• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Look what came in the mail today:

DSC_0012.jpg

Now I still have to wait until the 11th :(

Haunted

daakusedo said:
haha whoops, I meant renchi (US import), not zavvi.

zavvi got me the GoW collection that's why it was still on my mind.

zigg said:
Judging by the last page or three of comments, Koizumi's extra 20% of difficulty was too much.
:lol But honestly, there'll always be some people complaining that it's too hard or too easy. Even on a dedicated site like GAF you have a community with a widespread range of skills. Impossible to make everyone happy.

My (casual/non-gaming) brother and gf both absolutely adored Galaxy but didn't even get to defeat Bowser because the game was too tough for them around 30-50 stars in, respectively.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Finally got it. Woop woop.
The opening was amazing. Holy wow. :lol

The Dutch Slayer said:
Look what came in the mail today:

DSC_0012.jpg

Now I still have to wait until the 11th :(

Can I ask, what is the special thing this game has at the end of the guide. The Special Edition guide for SMG1 had some awesome artworks.
I would like to know becuase I have it in my amazon cart and I would like to press buy or take it out depending of what they have put at the end.

Rez said:
ah, I see you have the same camera as Japan
Nope my crap phone with a 3.2 mp and no flash.... :(.
@ SpacePirate Ridley let me check what is in the back, you do get a small poster and a
"star guide" that says where to get all the starts in a few sentences per star.
But let me check what is in the back.

Checked, nope I'm sorry it does NOT have art in it but I thing if you have the money and your a collector or just a GIANT mario/galaxy fan you have to have this guide.
If not that let it be it has far less extra's than the first guide and is by far not as nice but still cool.

BowieZ

Banned
LOZLINK said:
to be honest, i don't see why this is considered the greatest game of all time. Fanboyism aside, i'm not feeling this is better than zelda oot. Call me a nostalgic dipshit but oot was perfection.
What did you think of Worlds 4, 5 and 6?
And S?

Mafro

Should hopefully have my US import tomorrow or Saturday (I'm in the UK). Hope so, since I've got a three day weekend to dedicate to it.

BowieZ

Banned
So it seems Koji Kondo composed Yoshi Star Galaxy -- I should have known -- as well as Sky Station Galaxy 1 (trailer theme).

That leaves three other pieces that he created, but I'm wondering if that comprises Starship Mario versions 1, 2 and 3?

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
BowieZ said:
So it seems Koji Kondo composed Yoshi Star Galaxy -- I should have known -- as well as Sky Station Galaxy 1 (trailer theme).

That leaves three other pieces that he created, but I'm wondering if that comprises Starship Mario versions 1, 2 and 3?

I read he indeed wrote Yoshi Star and Starship Mario, and also Bowser Jr's theme (the fiery flotilla one). Are you sure he was the one who composed Sky Station?

Didn't even play yesterday... was busy disinfecting a friend's computer. :)

Now I'm in withdrawal. Guess I need to get back and collect more
green stars
before my brain melts.

The_Dude

HK-47 said:
Wow Flip Swap and Tall Trunk's purple coins scare me. Not even Dreadnought and Luigi PC and Melty Molten Daredevil left me this nervous and frustrated.
I was so very, very glad when I somehow managed to do Flip Swap's purple coins on my first try. Tall Trunk's weren't so bad either, since I knew the course it only took five tries. On the other hand, every time I get a new prankster comet I'm always just hoping it won't be a daredevil run. Only done one so far which went well, but I'm dreading having to do it on harder bosses.

BowieZ

Banned
Sir Johnny said:
I read he indeed wrote Yoshi Star and Starship Mario, and also Bowser Jr's theme (the fiery flotilla one). Are you sure he was the one who composed Sky Station?
Was all that in the Iwata Asks? And I would bet my life on Kondo writing the main Sky Station tune (although I thought I read that somewhere recently anyway). But having said that, I no doubt will be proven wrong. :lol

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
BowieZ said:
Was all that in the Iwata Asks? And I would bet my life on Kondo writing the main Sky Station tune (although I thought I read that somewhere recently anyway). But having said that, I no doubt will be proven wrong. :lol

According to andriasang (it's trustworthy, I hope):

andriasang said:
Regarding his work on the game in general, Kondo explained that, compared to his work on the original, he'd wanted to make more songs for Galaxy 2. For Galaxy 2, he ended up working on five songs. The included the Yoshi Star Galaxy theme, the theme song for the Mario star ship, and a Koopa Jr. theme.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/26/iwata_asks_mario_music/

The_Technomancer said:
If Luigi in Galaxy 1 was say, a 7 or an 8 (I.e cool, but not mindblowing), then the bonus in this game is supposed to rank from about an 8 at the beginning, quickly ramping up to an 11

Can someone just tell me what it is in spoiler tags? I can't seem to really find it with Google. Well I did find something but it seems pretty 'eh', so I'm not sure if that's it.

you picked a bad fucking time to give me my first ever problem running a japanese disc on my PAL wii, nintendo

argh

well i registered the club nintendo points anyway, maybe i should just order the soundtrack and listen to that :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
warthog said:
Must resist wii. Owned it twice (!), but always sold it again because it was gathering dust. :/ defense is weak once again
Why did you sell it to begin with? My Wii often collects dust for months at a time, but I'm always glad to own one when something like this is released. The Wii is very cheap so I can't imagine it hurting your wallet too much by simply holding onto it.

savor100

wow, so this really made it to #1 in Gamerankings? It's weird because Zelda:OOT had a score of 98% not too long ago and now it's down to 97%

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
Why did you sell it to begin with? My Wii often collects dust for months at a time, but I'm always glad to own one when something like this is released. The Wii is very cheap so I can't imagine it hurting your wallet too much by simply holding onto it.

sometimes i think people do it just so they can post about it.

WillyFive

LOZLINK said:
to be honest, i don't see why this is considered the greatest game of all time. Fanboyism aside, i'm not feeling this is better than zelda oot. Call me a nostalgic dipshit but oot was perfection.

The title refers to the critical reception of the game, which was better than what Zelda OoT got.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
zigg said:
Judging by the last page or three of comments, Koizumi's extra 20% of difficulty was too much.
:lol

I know they aren't the same posters but it's funny to see people going "meh, this is too easy" at the first world of the game and those who go "FUCK THIS IN THE ASS" at the later galaxies/challenges.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Fuu said:
:lol

I know they aren't the same posters but it's funny to see people going "meh, this is too easy" at the first world of the game and those who go "FUCK THIS IN THE ASS" at the later galaxies/challenges.

and the latter is always a failing of the game and not the individual

Kajiba

Welp, Calling out of work to play this all today. :lol

Just woke up today and thought about playing it. About to leave and pick it up right now.

Ah good a reminder of how boring the monkey challenges are.

When I finally get around to beating this game I'll have to do a star-by-star review. I understand the game can't be genius 100% of the time but man at times I dunno why they bother.

LOZLINK

BowieZ said:
What did you think of Worlds 4, 5 and 6?
And S?
I'm on world 3. You guys can throw the "don't judge it until you've beaten it," but shouldn't such a critically acclaimed game that surpassed OOT suck me in right away. Blah whatever, i'll come back with finished impressions.

Halcyon

At the end of June i'm gonna get a black wii, mario galaxy and mario galaxy 2. I've been holding out on getting a wii because mario galaxy is all that I want to play on it, but now that there's 2 of them, plus nsmbwii I think i'm gonna pull the trigger. It's gonna be a great July.

BowieZ

Banned
HalcyonTB12 said:
At the end of June i'm gonna get a black wii, mario galaxy and mario galaxy 2. I've been holding out on getting a wii because mario galaxy is all that I want to play on it, but now that there's 2 of them, plus nsmbwii I think i'm gonna pull the trigger. It's gonna be a great July.
Man, to be able to play ALL FOUR Wii Mario platformers for the first time again... at the same time no less... lol... on a black Wii! You're so lucky!

Yeah, that's right. Super Paper Mario.

LOZLINK said:
I'm on world 3. You guys can throw the "don't judge it until you've beaten it," but shouldn't such a critically acclaimed game that surpassed OOT suck me in right away. Blah whatever, i'll come back with finished impressions.
Well, SMG2 certainly sucked me in right away, much more than I ever expected.

Lijik

BowieZ said:
Man, to be able to play ALL FOUR Wii Mario platformers for the first time again... at the same time no less... lol... on a black Wii! You're so lucky!

Yeah, that's right. Super Paper Mario.

If you want to make some more technicalities, he has five waiting for him when you add Wario Land in the mix. :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
LOZLINK said:
Well, technically, no. It's not obliged to suck everyone in immediately. Hell, it's not obliged to entertain specifically you, either. It may not work for you, critically acclaimed or no. And that's okay.

That said, I've only done the opening and, I repeat, omgwow.

savor100 said:
wow, so this really made it to #1 in Gamerankings? It's weird because Zelda:OOT had a score of 98% not too long ago and now it's down to 97%

In no way is this the best game....ever

I'd give it a 8.9 at most. IMO SMG 1 is better

It had more fun levels, more fun boss battles and somehow I think it was longer too. At this time when SMG 1 came out I had like 60 stars, now I have 95.

Btw the last boss battle was a real joke, I beat her in like 1 minute on my FIRST try

LOZLINK

RevenantKioku said:
Well, technically, no. It's not obliged to suck everyone in immediately. Hell, it's not obliged to entertain specifically you, either. It may not work for you, critically acclaimed or no. And that's okay.

That said, I've only done the opening and, I repeat, omgwow.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with the game so far. It's just that i really went in with extremely high expectations, and when i say high, i mean high

Top Bottom