• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SuperAngelo64 said:
Can someone just tell me what it is in spoiler tags? I can't seem to really find it with Google. Well I did find something but it seems pretty 'eh', so I'm not sure if that's it.
120 STAR BONUS SPOILERS:
an entirely new set of 120 more stars hidden throughout the current levels. They start out easy, but quickly ramp up to deviously hair-tearing awesome(supposedly)

zigg

neoism said:
so guys are there still 100 coin stars for every galaxy??

There were never "find 100 yellow coin" stars, of course—thank goodness. Purple coins are back, but only on some galaxies, and none of them are the kind where you have to looking everywhere for them. They're all challenges of some sort.

Which is pretty much perfect, really.

Christopher

so I'm about 39 stars in the game is pretty awesome...best game ever? 10's? hell no.

I personally liked more exansive huge world galaxys compared to these tiny ones we got

DungeonO

Christopher said:
so I'm about 39 stars in the game is pretty awesome...best game ever? 10's? hell no.

I personally liked more exansive huge world galaxys compared to these tiny ones we got

You're not even a quarter of the way in. You'll see the light soon enough. :D

Christopher said:

I think that's why I'm liking this sequel so much - it doesn't try to do what Mario Galaxy 1 did in terms of the expansive worlds. Instead what we have is smaller levels that play more like the 2-D Mario games than the 3-D ones, but yet at the same time has the same essence of the 3-D games. It's quite an exhilarating experience.

It's wayyyyyyyy too early to start calling this "the best game ever," but I can confidently say that this experience so far has been among the most fun I've had with a game.

neoism

zigg said:
There were never "find 100 yellow coin" stars, of course—thank goodness. Purple coins are back, but only on some galaxies, and none of them are the kind where you have to looking everywhere for them. They're all challenges of some sort.

Which is pretty much perfect, really.
in M64 they were OK thanks I was trying last night to get 100 most of the time..:lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Scythesurge said:
I think that's why I'm liking this sequel so much - it doesn't try to do what Mario Galaxy 1 did in terms of the expansive worlds. Instead what we have is smaller levels that play more like the 2-D Mario games than the 3-D ones, but yet at the same time has the same essence of the 3-D games. It's quite an exhilarating experience.

It's wayyyyyyyy too early to start calling this "the best game ever," but I can confidently say that this experience so far has been among the most fun I've had with a game.

This. You nailed the point. And it is the most fun I've had in a video game since a long, long LOONG time. Not one bit frustrating, just straight to the point fun.

clav

Relix said:
This. You nailed the point. And it is the most fun I've had in a video game since a long, long LOONG time. Not one bit frustrating, just straight to the point fun.
:lol :lol :lol

That is true.

My opinion changed post-game when you get to World S. Nintendo decided to throw everything old back in that makes the game just bad.

On the path of obtaining 120, the game left me feeling, why couldn't the later levels be like worlds 1,2,3 and 4?????

You realize why does the camera pan out farther at times when you don't want it to.

Most of the levels in Worlds S are just copy and paste jobs by Nintendo.

The stars are just frustrating. For much, I thought I was playing a simpler version of that popular Asshole Mario or Mario Frustration video. It was just all about memorization, not really difficult platforming. Beating bosses was just about showing how you can remember what happens just like an obedient Japanese person. Hai hai hai.

Dr.Hadji

Lovely Salsa said:
In no way is this the best game....ever

I'd give it a 8.9 at most. IMO SMG 1 is better

It had more fun levels, more fun boss battles and somehow I think it was longer too. At this time when SMG 1 came out I had like 60 stars, now I have 95.

Btw the last boss battle was a real joke, I beat her in like 1 minute on my FIRST try

Goodness. Now even peoples personal scores go to the tenths place.

vazel

Banned
Holy shit at what happens when you get 120 stars. Just when I spent all night to collect all 120 stars to 100% the game. I think I'm going to give the game a rest for now. It was a lot of fun my poor Wii has never been on for so long in individual gaming sessions.

clav

Dr.Hadji said:
Goodness. Now even peoples personal scores go to the tenths place.
The game reveals its flaws the more you play it.

It was fun. Definitely the first worlds leave you feeling wow.

clav

vazel said:
Holy shit at what happens when you get 120 stars. Just when I spent all night to collect all 120 stars to 100% the game. I think I'm going to give the game a rest for now. It was a lot of fun my poor Wii has never been on for so long in individual gaming sessions.
It was so exciting that even someone on Youtube captured it on video.

Huge spoiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-0rIveGJU

rhino4evr

Prankster Star in Yoshi Galaxy was HARD...they really didnt give you a lot of room for error, one mistake, and it was pretty much game over. Took me like 20 tries!

Never want to do that again...I hope there aren't too many of those kind of challenges. :lol

rhino4evr said:
Prankster Star in Yoshi Galaxy was HARD...they really didnt give you a lot of room for error, one mistake, and it was pretty much game over. Took me like 20 tries!

Never want to do that again...I hope there aren't too many of those kind of challenges. :lol
Took me a few tries too, I appreciated the challenge. Plus, running around like that is fun!

rhino4evr

claviertekky said:
Heh.

Care to elaborate? I had a hard time with this particular one because of all the obstacles. If you landed in the mud or slowed down for even a second you were pretty much done for. You really needed an almost perfect run to do everything in 60 seconds....

Nicktals

Banned
claviertekky said:
The game reveals its flaws the more you play it.

It was fun. Definitely the first worlds leave you feeling wow.

What. World
S
Was AWESOME. Some of the best stars in the game. I guess it just depends if you like challenge, or not.

I kind of saw this coming when I reached it though. It's hard. Fair, but hard. And when people meet a hard level, it is quite common for them to say "oh bu bu bu but it's the game's fault mario doesn't control like a super fast ninja WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".

The levels were designed around the way Mario controls. All the levels are easily doable. It takes precision and skill, sure, but that's why they're at the very end of the game!

ruffles

I'm finding the Chimp's stomp challenges to be much harder than the purple coins. Can't get the timing for the combos right.

Nicktals

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Care to elaborate? I had a hard time with this particular one because of all the obstacles. If you landed in the mud or slowed down for even a second you were pretty much done for. You really needed an almost perfect run to do everything in 60 seconds....

And he probably meant that there are many many stars that require absolute precision, with little to no mistakes, in order to get the star. Quite a few.

clav

Nicktals said:
What. World
S
Was AWESOME. Some of the best stars in the game. I guess it just depends if you like challenge, or not.

I kind of saw this coming when I reached it though. It's hard. Fair, but hard. And when people meet a hard level, it is quite common for them to say "oh bu bu bu but it's the game's fault mario doesn't control like a super fast ninja WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".

The levels were designed around the way Mario controls. All the levels are easily doable. It takes precision and skill, sure, but that's why they're at the very end of the game!
I'll quote some of the stuff I said earlier.

claviertekky said:
I felt Nintendo created World S with minimal effort. All the stars are from other games or inspired from them, and the levels don't feel as grand as they do in Worlds 1-4

Levels

1. Copy/pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
2. Another spiral level using the star ball. The purple coin one was a big wtf. I absolutely hated it.
3. Copy/pasted out of Mario Sunshine.
4. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
5. Copy pasted out of Mario Galaxy 1.
6. Novel, but I wish it were much much longer.
7. Haven't gotten there since it requires 240 stars, but it looks absolutely an acid trip (very fun).

The throwback boss battle prankster one got me very angry. The fucking ghost boss eats up too much time doing stupid shit. Also you had to sit through intros and ACTIVATE the fucking boss battle. So dumb.

I think Mario died 20 times at least with one gameover screen.

claviertekky said:
Finished the game again at 120 stars.

The stuff that happens after the credits:

Nintendo is a master of execution in music.

I always get scared when I see "The End" as it gives me the chills when I see something different. For a minute, I always think at some point the "The End" sign will go to "The End?" with some scary music in the background.

When I saw that green streak comet light, I was like oh no. OMG :O

Then it jumped to the cutscene with Rosalina, and the music is just so perfect. It got me excited what was the surprise going to be, and then with the thunderous tune by what unlocked, I thought, "HOLY SHIT!!!"

So now (WARNING BIG SPOILERS):

I have 128 stars. Completed the green stars on the first one, and I guess I kinda like them although I feel like it's a huge afterthought how to extend the game. I know there's a galaxy unlocked (Grandmaster Galaxy) at 240 that is absolutely epic. I went ahead to watch it on youtube, and as much as a huge acid trip it is with the added transitional white clouds in between star jumps, it's disappointing that there's no more to the game as a reward for doing that much. Rosalina just sits on your Mario starship and a note from Nintendo on the message board appear. That's it.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead to complete the game slowly in the next few days. I kinda like the twist of the green stars, but eh. It seems all too easy. I've completed a few: the first galaxy, throwback galaxy, and the mario sunshine stage galaxy. I do like how Nintendo added the hints of a sparkly tune when you're close to one.

As much fun and frustration I've had with this game, I hope that Nintendo decides to make another for the Galaxy series. There were parts that made me feel like that part in Pixar's Ratatouille when the critic eats food that reminds him of his mom's cooking. Absolutely hits the soul. There were other parts that made me want to break my controller.

The most annoying star: Timed throwback 5 boss battles in that one galaxy. I also have to sit through their shitty intros and activation attack modes. What the fuck Nintendo.

One bad stage from Galaxy 1?

Playing fire mario is absolutely broken since shaking the wiimote just looks and feels so wrong. Should have been B Button.

Dumb slide controls not related to the original Mario 64 one

Annoying purple coin challenges that require you to pick up this many in an absurd amount of time.

Disappointing levels after World 6. They just all feel like filler levels and not full-fledge ones like the beginning. It's like Nintendo got lazy.

Day 1 whatever that sequel is. Keep the same style of music. That's what absolutely does it for me.

claviertekky said:
:lol :lol :lol

That is true.

My opinion changed post-game when you get to World S. Nintendo decided to throw everything old back in that makes the game just bad.

On the path of obtaining 120, the game left me feeling, why couldn't the later levels be like worlds 1,2,3 and 4?????

You realize why does the camera pan out farther at times when you don't want it to.

Most of the levels in Worlds S are just copy and paste jobs by Nintendo.

The stars are just frustrating. For much, I thought I was playing a simpler version of that popular Asshole Mario or Mario Frustration video. It was just all about memorization, not really difficult platforming. Beating bosses was just about showing how you can remember what happens just like an obedient Japanese person. Hai hai hai.

Meier said:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/supermariogalaxy2

Holy crap! I haven't had any time to even open this yet this week but these reviews are stunning. If I didnt get around to finishing the first, should I do that before I crack open 2? Would it even be enjoyable any longer after I start this?
Not everyone is going to agree, but I think each game stands well enough on its own. Some people will prefer 1, some will prefer 2. Depending on what you like, you may not want to play 1 after playing 2. It could go the other way though, and ultimately it's worth playing both.

Nicktals

Banned
claviertekky said:
I'll quote some of the stuff I said earlier.

Yeah, I read all that the first time you said it, and, besides the facts (that some stuff is reused), I disagree with with it pretty much across the board. But, I don't feel like going through all the individual pieces, so I'll just say that we disagree, and leave it at that!

Also, I thought the stuff that was reused was great. A lot of fun playing through some of them again, but with new twists.

rhino4evr

ruffles said:
I'm finding the Chimp's stomp challenges to be much harder than the purple coins. Can't get the timing for the combos right.

Don't forget that coins and items give you points too...those 1 up mushrooms are worth 1,000!

Christopher said:

I'm with you too for now. The first Galaxy is a 10 in my book. Currently on World 4 and not that many levels really "wowed" me so far. But I'm expecting the later levels to be earth shattering.

Again, the tiny worlds end up so quickly that maybe I don't have time to gasp them, so maybe I'll have to replay some of them.

HeySeuss

This was waiting for me when I got home last night, but I was too tired to put a whole lot of time in it. I'm about 7 stars in, and it feels like more of the same. I finished the drill boss and thats where I stopped to go to bed. Does it start picking up and doing more elaborate things soon?

zigg

Nicktals said:
Also, I thought the stuff that was reused was great. A lot of fun playing through some of them again, but with new twists.

Yeah, exactly. Remixing is a valid art, it was done well, and there was not that much of it anyway.

For all the spooging over
Whomp's Fortress
(which IMO ended up better than the original, not least for its limitation to three stars), which, while a good selection, was not my favorite remix, you'd think this would be a more popular opinion.

Shick Brithouse said:
This was waiting for me when I got home last night, but I was too tired to put a whole lot of time in it. I'm about 7 stars in, and it feels like more of the same. I finished the drill boss and thats where I stopped to go to bed. Does it start picking up and doing more elaborate things soon?

Isn't that, like, twenty minutes in?

epmode

vas_a_morir said:
Got it today, but I must make my American wii play it. Gecko isn't working...what else can I do with the homebrew channel?
Hm, I also have an American console and Gecko works fine for me. Maybe there's another problem?

In other news, I *love* the music for Puzzle Plank Galaxy.

HeySeuss

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Isn't that, like, twenty minutes in?

I took my time with it exploring, so about an hour. I'm not bashing, more of the same is fine with me, but I know I'm early in. SMG1 was great.

Shick Brithouse said:
Just to give you guys infintesimal "ranges of time" at which to assess the game, I am at 28 stars which feels like it has taken me forever, and the game just keeps getting better with each star. It took me 5 hours to get to 28 stars, that might be because i'm taking certain things slow, or maybe not, but either way -- I can already say that this game is very much superior to Galaxy 1 for a variety of reasons, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise I feel needs to re-examine good game design. Whereas I did feel that getting some stars in Galaxy 1 was painful to the point of detracting from the game, NEVER have I felt that to this point in Galaxy 2.

Top Bottom