• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BowieZ said:
I can't see this anywhere. But if that's true, that score seems a bit... err... transparent?
Saw it on that one Nintendo website. It was a video review and I couldn't watch it at work, but apparently that's what they gave it according to the comment section.

I don't care though, it's just interesting. :p

BowieZ

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah..just checked again and it seems to imply that it was all reset at the end..of the first game...

The crying baby..meaning the birth of new stars..Rosalina talking about the cycle of stars saying then turning into stardust which in turn become new galaxies..and that's the cycle of life and the it never repeats in the same way and "You'll see"..
This music still haunts me to this day.

KevinCow

Banned
I seem to be unlocking power-ups on the ship, but it won't let me use them. Is there any way to do so, or are they just there as trophies?

fernoca

KevinCow said:
I seem to be unlocking power-ups on the ship, but it won't let me use them. Is there any way to do so, or are they just there as trophies?
Those are just "trophies"....
As you play
you unlock them outside there, to used around the starship.

rhino4evr

I'm at 30 stars..and I still haven't finished world 3...

All I have to say is the prankster comets are the absolute bread and butter of this game. Had a blast with both the flip spin purple coin and tree slide purple coin challenge.. So much fun and quite challenging! I also love the cosmic clone stages. So So awesome. A big improvemet over the comet stars In the first game!

Naruto

KeeSomething said:
This game really picks up starting with the 5th world. Before that, as I mentioned (refer back to that post if you're interested), I felt the levels were shallow because they introduced creative ideas, but didn't expand on them.

That is not the case with World 5 and 6. I went from being completely disappointed in this game to really enjoying it. I don't wanna spoil (or overhype) those two worlds, but they are much better and feel more complete than the worlds before them.

Well, considering I had a blast playing worlds 1-4, some of which were the craziest, incredibly creative and most enjoyable levels I have ever played in a game, that's a good thing :).
I have yet to play beyond world 4 but I just can't understand how anyone could be disappointed with what the game had to offer up until that point. Really, my jaw has been dropped so many times at just how crazy fun some of the levels are. I'm constantly mumbling to myself while playing "I can't believe I'm actually doing this" or "Damn! How did they come up with that insane idea?"..

This game takes every basic idea in SMG 1 into overdrive, all the while consistently adding tons of new ones.

Nicktals

Banned
Holy crap balls at
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos, or whatever it's called (the prankster comet on Mario Squared Galaxy).

This is probably going to be the toughest one yet. Gave it 3 tries, got kind of close...but, wow. You have to go fast, and have to get them all. Not to mention the clones. Yeesh.

Thaedolus

So I'm listening to the the A's @ Orioles and every time the A's have a mound visit, I hear some Super Mario music come on the stadium PA. Related to Mario Galaxy or just something they do there?

GWX

Am I the only one having trouble with the
Flaming Dragon boss fight
?
I just can't defeat him, dammit!

Also,
the Rock Mushroom-based star in Melty Monster Galaxy is awesome

Incredible game, 66 stars in.

WillyFive

CassSept said:
Wow... wait, what? This is how they usually do reviews? Cause this is probably THE worst review of any game I've ever seen:lol
I love this review... it's so bad.

In case you haven't noticed, it's from a place that caters to the casual audience.

Which is ironic, because Nintendo's efforts to get casuals into the game industry is probably the reason they are reviewing games in the first place.

Jaruru

Naruto said:
Well, considering I had a blast playing worlds 1-4, some of which were the craziest, incredibly creative and most enjoyable levels I have ever played in a game, that's a good thing :).
I have yet to play beyond world 4 but I just can't understand how anyone could be disappointed with what the game had to offer up until that point. Really, my jaw has been dropped so many times at just how crazy fun some of the levels are. I'm constantly mumbling to myself while playing "I can't believe I'm actually doing this" or "Damn! How did they come up with that insane idea?"..

This game takes every basic idea in SMG 1 into overdrive, all the while consistently adding tons of new ones.

my jaw dropped so many times during the world 1 to 3 already. surprises come one after the other. I esp love the 2nd world stage/boss. given the new gameplay, they can definitely make more stages with mix of those ideas. whatever you call it, I don't mind a Galaxy 2.5

JSnake

Willy105 said:
In case you haven't noticed, it's from a place that caters to the casual audience.

Which is ironic, because Nintendo's efforts to get casuals into the game industry is probably the reason they are reviewing games in the first place.

How is that ironic?

WillyFive

Willy105 said:

It's your son saying that your best isn't good enough.

EmCeeGramr said:
i still don't have this game or the greatest game ever made, trauma team

why is my life so terrible

Of the three consoles, the Wii has given me the best experience this gen, and if I had to do it again, I would buy it exclusively this gen, yet I still don't own or played most of the games people list when haters ask what games are good on Wii.

Lijik

CassSept said:
Wow... wait, what? This is how they usually do reviews? Cause this is probably THE worst review of any game I've ever seen:lol
I love this review... it's so bad.
Its like I've transported back to the 90s era of televised reviews without the charming 'tude and editing.

I got the game today. Pretty awesome.

I don't know why this thread is so huge though. What is there to talk about? The whole fun of this game is discovering everything on your own. Seems like everyone's just treating this like a gaf tweets thread.

Doorman

I was wondering when the thread was going to get around to another name change... :lol

That MSNBC review wasn't terrible, but it does sound like the sort of thing you would expect to hear from someone that didn't fully delve into the game. I could be wrong on this, but I get the sense that the "nothing we haven't seen before" comment is more related to the overall structure and style of the game than a genuine rating of the gameplay. "Oh, you're Mario jumping around spherical worlds and collecting stars. Yoshi's there but he's been in Mario games before too." This isn't a game that comes around with a bunch of what you would call "new features" to tout, so it wouldn't surprise me if the reviewer plowed through the first two or three worlds or so and made his call of the game from there.

Tomorrow, my assault on World 6 begins!

The Hermit

fernoca said:
Yeah..just checked again and it seems to imply that it was all reset at the end..of the first game...

The crying baby..meaning the birth of new stars..Rosalina talking about the cycle of stars saying then turning into stardust which in turn become new galaxies..and that's the cycle of life and the it never repeats in the same way and "You'll see"..
Then Mario ,Peach, and Bowser all waking up in the ground looking at each other..clueless..and Rosalina is heard saying:

Then Mario says...

So that may be why they all act as if the first one never happened..

And sorry if this is a big spoiler for those playing the first game right now.. :p

This is how I take as well... expecially after the ending of the second one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just got my copy in the mail today. :D

Too bad I have to wait until I beat SMG 1.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Beat the final bowser

Was happy to see a whole new world waiting for me when I returned to the game. Kicked it off with what was basically a non-finicky version of Luigi's Purple Coins, which was awesome. I hope they really ramp up the difficulty in this world! i'm also excited to see what happens at 120 stars. no one tell me, though!

Tenbatsu

img03.jpg

http://club.nintendo.jp/present/P108/index.html

WillyFive

GK86 said:
Just got my copy in the mail today. :D

Too bad I have to wait until I beat SMG 1.

Which isn't a bad thing.

I applaud your sense of honor.

Even if in this type of game there is no consequence in not doing so.

Top Bottom