• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Still just
stars in... really slowed down after finishing my review. Can you blame me? This game is better than
sex
!

zigg

othersteve said:
Still just
stars in... really slowed down after finishing my review. Can you blame me? This game is better than
sex
!

All this time I thought you were ahead of me!

Now I don't feel like such a slacker :D

LOL zigg, aren't you completely finished that this point? :D

I took the advice from earlier in the thread and decided to take it really slow after reaching
or so. I even stop to leave the music on while I eat dinner.
Drives my wife nuts!

camineet

Banned
I will say that I think the Galaxy 1 intro was far better than the Galaxy 2 intro. I mean the Galaxy 2 intro was cool but didn't blow me away the first did, with its CG-ish look.

Bentendo said:
Oh my God! :lol That's hilarious.
That's what she gets for marrying a nerd.

ac9037c5e16ac237339010fd6705f1a4_500.jpg

Nicktals

Banned
Bentendo said:
That's correct. I'm seriously psyched though I'm worried I won't be able to beat some of the prankster comets.

Yeah, I have the same fear. Some of these towards the end are absolutely wicked.

zigg

othersteve said:
LOL zigg, aren't you completely finished that this point? :D

Almost. Final level has a comet. Had to sleep sometime though :D

Nicktals said:
Yeah, I have the same fear. Some of these towards the end are absolutely wicked.

If I can handle it, you absolutely can.

BowieZ

Banned
Courtesy of GameRankings:

1. Wii Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Nintendo, 2010 97.57%
    22 Reviews
  2. N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Nintendo, 1998 97.57%
    28 Reviews
  3. Wii Super Mario Galaxy
    Nintendo, 2007 97.28%
    81 Reviews

Zeliard

I really want to buy this but I haven't put that much time in the first Galaxy and feel compelled to finish that one first.

jman2050

Hey look, a company decides to stick with something that worked the first time and made something even better the second time, what a surprise.

13 stars in, level design in general is much better than the first game if that were possible. Also Fluffy Bluff music is the new Gusty Garden music for the time being.

BowieZ said:
Courtesy of GameRankings:

1. Wii Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Nintendo, 2010 97.57%
    22 Reviews
  2. N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Nintendo, 1998 97.57%
    28 Reviews
  3. Wii Super Mario Galaxy
    Nintendo, 2007 97.28%
    81 Reviews
Good god.

Good god! I really need to get past Star 18. I have been sooooo busy this week.

Carlisle

Zeliard said:
I really want to buy this but I haven't put that much time in the first Galaxy and feel compelled to finish that one first.
I finished only the main 60-star game of Galaxy, with an entire second half of additional content that I haven't done... and I still feel like I'm jumping the gun by playing G2. But I'm doing it anyway.

Zing

Banned
vazel said:
Anyone else see artifacting in Supermassive Galaxy? Hopefully it was just a dithering glitch and my Wii isn't failing.

I just went through Supermassive Galaxy a few hours ago and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Other than the huge Goomba Paratroopas, of course.

zigg

jman2050 said:
Hey look, a company decides to stick with something that worked the first time and made something even better the second time, what a surprise.

No, you don't understand, it's just OK. Nothing to get excited about.

Christopher

Ok into the game about 11 stars I have a few questions, comments, and complaignts/praise.

- For a game that apparently took out story it's a LOT more tedious in this game to naviagte through the "storybook pages" it really truly feels very sloppy how they intergrated the story this time around...I was just in shock over the presentation.

- It doesn't really feel like a full fledged sequel in term of presentation it feels very rushed in presentation story/hub/overall feel compared to Galaxy one.

- I don't like how tiny the worlds have been thus far do they get bigger? I liked how in Galaxy one the worlds were huge and felt like real levels instead of mini worlds.

- Yoshi is annoying.

- I hate the "map" compared to a hub world, just a personal preference though ;)

Praise:

- The controls are amazing

- VERY fun!

- Having a blast playing with 2 players my wife actually PLAYS...I'm shocked!

Drakken

What's the best way to get star bits? Is there a particular level that's really good for getting a lot in a short amount of time? I'm stuck at 117 stars and can't do anything until I get like 1,300 more.

zigg

Drakken said:
What's the best way to get star bits? Is there a particular level that's really good for getting a lot in a short amount of time? I'm stuck at 117 stars and can't do anything until I get like 1,300 more.

Really? Did you get all the comet coins? Find all the hidden stars that are available to you?

kaskade

Would be nice if my UPS guy would hurry up. :D

My 20 bucks from Amazon was put into my account though. Looks like that will be for Alan Wake.

BowieZ

Banned
I still find it cool even after all these years to see a certain piece of Australian culture embedded within the Mario franchise, and now in full 3D... :D

BowieZ

Banned
andymcc said:
:lol wow.
:p It's kinda cheating though, as it's joint #1 with OoT, and technically OoT is ranked higher because the score had been diluted by more reviews (28 vs. 22).

And if that Microsoft...er.. MSNBC review of 8/10 gets added, then there's no way it can sustain a lead over OoT.

But yeah. Hyperbole it most certainly is not. ;)

gogojira

It's killing my that I can't devote my entire gaming time to this yet, but as soon as I finish Alan Wake, it's all about Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's not that I don't want to play SMG2 more, I just know that once I pick it up for good, I'll neglect other games I really need to beat (see: Alan Wake).

But fuuuuck is it good. Of the 8 or so stars I've obtained, I'm already in love.

dcdobson

Christopher said:
Ok into the game about 11 stars I have a few questions, comments, and complaignts/praise.

- For a game that apparently took out story it's a LOT more tedious in this game to naviagte through the "storybook pages" it really truly feels very sloppy how they intergrated the story this time around...I was just in shock over the presentation.

- It doesn't really feel like a full fledged sequel in term of presentation it feels very rushed in presentation story/hub/overall feel compared to Galaxy one.

- I don't like how tiny the worlds have been thus far do they get bigger? I liked how in Galaxy one the worlds were huge and felt like real levels instead of mini worlds.

- Yoshi is annoying.

- I hate the "map" compared to a hub world, just a personal preference though ;)

Praise:

- The controls are amazing

- VERY fun!

- Having a blast playing with 2 players my wife actually PLAYS...I'm shocked!
Keep playing, dude.

andymcc

Banned
BowieZ said:
But yeah. Hyperbole it most certainly is not. ;)

it keeps great company with all-time greats like Tekken 3, Soul Calibur and Grand Theft Auto IV. truly, the best in their genres.

i do agree that is better than every other game in that top ten that isn't orange box though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
andymcc said:
it keeps great company with all-time greats like Tekken 3, Soul Calibur and Grand Theft Auto IV. truly, the best in their genres.

i do agree that is better than every other game in that top ten that isn't orange box though.
Eh...

Drakken

zigg said:
Really? Did you get all the comet coins? Find all the hidden stars that are available to you?

Yep. Crowns on everything except
Boss Rush
. I just got the comet coin on that, but the comet didn't show up. Maybe it will if I play another level. I'll still need to get 1,000+ star bits, though, and that's gonna take awhile unless I find a good level to do it on.

seady

camineet said:
I will say that I think the Galaxy 1 intro was far better than the Galaxy 2 intro. I mean the Galaxy 2 intro was cool but didn't blow me away the first did, with its CG-ish look.

SMG2 had an intro??

Honestly, if this game had a little bit of story that is unique to itself (just like the first game), it would have differentiated itself much better from the first game. Without it, I can see why people think this game is an expansion pak.

Also, I think the progression of the game is a little dated. Maybe it is the perception that I have that there are many stars ahead of me that I need to collect, sometimes I feel like it is a chore - despite the stages are extremely fun to play. I don't think they should use numbers to justify your progression, because that will rationalize the game structure into some kind of routine.

If there are any criticisms, these are the ones I have of the game. Everything else is amazing!

The Hermit

Baiano19 said:
I've been playing it for a while and its basically a mix of SMG and SMW... so far the only thing that SMG is better is the OST by far.

The only new music I actually stopped to listen was the Space Storm one. Very dark and heavy.

Also, all bosses so far were much better than the first one.

90 stars in, and a few notes:
  • The best 2 themes from SMG 1 are back (Buoy Base and Purple Coins).
  • The new last stage theme is as good or even better than the first
  • The last boss is easier than the first, which was already too easy.
  • Bowser Jr. however is great in this game ( btw, is it just me, or his role makes him look like a mini-robotnick or something...)
  • IF NIntendo decided to have DLC, this would be the perfect game for it. It's so free of attachments that anything could and might happen.

Yep, this game is godly.

andymcc said:

i-lold3.jpg

[Nintex] said:
Now if Zelda Wii would climb to the number 1 spot the party would be complete.

We can only hope it gets as much attention and finesse as this game. If it does, holy crap.

KrawlMan

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but is there any reason to play Luigi in this game over Mario?

I don't have the game yet (arrives tomorrow), but I read that he is available fairly early on.

KrawlMan said:
Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but is there any reason to play Luigi in this game over Mario?

I don't have the game yet (arrives tomorrow), but I read that he is available fairly early on.

Other than a different feel and movement, nope.

After you beat the game once,
you can play as him whenever you want
, though.

thefro

Rocket Punch said:
I never thought I'd live to see the day. It's a brave new world.

Some Zelda fanboy site will submit a bad review to keep it under OOT... that's what happened with Galaxy 1

Top Bottom