• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Bladelaw

I would love to talk about level design without it being lost in the shuffle. :) So many things I'd like to say about the quality of levels I've seen, tips, tricks...

For example, one big thing...think twice about every single bottomless pit/lava section in your level. AFAIK it's the only instant death in the game. I'd imagine pits are the single biggest killer thus far among all levels by all users.

Always think, do I really need this pit? Do I need this section where you bounce on paratroopas or bullet bills for an extended period of time, or even just do some tricky jumps on tiny mushroom platforms? Your level might be much better without it.

I would suggest to everyone that you should challenge yourself to make one or more levels with no pits in them at all, just relying on good enemy placement for difficulty. I don't think you'll regret it.

This is fantastic advice and exactly what I was looking for.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, I really wanted to finish this one, but I lost patience after a while. Needs mushroom or be more forgiving. Otherwise, it's extremely well designed with a clever bomb jumping part. Strangely jaunty music for a trepidatious bout of castle storming!

Was it the sub level that kept killing you? Since the game only shows death crosses for the main map I have no idea where people die a lot in the second area. I may consider putting a line of solid blocks to roof the passage so people can't smash them and give a mushroom as an easy fix. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to get round to playing your levels when I get back home.

(mat)

These comments make me super happy. This game is awesome. :)

tNS2tUw.jpg

Alpha_eX

Can we nominate some pet peeves?

For me, it's people who hide enemies in question blocks. If you do this STOP. It adds absolutely nothing and is fucking annoying.

What if the enemy is used to remove an obstacle or if it's a shell for a hat?

Not that I do this, but I've just thought of a fun idea for it :)

Oidisco

Well the block limitations may have messed up my castle stage. There's supposed to be 5 sections to the castle, each dedicated to a specific mechanic, but I've just finished my 3rd section and already ran out of room.
If I'm careful with how I remove certain blocks and coins, I might just able to make the final 2 sections since they require the least amount of blocks anyway.

I really don't want to remove anything though. I specifically designed the intro to the whole level to show off each game mechanic you're going to come across, and again at the start of each section I let you observe each mechanic safely one more time.

I need every single block and coin to make sure the whole level plays and looks great though. This is the 3rd level I've made that's ran out of blocks early on, it's frustrating!

Munter

What if the enemy is used to remove an obstacle or if it's a shell for a hat?

Not that I do this, but I've just thought of a fun idea for it :)

Indeed. They can be strategically used without being annoying.

I just wish people would put more thought into the levels that appear in the Easy mode.

BowieZ

Banned
Was it the sub level that kept killing you? Since the game only shows death crosses for the main map I have no idea where people die a lot in the second area. I may consider putting a line of solid blocks to roof the passage so people can't smash them and give a mushroom as an easy fix. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to get round to playing your levels when I get back home.
Nah, the furthest I got was the bomb hopping gap. I might try and reattempt it when I'm fresh!

Grym

For me, it's people who hide enemies in question blocks. If you do this STOP. It adds absolutely nothing and is fucking annoying.

For me it is invisible coin blocks right above a death pit where the creator knows you are going to jump. Once in a level..."haha, you got me with a cheap death. Clever!". I'm fine with that. The second time in a different location in the same level = instant skip. Not worth my time and I prefer a tough challenge over that sort of thing which just boils down to random frustration.

I'm looking for some play-through/feedback on this one. I'm working on tweaking it a bit so especially any problem areas you feel need changing/updating at all would be helpful. Also give me a creation of yours to try in return and I'd be more than happy to :)

On Cloud 9
WVW69iX_dJw3iUwocx

1A94-0000-0019-DD9A

I have a few things to say, but I don't wanna sound harsh. I did enjoy level, it's better than a lot of others Iv played but...
Missing a jump makes you start the whole level again is just annoying
The cloud section lasts too long when the considering the player isn't actually doing anything
The 1 up at the beginning feels unearned
And I had no idea how to run through all those enemies without brute forcing it

I only do this in Ghost Houses, and pretty much only for Boos. Nintendo have done it in ghost houses before for Boos as well. Ghost Houses are generally full of little tricks like that. They never do invisible kaizo jump blocks though, although Ghost Houses use invisible blocks often as well.

They should also add a ghost item element you can drag onto stuff. The NSMB series loves its fake items that turn into Boos that immediately fly away. I'm sure the kids would love making entire stages of fake doors.

They really need to add a Boo Cackle sound item as well. Shake to make it a Bowser Laugh, as a neat reference to Mario 64.

It's basically impossible to make a NSMB styled ghost house. So many of the neat tricks and traps those use are missing.

boxter432

Question: How has everyone been playing the game?

Building on the gamepad, playing on TV
Building on the gamepad, looking at TV as you build from time to time, playing on TV
Building and playing on Gamepad exclusively

I have been 99% gamepad, when I first fired up the game, I had the TV on, but since then I usually just quick start the game and then mess around with it with the TV on a tv channel or not on at all.

Munter

Building on the gamepad, looking at TV as you build from time to time, playing on TV

I have been 99% gamepad, when I first fired up the game, I had the TV on, but since then I usually just quick start the game and then mess around with it with the TV on a tv channel or not on at all.

Depends. I was catching up on TV shows last night while playing Mario 100 on the gamepad. I'll generally play on the TV and design on the pad while testing on the TV.

optimiss

Build on pad, game on TV. My levels feel more epic on a big screen.

Bladelaw

Build on Gamepad play on TV most of the time.

BooJoh

If I'm watching TV I'll just play or build on the gamepad.
When I'm building with the game on the TV I look at the TV for test plays.
When I'm playing other people's levels I use the Pro Controller. Thankfully this game is very nice about letting you just use any controller that's connected and powered on.

Grym

I have a few things to say, but I don't wanna sound harsh. I did enjoy level, it's better than a lot of others Iv played but...
Missing a jump makes you start the whole level again is just annoying
The cloud section lasts too long when the considering the player isn't actually doing anything
The 1 up at the beginning feels unearned
And I had no idea how to run through all those enemies without brute forcing it

Harsh is perfectly fine. I want to fix the frustration the level can cause.

The brute force comment concerns me the most though. The intent is for the player to use the Goomba Shoe to get across all the enemies. Any thought on how I can make that more obvious?

And you are very right about the cloud section being empty. That is particular the part I want to add to in a couple ways

Ok ive made a course for people who want to finish a level...

100% Completion - BE60-0000-003c-f0b6

WVW69iY9U2IucU3qHU

And one for the conspiracy theorists

Inside Job - 97d4-0000-003c-ce5c

WVW69iY9XOcssLPk4u

DarkKyo

Just finished my first level. Pretty happy with it! I'd love to get some thoughts, or maybe tell me if certain parts are too difficult. I'd say it's mid difficulty.

WVW69iY9U2M_dlMIAl

Hull Haunt
(A059-0000-003C-FEC6)

ramparter

Banned

Gamepad only but that how I play Wii U 99% of the time.

BowieZ

Banned
OK. The trick to that is just to hold down the jump button. Mario should move with the momentum automatically.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I could do it on my next go but it's not so much each individual section that is the challenge, it's all of them strung together without a mushroom, though I know you're already aware of that.

And one for the conspiracy theorists

Inside Job - 97d4-0000-003c-ce5c

WVW69iY9XOcssLPk4u
I can imagine this being reported and removed fairly quickly... lol :/

100% GamePad... ever since I showed it off to some friends on the first day.

xandaca

I've added another course, a remake of one of my previous (still unbeaten) levels, Bowser's Airborne Artillery... ONLY UNDERWATER! I wanted to do a sunken ship level and thought it would be funny if Mario were investigating the Artillery airship, assuming it sank after Bowser was taken down. Really pleased with how well it works, it's easier than on dry land and all the challenges work in a slightly different way. It's in the NSMBU skin rather than SMW, though makes no difference (other than, perhaps, emphasizing that the level is technically a sequel).

Bowser's Undersea Artillery - 0575-0000-003C-E1DB - New Super Mario Bros U skin, Underwater setting, Low-Medium difficulty.

PREVIOUS COURSES
Bowser's Airborne Artillery - 5450-0000-0032-C96F - Super Mario World skin, Airship setting, Medium-High difficulty.
The Beginner's Guide To Mario - F140-0000-0039-9D1B - Super Mario World skin, Standard setting, Low difficulty.
Mario Bros Arcade: Reloaded - 0A05-0000-0030-A74C - Super Mario Bros skin, Underground setting, Medium difficulty.

(And two I'll probably delete when I hit my upload limit, as they're the first I made and nothing special)

Manor Madness - 3509-0000-0028-38F8 - Super Mario World skin, Ghost House setting, Low-Medium difficulty.
Head Hop Heights - 78DC-0000-0027-E2FF - Super Mario Bros skin, Standard setting, Low difficulty.

Well the block limitations may have messed up my castle stage. There's supposed to be 5 sections to the castle, each dedicated to a specific mechanic, but I've just finished my 3rd section and already ran out of room.
If I'm careful with how I remove certain blocks and coins, I might just able to make the final 2 sections since they require the least amount of blocks anyway.

I really don't want to remove anything though. I specifically designed the intro to the whole level to show off each game mechanic you're going to come across, and again at the start of each section I let you observe each mechanic safely one more time.

I need every single block and coin to make sure the whole level plays and looks great though. This is the 3rd level I've made that's ran out of blocks early on, it's frustrating!

If you need solid obstacles that dont count as blocks use pipes as your walls

I recommend that everyone play your own levels on both the TV and game pad while designing them!

Sometimes you want one coin at the top of the screen to let someone know they should explore, but the TV might have some overscan that would make it tough to see.

Or sometimes you want something hidden just off screen that you don't want people to see too early, but again, your TV has a bit of overscan and the game pad shows you what everyone else will be able to see no matter what.

Utilize both when thinking about how you lay out your screen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM PLAYING YOUR LEVELS FOR THE NEXT TWO HOURS.

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

You still playin? Check these out:

A Haunted Hop, Skip, and Jump (F0AB-0000-003B-17B2)
- Has three paths, one pretty well hidden, maybe try and play all three?

Koopa Cavern (632E-0000-0033-B6B4)
- Two paths on this one, and a wide variety of little hidden areas throughout

Harsh is perfectly fine. I want to fix the frustration the level can cause.

The brute force comment concerns me the most though. The intent is for the player to use the Goomba Shoe to get across all the enemies. Any thought on how I can make that more obvious?

And you are very right about the cloud section being empty. That is particular the part I want to add to in a couple ways

Using coins to show the intended path and maybe leave the shoe out in the open and force the player to land into it... Maybe, or make the section shorter, so the player only looses the shoe, but isn't being in danger just after. Surviving because of I-frames just feels bad to do.

I'm reposting this since literally no one has played it and I put time into it man.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

Ultima_5

I wish more people would try to play my attempt at a standard Mario 3 level :/ most of my plays are on my gimmick levels

To the clouds! 2e67 0000 0026 9bd6

Grym

Using coins to show the intended path and maybe leave the shoe out in the open and force the player to land into it... Maybe, or make the section shorter, so the player only looses the shoe, but isn't being in danger just after. Surviving because of I-frames just feels bad to do.

I'm reposting this since literally no one has played it and I put time into it man.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

thanks much for the feedback. it helps. I'll do a run through of your level in a moment.

PSqueak

Banned
Once again, I'm impressed by your level design... and boggled by its difficulty. I so consistently feel like I'm on a much lower caliber than your levels, and especially so if this rain of fire is "very easy". Like, even your "fundamentals" level felt like it went "Rage of the Gods" mode on me halfway through.

I do love your levels and that's why I have you followed, but dang if they're not humbling to me.

I think after losing so many of my little marios to the overwhelming number of kaizo levels in the 100 mario normal and expert challenges warped my conception of what an easy or hard level is.

GulAtiCa

WVW69iY3V9gp3TQg1-

SMW: A Day's Walk (C608-0000-003A-BBEF)

A new stage from me, more of a normal Super Mario World type level. Let me know what you think!
That was really fun! Thank you for sharing :) left you a star. It felt like a real mario level, which is a good thing.

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to start working on more "normal" levels in style of Super Mario World. So my next few levels won't really be gimmicks, more stuff you might see in SMW.

Gurrry

If i make a few edits to my uploaded level, do i lose the stats of that level (stars, plays, etc)? I have a decently popular level but dont want to lose the stars on the stats page

BFIB

So I've never bought into the Amiibo stuff. Honestly, this is the first time my Wii U has been fired up in a year or so.

So what extra benefits does an amiibo offer? Does each one do different things for the game?

Bladelaw

Has anyone found success using tracks + auto scroll without creating a frustrating experience? I'm thinking of making something where staying on the track is hard but has fewer enemies and more physical obstacles, while if you fall off you're in a bit of trouble via enemies but have more freedom to move since you're not a sitting duck on a platform. I'm also wondering if this is a gimmick that can carry a whole level.

It's tough to know where the line is on where to change up a level to keep it engaging. I'm hoping the varied obstacles keep the idea alive.

BooJoh

I'm looking for some play-through/feedback on this one. I'm working on tweaking it a bit so especially any problem areas you feel need changing/updating at all would be helpful. Also give me a creation of yours to try in return and I'd be more than happy to :)

On Cloud 9
WVW69iX_dJw3iUwocx

1A94-0000-0019-DD9A

-The invisible blocks at the beginning cause several deaths before you realize how many of them there are. This isn't inherently problematic for me, but a lot of people are going to skip your level if they die a couple times in a row at the beginning (one of my levels has a similar hidden block trap and most deaths are there.)
-As someone else said the first 1-up should just be a coin
-The Mystery Shroom felt a little arbitrary, but a little whimsy never hurt anyone.
-I'd put the Goomba's Shoe somewhere on the ground but where it can't kill itself, and replace the koopas with pirhana plants with just chompers like you'd expect in a goomba's shoe segment in a normal Mario game.
-The Thwomps also felt a little out of place.

Other than those things, the level is more playable than most that I get thrown into on 100 Marios. But the sky section is your biggest problem.

-First of all, the vine at the beginning of the level is incredibly easy to find and lets you skip the entire ground section. What I would suggest is probably to just have some platforming to work your way up and left from the end of the ground area to some standard cloud-style platforms above, maybe some minor obstacles - no pitfalls to the ground - and a lakitu that you can get up to and steal his cloud. It might work even better if you could just put the cloud section in a sub-level. Maybe a vine at the end of the ground section leading to a pipe in the sky.

Oidisco

If you need solid obstacles that dont count as blocks use pipes as your walls

Yea I know, but I focus so much on creating context and believablity in my levels that throwing in random pipes as walls would completely ruin it for me. In the Rescue Yoshi level it wasn't a big deal since that level was designed to be open and have lots of movement within the walls, so hollowing them out and placing Spike-Tops made it work out fine and dandy.

But in this new level it's designed to be a cramped and slightly awkward castle so I need a lot blocks! I also need it to be cramped so that it completely contrasts the intro and end-goal of the level, where it's much more open with a lot of room to breath.

Honestly if they seperated coins from the block limit it would really help!

SuperJay

(bump) Legend of Zelda: Ganon's Revenge (E9AE-0000-0039-9511)

Please let me know what you think! Got some great feedback so far!

Top Bottom