• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

HeySeuss

GregLombardi said:
Just to give you guys infintesimal moments at which to assess the game, I am at 28 stars which feels like it has taken me forever, and the game just keeps getting better with each star. It took me 5 hours to get to 28 stars, that might be because i'm taking certain things slow, or maybe not, but either way -- I can already say that this game is very much superior to Galaxy 1 for a variety of reasons, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise I feel needs to re-examine good game design. Whereas I did feel that getting some stars in Galaxy 1 was painful to the point of detracting from the game, NEVER have I felt that to this point in Galaxy 2.

Cool thanks, that's what I was looking for.

zigg

Kulock said:
The end of
Slimy Spring Galaxy was just masterful.

That was something else, wasn't it? :D

Bentendo said:
God, so many complaints. Makes my head hurt.

Don't let them ruin your own enjoyment. Leave for awhile if you need to. I realistically can only actually complain about the Fire Flower. Everything else is a delight.

LM4sure

Banned
In one of the levels in world one there's one of those star guys you can feed coins to and then they transform. He wants 100 coins, but it's at the beginning of the level and I am not able to get that many coins. How do I do this?

HeySeuss

LM4sure said:
In one of the levels in world one there's one of those star guys you can feed coins to and then they transform. He wants 100 coins, but it's at the beginning of the level and I am not able to get that many coins. How do I do this?

If you hold 1 and 2 at the same time it will open a screen that will allow you to play a slot-machine type game that will help you win more coins.

GregLombardi said:
Just to give you guys infintesimal "ranges of time" at which to assess the game, I am at 28 stars which feels like it has taken me forever, and the game just keeps getting better with each star. It took me 5 hours to get to 28 stars, that might be because i'm taking certain things slow, or maybe not, but either way -- I can already say that this game is very much superior to Galaxy 1 for a variety of reasons, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise I feel needs to re-examine good game design. Whereas I did feel that getting some stars in Galaxy 1 was painful to the point of detracting from the game, NEVER have I felt that to this point in Galaxy 2.
Agreed with that, though of course I am only 30 stars into SMG2.

LM4sure said:
You put on your Club Nintendo Mario cap and get awesome, stat.

epmode said:
Hm, I also have an American console and Gecko works fine for me. Maybe there's another problem?

In other news, I *love* the music for Puzzle Plank Galaxy.

Well, we tried it in another console and it did the same thing. It loads to a bright green screen and nothing happens. This is horrible.

Nicktals

Banned
LM4sure said:

Explore. Look for a pipe. I think there is one in the level you're talking about.

Bentendo

zigg said:
Don't let them ruin your own enjoyment. Leave for awhile if you need to. I realistically can only actually complain about the Fire Flower. Everything else is a delight.

Don't worry, I'm not letting them ruin my experience. It's just that some of the complaints lead me to believe that these people were expecting a literally perfect game. They became so hyped that when they started to play the game, they were disappointed to find that, you know, it actually doesn't BLOW YOUR MIND, but instead is just a really well made game with some really interesting levels.

I'm going to personally block out any comments that even mention the lack of a story in a negative light. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING. Even though I loved the original Galaxy the story was not that good and was actually really embarrassing in the ending when Rosalina was talking about some bullshit that made me want to kill myself in front of people that don't play Mario games.

The only complaints that I have are:

*Not being able to deactivate rock suit.
*Not being able to complete Spring Mario stages without Spring Mario (like in the original).
*The new character's designs.
*Not being able to bring Yoshi into other stages.

zigg

LM4sure said:

If you're where I think you are,
check behind a tree near the beginning

Scythesurge said:
Jump and push z my friend.

What?! How did I miss this?

thefil

I'm a little disappointed with this so far (maybe because of the hype). I just finished Galaxy 1 again, and this one doesn't seem quite as magical.

The music isn't nearly as good, and I don't like the pure 2D sections. There is another game for that already, let 3D Mario be 3D. The levels also seem somewhat less inspired (each is based more on a gameplay mechanic than a theme). One thing I do like is the more open nature of the game, it's really easy to use crafty jumping to skip massive sections.

Only 20 stars in, so I'm sure my opinion will change. Just for now it's not quite the same masterpiece that Galaxy 1 is.

*Edit* However, the spin flip galaxy is already as good as any galaxy in Galaxy 1.

Jump and push z my friend.

I'm pretty sure this just does a ground pound, even in the rock suit.

thefil said:
I'm pretty sure this just does a ground pound, even in the rock suit.
While you are rolling, if you jump and push z you exit the roll in mid air. No ground pound. I get the feeling there may be another way to cancel the roll but this is the only way that I've found so far.

Galang

Banned
Scythesurge said:
While you are rolling, if you jump and push z you exit the roll in mid air. No ground pound. I get the feeling there may be another way to cancel the roll but this is the only way that I've found so far.

Wow, was trying to figure out if there was a way to cancel it... wish I had known this sooner, but thanks! :D

BuddhaRockstar said:
SMG2 is back down to #2 on Gamerankings, although it's hard to be sad when the only game above it is OOT.
Yeah, though that Gamespy review leaves a little to be desired in the "review" department. :lol

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Could someone give me a yes or no answer to the 120 star unlock? I think I may have spoiled it for myself, but I'm not sure. Please do not tell me what the unlock is, just a yes or no.
Is it the developer ghost speed runs that I keep hearing about?

andymcc

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Well, we tried it in another console and it did the same thing. It loads to a bright green screen and nothing happens. This is horrible.

do you have the newest version of gecko?

Galang

Banned
cornontheCoD said:
Could someone give me a yes or no answer to the 120 star unlock? I think I may have spoiled it for myself, but I'm not sure. Please do not tell me what the unlock is, just a yes or no.

No. You can get the developer runs pretty early into the game.

zigg

ShockingAlberto said:
The clone prankster comets are fucking tense

They force you to play entirely differently than you otherwise would.

I will forever be haunted by them in the last section of
Flip-Out

Galang

Banned
Am I the only one that sucks at
Fleet Glide Galaxy? Only tried a few times so far, but really had quite the time trying to get the medal. I am pleasantly surprised at how much effort went into this level though, it's amazing to actually fly through. I can't even remember the last time I played a game where the "mini-game" segments didn't look cheap.

just started this a few days ago. i've only played an hour or two so far but it's great. i'm loving the music and clever gameplay and can't wait to put some time into it this weekend.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, world 5 is, for me, the point where the game goes from "tons of fun" to "holy fuck awesome"

cornontheCoD said:
No. Think about five times as awesome.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
:lol Oh man. I just went through
Slimy Spring Galaxy
, the whole time thinking "How is spring mario going to work with water?

And then I realized how that galaxy got it's name :lol

rhino4evr

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, the Comets in this game are waaaaay better then Galaxy 1. Seriously.

I totally agree..they are the best stages in the game..while the first game basically had you re-doing the same level in either a time trial, or with limited health. The comets in this game are there own individual stages with differnet challenges. So so awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I put something like an insane 10 hours into the game on Sunday and shut down at the very beginning of World 5 with exactly 70 stars. It's been a hectic week, so my brief stint with the game last night was the first time I was able to return to it since that crazy-awesome Sunday marathon.

Now I'm at 88 stars, with worlds 1-3 fully completed, and just 1 prankster comet star shy of having fully completed both worlds 4 and 5. (The prankster comets have yet to spawn, so tonight I'll be moving on to world 6). Game's fucking brilliant so far.

If SMG1 successfully applied some classic 2D Mario platforming and familiar mechanics to a 3D Mario for arguably the first time, SMG2 takes that to the nth degree of brilliance. I'm so happy that they've basically killed off the bullshit adventuring of SM64 and SMS to focus exclusively on insane platforming, dazzling acrobatics, and an incredible array of power-ups and related gimmicks. It truly is a combination of SMB3, SMW, and YI in full 3D. SMG1 was a massively significant step in the right direction. SMG2 is an unabashedly joyful leap way farther in that same awesome direction.

Stuneseht

Gillian Seed said:
When do the Comets start showing up? I am in World 2, and i have grabbed every Comet Coin so far. Am i missing something?

They should start coming in at around World 3... At least for me they did.

zigg

Mejilan said:
I'm so happy that they've basically killed off the bullshit adventuring of SM64 and SMS to focus exclusively on insane platforming, dazzling acrobatics, and an incredible array of power-ups and related gimmicks. It truly is a combination of SMB3, SMW, and YI in full 3D. SMG1 was a massively significant step in the right direction. SMG2 is an unabashedly joyful leap way farther in that same awesome direction.

You are my favorite poster of the day. :D

JaxJag said:
I just came in to say i'm offended by the title of this thread.

You are not.

Mejilan said:
I put something like an insane 10 hours into the game on Sunday and shut down at the very beginning of World 5 with exactly 70 stars. It's been a hectic week, so my brief stint with the game last night was the first time I was able to return to it since that crazy-awesome Sunday marathon.

Now I'm at 88 stars, with worlds 1-3 fully completed, and just 1 prankster comet star shy of having fully completed both worlds 4 and 5. (The prankster comets have yet to spawn, so tonight I'll be moving on to world 6). Game's fucking brilliant so far.

If SMG1 successfully applied some classic 2D Mario platforming and familiar mechanics to a 3D Mario for arguably the first time, SMG2 takes that to the nth degree of brilliance. I'm so happy that they've basically killed off the bullshit adventuring of SM64 and SMS to focus exclusively on insane platforming, dazzling acrobatics, and an incredible array of power-ups and related gimmicks. It truly is a combination of SMB3, SMW, and YI in full 3D. SMG1 was a massively significant step in the right direction. SMG2 is an unabashedly joyful leap way farther in that same awesome direction.
Glad to hear this coming from someone further in the game! I can't wait to play more!!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I believe that the prankster comets start spawning at around 30 stars.

zigg said:
You are my favorite poster of the day. :D

I wish I could say that those 10 hours I put into the game on Sunday sated me, and that I don't regret being forced to ignore the game for the first half of this week. But I'd be lying. Hell, I'm at work pouring over this thread, aren't I?

Mejilan said:

I wish I could say that those 10 hours I put into the game on Sunday sated me, and that I don't regret being forced to ignore the game for the first half of this week. But I'd be lying. Hell, I'm at work pouring over this thread, aren't I?
I'm at work too man, I am just dying to talk about this game when I'm not playing it. :lol

EzLink

Banned
My Wii FINALLY arrived at Nintendo!

Here's to hoping the lady on the phone I talked to was correct (saying it won't be at nintendo longer than three days) as opposed to the website which said it could be up to a couple weeks

listening to bowsers lava lair music while fondling the game case
and myself
to pass the time

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Component cables and this game as soon as I can. I'm skipping ME2 and Alan Wake to get this first.

zigg

Mejilan said:

An interesting co-fact: the medals don't seem to be one-to-one with the comets. There aren't comets in every galaxy. I was a little stunned at this since I thought there was...

Further testament to the fact that this game is edited to near-perfection.

Mejilan said:

I have one star left and I'm in a similar boat. It never ends.

Top Bottom