• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Busaiku

I've been noticing a couple bugs in various levels.
Not too many, but that's definitely more than I experienced in Super Mario Galaxy.

Definitely a shame, but it's still a great game.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Wow. Took me half the game to figure out that you can do a homing stomp, and that was by accident. Was that in the first one?

(For anyone that is wondering, it is spin in the air, and then buttstomp.)

Oh yeah, and put me in the "I like Spring Mario" camp.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AniHawk said:
It had more and for some reason, gamerankings removed them. It used to be 98.something%.

what was the 1998 equivalent of a blog that, in twelve years, would be something gamerankings would feel shame for including and eliminate from the score? nintendowhoaaaa.com?

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
what was the 1998 equivalent of a blog that, in twelve years, would be something gamerankings would feel shame for including and eliminate from the score? nintendowhoaaaa.com?
i think nintendojo's still counted.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
beelzebozo said:

I think they removed a review from Cubed3.com

BowieZ said:
I guess you mean you're "at world 5 and only a couple so far were epic"? Which?

nope and I'm a music guy too.

Cosmic cove
Fluffy fluf
Tall tree
Koopa road
Space Station Galaxy 1
Puzzle plank
Hurry!

I may have forgotten a couple

Everything else is meh.. nothing epic as Buoy base , space junk ..battle-rock, Astral Observatory. Gusty garden... Ghostly. The list goes on.

my 11 year old son and i started a game.. We played the first night for about 2.5 hours before taking a break we ended up with like 13 stars.. the next day we cranked it up a notch and got around 25.. now he's back in school so i'm playing myself and i'm up to 40 stars and about to embarked into world 5 :p

Awesome game so far! The levels are perfect length. I really like the flags mini save points that weren't in the previous games.. It satisfying knowing when you beat an extreamly tough or annoying part you're done with it, as long as you have the men to finish the level.

I loved mario galaxy 1 as well.. But i'm going to say this is a better game.. once the dust settles is when you really know. of course the new fresh game is better now.

P.s Can't wait for E-3~

vazel

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
BACKLASH BEGIN
TheCardPlayer said:
I wouldn't call, one retard, a backlash just yet. :lol
FANBOY LYNCHING BEGIN
argh.gif

Retard? Really? As a rule I usually don't criticize a game in the first month when hype is strong as I find that I always get lynched. Not that I have any criticisms for SMG2, well maybe except how Lubba talks to you after you get new stars. Also Luigi talking to you after you play as him. All that talking slows things down.

Luigison

I didn't see the point of P2 in SMG, but now that my daughter is nearly four and thoroughly enjoying SMG2 with me I think that P2 is perfect. Thanks to this and Nick Jr. DS games I'm helping raise another video gamer the same way my stepfather did with me and Square SNES games. (the child constantly telling the father what to do next and giving praise like, "you did it daddy") Good times.

vazel said:
FANBOY LYNCHING BEGIN
argh.gif

Retard? Really? As a rule I usually don't criticize a game in the first month when hype is strong as I find that I always get lynched. Not that I have any criticisms for SMG2, well maybe except how Lubba talks to you after you get new stars. Also Luigi talking to you after you play as him. All that talking slows things down.
Calling loosus a retard is not limited to this thread. It is like a coming of age thing. Loosus is a retard in a thread, someone calls him a retard, then bam, puberty.

vazel

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Calling loosus a retard is not limited to this thread. It is like a coming of age thing. Loosus is a retard in a thread, someone calls him a retard, then bam, puberty.
The guy didn't look like he was trying to be funny. He was sharing his criticisms. Thecardplayer has been banned so looks like a mod took offense too.

The game is universally praised and sure to sell very well, I don't see why some have to be insecure when a minority of people don't like the game as much as most of us do.

Just remember though, as common as there is the situation that people will act contrived or forced to "overhype" or praise a game, there will those that do the opposite.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zing said:
Oh shit.

Press the - or + button on P2 controller during the game.

:lol
or the d-pad buttons. makes P2 be instantly hilarious.

fernoca

Just leave the whole retard thing anyway..the guy that called him that was already banned, so there's no need to continue dragging that .

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
AniHawk said:
It had more and for some reason, gamerankings removed them. It used to be 98.something%.
They removed a few reviews that were linkdead. From Archive/2000, 36 reviews, 99% (this was before they added the decimals, and they counted the Nintendojo review as 110%).

Many complain that games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time don't have enough reviews. Consider the size of the market when these games launched, there were fewer online sites reviewing, there were many more magazines, etc. As games get more massive and are covered by more media, in 10 years we will be seeing 150-200 reviews and complaining that Galaxy 2 had only 80 reviews.

Personally I think Galaxy will end above Zelda. If there is anything going against it is that, when Zelda was reviewed, these sites did not exist (or didn't have the importance they have today). Therefore, they poured their perspective without thinking in other sites. Nowadays many reviewers check how their scores matches the media, and score above or below. Some sites (GamesAlmighty for example) scored Galaxy 1 at 8.7 to get page hits, and after a couple of weeks they raised it to 9.0 (a note that wouldn't have generated as many hits and rage as something lower).

I don't like Metacritic, since it doesn't use a formula (like Gamerankings) to convert scores, plus they include reviews from places that are either biased or too "casual" for the topic. However, no game will ever remove Zelda from the top, as 99% is just too high. And yes, people still care about these sites (let's remember companies pay bonuses for bigger scores to developers, and certain developers force people to review their games better than others).

neoism

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
This game is incredible... :O I only liked MG1 Jesus Christ I just got on Yoshi, the motherfucker, is so awesome. This game is the best 3d Mario game ever, and I just started an hour ago.:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Busaiku said:
I've been noticing a couple bugs in various levels.
Not too many, but that's definitely more than I experienced in Super Mario Galaxy.

Definitely a shame, but it's still a great game.

I haven't noticed any bugs but I have noticed some slowdown in framerate, which never happened to me in Galaxy 1.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you guys rate the 120 star bonus???
If Luigi in Galaxy 1 was say, a 7 or an 8 (I.e cool, but not mindblowing), then the bonus in this game is supposed to rank from about an 8 at the beginning, quickly ramping up to an 11

The_Technomancer said:
If Luigi in Galaxy 1 was say, a 7 or an 8 (I.e cool, but not mindblowing), then the bonus in this game is supposed to rank from about an 8 at the beginning, quickly ramping up to an 11

I refuse to look at spoilers but it's tough.

I'm at around 100 stars.

The_Technomancer said:
That's a big woo hoo!

Peterthumpa

neoism said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
This game is incredible... :O I only liked MG1 Jesus Christ I just got on Yoshi, the motherfucker, is so awesome. This game is the best 3d Mario game ever, and I just started an hour ago.:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol

zigg

Andrex said:
I'd take Spring Mario over Fluzzard or cleaning stars any day.

Your Fluzzard hate is unwarranted. Got over a small learning curve and started flying the shit out of that bird. Feels great, too.

It's all in the tilt.

The one thing I haven't mastered is Star 242. Blew 30 lives and the scant time I had tonight trying. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive!

FSLink

Banned
fernoca said:
It sends.."noises" to the remote-speaker of the first player.. ;p ...1up noises..coin noises..applause....and a few more..
Haha, that's pretty awesome. Haven't noticed it since I always turn the speaker all the way low.

789shadow

Banned
I didn't do so well on Fluzzard, but that's probably because I couldn't find a good place to sit. :p
Anyway, this game is the shit. It's sooooo awesome.

Keys to Fluzzard:

1. You are gliding, not flying. Do not expect to gain air easily.
2. Drop the nunchuck and grab the Wii remote with both hands. One wrist doesn't move with the full 360 degree movement you'd like.
3. If you have to go low, gently go down, don't swoop.

Netto-kun

Picked up the game, registered the game used my Nintendo Points for the SMG2 OST from Japanese Club Nintendo. 6 stars in and having way too much fun. Must.not.skip.class. (Even though I only have one class today) :lol

Jasoco

Banned
I can't figure out how to get the secret star in
Honeybloom Galaxy
. Any ideas? I'll keep looking, but I can't find a path.

Bentendo

Jasoco said:
I can't figure out how to get the secret star in
Honeybloom Galaxy
. Any ideas? I'll keep looking, but I can't find a path.

If I'm right, right before you see the first bee worker, there's a swing. Use the swing and when you peak to the right, wall jump up. I HOPE it helps!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
Keys to Fluzzard:

1. You are gliding, not flying. Do not expect to gain air easily.
2. Drop the nunchuck and grab the Wii remote with both hands. One wrist doesn't move with the full 360 degree movement you'd like.
3. If you have to go low, gently go down, don't swoop.

I know all these.

The controls are still terrible. Tolerable, but terrible.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
120 stars, will take it slow from here onwards. The harder ones were ace, loved dying, trying again and feeling I was getting better and better. The ones that I thought would be frustrating to get in the stages that control differently (bird, ball, etc) ended up being fun too.

BowieZ

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
nope and I'm a music guy too.

Cosmic cove
Fluffy fluf
Tall tree
Koopa road
Space Station Galaxy 1
Puzzle plank
Hurry!

I may have forgotten a couple

Everything else is meh.. nothing epic as Buoy base , space junk ..battle-rock, Astral Observatory. Gusty garden... Ghostly. The list goes on.
Sorry, I was just confused by how you phrased it. (You originally said: "a criticism I have is that there are epic pieces of music." :p)

But I still don't understand -- if all those pieces you listed are epic, then that's more than was epic from SMG1, right? Or do you feel there are varying degrees of epic?

In my opinion:

SMG2 music > SMG1 music

Cosmic Cove > Space Junk
Starship Mario > Comet Observatory
Bowser's Galaxy Generator = Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
Final Bowser Battle > Final Bowser Battle
Credits > Credits
Space Station (slight) < Buoy Base
Sky Station 1 > Good Egg
Sky Station 2 > Battlerock
Fluffy Bluff (slightly) < Gusty Garden
Starshine Beach < Beach Bowl
Slipsand >> Dusty Dune
Title > Title
Spin-Dig > SMG1's shitty second-tier synth themes like Bigmouth/Teardrop/Deep Dark, etc
Honeybloom >> Honeyhive
Haunty Halls/Hightail Falls/Throwback >> Sweet Sweet/other remixes etc
Bowser's Lava Lair >> Bowser's Dark Matter Plant

Nicktals

Banned
I think Fluzzard is the new rolling ball.

It controls excellently, and is a lot of fun...yet for some reason gets hated on by some very vocal people, who I'm convinced just aren't controlling it properly.

Not once did I lose a race with fluzzard. It was simple, intuitive, and fun.

Okay, it took me a couple tries to get the comet coins, because I didn't figure out how to get them until the 3rd try :lol

Bentendo

Nicktals said:
I think Fluzzard is the new rolling ball.

It controls excellently, and is a lot of fun...yet for some reason gets hated on by some very vocal people, who I'm convinced just aren't controlling it properly.

Not once did I lose a race with fluzzard. It was simple, intuitive, and fun.

Okay, it took me a couple tries to get the comet coins, because I didn't figure out how to get them until the 3rd try :lol

Agreed 100%. Not a single time did I loose one of the missions. The only time I had to restart was when I accidentally missed the Comet Coin but even then I went through all of the gates. Really fun and not too hard if you know how to control it.

BowieZ said:
Sorry, I was just confused by how you phrased it. (You originally said: "a criticism I have is that there are epic pieces of music." :p)

But I still don't understand -- if all those pieces you listed are epic, then that's more than was epic from SMG1, right? Or do you feel there are varying degrees of epic?

In my opinion:

SMG2 music > SMG1 music

Cosmic Cove > Space Junk Agreed
Starship Mario > Comet Observatory Still debating
Bowser's Galaxy Generator = Bowser's Galaxy Reactor Agreed
Final Bowser Battle > Final Bowser Battle Not sure yet
Credits > Credits Agreed
Space Station (slight) < Buoy Base Agreed
Sky Station 1 > Good Egg Nope , good egg is terrible and overated.
Sky Station 2 > Battlerock Absolutely not
Fluffy Bluff (slightly) < Gusty Garden Yep
Starshine Beach < Beach Bowl Yep
Slipsand >> Dusty Dune Yep
Title > Title I prefer the moody atmosphere on the first
Spin-Dig > SMG1's shitty second-tier synth themes like Bigmouth/Teardrop/Deep Dark, etc both sucked
Honeybloom >> Honeyhive Same thing , both are meh
Haunty Halls/Hightail Falls/Throwback >> Sweet Sweet/other remixes etc Agreed
Bowser's Lava Lair >> Bowser's Dark Matter Plant
Yup

Top Bottom