• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

thefro said:
Some Zelda fanboy site will submit a bad review to keep it under OOT... that's what happened with Galaxy 1
You mean Xbox fanboy site? Like MSNBC giving the game a 7.5 / 10.0? I'd love to see them try to post that review on any of the aggregate sites. The war will be angrily fought.

ShockingAlberto said:
So, has anyone noticed that Cloud Mario is slightly lighter?

I mean, not just in a "can stand on clouds" way, but the ripple Mario makes on some objects when he falls is far smaller as Cloud Mario and he falls slightly slower

He actually weighs less with the cloud suit
Woah, you're right! It's such a subtle difference I didn't notice until I really looked for it.

Does anyone know if there's a penalty for activating the Cosmic Guide, even if you don't use it, like there was with the Super Guide in NSMBWii?

WillyFive

If Mario galaxy 2 keeps it's #1 spot, then the thread title should be changed to Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| OFFICIALLY the greatest game of all time.

[Nintex]

TheKingsCrown said:
You mean Xbox fanboy site? Like MSNBC giving the game a 7.5 / 10.0? I'd love to see them try to post that review on any of the aggregate sites. The war will be angrily fought.
I don't think MSNBC is counted by Gamerankings and such, they're not for Galaxy 1/Uncharted etc. so I doubt it'll happen now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Played through the first 2 worlds, and yeah it's fun... but I can't seem to shake off the "more of the same" feeling. Maybe it's just because I prefer 2D Mario or something...

But the new additions, with the exception of the Cloud Mario, don't really work for me. I hate controlling Yoshi when he has the Speed Pepper (reminds me of playing a 3D Sonic with the erraticness of it), and was disappointed to find out that some waggle minigames were back in. I'm gonna keep playing, get all the stars, of course... but with all the praise on the game, I expected a bit more.

djtiesto said:
Played through the first 2 worlds, and yeah it's fun... but I can't seem to shake off the "more of the same" feeling. Maybe it's just because I prefer 2D Mario or something...

But the new additions, with the exception of the Cloud Mario, don't really work for me. I hate controlling Yoshi when he has the Speed Pepper (reminds me of playing a 3D Sonic with the erraticness of it), and was disappointed to find out that some waggle minigames were back in. I'm gonna keep playing, get all the stars, of course... but with all the praise on the game, I expected a bit more.

You haven't even touched the rest of the iceberg. There's a reason why most of the reviews say it's not more of the same, that being the rest of the game is fantastic. The first couple worlds are almost like an intro.

It'd be like playing SM64 up to the third level and calling it too easy, without ever having seen Tick Tock Clock or anything. Premature.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved the intro to Galaxy 2. The transition from 2D to 3D was awesome, and would have blown some minds if they had done that with Mario 64.

I also feel that Nintendo has reached Valve level in terms of teaching the player how to play the game. There are a million different mechanics in this game, each unique to only a few levels, so I am surprised at how well they are able to teach the mechanics without it feeling like a tutorial every time.

Christopher

cornontheCoD said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved the intro to Galaxy 2. The transition from 2D to 3D was awesome, and would have blown some minds if they had done that with Mario 64.

Really?? I felt it was very sloppy and lazy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cornontheCoD said:
I also feel that Nintendo has reached Valve level in terms of teaching the player how to play the game. There are a million different mechanics in this game, each unique to only a few levels, so I am surprised at how well they are able to teach the mechanics without it feeling like a tutorial every time.

can you even imagine some kind of valve/nintendo roundtable at gdc on this topic? i would murder someone to hear that.

zigg

I thought it was charming and don't give a flying fuck if it was "lazy" or if it was part of some grand scheme to make the game more approachable.

Beats the shit out of a cutscene. (see also: end credits)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cornontheCoD said:

Eh... no.

I feel they still rely too much on text prompts. They had the right idea during the NES and SNES eras.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Regulus Tera said:
Eh... no.

I feel they still rely too much on text prompts. They had the right idea during the NES and SNES eras.

i would argue it's a wee bit more of a challenge to convey the mechanics of SMG2 than it is to convey the mechanics of SMB.

Regulus Tera said:
Eh... no.

SMW and YI both had text prompts. Considering the stuff the Galaxy games are doing I fail to see why Nintendo should cut back on them.

And what beezleboro said.

zigg

pakkit said:
I can't find the 5th gate in the 2nd Fluzzard challenge. It's driving me insane...

Follow the trail of Star Bits first time you go outside.

More specifically:
It's Galaxy, travel on the underside :)

Now, (post-120)
the second Green Star is almost patently unfair.
It's
located behind the left falling column in the final room... you'll have to hang back and wait for the thing to fall. Drove me nuts finding that one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
othersteve said:
That's what she gets for marrying a nerd.

ac9037c5e16ac237339010fd6705f1a4_500.jpg

As soon as I got the Zora Tunic I never went back.

Silly macro is silly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
beelzebozo said:
i would argue it's a wee bit more of a challenge to convey the mechanics of SMG2 than it is to convey the mechanics of SMB.

I would argue they haven't tried hard enough!

Or at the very least stop reminding me every five seconds that I can do a spin with a shake of the Wiimote. The first time was enough.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
SMW and YI both had text prompts. Considering the stuff the Galaxy games are doing I fail to see why Nintendo should cut back on them.

And what beezleboro said.

The only text prompts I remember in SMW that intended to teach you how to play were completely optional, in the form of those speaker boxes. Even Yoshi's "THANK YOU FOR RESCUING ME MARIO" in Yoshi's Island 2 was absolutely superficial.

Also I haven't played Yoshi's Island.

I'm not saying they are not doing the right thing; just that they haven't gone far enough yet.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Regulus Tera said:
I'm not saying they are not doing the right thing; just that they haven't gone far enough yet.

yeah, i jibe with that. it's a tough balance though, and nobody's really nailed it 100% without any text or voice explanations, apart from valve i think (half-life 2 may have even had some "press R to fire" stuff up front, but i can't remember 100%; may be mixing it with something else). regardless, we're moving in the right direction.

Nose Master

Man, I suck at finding
green stars
. After the obvious one in the first galaxy, I couldn't find the other two :lol. Is it ever disadvantageous to select the
green star
on the menu if that's the one you're looking for? Say, if you needed the cloud suit to get it or something.

Nicktals

Banned
So I guess I just am not very good in the morning. Was struggling like hell with several late stars.

But then this afternoon I booted it up and whizzed right through some of the most difficult stars in the game, in my opinion. 2 left for 120!

Peff

Nose Master said:
Man, I suck at finding
green stars
. After the obvious one in the first galaxy, I couldn't find the other two :lol. Is it ever disadvantageous to select the
green star
on the menu if that's the one you're looking for? Say, if you needed the cloud suit to get it or something.

Only if the level has more than one course. If it doesn't, it's irrelevant.
Pay attention to the sound and use the first-person view with the D-Pad

zigg

Nose Master said:
Man, I suck at finding
green stars
green star

Well, the way it works is this.

Green Stars are scattered throughout the original levels. You know this, of course.

Thing is, they are not all necessarily in the same original star within a galaxy. Different stars mix things up a bit.

So if Green 1 and 2 are in the first star in a galaxy, and 3 in the second, you can get either of 1 or 2 by picking Green 1 or 2, but can only get 3 by picking Green 3.

Other than that, no, it doesn't matter which you pick. Provided they're in the area you're in, you can grab any of them, you'll start in exactly the same place each time you start one.

Did that make sense? :D

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Finally, got mine too! Just 3 stars in and OMG LIFT YOUR TAIL AND SPRAY ME WITH YOUR MOLTEN GLORY!!!!!!!!!!

Regulus Tera said:
As soon as I got the Zora Tunic I never went back.

Silly macro is silly.

I know this is horribly off topic but I kinda want to see a return of the two tone tunics like the Red and Blue Mail from A Link to the Past:

Clothes3.png

Chris_Houlihan_Secret_Room.gif

Jrmint

Fantastical said:
It came today! :D 10 stars in!

I love the screw power up.
It's a drill -.-

So I just got to World 4 with 48 stars and this game is definitely starting to get difficult. The Bowser Jr boss fight in World 3 was pretty awesome though I gotta admit, and I'm usually not a Bowser Jr fan.

First galaxy I did in World 4 was Sweet Mystery (think that's what it's called), and it was definitely a message saying to me, World 4 is gonna be a big step up in difficulty. We'll see how the rest are.

Jrmint

jman2050 said:
Oh man I'm going to HATE the daredevil comet for the boulder boss, aren't I :(
The first boulder level?

It's not daredevil, you have to kill 30 crabs on this little planet in 1 minute with the rock suit.

Jrmint

There's still about 60 reviews to go, if it gets as many as Galaxy 1 which could bring it back down.

So don't hold your breath just yet.

clav

Completed final bowser last night.

Very anti-climatic. Just a series of long jumping and ground pounding.

Going to continue to
World S for all the stars. I'm already hating the purple 110 coin challenge for the ball. Is there a trick to this besides going as fast as possible?

Top Bottom