• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

phalestine

aka iby.h
Skel said:
There's still about 60 reviews to go, if it gets as many as Galaxy 1 which could bring it back down.

So don't hold your breath just yet.

they don't count all reviews towards the final average you know. only certain sites.

EzLink

Banned
This is almost becoming physically painful.

:(

I sent my Wii of on Friday. It is now Wednesday. The fucker is STILL in transit! What the hell UPS, you should know that for maximum customer satisfaction when it comes to things as urgent as a lifelong gamer needing to play the new greatest game ever, things like adding nitro boosts to your vehicles are a must. Fuck

As ridiculous as this might sound, I have developed a new irrational fear over the past couple days;
I'm honestly afraid that some random accident will happen and I will die before my Wii gets back and I can experience this

Sad and pathetic? Absolutely. But at least its bringing back those feelings of gaming obsession I haven't felt in years.

Doesn't help that the game is sitting on my computer desk, mocking me everytime I'm reading this thread :(

JRW said:
GR_Top3_5-26-10.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!
Okay Super Mario Galaxy 2. You had better floor me in ways I didn't think possible beyond where I currently am at 18 stars.

EzLink said:

I sent my Wii of on Friday. It is now Wednesday. The fucker is STILL in transit! What the hell UPS, you should know that for maximum customer satisfaction when it comes to things as urgent as a lifelong gamer needing to play the new greatest game ever, things like adding nitro boosts to your vehicles are a must. Fuck

As ridiculous as this might sound, I have developed a new irrational fear over the past couple days;
I'm honestly afraid that some random accident will happen and I will die before my Wii gets back and I can experience this

Sad and pathetic? Absolutely. But at least its bringing back those feelings of gaming obsession I haven't felt in years.

Doesn't help that the game is sitting on my computer desk, mocking me everytime I'm reading this thread :(

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

...I'm kidding. I'm sorry, seriously.

Look at the bright side: when you finally do get to play the game, at least you'll be one of the few true fans who still has yet to experience this masterpiece of gaming! :D

AHHHHHHHHH!

Only 2 more days until I get back from vacation. I don't think I've ever been this anxious to get home ON A FUCKIN BEAUTIFUL ISLAND! Might as well go para sailing or something to pass the time but I bet even that pales in comparison to this game.

cosmicblizzard said:
AHHHHHHHHH!

Only 2 more days until I get back from vacation. I don't think I've ever been this anxious to get home ON A FUCKIN BEAUTIFUL ISLAND! Might as well go para sailing or something to pass the time but I bet even that pales in comparison to this game.
Just pretend you're on Delfino Island. Then when you get home you'll realize how this blows Sunshine out of the water ;-).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
othersteve said:
Look at the bright side: when you finally do get to play the game, at least you'll be one of the few true fans who still has yet to experience this masterpiece of gaming! :D
There are true fans in Europe, too, you know ;)

Azure J

The King is dead. Long live the King!

That being said, I played like 30 - 45 minutes of this last night. I would have played more if my batteries didn't start dying on me (which lead to one of the most hilarious series of falling through space deaths I've seen in either Galaxy :lol). This game is so freaking slick. It just feels like the game hit the ground running this time around. It wasted no time getting into the swing of things and that just made it all so awesome.

By the way, the Yoshi Star Galaxy has my favorite music so far. (Only 6 stars in.)

Penguin

So been playing on and off for the past day, 45 stars in and this game is still amazing.

The true stars like in Galaxy 1 are the Prankster Comets though so good.

And thus far, only on World 4, but
SuperMAssive Galaxy star 1 was so awesome especially near the end when have you going circular through the Wiggler's home base
:D

clav

Penguin said:
So been playing on and off for the past day, 45 stars in and this game is still amazing.

The true stars like in Galaxy 1 are the Prankster Comets though so good.

And thus far, only on World 4, but
SuperMAssive Galaxy star 1 was so awesome especially near the end when have you going circular through the Wiggler's home base
:D
As for that galaxy:

Later you'll realize that long jumping will do the trick.

EzLink said:

Don't feel bad, I'm always paranoid I'm gonna get in a car accident on the way home from picking up the latest new game. Right up to when I finally played Galaxy 2, I thought I would be abducted by aliens or something :lol

And if it makes you feel better, I know how you feel. My Wii was broken and in transit with UPS and Nintendo when Galaxy 1 came out and I had to wait to play it even when I had the game on my desk. It was pretty terrible, I don't think I've ever been as hyped for a game as I was for Galaxy 1.

Anth0ny

Just got home from NYC (the launch was INSANE) and finally started playing. Orange Yoshi alone warrants this thread's title :lol

Drakken

Drakken said:
What's the best way to get star bits? Is there a particular level that's really good for getting a lot in a short amount of time? I'm stuck at 117 stars and can't do anything until I get like 1,300 more.

K, I'm just going to answer my own question. To anyone else looking to accumulate a lot of starbits in a short amount of time: The end of
Supermassive
Galaxy in world 4 (the part with the
wigglers
) is pretty good. You can use the Wiimote to grab the ~33 starbits up ahead, then jump for the 1-up mushroom and let yourself die. Since there's a checkpoint flag there you can keep repeating this till you have however many you need, then finish the level.

EDIT: The beginning of the level has ~40 star bits and a 1-up so that works too.

Assemble!

joetachi said:
Well super metroid has 8 now thats unfair

We'll never be quite able to fully compare newer and older titles because the number of outlets currently reviewing games is way more than used to....

HOWEVER, the fact Super Mario Galaxy 1 holds that close to Ocarina (with so many more reviews) says a whole lot about its quality. We'll see if SMG2 can keep it up.

JRW

Holy crap I just attempted my first
Luigi staff ghost run in the Slipsand galaxy and it was so INTENSE & FUN trying to keep up with him lol

This just adds another reason why this game is so amazing.

Nose Master

GTA4 being in 4th place ruins any sort of credibility that website has. I know it's just averages, so maybe it speaks more about reviews in general, than the specific website.

clav

Drakken said:
K, I'm just going to answer my own question. To anyone else looking to accumulate a lot of starbits in a short amount of time: The end of
Supermassive
Galaxy in world 4 (the part with the
wigglers
) is pretty good. You can use the Wiimote to grab the ~33 starbits up ahead, then jump for the 1-up mushroom and let yourself die. Since there's a checkpoint flag there you can keep repeating this till you have however many you need, then finish the level.
That stage you had to use the Mario stone rolling ball works well, too. You have to jump through lots of hurdles and break lots of crystal starbits while avoiding the rubberband fences and tight edges.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm 21 stars in. At first I felt like I was playing just cause I had such great memories of the first game, but that was probably more my ambivalence towards the Wii and having not played it in a while. First time I used the drill I got that awesome feeling again.

Also I like Comet Coins. They are like half stars. And I really like the cloud suit and the dash pepper.

GCX

I want that Yokota/Kondo Iwata Asks translated NOW.

The Miyamoto listening to the orchestra video has some serious gif. potential.

50 Stars. Just beat World 3.

So far my favorite galaxy is World 3's
Beat Block Galaxy
. Soooo good.
I want more. The more DK: Jungle Beat that makes it into Mario games is fine with me. :D

Zing

Banned
EzLink said:

I sent my Wii of on Friday. It is now Wednesday. The fucker is STILL in transit! What the hell UPS, you should know that for maximum customer satisfaction when it comes to things as urgent as a lifelong gamer needing to play the new greatest game ever, things like adding nitro boosts to your vehicles are a must.(

What is preventing you from buying a Wii, using it for 29 days, then returning it (after copying your savegame to an SD card)?

Zing

Banned
I am 40 stars in, just hit world 5.

There is starting to be too much action for my four-year-old to keep up as far as getting stars and powerups. I don't have as much time to move slowly or point out things.

The bosses are way, waaaay too easy, but I guess I expected this from a Nintendo game.

I also agree with the sentiment that there is a little too much text. Not really too much, but that it is too intrusive. Breaks the flow.

I still love the Bowser Castle theme.

Zing

Banned
darkwings said:
people still care about gamerankings?

Not since it was bought by GameSpot or whoever, and stopped being a, you know, game rankings site, where real users rated and reviewed the games instead of corporate entities.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
claviertekky said:
That stage you had to use the Mario stone rolling ball works well, too. You have to jump through lots of hurdles and break lots of crystal starbits while avoiding the rubberband fences and tight edges.

This one, definitely. I had like 350 bits by the time I got that star. It's really fast cause of all the rolling, with a very high starbit density, and there's a 1up right at the start of it. It's in world
6, first level (the lava one), second star

vazel

Banned
JRW said:
Damn hate to say it but those dots in your pics look exactly like what we see on my nephews Wii, I havent played SMG2 on it yet but Ive seen the dots in certain games, The Wii works fine otherwise.

I took a couple shots with my cellphone off my Wii, It seems my cell cam created its own dithering effects but other than that didnt notice any dots.

http://ded.zenblue.net/smassive_g.jpg
http://ded.zenblue.net/smassive_g2.jpg
Thanks for helping me out. I guess it is hardware fault related. Oh well as long as it only happens to me in that one level of SMG2 I'm not RMA'ing it.

JRW

Jeez the
World 3 Bowser prankster comet is by far the most difficult challenge Ive experienced in this game, Ive died well over 20 times lol

sweetvar26 said:
Is it better to play the game by yourself or in Co-op? Never played a Mario Galaxy game before.

coop is girlfriend mode. by no means integral to the experience, but not a bad addition if you've got someone who is watching you play.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
sweetvar26 said:
Is it better to play the game by yourself or in Co-op? Never played a Mario Galaxy game before.
You'll have a ton of fun playing two player, and tougher challenges will be a breeze.

But you'll be more embarrassed by the enormous boner you constantly have, in the presence of a friend.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I feel like we should have separate topics discussing various aspects of this game. We could have a 20-page topic just on the music, alone.

fireside

How the heck are you supposed to get the
second green star
in Bowser's Galaxy Generator

Edit: Hmm, I think I figured it out.

Blu_LED said:
What exactly is the point of the Toad bank? Does it really serve any function?

You can get 1Ups from it, and upgrade the Toad's appearance (not sure if there's to it than that though).
You can also trade them between saves.

klier

EatChildren said:
The belly dive was not in Galaxy.

How does it work?
And other than this belly dive, are the controls and mover the same as Galaxy 1?

AAAAAHHHHHGGGGG....I need this game. Stupid NOE!!!

Top Bottom