• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

On the prankster level in Tall Trunk Galaxy there's 140 purple coins.

What happens when you get all 140? I'm convinced that it cannot be done.
Or is 140 just a padded number because 100 is relatively difficult to get?

How is believing that NSMBWii is a port of the DS game when one of, if not the first thing they showed of it was 4-player local co-op and propeller suits, comparable to having the opinion that SMG2 is more of an expansion of SMG than a true sequel and the next step forward in the Mario franchise?

MegaKungFuRadio said:
How is believing that NSMBWii is a port of the DS game when one of, if not the first thing they showed of it was 4-player local co-op and propeller suits, comparable to having the opinion that SMG2 is more of an expansion of SMG than a true sequel and the next step forward in the Mario franchise?
because both are wrong

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Considered importing this but I think I might leave it till local release.

Is it a problem that I am more excited at hearing the music than actually playing the game? :lol

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Well, other than that.
I think because both are ultimately forms of FUD that are spread to limit excitement and hype about titles. Misery loves company or, perhaps even more sadly, people think that diminishing other titles makes their preferred company seem better. Like corporate espionage, but on a message board, and more like lies told on a schoolyard.

Second star in
Melty Monster (rock Mario thing)
was hard.
I couldn't line up the ricochet at the end, first time I made cosmic guide lady appear... so I shot her with star bits for a minute or two to release some frustration

Feep

Banned
Buckethead said:
On the prankster level in Tall Trunk Galaxy there's 140 purple coins.

What happens when you get all 140? I'm convinced that it cannot be done.
Or is 140 just a padded number because 100 is relatively difficult to get?
I'm fairly sure it is literally impossible to get all 140. There are points where two purple coins are apart from each other at the same position on the slide.

There are 140 because, as you said, 100 would be next to impossible. The first Super Mario Galaxy had a few PC stars like this (Luigi's Purple Coins, the Pull Star one in the Ghost Galaxy)

MegaKungFuRadio said:
NSMBWii = Next step forward for 2D Mario

SMG2 = Next step forward for 3D

People thought NSMBWii was just a port with added multiplayer.
People thought Galaxy 2 was just an expansion pack to the first.
People were/are uneducated about both games.

Aeana

MvmntInGrn said:
Second star in
was hard.
I couldn't line up the ricochet at the end, first time I made cosmic guide lady appear... so I shot her with star bits for a minute or two to release some frustration
After getting 120 stars, I can still say that this star in particular was still one of the hardest in the game for me to get. It's also the only one in the game where the "cosmic guide" thing showed up for me, because I died so many times.

fireside

Aeana said:
After getting 120 stars, I can still say that this star in particular was still one of the hardest in the game for me to get. It's also the only one in the game where the "cosmic guide" thing showed up for me, because I died so many times.
I think I died more on a couple other stars but the cosmic guide never showed up for those.

Metroid Killer said:
NSMBWii = Next step forward for 2D Mario

SMG2 = Next step forward for 3D

People thought NSMBWii was just a port with added multiplayer.
People thought Galaxy 2 was just an expansion pack to the first.
People were/are uneducated about both games.

As in a literal expansion pack? Otherwise the analogy is weak.

Aeana said:
Glad I'm not the only one.

I liked the level concept but
lining it up at the end felt more like luck. And when I finally made it to the star it seemed like I was going to have to jump for it, thankfully it triggered before I tried, wouldn't have been pretty.
fireside said:
I think I died more on a couple other stars but the cosmic guide never showed up for those.
Were they prankster stars? I don't think you get the guide for those (I'm not positive though).

Heel

MvmntInGrn said:
Glad I'm not the only one.

I liked the level concept but
lining it up at the end felt more like luck. And when I finally made it to the star it seemed like I was going to have to jump for it, thankfully it triggered before I tried, wouldn't have been pretty.

Were they prankster stars? I don't think you get the guide for those (I'm not positive though).

Haha, glad to see someone had the same thought process. After probably 15 or so tries I
made it in, bounced around a bit, jumped for the star and died.
:(

Like others have said, that's the only time I've seen the cosmic guide.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
As in a literal expansion pack? Otherwise the analogy is weak.
No not literal. But the point is that people thought both titles weren't full fledged games, but Nintendo trying to earn some more money by half assing it.
And that is a very poor uninformed judgement when NSMBWii and now Galaxy 2 prooves that they are some of the best games released on the market.

fireside

MvmntInGrn said:
Actually, reflecting on it, I think that star was the one I died most on, at least in one sitting. The others I didn't have as many lives so I kept getting game overs. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

BowieZ

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
No not literal. But the point is that people thought both titles weren't full fledged games, but Nintendo trying to earn some more money by half assing it.
And that is a very poor uninformed judgement when NSMBWii and now Galaxy 2 prooves that they are some of the best games released on the market.
The irony of it is that, in my opinion, this game seems to take most of its cues from NSMBW, in terms of level-by-level insanely creative platforming design, the map system, among others (although in truth it's probably that both of those games take their cues from the new Wii philosophy of ease-of-access).

You know, I love the orchestrated music and all, but I'd actually hope that in, say, the next Zelda, the music is part orchestrated and part not.

MvmntInGrn said:
Second star in
was hard.
I was going to mention that this is the best stage ever for getting star bits. Died many times, saw the Cosmic Guide for the first and only time... and I had just under 500 star bits when I did complete the level.

I really don't think that is an unfair galaxy. After trying it over and over (at first because I sucked, but later for star bits), I can complete it without dying about 50% of the time, so it isn't really luck.

Edit: By the way, when you get 77 stars, talk to the purple luma thing on your ship. It's nothing big, but I thought it was somewhat neat.

BowieZ

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
You know, I love the orchestrated music and all, but I'd actually hope that in, say, the next Zelda, the music is part orchestrated and part not.
I agree. Case in point: this gets me every time, and it wouldn't be better without the synths.

vazel

Banned
Anyone else see artifacting in Supermassive Galaxy? Hopefully it was just a dithering glitch and my Wii isn't failing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
vazel said:
Anyone else see artifacting in Supermassive Galaxy? Hopefully it was just a dithering glitch and my Wii isn't failing.

Are you seeing white spots?

Wow, I just played
a level in the special world that was based on one of Super Mario Sunshine's infamous "secret" worlds, where you don't have Fludd
. I find it extremely funny that they give you Cloud Mario there, for no other reason but to catch yourself if you fall. They're basically admitting that
Super Mario Sunshine was unfairly hard.
:lol

JRW

vazel said:

Never saw any artifacting here. (completed galaxy 100%).

BowieZ

Banned
Is this 1up article new? Super Mario Galaxy 2: The Early Postmortem

"A lot of overseas gamers said the game was too easy," Koizumi noted. "3D games have a tendency to be more difficult to control, so we deliberately ratcheted down the difficulty a bit [in the original]. With 2, we've raised the complexity while making the controls easier to use. On a personal level, I think the game's about 20 percent more challenging."

zigg

Yeah, the star you guys are all talking about was a life-chewer for me too... particularly the zig-zaggy part. Just wait till after the main game when
you have to get the Green Star there...

So yeah, I completed 240 stars last night.

Ho-lee crap.

First time through Grandmaster Galaxy was difficult, but not insurmountable. But NOW... now I have to do it again on a daredevil comet.

Is there any shame in letting my daughter help out? :D

vazel

Banned
JRW said:
Never saw any artifacting here. (completed galaxy 100%).
I'm confident now it's just a dithering glitch as it hasn't happened anywhere else. Wether it happens to everyone or not(and how many people know what to look for) I'm not sure.

At the beginning of the level drop into the pit. I could see the glitched dithering from that viewpoint. Here are some crappy webcam pics.
http://i48.tinypic.com/29lejaq.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/1z32f02.png <--- The blue dot is the light from the webcam. Look for the black dots.

I had a dream about playing this game last night, what the hell. I think it is a sign. I'm about to go sell some games or something, I need this.

NeonZ

barnone said:
Are there really
241 stars or is the second half (121 stars) for a Luigi playthrough
?

There are
120 new stars after the initial 120, but they're in the same stages of the old ones, only one new stage in the post game, after gathering 240 stars

barnone said:
Are there really
?

yes there are !
and it have notthing to do with luigi.
You get an additional 120 green stars to collect

zigg

barnone said:
Are there really
?

Um, actually, there's
at least 242. I got 241 and I still have a comet to tackle.

I wonder if the people claiming 241 didn't bother to grab the comet medal.

http://club.nintendo.jp/present/P108/index.html?C70

This been posted yet?

img03.jpg

300 points if you've registered the game; otherwise, it's 500 points.

big_z

vazel said:
I'm confident now it's just a dithering glitch as it hasn't happened anywhere else. Wether it happens to everyone or not(and how many people know what to look for) I'm not sure.

At the beginning of the level drop into the pit. I could see the glitched dithering from that viewpoint. Here are some crappy webcam pics.
http://i48.tinypic.com/29lejaq.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/1z32f02.png

your wii is dying. send it to nintendo for repairs.

eznark

Banned
speedpop said:
Considered importing this but I think I might leave it till local release.

Is it a problem that I am more excited at hearing the music than actually playing the game? :lol
I put way more hours into the Galaxy 1 soundtrack than the game. I probably beat the soundtrack 20-30 times, easy.

Milpool

vazel said:
Read that post again. Only happens in that level.

It only used to happen in certain parts of Twilight Princess for me but gradually got worse and appeared more. It may only be appearing on that one level cause it's particularity taxing, since that's one of the few levels where I get frame-rate drops.

vazel

Banned
Milpool said:
It only used to happen in certain parts of Twilight Princess for me but gradually got worse and appeared more. It may only be appearing on that one level cause it's particularity taxing, since that's one of the few levels where I get frame-rate drops.
Well then, how many of you have actually replayed that level careful to look out for what I'm talking about?

I don't remember any framerate drops in that level btw... Just because there are big models doesn't mean it was taxing... The level was kind of bare actually...

Milpool

vazel said:
I don't remember any framerate drops in that level btw... Just because there are big models doesn't mean it was taxing... The level was kind of bare actually...

Yeah I thought it was weird, could have been a one off. It happened at the start of the level, and on the small planetoid where flowers sprout as you run around(not sure if that's on the same level).

I'll check in a while to see if there are any visual strangies.

Top Bottom