• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart |OT| Before Shells Were Blue

From what I've read all time trial records made on the Wii U VC version will not be counted by the Mario Kart TT community (Players' Page international rankings) because of the save state system.

been playing this one (wii VC) since back in Dec 2011 and seriously cannot wait to double dip for the wiiU one :)

Awesome thread OP

King_Moc

Banned
Day 1. Played the crap out of this back in the day and eventually drained the battery on the cartridge. From those reviews, I find it amazing how games like this didn't get maximum scores everywhere.

How good would online leaderboards have been for this? :(

I bought two hundred in eshop cards last bestbuy sales to buy smash and kart.

This is a no brainer. When is this out in the US?

Wait... Mario Kart isn't out on the US VC yet? Man... well, I guess, looking on the bright side, we have a lot to look forward to! Sigh...

mclem

Hell yes Ghost Valley 1 time trial. Especially because you have to make the jump with a mushroom rather than the easier way with a flower. Very exciting.

I might be misremembering, but I thought there were no items in TT in the original game?

(And on the subject of items, let's take a moment to think about how the AI handled items in the first game. I can't help but think that Mario and Luigi were overpowered)

There are a few jumps you can make going full speed with bowser or DK that only can be made with the mushroom or flower with other characters.

Played this almost every day in college one year. We got really good at jump sliding and banana tossing. I used to invite people over from the bars at night and would beat them with my feet on the controller.

I didn't get laid much that year.

Buying day one, not gonna bother with digital MK8 though, I'm getting a physical copy all the way.

Also taking this avatar:

87rcAYT.png

Cheers.

Pila

Wow, this OP is really good. Impressive.

I'm getting this game, I was going digital with MK8 anyway.

Mario Kart 8 Digital Bonus

This is only confirmed for Europe so far. People who purchase Super Mario Kart will get the price subtracted from Mario Kart 8 if they decided to download digitally. This effectively makes Super Mario Kart free if you intend to download Mario Kart 8.

Sold. Best Mario Kart ever. I perfected the technique of shooting a red shell in battle mode that it would circle you indefinetly. Awesome game.

So happy that this is 60Hz in Europe. I'll be buying it.

Q: what is the symbol on the t-shirt of the DK avatar? Japanese?

Megaton: action replay codes were recently figured out to enable players to use the CPU-only items (poison mushroom, fireball, tiny chomp).

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17854.msg258715.html#msg258715

A patch is coming soon to allow these CPU-only items to be accessed by players the regular way (question mark block/spinner/ghost) without any need to enter action replay codes.

nullset2

I just recently beat Super Mario Kart, like... a couple months ago. 100cc, all cups gold I think? Or maybe I went for 150cc.

Point being, what music. What enjoyable little game, it's still as good as ever. I love that Nintendo's software ages like this.

udivision

Some of the best music in Mario Kart. Also I loved the personalized victory themes for everyone, those need to make a comeback. I can't stand playing this game.

This was also before they started adding the insane rubberbanding. Once you got good enough, it wasn't that uncommon to lap the 2nd place racer.

Baleoce

Would be nice if my Wii U could eventually be a Mario Kart machine with a whole host of the older titles available on Wii U VC. Would be pretty cool.

SparkTR

How do you drift without sliding off the course?

You have to kind of counter drift. Like when you want to stop a drift, initiate another drift (jump basically) while pressing the opposite direction you're currently drifting in.

Also timing is everything, drift way before the corner starts.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the only MK I loved playing as Bowser. He's such a slow arse, but with the highest top speed of all, plus he's a goddamned tank, and I loved reaching maximum MPH and smashing Yoshis and Toads out of my way, haha

Piccoro

Thanks for the thread. One of my favorite games of all time!
And thank you for acknowledging the best music of all Mario Karts: Koopa Beach!
Bowser's Castle also has great music. Super Mario World spoilers!:
The music from SMW's final boss is very catchy and adapts perfectly in a racing game!
Oh the memories...

Piccoro

Would be nice if my Wii U could eventually be a Mario Kart machine with a whole host of the older titles available on Wii U VC. Would be pretty cool.

That is actually possible with an backwards compatible Wii!
In my Wii I have SMK, Double Dash (GC disc) and MKWii. The only one that's missing is MK64, but I just have to purchase it from the store! :)

Platy

Been so much time since I played this single player that my mind was kinda blown looking at the screenshots in the OP and remembering that you don't play fullscreen on single player xD

Robin64

This was also before they started adding the insane rubberbanding. Once you got good enough, it wasn't that uncommon to lap the 2nd place racer.

They just have CPU racers with insane item usage instead. Look at Mario or Luigi funny? INSTANT STAR.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The stupid item usage more than made up for it. Also, the rubber banding WAS still there--just for the CPU. Good luck getting a different racer to get 2nd place each time. If the guy the CPU chooses to be 2nd somehow ends up in last, he rubber bands back to 2nd nearly immediately.

This game is the most overrated Kart game of the bunch. Easily the worst. Every CPU character races the same exact line--every lap! Once you learn the route, it's pointless. Keep placing peels in that spot and you're golden.

TreIII

They just have CPU racers with insane item usage instead. Look at Mario or Luigi funny? INSTANT STAR.

Even worse when you're playing as Koopa Troopa or Bowser. Have Mario & Luigi as your designated rivals = You'll never escape Starman-powered Plumbers for long.

Robin64

The stupid item usage more than made up for it. Also, the rubber banding WAS still there--just for the CPU. Good luck getting a different racer to get 2nd place each time. If the guy the CPU chooses to be 2nd somehow ends up in last, he rubber bands back to 2nd nearly immediately.

This game is the most overrated Kart game of the bunch. Easily the worst. Every CPU character races the same exact line--every lap! Once you learn the route, it's pointless. Keep placing peels in that spot and you're golden.

The way I see it, the bulk of the game is time trial mode, just because of all this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I should say technically since this game came out after Super Mario World it isn't before shells were blue. ;)

Talking of SMW, it took me years to notice that Bower's Castle theme was the Bower fighter music from SMW.

Top Bottom