• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

fernoca

BowieZ said:
But all this is in vain anyway as I can't play SMG2 til July! :lol
I swear I read that you already had and beat the game...
Yikes!
Oh well..I have the game and you don't!!!!!!!!.... :p

For the most part I liked the original Honeybee Galaxy theme better.

Anyway up to 38 stars after polishing off some more prankster comets. Having lots of fun.

Zing

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So, has anyone noticed that Cloud Mario is slightly lighter?

I mean, not just in a "can stand on clouds" way, but the ripple Mario makes on some objects when he falls is far smaller as Cloud Mario and he falls slightly slower

He actually weighs less with the cloud suit

It took me a while to understand why I kept missing jumps and such as cloud Mario. It was because he falls slower and can jump farther.

I love the remakes of the music from Super Mario World. Stuff like the Ghost House tracks. They make the experience so much more fun.

Zing

Banned
cornontheCoD said:
I like collecting the meteor tokens, and even the star bits and coins.

I find myself collecting far more coins and star bits in SMG2 than I ever did in the first game. I think its because they do more than just open up hidden stars or give 1ups this time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MegaKungFuRadio said:
Because in every good, fun game, developers feel the need to insert something to vary the gameplay that doesn't receive nearly as much attention as the main game. Unfortunately, a small subset of the audience will maintain that it's good and that everyone else is wrong/doesn't get it.

It may be the deciding factor in my SMG1/SMG2 comparison.

BowieZ

Banned
fernoca said:
I swear I read that you already had and beat the game...
Yikes!
Oh well..I have the game and you don't!!!!!!!!.... :p
Nah I've just been reading tons and tons of forums and reviews and stuff, seen a few youtube playthroughs, etc., mainly impressions and summaries from people who have totally finished the game but who also refuse to give away spoilers.

And actually I'm glad I still have the whole experience to look forward to!!!!!!!!...
cognitive dissonance

Andrex said:
It may be the deciding factor in my SMG1/SMG2 comparison.
Are you implying that SMG1 didn't have anything as bad as Fluzzard? Isn't the manta racing rather comparable?

Feep

Banned
82-stars-in spoiler:

SUCK IT,
Luigi's
Purple Coin
Chaos
. Beat it in four tries, and damn if I don't feel like a badass for doing so.
Only 100 coins this time, and shadow bitches chasing me
! It was epic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
Are you implying that SMG1 didn't have anything as bad as Fluzzard? Isn't the manta racing rather comparable?

Manta Racing was similar but you were only in control of left and right, and jumping which was optional. Fluzzard forces you to be in control of going down or... going down really fast. Not only that, the controls just don't really feel all they should be.

On top of this, one of Fluzzard's level has you navigating through obstacles and enemies, which never happened in Manta Racing. Because of this, even if the controls were similarly broken, you never noticed it.

Neiteio

Does anyone have the Prima player's guide? If so, does it give an official name for the storm-cloud Lakitu boss you fight in "Spiny Control" in Yoshi Star? And what about the boss you fight in Flipsville, the fugly-looking yellow fellow that you attack by ground-pounding from below? As a Mario geek, I want to know!

EDIT: Well well, apparently the Flipsville boss is Glamdozer, and the Yoshi Star boss is Giga Lakitu. That's what the Wiki says, anyway. Can someone with the guide confirm this? I'm guessing that's where the names came from...

BowieZ

Banned
@Andrex - Well, I've seen a playthrough of both levels you're referring to (cos I just had to see how the music sounded in-game), and the player seemed quite adept in both. The trick seemed to be "just go straight down wherever possible," of course self-correcting every now and then to avoid hitting walls and stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
@Andrex - Well, I've seen a playthrough of both levels you're referring to (cos I just had to see how the music sounded in-game), and the player seemed quite adept in both. The trick seemed to be "just go straight down wherever possible," of course self-correcting every now and then to avoid hitting walls and stuff.

I've beaten the Fluzzard levels so I think I know what I'm talking about. They just feel really clunky.

Arthrus

Anyone else have the Luigi ghost freezing in midair in
Clockwork Ruins Galaxy
?
He starts, turns around and jumps and then gets stuck floating there. It's actually kind of funny :lol

EDIT: Fluzzard controls are mostly clunky because the way you hold the Wiimote makes it hard to bend your wrist in the downward direction. Left/right/up is easy, but they could have done a better job on the diving. Still, I had no troubles with the stages. Actually, I really enjoyed them.

Speevy

Banned
I thought the Fluzzard challenges were two of the easiest spots in my game so far. Didn't crash into anything, never went the wrong way, no problem.

Feep

Banned
Oh, I went ahead and beat a Luigi Ghost (by a second or so), but nothing happened. C'mon, Nintendo, how hard would it have been just to put a little star thingy next to the Galaxy name? = (

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speevy said:
I thought the Fluzzard challenges were two of the easiest spots in my game so far. Didn't crash into anything, never went the wrong way, no problem.

Have you made it to world 5 yet?

Andrex said:
I've beaten the Fluzzard levels so I think I know what I'm talking about. They just feel really clunky.

Is there more than one galaxy you have to do it? I just got galaxy complete on Wild Glide. The first star is super easy and just about learning the controls. The race took me 3-4 tries (or however many attempts I had in the 4 minutes it took me to complete). Getting the comet coin was stupidly frustrating and made me wish there was a quick level restart option.

EDIT:
Andrex said:
Have you made it to world 5 yet?

There we go...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speevy said:
Had just started world 5 when my Wiimote died.

Yeah, well, it's a World 5 level I was primarily raging against.

Beat it though, with four rings I think (even though they don't do anything.) Shaved 30 seconds off the default time, too.

fernoca

maybe that was your problem Andrex..
Since I know the bird was a bitch..I just went straight to the finish line..and bam!..finished it on my first try, each.. :lol .."oh I'm loser..I'm no leader..you leader".. :p

Aeana

All done for now. I got 120 stars and I need to put the game aside to do some other stuff. I'd been avoiding this thread so nothing got ruined for me, but now I can post that I thought the game was really awesome. I generally put it about even with SMG1, except for the music, which I do like a lot, but don't think is quite as good as SMG1's. A very worthwhile sequel, and manages to not feel like an expansion pack, which is kind of what I feared.

AniHawk

Aeana said:
All done for now. I got 120 stars and I need to put the game aside to do some other stuff. I'd been avoiding this thread so nothing got ruined for me, but now I can post that I thought the game was really awesome. I generally put it about even with SMG1, except for the music, which I do like a lot, but don't think is quite as good as SMG1's. A very worthwhile sequel, and manages to not feel like an expansion pack, which is kind of what I feared.

good christ what started this expansion pack bullshit.

AniHawk

jj984jj said:
Probably Miyamoto saying it started out as SMG 1.5.

yeah but then he said they went ahead and decided to make a full fledged sequel anyway. it reminds me of people mistaking nsmbw as a port of the ds game.

Aeana

AniHawk said:
good christ what started this expansion pack bullshit.
I saw the launch trailer for SMG2 and then stopped paying attention to it completely, as I do for every Mario game. I had heard the quotes about gutting the story, about it being Mario Galaxy 1.5, and building a bunch of levels on top of the already-existing mechanics. An expansion pack to Mario Galaxy could not possibly be a bad thing, but I'm very pleased to find that it adds quite a bit more than I originally expected. Also: relax, please?

AniHawk said:
yeah but then he said they went ahead and decided to make a full fledged sequel anyway. it reminds me of people mistaking nsmbw as a port of the ds game.
That's pretty offensive. Those two things aren't even close to being the same.

Piano

Banned
World 6 is continuously blowing my mind. Holy shit,
Clockwork Ruins
is one of my favorite levels from any game, ever.:D

AniHawk

Aeana said:
I saw the launch trailer for SMG2 and then stopped paying attention to it completely, as I do for every Mario game. I had heard the quotes about gutting the story, about it being Mario Galaxy 1.5, and building a bunch of levels on top of the already-existing mechanics. An expansion pack to Mario Galaxy could not possibly be a bad thing, but I'm very pleased to find that it adds quite a bit more than I originally expected. Also: relax, please?

I AM RELAXED

That's pretty offensive. Those two things aren't even close to being the same.

of course they are. they spread in pretty much the same way. hell, i think it even happened on the same day! people heard the first word of each game and never went back and checked to see if it was true.

bmf said:
yeah that too

Might have missed this somewhere prior in this tread or one of the PC screenshot threads, but does anyone know if SMG2 is working in dolphin, and if so, where can I check out some glorious 1080pp 4xAA sceenshots?

Aeana

AniHawk said:
of course they are. they spread in pretty much the same way. hell, i think it even happened on the same day! people heard the first word of each game and never went back and checked to see if it was true.
It was clear from the very beginning that NSMB Wii wasn't a port of the DS game. Anybody with half a brain could have seen that. A legitimate worry if one only saw the reveal demonstration for NSMB Wii and nothing else would be that it was a fully multiplayer-focused game (which, incidentally, was exactly what I was kind of worrying about for a while).

If my preconceptions might cause me to reconsider buying a game, I will certainly check to make sure they're correct. But I buy Mario games. I don't need to be sold on them, and I certainly don't want to know every last detail before playing. The hype machine ruins games. I'm sorry you seem to have a problem with this, but it's not like I've been going around calling the game an expansion pack. I probably haven't even posted anything about SMG2 until now.

AniHawk

Aeana said:
It was clear from the very beginning that NSMB Wii wasn't a port of the DS game. Anybody with half a brain could have seen that. A legitimate worry if one only saw the reveal demonstration for NSMB Wii and nothing else would be that it was a fully multiplayer-focused game (which, incidentally, was exactly what I was kind of worrying about for a while).

If my preconceptions might cause me to reconsider buying a game, I will certainly check to make sure they're correct. But I buy Mario games. I don't need to be sold on them, and I certainly don't want to know every last detail before playing. The hype machine ruins games. I'm sorry you seem to have a problem with this, but it's not like I've been going around calling the game an expansion pack. I probably haven't even posted anything about SMG2 until now.

I didn't mean to single you out. In case you were unaware, you weren't the only and first person to bring up the term "expansion pack" in reference to this game. And since you are unaware, there was a lot of people here who thought NSMBW was a port with multiplayer. or at least they pretended to think that.

Aeana said:
It was clear from the very beginning that NSMB Wii wasn't a port of the DS game. Anybody with half a brain could have seen that.
Wow have you never been a NSMB wii thread before? Tons of people have been mistaken it for being a port. And a lot of people thinks that Galaxy 2 is just 1.5. I don't understand why you are defending this?

Aeana

Metroid Killer said:
Wow have you never been a NSMB wii thread before? Tons of people have been mistaken it for being a port. And a lot of people thinks that Galaxy 2 is just 1.5. I don't understand why you are defending this?
Err, please don't misunderstand. I'm fully aware that people thought NSMB Wii was a port. I'm calling them retarded, and I am defending myself from being compared to them.

AniHawk

Aeana said:
Err, please don't misunderstand. I'm fully aware that people thought NSMB Wii was a port. I'm calling them retarded, and I am defending myself from being compared to them.
see, what i was trying to say was that the spread of the 'nsmbw is a port' stuff was about as bad as the 'smg2 is an expansion pack' stuff.

Nabs

unagisensei said:
Might have missed this somewhere prior in this tread or one of the PC screenshot threads, but does anyone know if SMG2 is working in dolphin, and if so, where can I check out some glorious 1080pp 4xAA sceenshots?

it works fine. check the dolphin thread tomorrow.

Top Bottom