• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Andrex said:
The one that really stood out as DKC for me was the
dragon/fire dragon.
I forget what the other bosses were outside of Bowser Jr.'s.

Is there a pic for SMG2 that's like this?

smgalaxy-header.jpg

I'd agree with that. If you've played DK: Jungle Climber, there is a
dragon boss who Gobblegut looks extremely similar too.

Oh, and
Fluzzard vs. Jibberjay. Was I the only one reminded of the Squawks vs. Screech race from DKC2?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RawkHawk2010 said:
I'd agree with that. If you've played DK: Jungle Climber, there is a
dragon boss who Gobblegut looks extremely similar too.

Oh, and
Fluzzard vs. Jibberjay. Was I the only one reminded of the Squawks vs. Screech race from DKC2?

Ah yeah, you're right. Even the names sound like something from DKC. :lol

@ 60 Stars.

In World 4 (I think) there's this Prankster level where you have to collect 100 purple coins
with the shifting gravity and the drill. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I'm sure it'll be the last star I get. I'm bad at it.

Chris R

Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy or whatever the hell it is called.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Please tell me there are more levels like this in my very near future :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm, is there any big, explorable galaxy in SMG2? Like the first had Honeyhive and Sea Slide (Sea Slide was massive and I lurved it.) Anything like this in SMG2? I've been to all the galaxies you can before beating the boss and I don't remember anything like Sea Slide...

Zomba13

rhfb said:
Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy or whatever the hell it is called.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Please tell me there are more levels like this in my very near future :(
^5. I Loooooooove that one. Love the rolling ball stuff.

Vizion28

Banned
Playing this game somehow brougnt back memories of a platform game I loved growing up called Mickey Mouse Magical Quest. I wish Capcom would make a 3D version of that game and borrow a lot of ideas from Galaxy. I also wish they made a new 3D Ducktales game. Those type of games gives me a sense of child like wonderment that makes me forget all the evils in world.

Oh Capcom, why did you have to get all grown up and mature on me?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Flipswap 100 Purple Coins is probably my favorite raw platforming level. I just love the speedrun potential, there.

This game may, in fact, be perfect.

Even with the shitty spring. FUCK-YOU-GUYS. =P

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vizion28 said:
Playing this game somehow brougnt back memories of a platform game I loved growing up called Mickey Mouse Magical Quest. I wish Capcom would make a 3D version of that game and borrow a lot of ideas from Galaxy. I also wish they made a new 3D Ducktales game. Those type of games gives me a sense of child like wonderment that makes me forget all the evils in world.

Oh Capcom, why did you have to get all grown up and mature on me?

Epic Mickey is coming out this year. It's a platformer for Wii that seems like it may draw some ideas from SMG, some from elsewhere (magic brush.)

JRW

Man just when I thought I'd seen all of SMG2's tricks & first time impressions.. This game is packed with variety and surprises.

Im currently on World 5 and just played
the 2nd star in Space Storm galaxy "To the top of topman's tower", I loved the idea of having to temporarily slow down time to progress through each section of the level

This game is so much better than I honestly expected it to be, We all know the 'usual' fate of game sequels but Nintendo really did their homework here, And then some.

bridegur

The Clockwork Ruins galaxy is absolutely amazing. I really can't imagine how some of this stuff came out of a human being's brain.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
Told myself I'd only play for 45 minutes tonight, went from 55 to 80 stars three hours later. The final bowser stage is phenominal and
I loved the surprise when running for the grand star
!

Koodo

Banned
108 stars in and I got the first appearance of the Cosmic Witch. The culprit:
second star of Molty Monster Galaxy
. That level was just wtf insane. If it wasn't for all the star bits and that well-placed 1UP, I would've gotten game over. It was so much fun though. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Koodo said:
108 stars in and I got the first appearance of the Cosmic Witch. The culprit:
second star of Molty Monster Galaxy
. That level was just wtf insane. If it wasn't for all the star bits and that well-placed 1UP, I would've gotten game over. It was so much fun though. :lol

:lol :lol :lol I'm the exact same! That's the first and so far only place she's appeared. Doesn't help I got to the last section of that stage (with the star) and rolled around too long - it booted me out of the damn box! :lol Had to try like four more times to get back there and finally beat the level.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Andrex said:
:lol :lol :lol I'm the exact same! That's the first and so far only place she's appeared. Doesn't help I got to the last section of that stage (with the star) and rolled around too long - it booted me out of the damn box! :lol Had to try like four more times to get back there and finally beat the level.
Same, except I was doing it on purpose after 2 deaths when I realized Star Bits carry over. I farmed there for about an hour. =D

Insaniac

Each galaxy keeps impressing me. Its like they took all the ideas they couldn't expand on in Galaxy and just crammed them into Galaxy 2

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dacvak said:
Same, except I was doing it on purpose after 2 deaths when I realized Star Bits carry over. I farmed there for about an hour. =D

I didn't have to farm, I maxed out on 999 (maybe twice over, even) before I beat it. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Where's the comet coin in
Boss Blitz
? Or do you have to do something special to make it show up?

Feep

Banned
Dan said:
Where's the comet coin in
Boss Blitz
? Or do you have to do something special to make it show up?
It's
on the bottom side of the Calamari Boss's Lava Planet

Edit: Beaten like something that often gets beaten (egg, wife, etc.)

clav

Finished the game again at 120 stars.

The stuff that happens after the credits:

Nintendo is a master of execution in music.

I always get scared when I see "The End" as it gives me the chills when I see something different. For a minute, I always think at some point the "The End" sign will go to "The End?" with some scary music in the background.

When I saw that green streak comet light, I was like oh no. OMG :O

Then it jumped to the cutscene with Rosalina, and the music is just so perfect. It got me excited what was the surprise going to be, and then with the thunderous tune by what unlocked, I thought, "HOLY SHIT!!!"

So now (WARNING BIG SPOILERS):

I have 128 stars. Completed the green stars on the first one, and I guess I kinda like them although I feel like it's a huge afterthought how to extend the game. I know there's a galaxy unlocked (Grandmaster Galaxy) at 240 that is absolutely epic. I went ahead to watch it on youtube, and as much as a huge acid trip it is with the added transitional white clouds in between star jumps, it's disappointing that there's no more to the game as a reward for doing that much. Rosalina just sits on your Mario starship and a note from Nintendo on the message board appear. That's it.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead to complete the game slowly in the next few days. I kinda like the twist of the green stars, but eh. It seems all too easy. I've completed a few: the first galaxy, throwback galaxy, and the mario sunshine stage galaxy. I do like how Nintendo added the hints of a sparkly tune when you're close to one.

As much fun and frustration I've had with this game, I hope that Nintendo decides to make another for the Galaxy series. There were parts that made me feel like that part in Pixar's Ratatouille when the critic eats food that reminds him of his mom's cooking. Absolutely hits the soul. There were other parts that made me want to break my controller.

The most annoying star: Timed throwback 5 boss battles in that one galaxy. I also have to sit through their shitty intros and activation attack modes. What the fuck Nintendo.

One bad stage from Galaxy 1?

Playing fire mario is absolutely broken since shaking the wiimote just looks and feels so wrong. Should have been B Button.

Dumb slide controls not related to the original Mario 64 one

Annoying purple coin challenges that require you to pick up this many in an absurd amount of time.

Disappointing levels after World 6. They just all feel like filler levels and not full-fledge ones like the beginning. It's like Nintendo got lazy.

Day 1 whatever that sequel is. Keep the same style of music. That's what absolutely does it for me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just beat the game.

Ending was a great throwback to the first game. OMFG at Rainbow Road. :D And YAY at getting to be Luigi (permanently-ish) earlier! Was an awesome bonus in the first game and the best reward in a Mario game yet (I'm a super Luigi fan), although let's see what this game has. :3 Also GOTDAMN at the overworld music for World S.

clav

Andrex said:
Just beat the game.

Ending was a great throwback to the first game. OMFG at Rainbow Road. :D And YAY at getting to be Luigi (permanently-ish) earlier! Was an awesome bonus in the first game and the best reward in a Mario game yet, although let's see what this game has. :3 Also GOTDAMN at the overworld music for World S.
Be prepared to see how lazy Nintendo decided to expand the game a bit. I became the most frustrated with this game in World S.

A lot of the design choices are questionable to justify why World S exists.

claviertekky said:
Be prepared to see how lazy Nintendo decided to expand the game a bit. I became the most frustrated with this game in World S.

A lot of the design choices are questionable to justify why World S exists.
World S standard stars were good I thought. Some of the pranksters could be a bit frustrating though, the only one I just didn't like at all was the purple coin slide.

The prankster for twisty trails annoyed me til I realized you could use Yoshi on the second half.

vazel

Banned
The cake is a lie!

Beat the game and taking a break before I collect the last 21 stars. I don't think my Wii has been on for one session this long. I'm also feeling a little dizzy...

clav

MvmntInGrn said:
World S standard stars were good I thought. Some of the pranksters could be a bit frustrating though, the only one I just didn't like at all was the purple coin slide.

The prankster for twisty trails annoyed me til I realized you could use Yoshi on the second half.
I felt Nintendo created World S with minimal effort. All the stars are from other games or inspired from them, and the levels don't feel as grand as they do in Worlds 1-4

Levels

1. Copy/pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
2. Another spiral level using the star ball. The purple coin one was a big wtf. I absolutely hated it.
3. Copy/pasted out of Mario Sunshine.
4. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
5. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
6. Novel, but I wish it were much much longer.
7. Haven't gotten there since it requires 240 stars, but it looks absolutely an acid trip (very fun).

The throwback boss battle prankster one got me very angry. The fucking ghost boss eats up too much time doing stupid shit. Also you had to sit through intros and ACTIVATE the fucking boss battle. So dumb.

I think Mario died 20 times at least with one gameover screen.

claviertekky said:
I felt Nintendo created World S with minimal effort. All the stars are from other games or inspired from them, and the levels don't feel as grand as they do in Worlds 1-4

Levels

1. Copy/pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
2. Another spiral level using the star ball. The purple coin one was a big wtf. I absolutely hated it.
3. Copy/pasted out of Mario Sunshine.
4. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
5. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
6. Novel, but I wish it were much much longer.
7. Haven't gotten there since it requires 240 stars, but it looks absolutely an acid trip (very fun).

The throwback boss battle prankster one got me very angry. The fucking ghost boss eats up too much time doing stupid shit. Also you had to sit through intros and ACTIVATE the fucking boss battle. So dumb.

I think Mario died 20 times at least with one gameover screen.
Ok I understand you now. I agree they are very influenced by previous games/levels and most are not particularly original.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wow Flip Swap and Tall Trunk's purple coins scare me. Not even Dreadnought and Luigi PC and Melty Molten Daredevil left me this nervous and frustrated.

I've been holding my tongue on this issue for a while now, but I think it's time for me to finally come clean. I've expressed complaints with the way Mario controlled in Galaxy 1 many times before now, but in Galaxy 2, it's just ridiculous. Obviously he controls exactly the same, but now that the stages are more challenging and they're really testing my limits as a player, Mario's lack of agility has made me wanna throw my wii remote out the window.

Post Bowser sub 120 star spoilers ahead:

In the special world, I've been getting extremely peeved at the things Nintendo is asking me to do with such a sluggish Mario. The first Galaxy in special world was fine. Good, even. It was like a harder version of Luigi's Purple Coins, only they got rid of the rotating platforms that had questionable physics. But it's all been downhill from there. I was super stoked when I saw the Galaxy that paid tribute to the Sunshine special stages (as I've always felt those stages were the pinnacle of 3D platforming), but after playing them, I just found myself wishing I was playing Sunshine instead.

With such a direct comparison, and having played those Sunshine levels to death, I immediately felt frustrated that I could not perform the same acrobatic feats of agility that I could in Sunshine. It's practically the same level, and I can't do the things I could do in that game. Mario takes SOO long to get his butt moving at full speed, cannot make a quick turn to save his life (literally), and loses a ton of speed after any kind of special jump or spin attack. So frustrating. So god damn frustrating.

But it got even worse from there. The next stage in Special World was a remake of that turning block stage from Galaxy 1, only everything was moving really fast. Needless to say, with a bunch of spinning blocks that kill Mario in one hit, and moving blocks attempting to shove him off platforms, Mario's lack of agility proved fatal way too many times. And I found myself getting extremely frustrated because as I was dying, I was blaming the game. I wasn't blaming myself or my own lack of skill (that's the kind of challenge that is fun and inspiring), I was blaming the game and the horrible way that Mario moves. I kept thinking to myself, if I could play this same stage in Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine, I would have beaten it by now. It was absolutely infuriating, and I did not feel one bit of satisfaction after I beat it.

As a person who was super excited to get a real challenge out of galaxy 2, I've found myself relatively disappointed. Not because there is no challenge in the game, but because the challenge is limited not by my skill as a player, but by Mario's gait. There is no fluidity in his movement, and as the levels become more challenging, this problem becomes fatal.

Now before people jump down my throat and call me an untrue fan, let me qualify my previous statements by saying that Galaxy 2 is a 10/10 in my book, and easily the greatest 3D platformer of all time. I'm loving it to death, and I'm going to turn my Wii on right after I make this post to play it some more. But this is something that frustrated me a bit in Galaxy 1, and is proving to be a serious problem in galaxy 2. Just wanted to get it off my chest, I guess. :lol

FSLink

Banned
^ As much as I really really love Galaxy 1 and 2, I do miss his agility in past games. I was so saddened I couldn't slide around or spin jump when I popped in Galaxy 1 in my Wii for the first time.

Stone Cyclone Galaxy
does feel like the cheapest galaxy in the game. The only one I've got seriously frustrated with.

And I absolutely loved the
Twisty Trials Galaxy
. Delightful nod to
Sunshine
and I wish we'd seen more like that.
Flip-Out
was great, too. So yeah, not really disappointed with
World S
apart from that one galaxy.

OMG PUZZLE PLANK PURPLE COINS

hahaha i was seriously laughing very loudly while I did this. as a fan of the lost genre of the collectathon, this was quite extreme! :lol

I'm just popping into the thread to say, I'm 42 stars in, and there's already been a few times when the camera or controls have caused me problems. It's a shame, because I know Miyamoto talked about them "improving" the camera, but in my eyes they made it just a little worse, at least so far. Just right now in Boo Moon Galaxy, after a checkpoint, you ride one of those block snakes. For no clear reason, all camera controls are removed, and there's a point right after a checkpoint where the blocks disappear off screen. I blind-jumped, and yes there's a platform not too far away, but no I didn't know to aim for it, and the block snake had apparently gone toward the screen while off-screen, so I fell into the mire and died.

There's been other points, like actually dying on Diggaleg (from 6 HP no less) until I figured out up and down were the only reliable controls during the fight, some other directions leading to Mario stopping in his tracks (big no-no, I mean, that's a mistake Sonic and the Black Knight made, I don't want to see that in my Galaxy 2, certainly not in an early boss fight). I also just played the World 4 castle a few minutes ago, and for some reason the part where
you run around the curving walls in 2D perspective
kept throwing me off, when I'd stop and try to start up again, And it got at its worst trying to
run around those two 2D circular structures with the fire bars
. At other times in the game it feels natural to do something like that, here it was giving me a hell of a time.

The game sometimes has a fetish for a sort of 3/4ths overhead view, like you would see in the sprite Zelda games, it doesn't give you a long view of what's coming up, and it can be kind of disorienting. There's other times when it's just not clear pressing what direction will move Mario the way you want, like that house where you flipped rightside-up and upside-down between grates.

Also, for some reason pausing doesn't always trigger if you tap the + button, sometimes over and over, you have to hold down the button to reliably pause. I don't know why they changed it, or if it's just a glitch or what.

Still enjoying the hell out of this game, there was a point during one stage where it crossed my mind, "This is pure platforming bliss." Not fanboy hyperbole, it just popped into my head. It wasn't a particularly hard stage, but it was jump after jump of fantastic.

Kulock said:
I'm just popping into the thread to say, I'm 42 stars in, and there's already been a few times when the camera or controls have caused me problems. It's a shame, because I know Miyamoto talked about them "improving" the camera, but in my eyes they made it just a little worse, at least so far. Just right now in Boo Moon Galaxy, after a checkpoint, you ride one of those block snakes. For no clear reason, all camera controls are removed, and there's a point right after a checkpoint where the blocks disappear off screen. I blind-jumped, and yes there's a platform not too far away, but no I didn't know to aim for it, and the block snake had apparently gone toward the screen while off-screen, so I fell into the mire and died.

There's been other points, like actually dying on Diggaleg (from 6 HP no less) until I figured out up and down were the only reliable controls during the fight, some other directions leading to Mario stopping in his tracks (big no-no, I mean, that's a mistake Sonic and the Black Knight made, I don't want to see that in my Galaxy 2, certainly not in an early boss fight). I also just played the World 4 castle a few minutes ago, and for some reason the part where
you run around the curving walls in 2D perspective
kept throwing me off, when I'd stop and try to start up again, And it got at its worst trying to
run around those two 2D circular structures with the fire bars
. At other times in the game it feels natural to do something like that, here it was giving me a hell of a time.

The game sometimes has a fetish for a sort of 3/4ths overhead view, like you would see in the sprite Zelda games, it doesn't give you a long view of what's coming up, and it can be kind of disorienting. There's other times when it's just not clear pressing what direction will move Mario the way you want, like that house where you flipped rightside-up and upside-down between grates.

Also, for some reason pausing doesn't always trigger if you tap the + button, sometimes over and over, you have to hold down the button to reliably pause. I don't know why they changed it, or if it's just a glitch or what.

Still enjoying the hell out of this game, there was a point during one stage where it crossed my mind, "This is pure platforming bliss." Not fanboy hyperbole, it just popped into my head. It wasn't a particularly hard stage, but it was jump after jump of fantastic.

I haven't had a tremendous amount of trouble with the camera, especially compared to galaxy 1. Though I do find it annoying how they put the camera at a weird angle for the sole purpose of trying to disorient me. It's not that bad, but still....

and I had a lot of trouble understanding which way mario would move if you pushed the stick in a given direction in galaxy 1. i was wondering how they would fix that in galaxy 2, and i was surprised to see that the way it was handled was to be smarter about the camera. they just took away camera angles that would cause that kind of confusion. i haven't had any problems, except maybe once or twice, but it was in a pretty safe area where i wouldn't accidentally walk off a cliff, so it wasn't a big deal.

LOZLINK

to be honest, i don't see why this is considered the greatest game of all time. Fanboyism aside, i'm not feeling this is better than zelda oot. Call me a nostalgic dipshit but oot was perfection.

Just got done riding my back to Saitama and back from Central Tokyo... to find the greatest game of all time* in my box. This day just got somehow better.

Top Bottom