• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Skel said:
FUCK Spring Mario!

That is all.
True. Spring Mario is like Miyamoto purposefully created the worst gameplay mechanic and made an awful level just to pretend it was awesome and see if everyone else followed suit.

Skel said:
FUCK Spring Mario!

That is all.
:lol

It's really frustrating, but in a good way. I dunno, I enjoy how annoying and awful it is :lol

Also, sometimes I find myself dying when I play as Luigi, and I just laugh it off and try again, but if I had been playing as Mario, I would have been very frustrated. I guess I just find it funny how Luigi has bad luck and I'll accidentally walk into a Goomba and then the Goomba will push my limp body into a blackhole. :p

Jrmint

Dacvak said:
True. Spring Mario is like Miyamoto purposefully created the worst gameplay mechanic and made an awful level just to pretend it was awesome and see if everyone else followed suit.
First time I played it was in the second star in the Chompworks Galaxy, I hope I never have to see it again.

I probably died 10 times on that second section where you have to jump over all the Chomps with it since I could never get to work at the moment I needed it. That is the only time I have raged in this game 56 stars in. I hope it never shows up again.

klier

...or you just suck at it?

I love spring Mario. One of the best Mario power ups there is in fact! It's rather difficult, but it's awesome once you 'get' it :)

Ok, that's it for me in this thread for a week or so. I'll be back a few days before EU launch, don't want to get spoiled too much :lol

Jrmint

klier said:
...or you just suck at it?
I'm aware that I suck at it, but judging from the other posts in regards to it, it is not just me who sucks at it.

That makes it more a shitty game mechanic than shitty execution.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It is a shitty game mechanic. It's laughably bad. It's not a matter of "getting it" or not... I'm fine at it. In fact, I beat 120 stars in Galaxy 2 without dying more than 4 times on any given stage.

Spring Mario is just has poor gameplay, especially in the 2Dish sections. The lack of any good directional influence makes him feel like shit.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Now, some people might enjoy shit. That might be your thing. That's fine. In fact, I don't really mind how awful it controls, because it was clearly done like that on purpose. That doesn't change the fact that's it's awful.

Preemptive strike on fanboys: This game is a 10/10 in my book.

loosus

Banned
So far, I like that the game has (attempted) to be faster pace than the first Galaxy.

The biggest two flaws of this game: the stupid faceship (and even worse, all the shitty times you need to go back to it for something worthless) and all the talking from the non-playable games. Really, get rid of all the Toads, all the little wood people, etc. I am tired of seeing text bubbles on my screen. Too many shitty friends never made a game fun. Learn from Sega's mistakes, Nintendo, without committing them yourself.

I can tell there was a power struggle within the group at Nintendo between those who wanted a dumb-fuck storyline and those who had sense enough to know that it does not appeal to anybody but the furries. You can tell because while they got rid of some cutscenes and whatnot, it was almost made up for by text bubbles. So that was their crappy compromise. Non-story people at Nintendo: go the fucking goal next time. Don't relent.

Also, there are some other little niggles that I don't like. For example, the World Map -- for all its glory in place of a full-on hub world -- is illogically designed in some ways. Why are there warp pipes on the World Map that really serve zero purpose? The accumulation of little things like that can be grating when you already don't have a hell of a lot of time to be playing the damn game.

For now, I'd give the game a solid 8 out of 10. It's no New Super Mario Bros., but it's definitely better than the first Galaxy. I hope Nintendo can finally get it straight in the next 3D Mario game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dacvak said:
It is a shitty game mechanic. It's laughably bad. It's not a matter of "getting it" or not... I'm fine at it. In fact, I beat 120 stars in Galaxy 2 without dying more than 4 times on any given stage.

Spring Mario is just has poor gameplay, especially in the 2Dish sections. The lack of any good directional influence makes him feel like shit.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Now, some people might enjoy shit. That might be your thing. That's fine. In fact, I don't really mind how awful it controls, because it was clearly done like that on purpose. That doesn't change the fact that's it's awful.

Preemptive strike on fanboys: This game is a 10/10 in my book.

lol. Its pretty simple once you get the movement and rhythm of the spring down. It works liked you'd expect, assuming you dont completely suck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
loosus said:
So far, I like that the game has (attempted) to be faster pace than the first Galaxy.

The biggest two flaws of this game: the stupid faceship (and even worse, all the shitty times you need to go back to it for something worthless) and all the talking from the non-playable games. Really, get rid of all the Toads, all the little wood people, etc. I am tired of seeing text bubbles on my screen. Too many shitty friends never made a game fun. Learn from Sega's mistakes, Nintendo, without committing them yourself.

I can tell there was a power struggle within the group at Nintendo between those who wanted a dumb-fuck storyline and those who had sense enough to know that it does not appeal to anybody but the furries. You can tell because while they got rid of some cutscenes and whatnot, it was almost made up for by text bubbles. So that was their crappy compromise. Non-story people at Nintendo: go the fucking goal next time. Don't relent.

Also, there are some other little niggles that I don't like. For example, the World Map -- for all its glory in place of a full-on hub world -- is illogically designed in some ways. Why are there warp pipes on the World Map that really serve zero purpose? The accumulation of little things like that can be grating when you already don't have a hell of a lot of time to be playing the damn game.

For now, I'd give the game a solid 8 out of 10. It's no New Super Mario Bros., but it's definitely better than the first Galaxy. I hope Nintendo can finally get it straight in the next 3D Mario game.

Christ there is barely any text. Even the worst ADD sufferer would have the patience to sit through 2-3 seconds of text that you often dont even need to press A to see. And lol at the Sonic comparison.

loosus

Banned
HK-47 said:
Christ there is barely any text. Even the worst ADD sufferer would have the patience to sit through 2-3 seconds of text that you often dont even need to press A to see. And lol at the Sonic comparison.
There's lot of text. Get off GAF and actually play the game.

HK-47 said:
lol. Its pretty simple once you get the movement and rhythm of the spring down. It works liked you'd expect, assuming you dont completely suck.

Yeah, you definitely need to get a rhythm going. And you gotta be much more subtle on the control stick. It also helps to keep Mario bouncing in controlled vertical motions before you make a giant leap, because you cannot turn around quickly at all.

I think it's fun.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Most of it is tips and tricks for people who dont game a lot. 3D mario is more complex. And you rarely have to talk to the toad bridage. They are more like a line of bread crumbs that help the player know they are going in the right direction or give tips about what to do. You can run right past them most of the time.

loosus said:

I don't understand how the hub ship and story can really bother people so much. The story and text are minimal, and can dismissed quickly. The faceship takes up very little time. Being annoyed by the presence of a warp pipe is more bizarre, who cares if it does nothing? Even if you have 10 minutes to play it , using the warp pipe doesn't take much longer than just moving in a straight line does in this game.

Should we just have a menu? Select your level and go? No characters at all? How about we just make the whole game one texture so it will load faster? You're taking nitpicking to the extreme.

Zing

Banned
vazel said:
Thanks for helping me out. I guess it is hardware fault related. Oh well as long as it only happens to me in that one level of SMG2 I'm not RMA'ing it.

I went back and checked that level up close. There is a pattern on the blocks if you zoom in using the first person view. I can't see it on my Sony 50" rear projection LCD during normal play, but if I look really hard and zoom it, it is clearly part of the block texture.

Maybe this is what you are seeing? Maybe your TV's upscaling is causing artifacts with this particular pattern (it's an even spread of dots/squares across the whole texture).

loosus

Banned
Should we just have a menu? Select your level and go? No characters at all?
That'd be rocking. Can't understand the obsession with Nintendo characters.

Maybe they should make it optional right from the beginning. Like, the game asks your age, and if it's over 12, they take out all the extraneous stuff. It'd be awesome.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I had just read the complaints about spring Mario, then I booted up the game. The next star for me was, of course, the second in the
Chompworks
galaxy, and I had a lot of fun with it.

kman3000

loosus said:

The fuck?

Zing

Banned
For those who may complain about the warp pipes and navigating around the world map in general... here is a secret. You can just point at and click the galaxy you want to reach and the game automatically moves you along the correct path to get there.

And I thought the "can just hold right to travel across the map, unlike every other Mario game" fix in NSMB Wii was great. This point and click thing completely eliminates the problem!

loosus said:

Maybe they should make it optional right from the beginning. Like, the game asks your age, and if it's over 12, they take out all the extraneous stuff. It'd be awesome.

giving-the-finger.jpg

WillyFive

loosus said:

And if you are over 17, put them back in.

Drakken

Got 120 stars! I feel like this is a significant accomplishment. Now moving on to
green stars
. I probably won't go at as fast a pace as I was before. Getting 120 stars in just a little over 3 days is way more than I'm used to gaming.

I never got that wow feeling that most people seem to be experiencing. With SMG 1 it was a totally new experience so being wowed was natural; this was like a bunch more cool ideas but the wow factor was gone. Still a fantastic game, no doubt. I have to admit I didn't get as much fun out of this as I expected. It felt like I was kind of going through the motions to get all the stars rather than enjoying it. Maybe that's indicative of something... like, playing a platformer just isn't as much fun for me as it used to be.

Also gotta say the music never caught me like the original's did. I know some people (i.e. Bowie) said the second half of the game has lots of amazing tunes, but I didn't notice a difference. I can hum most of the tunes from the first game, but probably couldn't remember more than one or two (if that) from this one.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i can say with 100% certainty that there is nothing more hilarious and awesome than blasting through the air on a dinosaur's back while watching a volcano explode in the background.

BowieZ

Banned
Drakken said:
Also gotta say the music never caught me like the original's did. I know some people (i.e. Bowie) said the second half of the game has lots of amazing tunes, but I didn't notice a difference. I can hum most of the tunes from the first game, but probably couldn't remember more than one or two (if that) from this one.
Give it 2½ years and you may feel the same as you did about the 2007 soundtrack. ;-)
I didn't like Gusty Garden when I first heard it, I thought it was a musical "mess" how fucked is that
But in all fairness, I have no idea how prevalent the music is in the gaming experience... I was only going by what I heard on that MahitoYokota channel.

pakkit

Banned
I love Yoshicide.

1. Jump into the void
2. Backflip off of Yoshi onto platform
3. ???
4. Profit

Cool little things I noticed:

- You can still make your profile select Mii dizzy by spinning him/her around quickly (just like Galaxy 1)
- As BrandNew said, you're lighter with the Cloud Suit, so with Luigi and the Cloud Suit it is possible to go from Toad's ship and fall into the Mario Starship's gravity
- When you select your profile, a drum beat is added to the menu music
- Before the Tree Trunk Galaxy, some the Weedles or whatever the fuck they're called diss Luigi, and then if you become Luigi and talk to them they still question you to your face. "You are brave?" :lol

Its no new super mario wii comment :lol :lol

Text really shouldn't bother you and its not even forced.

My only complaints so far is

The music - at world 5 and a couple were epic
small stars- Clean trash , whack a mole... and reach the tiny goal.

Other than that.. the platforming is on another level this game. :D

Top Bottom