• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart |OT| Before Shells Were Blue

I'd still like to see Nintendo go back to the formula they used for Super Mario Kart, where it was more about your powerSliding skills rather than getting blue shells.

Also: Give me Super Mario Kart with a 4 Player Splitscreen and I'm done.

kZIzZJml.jpg

Doing this off my tablet, hope the pic isn't too big.

Edit: or not work at all.

Those are some weak ass times! With proper powerSliding, you can easily finish a lap on Mario Circuit 1 in under 60 seconds.

Robin64

Shouldn't make a difference. If I'm not mistaken, the seconds in (non optimized) PAL games lasted longer than a "real" second.

But maybe PAL-SMK was optimized somehow, I don't remember.

Nope. The SNES timer counts a second as a second in Super Mario Kart. It doesn't care how much slower the game is actually going. A "second" is the same length in both PAL and NTSC versions.

Those are some weak ass times! With proper powerSliding, you can easily finish a lap on Mario Circuit 1 in under 60 seconds.

Pls ;_;

I hadn't touched that cart in 6 years.

I will get back to it.

Edit: I'm not on the same page with anyone regarding blue shell. Throughout my 20 year Mario Kart career, the best always got to the top.

I want snaking back though.

Robin64

Super Mario Kart is now up on the European eShop! Go go go!

The Miiverse community is live too.

Remember, if you're going to submit a time, please link to the full Miiverse post and not just the picture. Though feel free to display the picture here too!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Remember, if you're going to submit a time, please link to the full Miiverse post and not just the picture. Though feel free to display the picture here too!

So I have to spam Miiverse with my time and can't just upload the picture somewhere else?

Super Mario Kart is now up on the European eShop! Go go go!

The Miiverse community is live too.

Maybe do weekly competitions - someone chooses a course then we go at it.

Robin64

So I have to spam Miiverse with my time and can't just upload the picture somewhere else?

Believe it or not, more than one person "cheated" during the F-Zero one and submitted other times that weren't theres by just linking a picture. I only found out by using Google Image search to track it back after something seemed off. So I liked the extra layer of verification that Miiverse brought, given that everyone playing has access to it.

On the other hand, I do agree that Miiverse spam would be pretty shit too. So I am in two minds about the whole thing. The fact that people tried to cheat a system where you submit yourself and everything should be fair because it's only fun really annoyed me.

Though remember you can post screens to your Activity Feed now that won't clog up the SMK community.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I guess I can also post pictures as replies now.
Can you link post to the Activity Feed?

Also, downloaded the game. Let's get this 60 Hz party started. :)

Robin64

Ah, good, that works.

My friend list will be sooo glad. ;)

Also, yeah, 60 Hz feels quite different.

Awesome. I know it's a bit of extra faff in some ways, but the whole F-Zero cheater thing really soured my outlook on the whole thing and I nearly didn't even bother for Kart. This was the only compromise I could think of without a proper Nintendo leaderboard system (because that would be too nice of them).

Jucksalbe

Banned
That's okay. I didn't know people actually tried to cheat last time. I guess I should have posted my last few F-Zero times as Miiverse posts then.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Best MK and one of Nintendo's best and most memorable soundtracks. Oh, and the thwack noise when a kart gets hit... instant classic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
forgotten about this. so many good games coming out at once

question - if I buy this, then buy a download code for the game from GAME (have a preorder for the physical game as I got a trade-in bonus), then will I still get the discount? or do I have to buy the actual game from the nintendo eshop?

Robin64

question - if I buy this, then buy a download code for the game from GAME (have a preorder for the physical game as I got a trade-in bonus), then will I still get the discount? or do I have to buy the actual game from the nintendo eshop?

The discount will only apply if you buy it direct from the eShop. Using a code from Game won't work as you've already paid your price for that code.

Jucksalbe

Banned
No Super Mario Kart for North America this week (and with that likely not in April either), so it seems Europe has to play alone.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Bowser was my favourite in this game, amazing top speed and a goddamn tank when it came to sending people out of the track left and right

glorious game

What is this Virtual Console loyalty offer?

Was going to buy MK8 digitally anyway, so yeay!
The discount for owning it on Wii VC. Most people refer to it as an upgrade fee though.

As for the MK8 digital discount. A code from GAME will probably still work out cheaper then buying it direct from the eShop. Even with the Super Mario Kart discount.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The discount for owning it on Wii VC. Most people refer to it as an upgrade fee though.

As for the MK8 digital discount. A code from GAME will probably still work out cheaper then buying it direct from the eShop. Even with the Super Mario Kart discount.

They mean the discount you get when you already bought the game on the Wii.

Ah, yes of course.

muteki

My favorite Mario Kart.

Thing I liked most about it, looking back, is how challenging it was just finishing the final cup. You had ~3 lives, and actually needed them because it was so hard to stay on the narrow tracks with no walls.

Recent Mario Kart tracks are as wide as parking lots and have walls the length of the track, the challenge in just finishing isn't there any more.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Here's a Mario Circuit 1 time to get the ball rolling, though there's definitely room for improvement:

On your third try? Hmm...I think I might have some trouble competing here. Bowser and DK Jr. are completely identical, aren't they? I just like Bowser more.

Jazzem

On your third try? Hmm...I think I might have some trouble competing here. Bowser and DK Jr. are completely identical, aren't they? I just like Bowser more.

I have played a ton of SMK over the years so don't sweat it, in fact I did that trial shortly after struggling horribly on Rainbow Road in a GP!

I think Bowser is slightly heavier than DK Jr, so he has a slightly faster top speed but worse acceleration. I may be wrong though.

Top Bottom