• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Doorman

Nicktals said:
I think Fluzzard is the new rolling ball.

It controls excellently, and is a lot of fun...yet for some reason gets hated on by some very vocal people, who I'm convinced just aren't controlling it properly.

Not once did I lose a race with fluzzard. It was simple, intuitive, and fun.

Okay, it took me a couple tries to get the comet coins, because I didn't figure out how to get them until the 3rd try :lol
Actually...I think the rolling ball is still the rolling ball. Just as awesome as it ever was.

Fluzzard to me is...okay, but not great. I think part of it comes from me having a natural idea of how to control him and how that differs from the way the game wants me to do it. Does anybody else agree that it would have made a lot more sense to control his left/right movement by moving it that way cursor-wise, rather than tilting like the manta surfing? I find myself doing it a lot anyway, as though the front of the Wii-mote is the nose of the bird. That and my difficulty in managing speed has made the second Fluzzard location a bitch and a half for me, despite getting through the first level without much trouble.

Tomorrow I plan to "beat the game"....and then I have a long way to go before actually beating the game. My only regret so far is having no idea why the comet for the Flip-Swap Galaxy hasn't appeared yet...I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything from it.

Jasoco

Banned
Bentendo said:
If I'm right, right before you see the first bee worker, there's a swing. Use the swing and when you peak to the right, wall jump up. I HOPE it helps!
Ah! Thanks! That's where it was. And god dammit. It took me a hundred tries before I realized I was supposed to spin before reaching the wall to get higher. Funny I actually made it up to the star piece alcove on the 5th try, but then couldn't do it again until I realized spinning was what I was supposed to do. D'OH! :lol 28 second record for that star now. :D

Okay, here's my opinion:
Spring Mario: Frustrating if you need to go in a straight path and time jumps (Like the one level he was used in here)
Fire Mario: Should have had point and shoot, but really good
Cloud Mario: A dream. The 3 cloud limit only keeps you from exploring. Would be neat if it unlocked infinite clouds when you beat the game with 120 stars or something
Bee Mario: As usual, adorable in the small amount of uses they give you. Limited flight once again keeps you from exploring too far
Drill Mario: So awesome. I love it.
Ghost Mario: I dunno. He's fine, but underused
Boulder Mario: Sooooo awesome. I love it more!

Yoshi: About time they figured out how to use him right!

Fluzzard: Fine if you're not trying to race. Fuck races. FUCK THEM IN THE EAR!
Chimp: Hit and miss. Those points challenges are harder the second time. But the balloon popping was easy.

Did I miss any?

The_Technomancer said:
If Luigi in Galaxy 1 was say, a 7 or an 8 (I.e cool, but not mindblowing), then the bonus in this game is supposed to rank from about an 8 at the beginning, quickly ramping up to an 11

oh shit

so I shouldn't feel bad at how quickly I'm approaching 120? i'm at like 94 right now and you're making me wanna shift into high gear, rather than pace myself like I've been doing

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ, Final Bowser Battle had better be really fracking good, I nominated SMG1's in GAF's ultimate music poll. One of my favorite pieces of videogame music of all time.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
50 Stars in and no Purple coins in sight!

The flow to this game is incredible; I can just with the game and get into a rhythm. I was so delirious last night I was completing levels and not remembering quite what happened. I'll have to replay the honeybee galaxy sometime :D

I would have to say this game is already better than SMG 1 to me, just because of the awesome flow. No annoying hub world, and awesome powerups in almost every level so far. I can see myself coming back to this game for years to come, the way I did with Super Mario 64. That never happened to me with Galaxy.

Andrex said:
BowieZ, Final Bowser Battle had better be really fracking good, I nominated SMG1's in GAF's ultimate music poll. One of my favorite pieces of videogame music of all time.

Oh, thank goodness, I thought at first you were talking about the actual battle...

Question for those that have gotten 120 stars.

How did you guys end up getting
the second green star
in Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet? I used Mario, but I wasn't very satisfied with how I did it. How I did it:
Jump on the question mark block, do a side jump and spin at the apex. Apparently side jumps get more height than back flips, so I guess I learned that.

The Youtube video I watched used Luigi which seems even less satisfying.

Neither of those seem like that proper way to do it. Anyone have any alternate methods?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
It’s refreshing to see some of the traditionally tougher critics handing out the 100’s while the less trusted sources are turning in 90’s. Just reaffirms which sources know games and which don’t.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nicktals said:
I think Fluzzard is the new rolling ball.

It controls excellently, and is a lot of fun...yet for some reason gets hated on by some very vocal people, who I'm convinced just aren't controlling it properly.

Not once did I lose a race with fluzzard. It was simple, intuitive, and fun.

Okay, it took me a couple tries to get the comet coins, because I didn't figure out how to get them until the 3rd try :lol

I beat the race on my first try and also the world 5 level on my first try, but it was really annoying to navigate and I'm guessing I'll have to do a race there, which will probably be a bitch. I never had an issue with the ball, I feel the fact you use the motion to balance makes the close calls even better, but with the bird I would just rather control it without motion.

World 5 is mindblowingly awesome so far, I like the jump in complexity here.

Gouty said:
It’s refreshing to see some of the traditionally tougher critics handing out the 100’s while the less trusted sources are turning in 90’s. Just reaffirms which sources know games and which don’t.

I won't rate the game but it's undeniably a mid 9 to 10.

While it's not perfect, it's as good as it gets for this genre though while not short, it leaves you wanting much more.

The only problem I have is the difficulty, most of it was rather easy but it's not really a huge blemish.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy hell at
Throwback Galaxy
. I mean... wow....................................

Andrex said:
Holy hell at
Throwback Galaxy
. I mean... wow....................................

ahahahahaha, I knew what your spoiler tag was before I checked it out.

I didn't expect that one and I am glad no videos I saw spoiled it, I might have gotten lucky.

Jasoco

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Oh, thank goodness, I thought at first you were talking about the actual battle...
The Final Battle music is amazing.
Sadly the battle is too short to hear it.

Joey Fox said:
50 Stars in and no Purple coins in sight.
I don't wanna tell him. Anyone wanna tell him?

Jasoco said:

I just compare it to New Super Mario Brothers Wii as far an end battle and well, you know how that goes but I like this game better though it's apples and oranges.

fireside

Jasoco said:
It amazes me how absolutely terrible the Bowser battles still are compared to all the imagination that goes into the other boss battles. Thank god the Bowser stages are awesome.

Masked Man

I said wow
Andrex said:

As it were,
it's an amalgamation of the SMG1 Final Battle and NSMBWii Final Battle
. :D

52 stars in... god damn... just an incredible, joyous experience. I'm still not highlighting any spoiler text in this thread though!

I love the new suits, and Yoshi is great too. Only suit I don't like is still Bee Mario, but mostly because the levels using it are my least favorite.

I am SO GLAD they brought back Spring Mario. It's such a fun power up, and it controls perfectly... I wish it was used in a few more levels, but in the ones I've used it in I've had a blast.

That and Cloud Mario are the best.

Only thing that bothered me this whole time was another goddamn trash star :lol I actually had more trouble with the
fireflower box destruction
than I had with the bomb one from the first game.

Jasoco

Banned
Andrex said:
What, that purple coins and overall progression are handled much much better in this game? :D
No, that all the purple coins in this one are pretty much mini-LPC's. I mean purple coins is one thing, but TIMED ones is just torture. Just take away the fucking time limit and it's hard enough.

One of them was easy though. The one
with the Shadow Mario's
. But
Flip-Swap
.. Now that's a pain in the ass! But I did get up to 60! So far... And those ones on the
slide
? God dammit, the
slide
was impossible enough WITHOUT the coins!

You know what bugs me though is that they are all named Prankster Comets. At least they could give a hint as to what to expect. Seems all the later ones are coin ones! Except for the awesome one-hit robot battle with Jr. I just had. Took me a few tries but I loved it.

BowieZ

Banned
Andrex said:
Then there's also "Ending," "Credits" and "Epilogue" as well as a certain map theme.........

hatchx

Banned
I'm 65 stars in, I've only seen Spring Mario once, and my little brother told me it's easier to do the level without it. It was.

Spring Mario is cool, I just have difficulty timing the big jump. You have to tap 'A' like exactly when he lands.

ccbfan

Finished the game with minimal stars so i can use Luigi on all the levels to get all the ghost runs. The final boss was pretty disappointing for such a great game. So far boss fights in general are probably the weakest part of this game.

A couple things about the ghosts for those trying to get all of them. There's a ghost for every star it seems. Even the minigames, comets, secret stars. Sadly though the ghost does not necessarily do the task. Getting a secret star does not have a ghost go the secret path. He just goes the regular path. Also a ghost of the boss fights just lays down and does nothing.

Also anyone else find themselves so much better with Luigi than Mario. Its probably because I 120 starred SMG with Luigi a few months ago but I'm destroying this game when I use Luigi. Mario I'm all slow and crap but with Luigi it looks like I freaking doing a speed run. Continuous long jumps every where with minimal stopping. Just feels so natural to me.

Mike M

Nick N
So far I'm only up to World 3. My only gripe with this game so far would be I didn't really like how they rolled out the Prankster Comets. I don't know why they waited as long as they did to introduce them, and given my desire to fully complete any given galaxy as much as possible before moving on I would up taking on like what, more than a half dozen Comet levels back to back to back once they started showing up?

I know I didn't *have* to do it that way. I'm sure it would have been less aggravating. I can blow through most regular levels without a whole lot of trouble, but I always end up blowing through a ton of lives trying to get through comet levels with time limits (FUCK the one with the Spinys, that took me WAY too many tries)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ccbfan said:
Finished the game with minimal stars so i can use Luigi on all the levels to get all the ghost runs. The final boss was pretty disappointing for such a great game. So far boss fights in general are probably the weakest part of this game.

A couple things about the ghosts for those trying to get all of them. There's a ghost for every star it seems. Even the minigames, comets, secret stars. Sadly though the ghost does not necessarily do the task. Getting a secret star does not have a ghost go the secret path. He just goes the regular path. Also a ghost of the boss fights just lays down and does nothing.

Also anyone else find themselves so much better with Luigi than Mario. Its probably because I 120 starred SMG with Luigi a few months ago but I'm destroying this game when I use Luigi. Mario I'm all slow and crap but with Luigi it looks like I freaking doing a speed run. Continuous long jumps every where with minimal stopping. Just feels so natural to me.

EAD Tokyo seems to have a problem with bosses. SMG were mostly lame as well or too short.

bridegur

As much as I love this game, the fire flower demonstrates perfectly what a mess waggle controls can be, especially on the sand monster boss. Incredibly frustrating.

Arthrus

You know what I like about spring Mario? I like that it's 100% optional in that one stage. The last few jumps are incredibly tricky, of course, but I did it! :D

Now as for Fluzzard... I can't find
the 2nd green star in both stages. Anyone got 'em?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bridegur said:
As much as I love this game, the fire flower demonstrates perfectly what a mess waggle controls can be, especially on the sand monster boss. Incredibly frustrating.

Fire Flower is my least favorite power up in both games. Rapid fireballing just isnt suited to waggle I think.

ccbfan said:

Luigi does his usual thing in this game, stylin' all over Mario

Memles

Jasoco said:
with the Shadow Mario's
. But
Flip-Swap
.. Now that's a pain in the ass! But I did get up to 60! So far... And those ones on the
slide
? God dammit, the
slide

I thought I was really going to hate the two you complain about here, but I managed to get through them without entirely pulling my hair out earlier today.

Loving the hell out of the game, just wishing I didn't have a conference paper to write in the next few weeks that I should really get started on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
HK-47 said:
Fire Flower is my least favorite power up in both games. Rapid fireballing just isnt suited to waggle I think.

Same. It's also accompanied by the only music in the game I don't like.

pakkit

Banned
SMG bosses were lame save Bouldergeist.

SMG 2's bosses were much better. There were a couple of lame ducks, but still, there were more and the variety was better.

bridegur

HK-47 said:

The worst thing about it is that the B button would be perfect for it and it goes unused. MADDENING.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
No, that all the purple coins in this one are pretty much mini-LPC's. I mean purple coins is one thing, but TIMED ones is just torture. Just take away the fucking time limit and it's hard enough.

with the Shadow Mario's
. But
Flip-Swap
slide
? God dammit, the
slide

You know what bugs me though is that they are all named Prankster Comets. At least they could give a hint as to what to expect. Seems all the later ones are coin ones! Except for the awesome one-hit robot battle with Jr. I just had. Took me a few tries but I loved it.

Flip Swap
was about on par with Luigi's Purple Coins in the first, but the one I'm having trouble with is the
one with Dash Pepper Yoshi.
I'm sure I'll get it eventually but it's the only star that's "defeated" me in these two games, making me skip it. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pakkit said:
SMG bosses were lame save Bouldergeist.

SMG 2's bosses were much better. There were a couple of lame ducks, but still, there were more and the variety was better.

Eh, no. SMG1's were just as great too. And on top of that, I don't like the majority of the new bosses' designs - they feel either too Sonic or too DKC.

Andrex said:
Eh, no. SMG1's were just as great too. And on top of that, I don't like the majority of the new bosses' designs - they feel either too Sonic or too DKC.

I don't disagree, but which bosses did you find DKC-ish in particular?

(The cog galaxy looks like something straight out of DKC1, I noticed.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RawkHawk2010 said:
I don't disagree, but which bosses did you find DKC-ish in particular?

(The cog galaxy looks like something straight out of DKC1, I noticed.)

The one that really stood out as DKC for me was the
dragon/fire dragon.
I forget what the other bosses were outside of Bowser Jr.'s mechs. I don't really like that they recycled like half the bosses.

Is there a pic for SMG2 that's like this?

3534k1y.jpg

Finished with 106 Stars :D

Still going at it, gotta get everything....

Bowser Stages are awesome in design but I wish the fights were a bit better.

So good.

Wait, the final boss is still short and easy? Good god Nintendo. Why do we have these exceptionally challenging levels all over the damn place but final battles that can be beaten without any hassle? I just don't get it. The final boss in the first Galaxy was my only problem with the game. Sounds like this will be a repeat.

The Hermit

People who like Spring Mario are high... for some reason he seems harder to control than in SMG.

Anyway, besides all the good part I already mentioned about this game earlier, it also feautures 3 new very awesome power-ups, including CLoud Mario which could be possibily Mario's best powerup since the feather.

Proving how holy this game is again :D!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
The one that really stood out as DKC for me was the
dragon/fire dragon.
I forget what the other bosses were outside of Bowser Jr.'s mechs. I don't really like that they recycled like half the bosses.

Is there a pic for SMG2 that's like this?

3534k1y.jpg

The most epic image.

Top Bottom