo 2 and 3 if I remember correctly. And, yes, I agree that it is ignorant to view a game as a 1.5/not a true sequel solely based on visuals, and that's what I was pointing out. Some gamers/consumers can look at the game and because they look at it and the visuals are technically the same can come to the conclusion that it's just an update because of the visuals. Some gamers are victims to graphical upgrade=legitimate sequel.

clav

Galaxy 3 for Wii 2? It would make a great launch title.

Thanks for the answers for the questions I had earlier.

Cygnus X-1

DieNgamers said:
I "finished" Mario Galaxy (1) today, beating you know who! I'm only...I think 64 stars in and already fear the other ones. :lol So far I played without dying too often but it was enormous fun! I guess it's going to get brutal now? There was one thing I tried (beating the rock ghost with 1 health) but I gave up after my first death and I'm not so sure if I'll try again. :lol

That's not impossible. Just keep trying. Better not stay too much fixed on a certain position.

Eteric Rice

Lyude77 said:
Most of the ideas I've seen so far think the game will use time as the central theme. I can't think of a good way to do that other than a Braid-ish kind of game which I wouldn't want from Mario. I guess they could have a Zelda like dark/light versions of levels, or maybe make Mario and Bowser really small, or something. Hm...all of my ideas are kind of lame, I guess I'll just hope Nintendo comes up with something good. :D

Super Mario Universe? Explore alternate universes and meet and play different versions of Mario (Retro, Super Mario World, Mario 64 version, etc). Could be neat.

Or maybe Mario can go subatomic, jumping from quark to quark. :D

I am 50 stars in, world 4 and loving this game. Comets are now all over the place, I have Luigi showing up on many galaxies as well. The comet missions range from brand new objectives to simple things like kill a certain amount of enemies in a short time. The boss fights where you cant take damage are back but so far I only did one. One boss fight had a timer as a comet mission, they gave way too much time for that. No collect 100 purple coins in a giant level yet, so far the only purple coins I have seen was on hard focused platforming levels like the Luigi's purple coins mission.

The variety is extremely impressive with some new gameplay hook for each new level. There are some stand outs and some meh levels too. Above all my biggest issue is that it still feels way too easy. There are stars where you do a really simple objective that lasts a minute, I feel like that some are filler. Because new elements are being introduced all the time so much of it feels like tutorial level difficulty. I rather them explore some of these mechanics and put them in crazy elaborate levels rather than these simple ones. It is starting to feel like just more Galaxy which is awesome, but not this giant leap over the original. There are moments where the game soars but right after that you may enter a galaxy where you say "thats it". I am hoping for some harder more advanced levels later on and I do still have more than half of the game to go.

dcdobson

Pseudo_Sam said:
You just called this game shallow.

I'm having a hard time comprehending.
I think he's saying that some of the newer mechanics could have been more thoroughly explored. I disagree, but I don't think it's an unreasonable statement.

I really didn't think much of the
Green Stars until I had to get one from Bowser Jr's Fiery Flotilla. I saw that Green Star on top of the tower, and I thought that there was some special way to get up there without going through the lava. After a few minutes of searching, I decided to try actually getting into the lava just for kicks, and it turned out that you actually had to burn yourself in order to have enough height get on the wall on the far end. It's the most straightforward path, but it's also an incredibly devious challenge where you had to throw all common sense you gained from playing the game normally out the window.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
KeeSomething said:
Read my reasoning behind it to fill yourself in. You don't have to agree, but I made it crystal clear.

Wouldn't shallow be ONE mechanic used over and over? I dunno, it just seems like what you described is the complete and total opposite of what most would consider "shallow". I understand what you're getting at, I guess I just disagree with word choice. No biggie.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Wouldn't shallow be ONE mechanic used over and over?
I don't think so. Think of Super Metroid (or Metroid in general). You are given a lot less items/abilities than, say, Zelda, but those limited amount of abilities you do have are used to the fullest in the levels you play through. There is no wasted space.

I dunno, it just seems like what you described is the complete and total opposite of what most would consider "shallow". I understand what you're getting at, I guess I just disagree with word choice. No biggie.
No sweat. Thanks for not fliping out. I had a feeling I was going to get flamed for my opinion, but I kinda just got ignored for the most part. I'm not trying to ruin anyones' enjoyment of this game, but saying how I feel.

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than the original.

The hubs are less annoying, the cinemas and fluff are less prevalent and time-consuming, and most importantly, the levels are fun and interesting.

It does seem like there are more levels than the first so far and that they're a bit shorter. But that's a good thing, in my opinion.

Beautiful game, one of the best I've ever played. Can't wait for the soundtrack.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I love how galaxy 2 turns the honeyhive galaxy theme from "meh" to "awesome" by just adding a single layer <3

KeeSomething said:
No sweat. Thanks for not fliping out. I had a feeling I was going to get flamed for my opinion, but I kinda just got ignored for the most part. I'm not trying to ruin anyones' enjoyment of this game, but saying how I feel.
Thank you for being rational with your opinion, I see where you're coming from!

mjc

I'm now fully convinced that Spring Mario has the worst controls of anything I've played in Mario. The charged jump only seems to work when it wants to and its making me want to pull my hair out. Fucking bullshit.

GWX

mjc said:
I'm now fully convinced that Spring Mario has the worst controls of anything I've played in Mario. The charged jump only seems to work when it wants to and its making me want to pull my hair out. Fucking bullshit.

Keep pressing A in the air. It will work.

Mandoric

Banned
SYNTAX182 said:

Nintendo should've gone balls-out and actually called it Super Mario Galaxy More. It's very true and maybe a game like this proving that, no, there -isn't- anything wrong with that would cure this industry's sequelitis.

On the other hand, given the relatively disappointing sales of Galaxy, I can see why they didn't.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EatChildren said:
Looking at the title I dont see how Galaxy 2 could go under the 1.5 mantra anymore than Modern Warfare 2, Halo 2 and 3, BioShock 2, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and God of War 2 and 3.

Even upcomming games like Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3, and countless other titles across all platforms.
I agree on everything except LBP2. That is a true step forward over the first. While I'm loving SMG2, it does have this expansion pack feel that is hard to shake. Nothing wrong with that really since the game is tighter and there's some cool new stuff. I wouldn't cite LBP2 alongside the normal sequel though. I won't say more on this, PM me if you want to discuss further.

SMG2 related, it's vain but the visuals are so captivating. Obviously it won't win graphics awards for overall tech but this is a game that doesn't need to have 50m poly's on screen to impress.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mandoric said:
On the other hand, given the relatively disappointing sales of Galaxy, I can see why they didn't.
8,84m (and counting) are relatively disappointing? Every Nintendo title can't be a 20m+ seller.

Speevy

Banned
Sequels like Galaxy 2 are the spoils of a market leader which can make any kind of game it wants to make.

Last generation, it brought us Shadow of the Colossus and God of War 2.

There's nothing wrong with a sequel which can be enjoyed alongside its predecessor so long as content is original and offline. That way fans can start from the beginning, such as with the Jak, Ratchet, and Sly series.

Jasoco

Banned
Wait. Does Galaxy 2 have Spring Mario? Because I haven't seen it yet. I hated that power-up. As useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.

mjc

Jasoco said:
Wait. Does Galaxy 2 have Spring Mario? Because I haven't seen it yet. I hated that power-up. As useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.

As far as I can tell they've brought back all the powerups from SMG1. I don't care for it much either.

Jasoco said:

Do I need to spoiler this?
yes, but only in one level.

udivision

Speevy said:
There's nothing wrong with a sequel which can be enjoyed alongside its predecessor so long as content is original and offline. That way fans can start from the beginning, such as with the Jak, Ratchet, and Sly series.

I've always wondered how it is for fans of "recent" IP's who get sequels on the same platform all the time.

fernoca

Chris1964 said:
8,84m (and counting) are relatively disappointing? Every Nintendo title can't be a 20m+ seller.
Is GAF, you know that sales always disappoint.*

*The users from here, no matter how many press release a publishers releases talking about how happy they are with the sales.

:p

Top Bottom