• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

TP

Just got through World 1 and damn do I love this game (so far)

Top and Cloud power ups weren't as lame as I thought they would be

Really nice packaging too, ive never seen a disc that nice. The move pamphlet was nice but it didn't list the homing stomp, took me a while to remember.

Other than the cosmic guide does Rosalina make an appearance?

fernoca

And just "finished" it..the "basic way" with
stars...
20 out 10 and all that.. :p

Tomorrow, to test my patience with the missing ..and new stars.. :lol

EDIT:
Wait the game is released tomorrow in Japan and a 2CD soundtrack is /will be added to the Club Nintendo catalog..and in the US, nothing yet...heck, not even the first soundtrack..even when the previous game sold more than twice the amount of copies it did in Japan....

Oh well..then again, Club Nintendo US..Platinum gifts will be announced..soon..so we'll see.

ZeroRay

Wow, I was amazed at the first 4 worlds but I have to say that the game really starts at world 5 and 6.

Melty Monster and Clockwork Ruins were godly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outside of the games Iwata Laughs is seriously my favourite thing to come out of this generation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoever made these "destroy the trash/boxes" stars for this game and the first needs to be fired. THEY'RE NOT FUN.

dkeane

Wow this game is amazing. Made it up to the third world tonight. Every level is so distinct. I hate being at work each day because of this game!

clav

Andrex said:
Whoever made these "destroy the trash/boxes" stars for this game and the first needs to be fired. THEY'RE NOT FUN.
It's supposed to teach the Japanese mentality to be clean and neat.

Cleaning is a real life game.

Lijik

Just got up to world 4.
Does anyone else share my mentality of just having to go do a race/comet star/secret star the second one pops up? I would have probably seen more of what the game has to offer galaxy-wise if I wasn't like that :lol

Philia

Playing this like mad so my SO could play this on his 4 day weekend. I'm at 83 stars and just hit World 6. I'm loving my prankster comet levels still. :D I remember I had a hellva of a time with Luigi Purple Coins (EVIL) in the first SMG but yet, they're the most memorable parts of that game! :) So I'm always looking forward for those evil levels with a greater challenge.

Most of the levels I went through were pretty darn easy for a seasoned Mario player. I also heard that the
Green
stars are pretty easy to get too.

Darkman M said:
Guess i should use my $20 credit from Amazon towards this, didn't finish the first one but fuck it.
It wouldn't hurt, plus you get the $20 credit back in a sense.

I'm loving the game, and I'm finding myself deliberately play it every once in a while, get a few stars at a time. I wonder if it's how they mapped out the stages that makes me approach it differently from the previous Galaxy game.

So, has anyone noticed that Cloud Mario is slightly lighter?

I mean, not just in a "can stand on clouds" way, but the ripple Mario makes on some objects when he falls is far smaller as Cloud Mario and he falls slightly slower

He actually weighs less with the cloud suit

Darkman M

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
It wouldn't hurt, plus you get the $20 credit back in a sense.

I'm loving the game, and I'm finding myself deliberately play it every once in a while, get a few stars at a time. I wonder if it's how they mapped out the stages that makes me approach it differently from the previous Galaxy game.

Nice just realized this ordering now.

Thaedolus

Anyone else kinda disappointed in the stars per galaxy ratio? I think I'd prefer to have fewer galaxies with more stuff to do in them. I dunno, the game's blowing me away but I'm kinda sad when I hit a level just a couple times and it's done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
claviertekky said:
It's supposed to teach the Japanese mentality to be clean and neat.

Cleaning is a real life game.

Cleaning/real-life aren't fun.

And SMG1/2 are supposed to be the opposite of real life. :lol

Game is amazing otherwise though. World 1 doesn't make a strong impression but things ramp up pretty excellently later on.

I typically have love for all people, creatures, and beings in the world.

But that being said, I hope and pray that Boyoing the Rabbit meets eternal damnation.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuck I want this game, why the hell didn't I import it... :-/

Are you guys having fun eh? Is it as incredibly awesome as the first game? Even if it just reaches its levels of amazingness in a few instances, I guess it would still be the second best game of this generation for me :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Thaedolus said:
Anyone else kinda disappointed in the stars per galaxy ratio? I think I'd prefer to have fewer galaxies with more stuff to do in them. I dunno, the game's blowing me away but I'm kinda sad when I hit a level just a couple times and it's done.
This appears to be the game's biggest criticism and yet its biggest compliment. The platforming is just such a joy that it's a shame when it's over. One just has to remind oneself that a normal star mission (non-secret, non-comet etc) is equivalent to one level in a 2D Mario game, and there's about the same number of levels in SMG2 as there is in SMB3 and SMW.

However, I still personally think world themes need to be brought back -- or should I say, make their first appearance in a 3D Mario game. Not necessarily boring ol' grass land, desert land etc (although this would undeniably be expected), but one long land full of 3D platforming levels that introduce a whole bunch of new mechanics specific to that world (a vast Ancient Ruins land, for example, could introduce a new type of drill, a time-slowing device, whirlwind flight, sand-bird riding, Tanooki Suit! etc), and just totally go crazy mishing and mashing them and fully exploring and exploiting each possible idea ... to an extent.

That's my answer to "where to next" which people seem to have trouble conceiving. Why Super Mario Universe? Why Super Mario Subatomic? Why not just Super Mario Bros. 3D?

Playing this game and reading the recent Iwata asks makes me think that Miyamoto has not yet created his masterpiece, and that his best is actually yet to come. Which is an incredibly exciting prospect.

I think that before his career is over, Miyamoto will create a game that is viewed as his absolute best, most impacting game, even above the original SMB and yes, even above this one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The stars:galaxy ratio is actually something I like in this game. In the first it seemed kinda out of whack, with some galaxies having like 6 stars, and others only having one. Having a higher number of galaxies, with all of them having 3-4 stars, is perfect IMO.

Then again, I had gotten kinda used to the ratio in SMG1. But the more galaxies* the better.

This includes the games, too. :D

JRW

Made it to World 5 tonight, 66 stars, Im so impressed with this game its just crazy how much different each level is and the music has been outstanding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BowieZ said:
That's my answer to "where to next" which people seem to have trouble conceiving. Why Super Mario Universe? Why Super Mario Subatomic? Why not just Super Mario Bros. 3D?

I'm not sure why people jump on setting ideas over everything. Like most of everything with Nintendo, its the gameplay mechanics that shape the game, not the location. From memory, the whole gravity thing had nothing to do with them saying "Lets set it in space", but instead space was a product of the gravity mechanic. So stuff like 'Super Mario Universe' really wouldn't mean anything.

And fucked if I know where Mario will go. I dont think I'd like to see the larger scale worlds you're suggesting, but I really, really love the more condensed environments found in Galaxy.

Maybe it will become an MMORPG sandbox shooter.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there any real point to
playing as Luigi when he's available for a mission
?

BowieZ

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'm not sure why people jump on setting ideas over everything. Like most of everything with Nintendo, its the gameplay mechanics that shape the game, not the location. From memory, the whole gravity thing had nothing to do with them saying "Lets set it in space", but instead space was a product of the gravity mechanic. So stuff like 'Super Mario Universe' really wouldn't mean anything.

And fucked if I know where Mario will go. I dont think I'd like to see the larger scale worlds you're suggesting, but I really, really love the more condensed environments found in Galaxy.
Fair enough, but that's what I kinda meant, anyway: worry about the gameplay mechanics first and then reverse engineer a series of world themes from there, but don't be strict about it because that would limit creativity which is what people seem to love so much about the Galaxy series (although personally I would probably be a bit more strict, but hey). The point of 'larger scale' is not really so much in scale but in length... just expand on some of the mechanics a bit more and by the end of each world/land have it so that the player is balancing a number of mechanics at the same time.

But all this is in vain anyway as I can't play SMG2 til July! :lol

I think you can bet that whatever form the next Mario takes, it will make use of whatever new control scheme Nintendo is cooking up for their next home console.

I think Nintendo's done with the analog stick. I think they'll have a way of controlling a character in 3D space with motion control of some kind, and Mario will be designed around it.

Playing this game, I like it sooo much more than Galaxy 1. I liked Galaxy 1, but I wasn't ever really compelled to play it further after beating the game.

I love the music so much more, too. The world music after World 2 is so good.

Right now, I'm up to World
. I just beat the previous world.

This game, with its bosses and puzzles and stuff, really makes me want a new Zelda so badly. Being on GAF has diminished my hype for the new Zelda, but Galaxy 2 somehow brought it back. :lol

As for the level to stars ratio, that is a very bittersweet thing. A ton of worlds with few stars is great for the obvious reasons, but Mario 64 was also great, with big, non-linear levels where you search for the stars only with the hint you're given on the star select screen. Because of the big, non-linear levels, you could kinda just drop in one level and have fun, sandbox style. (Like skating around the lava level with the shell, or flying with the wing cap.)

Edit:
Dan said:
Is there any real point to
playing as Luigi when he's available for a mission
?
I'm wondering this, too. I think I have an idea, but I don't know for sure.

GaimeGuy said:
From this to THIS
<3 <3 <3 the improvements in the track made from SMG1 to SMG2
I love the new Bowser's stages music. I've been humming it a lot today.

JRW

Golden Darkness said:
Getting a star with Luigi unlocks a Staff Ghost

Can you elaborate on this? Ive seen
a message saying a ghost has appeared in <insert name> galaxy
but what exactly does that indicate?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GaimeGuy said:
From this to THIS

<3 <3 <3 the improvements in the track made from SMG1 to SMG2

Eh I thought the new one was even more annoying than the first. Probably just me though.

Hightail Falls and Haunty Halls though. <3 <3 <3 <3

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
I've gotta say, the boss battles in this are surprisingly fun. I have always thought that mario boss battles were "just there", and were mediocre. This game is changing my mind :D

I loved the first bowser battle especially.

Come to think of it, this is the first mario game that I cared about the collectibles. I was always of the opinion that mario games should get rid of most of the collectibles, but this game is changing my mind. I like collecting the meteor tokens, and even the star bits and coins.

Why would you do that? said:
Playing this game, I like it sooo much more than Galaxy 1. I liked Galaxy 1, but I wasn't ever really compelled to play it further after beating the game.

I feel the same way, but I'm not really sure why. I went into Super Mario Galaxy with impossibly high expectations and came away disappointed. With Galaxy 2, my expectations were low, though not in the sense that I expected a bad game. I just left myself open to the possibility of a rushed, possibly soulless sequel. Whatever "it" factor I felt was missing from the first game, Galaxy 2 seems to have, which is just bizarre, considering the circumstances.

The_Dude

BowieZ said:
But all this is in vain anyway as I can't play SMG2 til July! :lol
Fellow Aussie, eh? Why not import from the UK? Comes out there June 11th. Having a US Wii certainly paid off this time for me!

JRW said:
Can you elaborate on this? Ive seen
a message saying a ghost has appeared in <insert name> galaxy
but what exactly does that indicate?

You enter the level and you'll see
a transparent Luigi moving through the level. This Luigi represents the Nintendo Staff's best time for beating the level.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there a reason the Fluzzard controls are so terrible? Twilight Bird in Zelda was better than this crap...

JRW

Golden Darkness said:
You enter the level and you'll see
a transparent Luigi moving through the level. This Luigi represents the Nintendo Staff's best time for beating the level.

Ohhh ok gotcha, That's pretty cool.

Yeah Fluzzard is awful.
I can't finish the mission where the bird calls me to come back and race him again.

I have 65 stars now, I finished what I could of World 4. I think I'm missing a few comet medals, and some of the comet missions haven't appeared still. It's a matter of time! :D

Andrex said:
Is there a reason the Fluzzard controls are so terrible? Twilight Bird in Zelda was better than this crap...

Because in every good, fun game, developers feel the need to insert something to vary the gameplay that doesn't receive nearly as much attention as the main game. Unfortunately, a small subset of the audience will maintain that it's good and that everyone else is wrong/doesn't get it.

Though after FFXIII, I've learned to cherish even poorly implemented gameplay variations, since I'd rather not fall asleep from playing a game again.

Top Bottom