• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I never played Mario Galaxy. From what I have read, Galaxy 2 is the better game. Should I even bother with Galaxy 1?
Get Galaxy 2 first, because it is the better game. Then when you finish it get 1. The order is meaningless.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
DenogginizerOS said:
I never played Mario Galaxy. From what I have read, Galaxy 2 is the better game. Should I even bother with Galaxy 1?
It's still pretty damn fun, so I'd say pick it up. It'd be better than going backwards and not enjoying it as much because you played Galaxy 2 first.

theluma

Mockingbird said:
http://club.nintendo.jp/present/P108/index.html?C70

This been posted yet?

img03.jpg

300 points if you've registered the game; otherwise, it's 500 points.

Fucking. Beautiful. UK please.

rhino4evr

DenogginizerOS said:

I would buy both and have your self a mario marathon.

Galaxy 1 is still an amazing game...and I don't think part 2 makes it less amazing. Part 2 just cuts the fat, and ups the difficulty a bit.

zigg

I dreamed that a 1+2 soundtrack collection was our Platinum present in America since we never got the first one.

I hated waking up from that dream.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the belly dive missing from the game? I used to love running, jumping, then diving, then jumping out of it, then diving again all around Delfino Plaza and The hub in galaxy 1.

That's the first thing I tried to do and I was like wuh? Am i pushing the wrong button? I couldn't find how to do it.

theluma

TSAGoodness said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but is the belly dive missing from the game? I used to love running, jumping, then diving, then jumping out of it, then diving again all around Delfino Plaza and The hub in galaxy 1.

That's the first thing I tried to do and I was like wuh? Am i pushing the wrong button? I couldn't find how to do it.

There was no belly dive in SMG IIRC

ccbfan

This game is killing my sleep.

On world 6 now. Been rushing through the game since I found out that you need to finish it first to use
Luigi
whenever you want and you need to use
Luigi
to get the staff ghost.

Speaking of that, is there a ghost for every star? Even secret stars? Even
green stars?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TSAGoodness said:

The belly dive was not in Galaxy.

zigg

ccbfan said:
Speaking of that, is there a ghost for every star? Even secret stars? Even
green stars?

I don't think they exist for comets, and definitely not for your last question.

Pretty sure they're everywhere else though.

zigg

Willy105 said:
But most people didn't know Mario had a homing attack in Galaxy 1. He still has it in Galaxy 2.

HOLY CRAP WHAT

yeah I knew about it, even wrote about it six-odd weeks ago

How many of you know about the 9,999 Star Bit reward?

DarkWish

Willy105 said:
I think you are right.

But most people didn't know Mario had a homing attack in Galaxy 1. He still has it in Galaxy 2.
Homing attack? Count me in the crowd of clueless people. How do you do it?

rhino4evr

zigg said:
HOLY CRAP WHAT

yeah I knew about it, even wrote about it six-odd weeks ago

How many of you know about the 9,999 Star Bit reward?

? I don't are you talking about Galaxy 1 or 2?

If you give Bank toad 10,000 starbits..does he wear a tuxedo? LOL.

Feep

Banned
Stayed up all night to get 120, because I'm going to Vegas tomorrow for a six day trip, and I wanted to know so badly what the post-120 content was. I hadn't spoiled it for myself.

Suffice to say: WOW. Best post-game in any Mario title to date. Damn it, the whole time in Vegas I'll be thinking about those
green stars

Hardest stars in the game for me:

Throwback Throwdown Speed Run: Needed a perfect Bouldergeist run to finish this, and did so with three seconds left on the clock. Whew.
12 lives needed.

Silver Stars (with Comet Coin) on the Cyclone Stone: this was a brutal level, especially considering I'd played the Cyclone Stone twice in the month prior in SMG1. Those guys were FAST.
11 lives needed.

Tree Trunk Purple Coins
9 lives needed.

Of course, I meant hardest stars so far. :D :D :D

zigg

rhino4evr said:
? I don't are you talking about Galaxy 1 or 2?

Both. It's the same reward, actually...

rhino4evr said:
If you give Bank toad 10,000 starbits..does he wear a tuxedo? LOL.

Haha, he should. But yeah, by star #241 here I have collected 15,000 between my stash and Banktoads... maybe more if my daughter has been siphoning them off into her save file.

Feep said:
Of course, I meant hardest stars so far. :D :D :D

Yeah, there are a few allright. :D

rhino4evr

DarkWish said:
Homing attack? Count me in the crowd of clueless people. How do you do it?

Jump
Spin at the top of the jump
and press Z to Ground Pound

If you are close to an enemy, Mario will twist and aim for the nearest enemy, it's pretty neat.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
rhino4evr said:
Jump

If you are close to an enemy, Mario will twist and aim for the nearest enemy, it's pretty neat.
Holy shit, I went through all of Galaxy without knowing this. :lol

rhino4evr

Zigg what is the reward?

The Homing Attack is definitely not essential to finish the game, and it's not always as acurate as you'd think. It actually takes longer to pull off, so I find it useless in the "kill all the enemies" challenges.

rhino4evr said:
Jump

Whoa, I did not know that!

I guess I was wrong about the dive in Galaxy 1, I swear I remember doing it though, maybe I'm just remembering 64 and Sunshine, oh wells, the game is still amazing.

zigg

Maybe I should celebrate after star #242 by sitting in my recliner and firing all 15,000 Star Bits at Lubba.

I could get a family member in on the action, too, for double firing rate :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Trying to get a few more achievements in Red Dead Redemption before I really put down the game to start SMG2, but I did watch my buddy play 5 or so stars the other day, and it made me want to play immediately. Just...two more...achievements. >_<

If I have any complaints about this game so far (I'm in the beginning of world 3), it's that the music has been disappointing in just a couple of levels, and that the bonus "sublevels" where you warp to fight some dudes to get 1-ups are pretty dumb. Besides that it's been pure bliss. :D

Jasoco

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
NOA

NOA DO THE RIGHT THING FOR ONCE
Do those soundtracks have every single song from the game on them? That's the problem with OST's for games. They always leave something out. I want all or nothing.

Scythesurge said:
If I have any complaints about this game so far (I'm in the beginning of world 3), it's that the music has been disappointing in just a couple of levels, and that the bonus "sublevels" where you warp to fight some dudes to get 1-ups are pretty dumb. Besides that it's been pure bliss. :D

Oh man I thought the lone piano music in the world 3 menu was fantastic, i sat back and listened to that for a few minutes when i first heard it.

Jaruru

rhino4evr said:
Jump

wow, I'll have a try later! thx for info

and you're right, many ppl don't read the manual at all :lol

TSAGoodness said:
Oh man I thought the lone piano music in the world 3 menu was fantastic, i sat back and listened to that for a few minutes when i first heard it.
TOTALLY agreed, it literally put me in a daze for minutes. I didn't mean that the music in this game was disappointing, it's been overwhelmingly epic. There were just a couple of levels I wasn't feeling so far.

rhino4evr

So I finished the pranksters on FlipSwitch and Tall Tree Slide last night...are those some of the harder stars in the game? If so, I'm happy I am done with them.

also in regards to post 120 stars..

Im a little confused on where the green stars are and how you obtain them, when you find them in a stage do you get "warped" out of it? Are there multiple stars in every stage..or do I have to find the green star and then complete the same stage/challenge again?

zigg

rhino4evr said:
So I finished the pranksters on FlipSwitch and Tall Tree Slide last night...are those some of the harder stars in the game? If so, I'm happy I am done with them.

Nope, there are definitely harder ones.

rhino4evr said:
Im a little confused on where the green stars are and how you obtain them, when you find them in a stage do you get "warped" out of it? Are there multiple stars in every stage..or do I have to find the green star and then complete the same stage/challenge again?

When you get one, the level ends there. Which is good, because many of them have no ground underneath them. :D There are as many Green Stars as Power Stars in every stage. You do have to start the level over for each one.

Peff

rhino4evr said:

also in regards to post 120 stars..

They are laying there in each course. As long as they're on the same normal star, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, you can get the other/s green stars too. The galaxies that have different routes need you to pick up the right star at the beginning. And yes, every time you pick up one, you'll go back to the Faceship like it's a normal star. Just use the first person view, pay close attention to the sounds and remember that if you pick up the first star, the rest will be past that point, they're not randomly placed.

Feep

Banned
Peff said:
They are laying there in each course. As long as they're on the same normal star, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, you can get the other/s green stars too. The galaxies that have different routes need you to pick up the right star at the beginning. And yes, every time you pick up one, you'll go back to the Faceship like it's a normal star. Just use the first person view, pay close attention to the sounds and remember that if you pick up the first star, the rest will be past that point, they're not randomly placed.
What's "the FPS"? First Person...something?

rhino4evr

Peff said:

Ok So....
I won't have to re-do any of these prankster challenges? That's good news...Does the level select screen show you if there are still green stars left on a planet?

BowieZ

Banned
Brainiac 8 said:
The jazzy song in the SpinDig Galaxy is absolutely amazingly catchy.

I was tapping my foot to the music the whole time. :D
I agree.

In fact, I think the bass line of Spin-Dig is a nod to the Fire/Ice Mario theme.

Scythesurge said:
If you haven't heard the full soundtrack yet (was YouTubed), you're in for an incredible treat. The sequel soundtrack is better than the first by far. Worlds 4-6 is where you'll hear it in-game, though.

Peff

rhino4evr said:
Ok So....
I won't have to re-do any of these prankster challenges? That's good news...Does the level select screen show you if there are still green stars left on a planet?

Yep, they're all in the normal levels, and yep, you know exactly how many stars are left for each level, so knowing which parts of the level are the limit (the other stars) helps

What's "the FPS"? First Person...something?

I meant to say view, Freudian slip :lol

Might have missed this somewhere prior in this tread or one of the PC screenshot threads, but does anyone know if SMG2 is working in dolphin, and if so, where can I check out some glorious 1080pp 4xAA screenshots?

BowieZ said:
If you haven't heard the full soundtrack yet (was YouTubed), you're in for an incredible treat. The sequel soundtrack is better than the first by far. Worlds 4-6 is where you'll hear it in-game, though.
:D Can't wait, the game has far exceeded my high expectations. You're still waiting for the game though, right? I think you're the one that's in for an incredible treat.

rhino4evr

Peff said:
Yep, they're all in the normal levels, and yep, you know exactly how many stars are left for each level, so knowing which parts of the level are the limit (the other stars) helps

I meant to say view, Freudian slip :lol

Oh I get it ...so say if the stage had
1 regular star, 1 secret star, and 1 comet star, there will be 3 Green Stars hidden in the "regular level"?

That sounds AWESOME. What a nice post game reward!

Bentendo

rhino4evr said:
Oh I get it ...so say if the stage had
1 regular star, 1 secret star, and 1 comet star, there will be 3 Green Stars hidden in the "regular level"?

That sounds AWESOME. What a nice post game reward!

That's correct. I'm seriously psyched though I'm worried I won't be able to beat some of the prankster comets.

Finally cracked into this yesterday. Wow. What a game. It's somehow blinding me with new content and subtle nostalgia at the same time. I stared at the screen in amazement when I saw that Yoshi's house homage in the first level...jesus, they thought of everything!

I do have a weird question, though, regarding the powerups stored on Starship Mario. Are those just for show, or what? I figured I could test them out around the starship, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to crack them open.

Also, I picked up the fire flower in one of the levels in the first world, but it didn't "register" as a powerup in that starship room - is that normal?

Lijik

zigg said:
Maybe I should celebrate after star #242 by sitting in my recliner and firing all 15,000 Star Bits at Lubba.

I could get a family member in on the action, too, for double firing rate :D

This sounds like the greatest plan in the world.

JRW

vazel said:
I'm confident now it's just a dithering glitch as it hasn't happened anywhere else. Wether it happens to everyone or not(and how many people know what to look for) I'm not sure.

At the beginning of the level drop into the pit. I could see the glitched dithering from that viewpoint. Here are some crappy webcam pics.
http://i48.tinypic.com/29lejaq.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/1z32f02.png <--- The blue dot is the light from the webcam. Look for the black dots.

Damn hate to say it but those dots in your pics look exactly like what we see on my nephews Wii, I havent played SMG2 on it yet but Ive seen the dots in certain games, The Wii works fine otherwise.

I took a couple shots with my cellphone off my Wii, It seems my cell cam created its own dithering effects but other than that didnt notice any dots.

http://ded.zenblue.net/smassive_g.jpg
http://ded.zenblue.net/smassive_g2.jpg

Top Bottom