• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

JRBechard

ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM PLAYING YOUR LEVELS FOR THE NEXT TWO HOURS.

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

ZDY9S2y.jpg

Raid Bowser's Floating Fort - 9DEF-0000-0033-41C8
Return to Subcon - 3584-0000-0029-2568

WonderPup

If anyone is so inclined, please give my levels a try. They sit somewhere in the easy-medium difficulty range. I wanted to make levels that didn't have a lot of the frustrating elements I'm seeing right now. I tucked secret areas into them, too.

Not the Cruise I Paid For...
3D07-0000-0032-D9BF

Pipes Galore!
1F74-0000-0030-CC85

I'm looking for any feedback anyone may have. Please let me know what you liked and what you didn't like. Also, if you've been making similar levels, please let me know. I'm looking for like-minded creators to follow and would love to play some levels like these.

You'd probably have to use something like the P switch and have a trail of coins where you want platforms. Can you put flying wings on coins in Mario Maker? If so maybe you could do those to make the platforms feel more organic?

Well the idea was that you'd have minimal idea of where to go until the coin shower comes, so the trail of coins would be counter-productive. But that is an interesting idea I might work into a level.

In the mean time, here are 2 short/medium levels I designed. Both are pretty standard mario levels that are fairly forgiving, with a couple of paths and hidden areas. Any feedback is welcome! I'll probably start playing through everyone else's level when the weekend comes

VSiTWei.png

5dQNg2b.png

Kiro

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

It ain't easy. But deserves some love.

8D34-0000-003A-BE02

BowieZ

Banned
Sure yea, I'd like some more feedback on this level.

Rescue Yoshi!
8B79-0000-0030-F171

It's a very traditional style Mario level (or so I've been told). It's not very difficult, but the level has a lot of secret paths and ways to speed things up if you want to speedrun it and make things harder for yourself.
Yeah this is also a very good level, with enough space to breathe and bits of challenge here and there with the air of a real living breathing cave that you're exploring. The actual getting of Yoshi and leaving that area was a bit cramped, I'm assuming it is meant to be a cage/prison sort of thing but it could have played better, otherwise a very well done ending, and overall satisfying! Great work!

Yuterald

Tree of Genesis: 7679-0000-003A-83D3

Feedback much appreciated.

Lombaszko

FIY
I know the OT has a great spreadsheet for people to put their best levels forward, but I am starting to put all the posted level codes and names from this thread in a GAF user created level Google Sheet.

I'll keep chipping away at lunch today but I'm caught up to post #1200.
Ugh, having second thoughts about a master spreadsheet. I keep running into situations where someone has deleted and re-uploaded a level, so it's dawning on me that there will probably be a lot of broken level IDs. So I don't know if I should continue to work on the spreadsheet until I can think of a better way to make it work. Sorry guys!

BowieZ

Banned
Name: Thuddert
Title: Marioary
Description: Super Mario World ABC. Great for starters.
ID: 73FC-0000-0028-6208
WVW69iYcjLkzwcoS93
Hey, this was extremely simple but I guess that's what you intended! Thought the pipes bit at the start was overdoing it a bit. I think if you're going to teach players how to play, don't be afraid to challenge them a bit more! Otherwise good work, but I have no idea what Marioary means? lol

Anyone want to test my level?
Didn't get any response yesterday so I'm a little bit disappointed :).

I uploaded it as a draft so I can take the feedback and re-upload it.
It's the second level of my first world I'm creating.

WVW69iYtuagCTwmIoF

6B3D-0000-0035-B1B9

There are 3 hidden 1-ups and 100 coins to collect.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm making these courses thick & fast.

My latest: Hello, Captain Falcon

WVW69iY7saEAgb6vO4

522E-0000-003C-6C98
This was pretty good but really only a third of a level. Expand on this concept and it'll be great! I think maybe try and spend longer on one single course and see how your creativity and choices evolve by expanding it rather than only churning out bites sized unrelated concepts.

Oidisco

Yeah this is also a very good level, with enough space to breathe and bits of challenge here and there with the air of a real living breathing cave that you're exploring. The actual getting of Yoshi and leaving that area was a bit cramped, I'm assuming it is meant to be a cage/prison sort of thing but it could have played better, otherwise a very well done ending, and overall satisfying! Great work!

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it!

The idea behind rescuing Yoshi actually came very late into designing the level. Originally that Yoshi was just there for creating atmosphere. While making this level I remembered the Yoshi house in SMW, so I decided to add a bit of a story to the level using that Yoshi and a Yoshi house.
But yea, it was cramped just so I could be sure the Spike-top couldn't get out. I probably could've done a better job of it.

And I still hate that I called it Rescue Yoshi. I wanted it to be a bit of a surprise that you come back to the beginning to save him but calling it Spike-Top Cave doesn't sound very exciting, and I obviously I wanted people to actually play it!

devonodev

Ugh, having second thoughts about a master spreadsheet. I keep running into situations where someone has deleted and re-uploaded a level, so it's dawning on me that there will probably be a lot of broken level IDs. So I don't know if I should continue to work on the spreadsheet until I can think of a better way to make it work. Sorry guys!
I'd probably give up on it sadly, there's always going to be so many people posting new levels, and others deleting theirs so they can upload more, that's too much to organise on your own.

If you want to continue it though feel free lol

There's discussions happening in this thread that are completely fractured by the constant spam of level codes. What happened to the separate thread for user-made levels? Honestly, I just want to talk about the game because it's badass and am wondering why this game doesn't have a second thread.

Sephzilla

I have a few if you're still doing this. Don't have to do them all, but (not to toot my own horn) I feel like I have a few solid ones.

Touch Shrooms, Get Messy - (36A2-0000-003A-9B82)

Totally Tubular - (3195-0000-0033-6E54)

Junior's First Airship (DCD3-0000-0033-6DB8)

Wall Hopping & The Hammer Bros - (C797-0000-0033-3B34)

Game of Thwomps - (2030-0000-0032-A10D)

Pipes, Plants, and Peril - (10B4-0000-0030-ABB9)

Captain Bowser's Pirate Fleet - (DD3D-0000-0030-C5B6)

Lombaszko

I'd probably give up on it sadly, there's always going to be so many people posting new levels, and others deleting theirs so they can upload more, that's too much to organise on your own.

If you want to continue it though feel free lol

Thanks, yeah. I saw someone suggest that we have a database of just GAF users and those individuals maintain their own separate pages. That's probably the best solution but asking people to do that is a lot. At least it's all being captured in the thread, it's just moving so quickly!

There's discussions happening in this thread that are completely fractured by the constant spam of level codes. What happened to the separate thread for user-made levels? Honestly, I just want to talk about the game because it's badass and am wondering why this game doesn't have a second thread.
Yeah, there should probably be a Community thread for code sharing.

BowieZ

Banned
Awesome!

Here's one I made last night:

Yoshi Will Forgive You, Probably
A9AC-0000-003A-4682
Pretty cool, simple Yoshi sacrifice level! Be careful when placing fast approaching enemies on an out of sight platform, and avoid blind faith jump sections (the start of the wiggler track), but otherwise it was a well designed cave area with a consistent flow and design :)

devonodev

Mods decided that since sharing levels is a main part of the game, they should be shared in the OT, locking any other level sharing threads.

A decision I do not agree with.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a stage I was finally able to finish with all the tools available.

1-1 dlroW — 3DA3-0000-003C-B7E3

Sure, it might be a little shameless, but it's also interesting to go through a course you know so well backward.

CO8u4bWUsAA2fJY.jpg:large

zhixson

Pretty cool, simple Yoshi sacrifice level! Be careful when placing fast approaching enemies on an out of sight platform, and avoid blind faith jump sections (the start of the wiggler track), but otherwise it was a well designed cave area with a consistent flow and design :)

Thanks man! I'll start the wiggler higher and have it descend a bit before the final jump. Do you think a novice at the game would pick up on the idea quickly enough? I tried to spell out the buttons you can press but I'm worried that they might think I'm giving a shout out to some random rapper or something and then just get stuck.

Mods decided that since sharing levels is a main part of the game, they should be shared in the OT, locking any other level sharing threads.

A decision I do not agree with.

That's disappointing because personally I'm far more interested in discussing the game in general, its limitations, reasonable DLC additions, etc. So the problem is it's pretty much impossible to have any kind of discussion thread since three or four level code posts (at least) will have popped up by the time anyone can see to answer or chime in.

BowieZ

Banned
Sky Pirates Never Die: 1285-0000-0028-EAF9 <---My most played and successful level

Get Hurt and Smile!: 4780-0000-0017-661D <---This is my favourite one
I liked GHAS! Interesting and much fairer play on the shrooms kill you gimmick, where you alternate between needing them and not, and you don't have to start from the start of you falter. The design could be a bit neater and more streamlined in places, but otherwise good job! Very fun.

E-phonk

Banned
That's disappointing because personally I'm far more interested in discussing the game in general, its limitations, reasonable DLC additions, etc. So the problem is it's pretty much impossible to have any kind of discussion thread since three or four level code posts (at least) will have popped up by the time anyone can see to answer or chime in.

While I understand the reasoning I agree that this thread is almost unreadable for a normal conversation because of all the level sharing posts in between.

People sharing their own levels should do it in a seperate community thread like we do it with most games. We could still discuss/share levels in the OT that are truly exceptional that we came across for example.

Here's a stage I was finally able to finish with all the tools available.

1-1 dlroW &#8212; 3DA3-0000-003C-B7E3

Sure, it might be a little shameless, but it's also interesting to go through a course you know so well backward.

CO8u4bWUsAA2fJY.jpg:large

A friend of mine on another forum made World !-!, which is 1-1 upside down which is nuts. He had to place a lot of strategic paratroopas to let you get through it.

I can't find the code for it at the moment.

So just made my second level.

If anyone wants to check it out:

vMI1FIm.jpg

It has shortcuts and more than one way to finish it.(although you have to find it, and may prove harder than you expect. It's not an easy level but not unfair.

Played your course for the Lost reference alone (and left my own Lost reference for you in a comment), and I'm glad I did! It's got a fun concept and it's sufficiently tricky but not oppressively difficult. Good job! It didn't necessarily blow me away, but I also don't have anything negative to say about it. Looking forward to seeing what else you do!

I've been trying to design levels which progress in difficulty, and introduce new elements to the player in a similar fashion to how Nintendo design their courses.

My first World is using standard Super Mario Bros elements.

My second World is using those elements not originally in Super Mario Bros, but I am starting to think the difficulty has increased too fast.

Anyway, I thought I'd share them here in case anyone is interested...

I like the concept you're working with a lot, so I went through and played all of your courses (so far)! I ended up starring all of them except for 1-2, which I felt was kind of bland and didn't really "flow" as well as the rest of your courses; everything just felt too scattered and "loose" in that course, if that makes sense.

The rest of them, though - great job! Again, I really dig the overall concept of this series of courses and I like how they have a lot of visual polish on top of being fun and intelligently-designed. The time you clearly spend on refining your levels from a visual standpoint and making them look "official" really makes a difference IMO, and it helps your courses look a great deal more authentic (in an official Nintendo sense) than all the run-of-the-mill, let's-place-random-elements-in-random-places courses out there right now.

All that said, I very much agree with your own criticism that the difficulty ramps up way too quickly in the World 2 courses. It's only World 2 (of how many?), but based on how simple, straightforward, and "big picture" your World 1 courses are, the W2 courses feel like they should be in World 4, maybe 5.

I hope you continue this series and see it through to the end, whatever that is - I will certainly keep playing them!

If you guys could check one, some, or all of my courses out and provide some feedback as well, it would be much appreciated!

Step by Step... - 6583-0000-001B-F23D
The Prince's Morning Swim - C265-0000-0027-A3FC
Fun with Super Leaves - 6305-0000-0036-BF85
Contra: Mario Corps - 1599-0000-0036-CE11
Big Problem, POWerful Solution: CD31-0000-003B-80F8

BowieZ

Banned
Please have a go of my level.

Name: I'll have a P, please Bob-omb
Code: C446-0000-0038-0DF9

Cheers!
This was a pretty good level with a couple of nice bob-omb puzzles, but I think I got stuck at the end cos I was big Mario. You shouldn't force the player to hurt himself unless it's part of the level gimmick I suppose. A bit cramped with some narrow deadly platforming in places but enjoyable to play/solve for the most part!

B_Bech

Played your course for the Lost reference alone (and left my own Lost reference for you in a comment), and I'm glad I did! It's got a fun concept and it's sufficiently tricky but not oppressively difficult. Good job! It didn't necessarily blow me away, but I also don't have anything negative to say about it. Looking forward to seeing what else you do!

I like the concept you're working with a lot, so I went through and played all of your courses (so far)! I ended up starring all of them except for 1-2, which I felt was kind of bland and didn't really "flow" as well as the rest of your courses; everything just felt too scattered and "loose" in that course, if that makes sense.

The rest of them, though - great job! Again, I really dig the overall concept of this series of courses and I like how they have a lot of visual polish on top of being fun and intelligently-designed. The time you clearly spend on refining your levels from a visual standpoint and making them look "official" really makes a difference IMO, and it helps your courses look a great deal more authentic (in an official Nintendo sense) than all the run-of-the-mill, let's-place-random-elements-in-random-places courses out there right now.

All that said, I very much agree with your own criticism that the difficulty ramps up way too quickly in the World 2 courses. It's only World 2 (of how many?), but based on how simple, straightforward, and "big picture" your World 1 courses are, the W2 courses feel like they should be in World 4, maybe 5.

I hope you continue this series and see it through to the end, whatever that is - I will certainly keep playing them!

If you guys could check one, some, or all of my courses out and provide some feedback as well, it would be much appreciated!

Step by Step... - 6583-0000-001B-F23D
The Prince's Morning Swim - C265-0000-0027-A3FC
Fun with Super Leaves - 6305-0000-0036-BF85
Contra: Mario Corps - 1599-0000-0036-CE11
Big Problem, POWerful Solution: CD31-0000-003B-80F8

I'll play all of your stages, Ash. I'll give you some input when I'm finished. Care to play a few of mine?

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/B_Bech/posts

colinp

Banned
WVW69iY89c0YW06Wtg

I Keep Having the Same Nightmare (8016-0000-003C-D144)

Ahahaha, I really enjoyed making this level. Amazing how time flies with this game.

How much is the MSRP of the Mario 30th Anniversary Amiibo supposed to be? I see it generally sitting between $25-30 on Amazon but I can't tell if they're jacking the price.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I finally finished a half decent under water level (I hope
Any feedback is much appreciated, I did spend a while on it.

My other levels if your so inclined, I've had some good words from gaffers on these

Hold Jump To Bounce off Enemies!
(56D5-0000-0034-56CF)
Level where you can almost never touch the ground and must bounce and wall jump to make it through

Flamin' Walls? Follow The Coins!
(A9A4-0000-0019-2255)
Mostly me playing with the wall jump ablility.

Forkball

Maybe put some Galoombas on a track or tracks? Or maybe some shenanigans involving a conveyor belt? Either of those possibilities sound like they could lead to fun, humorous situations.

I already have that. The problem is that they get stuck if two conveyor belts that have opposite directions are next to each other.

I wish you could make enemies even bigger with multiple mushrooms. The galoomba grew but then spit it out, what a tease.

Thud

Hey, this was extremely simple but I guess that's what you intended! Thought the pipes bit at the start was overdoing it a bit. I think if you're going to teach players how to play, don't be afraid to challenge them a bit more! Otherwise good work, but I have no idea what Marioary means? lol

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to create a safe place while traveling underground through pipes, two of my favorite things in SMW. I was gunning for a 100% completion rate, but apparently there are two failed attemps.

The coins spell A (Jump), R (Spin Jump) and Y (Dash). So I just tagged it on Mario and it became Marioary. Almost sound like a word lol. I did put some extra incentives to collect like the coins above and the star in the end. I'll definitely remake it with a bit more action and some more fun stuff.

It was designed as something I would play as a kid, but I probably won't get feedback from them. I think that's one of the major issues the game has. My next SMW level will have a bit more challenge. I'll get back to it after I finish some of these levels.

Anyway share your level as well and I'll play it :)

Sephzilla

My Galoomba stage isn't going as well as I thought it would be.

Give me galoomba related ideas.

Have pipes that spawn Galoombas and then you need to jump off Galoombas in order to reach a platform in order to progress the level. Alternatively, you could build the level around using stunned Galoombas to take down other tougher enemies like Hammer Brothers or Lakitus.

BowieZ

Banned
aight.

Title: Raiding Rocky's Air Ride
Style: Super Mario World: Airship
Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Idea: You've been tailing Rocky Wrench's airship for months, and you finally found them anchored high in the mountaintops. Board the ship and take back what they've stolen from you! (And of course you can steal some of their treasure as well)
Secrets: Well you'll have to find those for yourself. : )

98A3-0000-0038-2E02
Very good level. Found a few 1ups! I wasn't sure at first if I missed something when I hit one of the p switches, I thought I had to use it to unlock a pathway but anyway got to the end somehow and was satisfied! Great design with the ship!

Model 500

Ok :)

Just finished a new level.

UFO: STAGE 02
COURSE ID: 0671-0000-003A-121F

zau4mdb.jpg

Decided to make a fast video preview showing two different approaches to this level so people don't have to jump in blind, check it out:

https://youtu.be/-nlc374T4Xw

I'm mostly aiming for classic fun / skill based platforming with nice speed run opportunities as well.

See you!

Bladelaw

How much is the MSRP of the Mario 30th Anniversary Amiibo supposed to be? I see it generally sitting between $25-30 on Amazon but I can't tell if they're jacking the price.

I got it for standard Amiibo price (~$12-$13)

Top of Page edit:
Ugh...up till 3am making levels. I'm trying to tone down the difficulty in my courses while still keeping them interesting. I made a couple hell courses yesterday that were fun for me to clear but that's probably all it appealed to. I see a lot of gimmick courses and that's nice but I really want to try and tap into some of that classic level design magic that made the original Mario games so appealing.

So I went back and replayed Super Mario World for inspiration. It's funny because there's a lot of trial and error bullshit in there. Some castles and ghost houses have at best a hint of where you want to be with no indication of how to get there. Granted with Ghost Houses the puzzle is expected. The regular stages are a mix of easy and tricky (secret exits). Basically if you have the feather you can skip 90% of the levels. The memorable levels are the ones that don't expect you to have anything and give you all the tools needed to pass the challenge. There's a Forest Maze level where you need Yoshi to grab a spring board a couple screens back and bring it to a tall pipe so you can jump over. It's a simple puzzle but it's satisfying to complete.

There's also the Mario 3 desert level (2-1 I think) with the turtle shell block smash puzzle that leads to a coin filled bonus area.

I guess I'm looking for ways to make the player feel empowered without trivializing the level. What I've learned from those games is that sometimes that's how you empower the player. They feel like they "got one over" on the designer when you can just cape/raccoon through the level when really the puzzle was getting and keeping the item to the place where you could make the most use of it.

Another example of this is 4-1 in the original SMB. Having a fire flower (and not using the warp) can make the floor much more traversable without trivializing the threat the lakitus/spikeys create. There's some truly excellent level design out there, hopefully I can integrate some of that knowledge to make something in the Goldilocks Zone

Grym

I'm looking for some play-through/feedback on this one. I'm working on tweaking it a bit so especially any problem areas you feel need changing/updating at all would be helpful. Also give me a creation of yours to try in return and I'd be more than happy to :)

On Cloud 9
WVW69iX_dJw3iUwocx

1A94-0000-0019-DD9A

BowieZ

Banned
Storm the Stronghold - B2BC-0000-002F-46C3

I think I had a decent concept for a level but I think I may gotten a bit lazy/introduced random concepts with the sub map and it could be tightened up a bit so feedback would be nice. I've been told I'm too mean with the lack of mushroom so I know I need to look into that (but I fear it would break the level since smashable block are part of the aesthetic I'm going for).

One tip, remember hammer bros have a simple pattern if you're patient and observant.
Yeah, I really wanted to finish this one, but I lost patience after a while. Needs mushroom or be more forgiving. Otherwise, it's extremely well designed with a clever bomb jumping part. Strangely jaunty music for a trepidatious bout of castle storming!

PS I loved the drawbridges!

I would love to talk about level design without it being lost in the shuffle. :) So many things I'd like to say about the quality of levels I've seen, tips, tricks...

For example, one big thing...think twice about every single bottomless pit/lava section in your level. AFAIK it's the only instant death in the game. I'd imagine pits are the single biggest killer thus far among all levels by all users.

Always think, do I really need this pit? Do I need this section where you bounce on paratroopas or bullet bills for an extended period of time, or even just do some tricky jumps on tiny mushroom platforms? Your level might be much better without it.

I would suggest to everyone that you should challenge yourself to make one or more levels with no pits in them at all, just relying on good enemy placement for difficulty. I don't think you'll regret it.

B_Bech

WVW69iY8qjAh3JvgEi

It Ain't Easy bein' Ollie

(BF91-0000-003C-B50B)

Okay so I really LOVE this stage. The idea came to me when I purchased the Olimar amiibo at target. I had him next to my anniversary Mario amiibo... and I was like hey, this one makes you big... the other makes you small. Why not combine the two? So you run through the same course twice, once as Mario and the second time as Olimar. Hope you guys play this one and have a blast because it sure was fun to make!

optimiss

6ZsyNgd.jpg

Hassle Castle
E9F6-0000-002A-20B5

This level is a series of little vignettes that highlights the uniqueness of SMB3. It is of medium difficulty. Please enjoy!

BowieZ

Banned
Alright I missed out on 14 makers who quoted my post, I'll get around to them later. No more quotes please lol!

Meanwhile, if anyone was so inclined to give me some feedback, try my two levels!

Here's my second level, "Whacker Mole Hollow". Took me over 30 hours to make! Whew. Hope someone digs it! This one has a bit of a cunning ending, hope it's fun to figure out!

Code: 029E 0000 003B E066

ImQkR8T.jpg

D3mm2FO.jpg

And my first level, "Cheep Shot Grotto," more of a speed-running friendly level, with a handful of secret sections.

Code: 9499 0000 002A A377

VwnZwzB.jpg

JBNp81r.jpg

Remember, play for play, feedback for feedback! :D
Whoever the one person was who solved the end of Whacker Mole Hollow, I salute you! (In hindsight I could probably have made the way to activate the coin switch a bit more obvious :p)

Is the 8bit Amiibo worth it as far as game unlocks goes?

It's like $28 on Amazon with Prime shipping right now...trying to decide if I should jump on it.

Top Bottom