• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart |OT| Before Shells Were Blue

HaNks

Banned
the cheating CPUs in this game give me nightmares, especially on the harder cups at 150cc. mad fun though, you just had to get skills. classic.

kZIzZJml.jpg

Doing this off my tablet, hope the pic isn't too big.

Edit: or not work at all.

I prefer the modern Mario Kart (MKDS was the first one I really got into, and MK7 is my favorite) but the SNES one is classic and great in its own way, and much better than Mario Kart 64 which I don't care for at all.

I'll upgrade when it comes to the US... Though these things should really be worldwide at this point. Where the hell is Mario 3?

thefro

Spent a lot of time playing the Battle mode against my friends.

I like it better than Mario Kart 64 on that front.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Popped my old PAL copy in and turning all annoys me to this day.

Maybe I should just practise in TT mode.

Also the CPU is just as unfair in this as newer versions. Mario is an arse.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, that's actually my snes.

I have to look at my copy later on. I don't even remember if I played the Time Trial mode since I re-bought the game.
Maybe I play it a bit before the VC version comes out, so I can notice the difference between PAL and NTSC version a bit more clearly.

Robin64

Dug out my yellow SNES but can't find the Mario Kart cart anywhere. :(

Not that it matters, 50Hz piece of crap. Makes retro gaming so frustrating here. I should pick up an NTSC SNES... :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I've been giving this game another go just to see if my memories of it are mistaken but yeesh. I know it's bad form to be negative about this game but honestly I don't get how people can call this game fairer compared to the more recent iterations with a straight face

CPU characters seems to have the power to repel you so you daren't drive into them because the only one who will suffer is you. They can jump over items. And lets not forget their infinite item spawning.

Robin64

Oh the CPU in this is a nightmare. Worst of all Mario Kart AI, for sure. Just drive on their set route, using items if you get close, and jumping over bananas. Like, WHAT.

7 feels a hell of a lot fairer than this mess.

Though 64 does have TERRIBLE rubber-banding.

Oh the CPU in this is a nightmare. Worst of all Mario Kart AI, for sure. Just drive on their set route, using items if you get close, and jumping over bananas. Like, WHAT.

7 feels a hell of a lot fairer than this mess.

Though 64 does have TERRIBLE rubber-banding.

All of these games have crap AI. I Just got done playing the Wii version with my son (7?). I wonder the message it sends - unleveling the playing field and punishing those ahead. Just drop the blue shell, POW, and lightening cloud while upping the AI.

Anyway, I still hold the original dear for nostalgia's sake. I loved watching my friends screw-up and take the narrow lead for a win.

Robin64

All of these games have crap AI. I Just got done playing the Wii version with my son (7?). I wonder the message it sends - unleveling the playing field and punishing those ahead. Just drop the blue shell, POW, and lightening cloud while upping the AI.

Anyway, I still hold the original dear for nostalgia's sake. I loved watching my friends screw-up and take the narrow lead for a win.

7 is the 3DS one. Thunder Cloud and POW Block are gone, and the Blue Shell is back to being land-based (until it flies above the leader at the end of its run)

Also the AI just feels better. If you're good, you'll win every time.

illadelph

I would love to see what a real, "new release" caliber OT would've been for things like Secret of Mana, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, and Lunar: SSSC.

We need to start "retro" OTs in this style. Seriously. That'd be amazing.

Yeah, best thing ever. Well done, OP.

I love this game, I used to have Super Mario Kart tighty whities growing up

One of my favorite racing games ever. I've played this over at a friend's house countless times when I was a young lad and was one of the reasons why I wanted a Super NES so bad (I believe the other reasons were Super Mario World and Contra III).

Ranger X

Best Mario Kart and still unmatched, especially for the battle mode.

The red shell was a TRULY strategic item back then and even Nintendo didn't realise how great it was since they butchered it and removed everything that was interesting about it right at Super Mario Kart 64. The red shell is thrown in the same direction your kart is facing and the speed your kart is going. That's what made it fantastic and this alone made the battle mode great and still the best even today.

TreIII

7 is the 3DS one. Thunder Cloud and POW Block are gone, and the Blue Shell is back to being land-based (until it flies above the leader at the end of its run)

Also the AI just feels better. If you're good, you'll win every time.
Agreed. Pound for pound, 7 is easily the most balanced game in the series. It was just lacking in content and characters, which thankfully, 8 looks to be remedying.

Only nostalgia allows me to go back to SMK and MK64. The games have a lot of jank about them, otherwise. It's like going back to the SNES port of SF2:WW.

mclem

Hmmm, I have my PAL SNES cartridge right here, I wonder if the times are still on it (unfortunately, I don't have a SNES set up to find out). They're not my times; my Mum was a *lot* better at time trial mode than I ever was, and she got some fantastic Mario Circuit 1 numbers.

Rich!

I love SMK. Picked up a JP copy for the mere price of £5 (I got it together with Yoshi's Island, and it was £10 or so for both of them!)

SFC is the way to go with SNES games, clearly. Dat artwork.

Since Heavy's Sandvich posted his PAL times, here are mine that were still on the cartridge:

And for the fun of it, the only other track I seem to have played for a longer time, Ghost Valley 1:

Can't wait to finally do proper times with the US version. :)

Sheiiiiiiiiiiiit, I have some competition.

Some practising to do as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I quite like the art on the PAL cartridge personally.

Since I've been rather negative in this thread here are the aspects that I still feel this game does better than the others:

Personal victory tunes.
Characters standing on the podiums.
The giant cheep cheep delivering the trophy and being blasted away.
Personal victory animation after winning the trophy - have a nice inventive to try everyone out.
Race not finishing the moment you cross the line thus the CPU's positions are not finalised based on where they were as you crossed the line. During your victory lap their positions can still change and this will be reflected in the results.

Obviously the increase in characters means not all this is feasible it the later games, but honestly the final results screen has never been as good as the SMK's.

Also later games don't even have the secret 4th place bad luck try again screen. :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So this is happening? Neat, didn't know it was coming next week! :) will try to get some good times for the board this time

Robin64

Confirmation from NoE's weekly downloads PR:

NoE said:
Special offer for Mario Kart 8 available to everyone who buys Super Mario Kart:
From 30/05/2014 until 30/06/2014 only, you will be able to save £5.49 / €7.99 on Mario Kart 8 if you buy Super Mario Kart at any time before buying Mario Kart 8 from Nintendo eShop!

(The discount is only offered if Super Mario Kart is bought first and between 27/03/2014 and 30/06/2014. Purchases of Super Mario Kart that are made taking advantage of the special Virtual Console loyalty offer also qualify. Both titles must be bought from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U.)

Ninja Dom

Posting here. I originally posted from the "Favourite Way To Cheese A Game" thread

Now this is a good one.

Super Mario Kart, 150cc only, Mario Circuit 2.

While your in the lead arm yourself with a banana. Race towards the jump. Before actually reaching jump lay the banana down before it, hopefully in the racing line the CPU follows.

The CPU is super aggressive on 150cc and they jump all obstacles. Including the banana you placed, jumping onto the wrong part of the course forcing them to go back around again and repeat.

The feather could be an amazing item if they put it in MK8. Could have use to avoid red/blue shells, or even project you in the air and let you glide over whole track sections! Too bad it won't be there.

Ninja Dom

Love the mechanics and aesthetics, but being limited to 2 players seriously damages this game's appeal for me.

But this game first came out in 1992. There were hardly any games the were more than 2 players. You would have needed a SNES Multitap and I'm not even sure if they were invented by then.

Yeah, best Mario Kart. I always loved time trials on this. Red shell and feather was also a very, very nice pair of items for making multiplayer racing and battle mode fun.

This game is in my all time top 5 games. I loved it to bits: the music, the gameplay, the bright graphics. So, so good.

My main time trial of choice was Koopa Beach 1 and timing my jumps to perfection over the dark sea areas to shave off milliseconds.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, I learned something new today. Apparently Koji Kondo didn't make any music for this game. :O

But this game first came out in 1992. There were hardly any games the were more than 2 players. You would have needed a SNES Multitap and I'm not even sure if they were invented by then.

I know, but it's not 1992 anymore. This game became obsolete for me as soon as MK64 came out, I barely ever dug it out after that. A 2 player kart racer just isn't useful to me anymore, even one as polished and playable as this. If it could be magically patched somehow, I'd play the fuck out of it again

Jucksalbe

Banned
I know, but it's not 1992 anymore. This game became obsolete for me as soon as MK64 came out, I barely ever dug it out after that. A 2 player kart racer just isn't useful to me anymore, even one as polished and playable as this. If it could be magically patched somehow, I'd play the fuck out of it again

Do you never play these games in singleplayer mode?

mclem

The feather could be an amazing item if they put it in MK8. Could have use to avoid red/blue shells, or even project you in the air and let you glide over whole track sections! Too bad it won't be there.

I think the reason we've not seen the feather in so long is simply because it's *too* powerful. Having to design defensively against a player who can fly into the air at any point is adding an awful lot of workload - and if they don't do it right, it'd be worse than the blue shell. Choco Island 2's feather shortcut is a testament to that.

Top Bottom