• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart |OT| Before Shells Were Blue

Jucksalbe

Banned
Damn, I forgot you can save one ghost in this game. Would have been nice to keep my Mario Circuit 1 ghost.

50cc done! Damn, even on this class, the CPU racers can be complete gits if they get close to you.

On the positive side, when you're a bit ahead, you don't have to fear being shot by anything. At least until you start to lap the other drivers.

Jucksalbe

Banned
zlCfzRshuJAxwFlHdW

150cc done. :)

Guess I can go back to the Time Trials now. And it seems like I have to, Jazzem already beat my Mario Circuit 1 time.

Edit: My new Mario Circuit 1 time:

Miiverse

Jazzem

150cc done. :)

Guess I can go back to the Time Trials now. And it seems like I have to, Jazzem already beat my Mario Circuit 1 time.

Edit: My new Mario Circuit 1 time:

Miiverse

I must admit, I've been struggling to beat your times! I outdid Mario Circuit 2 but the rest I'm off by a second or two. I'm going to be addicted to this for the whole weekend :p

Also, thanks for the add!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Mario Circuit 2 was by far my worst time. I couldn't really do a complete race without bumping into something. I have to practice that track a bit more.
Glad to hear you're at least struggling on the other tracks. ;)

Jazzem

Mario Circuit 2 was by far my worst time. I couldn't really do a complete race without bumping into something. I have to practice that track a bit more.
Glad to hear you're at least struggling on the other tracks. ;)

That was me on Bowser's Castle, those thwomps frequently ruin otherwise solid runs...I'm dreading any future attempts at Rainbow Road!

Jucksalbe

Banned
lol, no. I've been getting better at getting consistent lap times, but my best lap time actually hasn't improved in quite a while, so there isn't much room for me anymore.
Would have been nice to get 1'01, though.

Edit: Finally got a time under 1'02:

Miiverse

If love to see them remake this as close to the original as possible, using modern technology. With Nintendo's current development skills it would take no time at all.

New Super Mario Kart

Add online options and I'd buy it on top of any modern versions.

sp3ctr3

Bought this game day1 bitd. Still play it regularly to this day. It is now a xmas tradition in my family. We duke it out on ghost valley 1 match race.

Truly one of the best games ever made and positively the best kart racer ever

GloveSlap

Would be amazing if this had 8 player online play and a course editor.

Best MK!
8 Players might be pushing it with the way the courses are designed. 2- 4 player online would be nice though. I played this online all the time on XBand in the early 90s so I know it is possible. Nintendo just has to put in a bit of effort for a change.

My affinity for this game is a bit of an oddity. I don't really like racing games or even other Mario Kart games, but this is probably my favorite game of all time. It is an absolute classic.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How does something like this happen?

(look at Peach's and Yoshi's times)

Do the final times and final positions get calculated at a different time?
In the original game the CPU players had a set speed they always drove at constantly. So it was easy to calculate their time since once all HUMAN players finished, there'd be no more obstacles to stop them in their tracks so the game can just do the math and figure out how long each one would take.

It's basically what "rubber band AI" is. When you knock a CPU character out of place, they always speed up or slow down to get back into their "proper" position. So when the last human finishes the game takes all the remaining CPU players and does the math. The game knows how long the course is and how fast the CPU character should go. So it's a simple matter of mathematics to figure out the remaining length they need to drive at the speed they're moving.

I assume the game randomly chooses what speed CPU characters will go which is why it's never the same people in first. (Imagine if Toad was always fastest) Not sure if it chooses their speed at game start or track start.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Who comes in first is usually decided by what character the player picks.
But it still doesn't explain how Peach can be faster than Yoshi in front of her. I guess the positions are determined when the race screen fades away and the times are determined when you cross the finish line.

Wtf is this shit?

I downloaded the e-shop version because I want to play it with my wife. Gamepad and Wii-remote.

Original text (e-shop):

Controller required: Gamepad
Optional: Wii-remote, Wii-remote with classic controller

It doesn't work. When I start the game it says "You can't play this game with the Wii-remote." Then the remote turns off and the game reboots.

I'm really angry right now. I want my money back.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Found this in the NintendoLife comments:

You can use the Wii Remote to control player two in Wii U Super Mario Kart. First of all hold down button 2 on the Wii Remote when you're first selecting Super Mario Kart on the Wii U home screen. The default Wii Remote controls are for button 1 to accelerate and button 2 to select and fire weapons/ items. You can then go to Controller Settings, and set up the B button to be able to hop, which is harder due to a lack of shoulder buttons, but it just about works.

Maybe that helps?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I finally played this in 60Hz when I popped into Super Potato in Tokyo.

So this is what I've been missing with 50Hz. Maybe I've been too harsh on the game.

iidesuyo

zlCfzRxDJW4soDVZFs

No I am not trolling you, I just wanted to check out how to post Miiverse pics.

I assume the game randomly chooses what speed CPU characters will go which is why it's never the same people in first. (Imagine if Toad was always fastest) Not sure if it chooses their speed at game start or track start.

If you choose Koopa, you'll always have Luigi as your arch rival. Choose the princess, it will be Bowser etc. The AI is really stupid and cheating as hell.

Thanks to the Quick Save I often try to shoot down the the guy behind me shortly before the race is finished, but I never made him to become worse than 4th place. At some point your rival will be replaced (Mario will replace Luigi for example).

Posting this just to show support for the leaderboards, cause I'm really not close to the records in this thread. Also, pretty sure I was much faster when I played this on SNES 20 years ago :-( Anyone care to share tips and tricks?

zlCfzR2kOB8duHV19R

Edit:

And another one to act as leaderboard filler :)

zlCfzR2k50ATT0aYmR

Top Bottom