• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

zhixson

ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM PLAYING YOUR LEVELS FOR THE NEXT TWO HOURS.

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

Awesome!

Here's one I made last night:

Yoshi Will Forgive You, Probably
A9AC-0000-003A-4682

I've finished the massive NeoGaf Part 2 video and it's uploading - will be released in the next few hours. It's just over a hour long so a big night for me.

Here are a couple videos to keep you entertai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJBU7_-XXw - Levels by the SuperMario Maker FB Group. Some nice simple designs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqOxW6WNPks - Levels by my own friends.

One course is a nice Cat style level and the later ones are "Dark Souls" type levelsiswhere I lose my shit .

Enjoy and I will update you all when the video is finished uploading.

Don't forget to use the handy spin jump in the NSMBU style.

The first level is obviously for experts' eyes only but satisfying in a harrowing anxiety inducing kinda way, but the koopa to the three piranha pipes leading to almost certain death is needlessly punishing. Could tweak things a little bit to make it a tiny bit longer but a little easier would be much more satisfying.

Noted and appreciated. I'm kind of attached to that bit because it requires such precise timing but yeah, it's hard as balls. I can't even do it consistently. I guess I need to find a way to keep it in but make it more forgiving. And yeah, could do with being a little longer.

Thanks

Nintenleo

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

Sky Pirates Never Die: 1285-0000-0028-EAF9 <---My most played and successful level

Get Hurt and Smile!: 4780-0000-0017-661D <---This is my favourite one

StayDead

Pretty good, but a bit short! Could have done with one extra section. The bob-omb jump is a bit hard since you didn't allow us to practice it safely first and it's a bit cramped. There are some annoyingly spaced flame torches. Otherwise I enjoyed the layout and the secret cloudy bit. Good work!

Thanks! I couldnt work out what else to add so finished it when I did haha.

Munter

Please have a go of my level.

Name: I'll have a P, please Bob-omb
Code: C446-0000-0038-0DF9

Cheers!

Big One

Banned
Finally figured out how to post screenshots via the power of tumblr. Here's some of the Zelda level I created:

tumblr_nupxoar6ls1tpjmwuo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nupxpx5jiX1tpjmwuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nupxu3ec4z1tpjmwuo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nupxvrchzU1tpjmwuo1_1280.jpg

Chain-Chomp Mountain - 15F3-0000-003C-54CB

devonodev

Funnily enough I found your secret vine immediately lol, but otherwise without that, the first spring jump is needlessly hard especially with an angry wiggler disrupting you into a small red koopa patrolled platform. Otherwise a fun diversion, with a nice P-switch trick.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes I suppose that jump is a bit hard, I struggle finding that good balance in difficulty

BowieZ

Banned
Play my four :)

It's called Run, duck, stop! Hammer Time! E280-0000-002D-EE88
Worms, Wires and trapped Bowser 65DA-000-0030-CE45
Leading A Bowser To Slaughter 21CA-0000-0036-2C35
Is it a bird, a plane? It's Mario! - 0C62-0000-003C-15B3
Of course I had to play the one with a title involving slaughter. Very fun! Somehow I managed to carry a spring all the way through the airborne section. Got confused and killed at the boss after the invincibility stars. Probably the airborne autoscroll section is a bit too long and slow so I have no desire to go through it all again. Also probably a few too many enemies and cramped in places. Otherwise a fun design and a thrilling adventure while it lasts!

Gsnap

aight.

Title: Raiding Rocky's Air Ride
Style: Super Mario World: Airship
Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Idea: You've been tailing Rocky Wrench's airship for months, and you finally found them anchored high in the mountaintops. Board the ship and take back what they've stolen from you! (And of course you can steal some of their treasure as well)
Secrets: Well you'll have to find those for yourself. : )

98A3-0000-0038-2E02

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Storm the Stronghold - B2BC-0000-002F-46C3

I think I had a decent concept for a level but I think I may gotten a bit lazy/introduced random concepts with the sub map and it could be tightened up a bit so feedback would be nice. I've been told I'm too mean with the lack of mushroom so I know I need to look into that (but I fear it would break the level since smashable block are part of the aesthetic I'm going for).

One tip, remember hammer bros have a simple pattern if you're patient and observant.

I've been hard at work creating a full four worlds worth of courses and I'm halfway there. I'm trying to create stages with increasing difficulty that could seem like an actual progression of Nintendo made courses. I'm dying for feedback other than "Too many coins" or "It's OK..."

Pesca 1-1
(1597-0000-0014-8573)

Pesca 1-2
(2796-0000-0016-2B01)

Pesca 1-3
(04E3-0000-001A-902D)

Pesca 1-4
(4BAB-0000-001B-70A0)

Pesca 2-1
(9D0E-0000-002D-ED62)

Pesca 2-2
(9548-0000-0034-46B8)

Pesca 2-3
(74BF-0000-0037-8B8B)

Pesca 2-4
(AB64-0000-003B-2495)

BowieZ

Banned
Might as well repost some of my levels. Take your pick:

Joy of Spring (C659-0000-0031-016C)
Mariotroid (FB8C-0000-0027-BFE5)
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle (5985-0000-0018-8690)
A bit over springs and Metroid, so I went with Mushroom Split. Very fun, fair, though a little random in places with no clear idea; I'm presuming there were two alternative paths? I went along the upper one if so. I think there could be more of a unifying idea. I liked the idea of the bullet bills on the moving platforms. Otherwise, pretty cool work!

Gurrry

I woke up this morning to check my level and it has 8 stars!!!! The most of any of my levels!!! It has a clear rate of 23%, which I thought it would be higher... so I might want to edit it.

If anyone wants to check it out, here is the ID for SUPER MARIO BOMBSKET-BALL!!! Go get yo-self a DUNK!

Bombsket-Ball - 5928-0000-003A-DD78

Jucksalbe

Banned
A bit over springs and Metroid, so I went with Mushroom Split. Very fun, fair, though a little random in places with no clear idea; I'm presuming there were two alternative paths? I went along the upper one if so. I think there could be more of a unifying idea. I liked the idea of the bullet bills on the moving platforms. Otherwise, pretty cool work!

Thanks. Yes, there are several opportunities to continue on a lower path.
Btw., that "spring" in the title was meant as the season not those trampolines. Only occured to me afterwards that that could be misunderstood. ;)

JoeM86

Of course I had to play the one with a title involving slaughter. Very fun! Somehow I managed to carry a spring all the way through the airborne section. Got confused and killed at the boss after the invincibility stars. Probably the airborne autoscroll section is a bit too long and slow so I have no desire to go through it all again. Also probably a few too many enemies and cramped in places. Otherwise a fun design and a thrilling adventure while it lasts!

Well a tip for the final boss if you do play it again, I only use arrows when there's a reason to, not to denote the direction you have to follow ;)

Pooxi

Neo Member
Yeah.. I lost that one too. First time I grabbed it before I lost the previous one. Second time I lost it immediately to a ghost. Third time I would've lost it as soon as I grabbed it because of the ghosts. Hate those floor/ceiling ghosts. They can pop up anywhere.

So after playing that Metroid U level and thinking about what you said, I think I'll scrap that kind of cryptic secrets and just put a respawning leaf in the sub-boss room. It will make the level a bit easier, but also a lot less frustrating.
Now I feel like I actually learned something about game design haha. Thanks!

Can't wait to get home to fix it and re-upload it.

Since I got Mario Maker I've been toying with this Splatoon-themed level in my head. Its based on the level where the paths are invisible and you paint to reveal them. I thought about doing the same with hidden blocks and use coins (shot from pipes etc) to reveal them temporarily.

Now that I finally unlocked hidden blocks (didn't time skip or play a lot), I tried making the level, but I discovered you can fall right through unrevealed hidden blocks, and they can only be revealed by hitting it from the bottom. Does anyone have any idea for a workaround? I just want something you can stand on thats invisible.

R00bot

Skinny Land

16CB-0000-003B-D12C

Hope you enjoy it, I thought it was a pretty neat concept, although the execution could have been slightly better.

BowieZ

Banned
Here is the second stage I made. I think it's better than my first one.

Please comment or critique. Anything to help me improve would be great.

Hilly Hillside

(E1B2-0000-003C-2C89)

WVW69iY64PUwV29WY-
Woops, missed this! Gave me a bit of a SMB2 vibe at the start for some reason. Was very good until I started getting pummelled by a goomba throwing lakitu I had no warning about, otherwise pretty fair and satisfying level. Lakitu cloud I initially used backfired when I fell in your final gap. lol

Lombaszko

Now that I finally unlocked hidden blocks (didn't time skip or play a lot), I tried making the level, but I discovered you can fall right through unrevealed hidden blocks, and they can only be revealed by hitting it from the bottom. Does anyone have any idea for a workaround? I just want something you can stand on thats invisible.

You'd probably have to use something like the P switch and have a trail of coins where you want platforms. Can you put flying wings on coins in Mario Maker? If so maybe you could do those to make the platforms feel more organic?

Dad

Long Gone Mine
666D-0000-0036-F091

Appreciate you taking the time to play a bunch of levels and leave feedback for everyone. I might do something similar this weekend when I have more time

ramparter

Banned

Piped Panic (BFEE-0000-0023-0D87)

Thank you. Appreciate every feedback. Also it shouldn't take you long it's a short one.

Symtendo

Challenge accepted:

2174-0000-003C-7AA7 - The Great Escape

VandalD

Got enough levels yet?

Explore the Drybone Lair (8342-0000-0029-F6E2)

I'm so damn sick and tired of these auto-Rube-Goldberg machine levels... these "gimmick" levels and sadistically, ultra-difficult levels!

I need a way to weed out all that trash and find well-made, fun and not rage-educing levels.

Guess i'll just have to keep making my own lol.

I'll post a few up here eventually.

Anyone have any good suggestions for someone who just wants more classic SMBW-esq levels?

OmegaDL50

Woops, missed this! Gave me a bit of a SMB2 vibe at the start for some reason. Was very good until I started getting pummelled by a goomba throwing lakitu I had no warning about, otherwise pretty fair and satisfying level. Lakitu cloud I initially used backfired when I fell in your final gap. lol

I've been debating to get rid of the Lakitu to be honest, but I wanted some kind of enemy variety since I don't have much unlocked.

The problem is the level doesn't scroll up to account for him being there. I've been spamming all kinds of blocks on the Maker and I haven't gotten past the Underwater unlocks yet.

In any case. That is the maximum length of a stage not including the sub-level. So once I get the sublevel unlocked I can double my stage sizes.

SuomiDude

On my featured courses I think I see one by Koji Igarashi? It could always be fake but the account is IGA and the level is Castlevania 3 styled. In case anyone is interested the ID is E983-0000-0012-FB0D.
I just played through his (assuming this is real IGA) 2 CV stages and the original CV stage shares lots of similar ideas with my stage, kind of interesting coincidence :)

BowieZ

Banned
Here are mine that ended up being the last post in the previous page:

Appetizer
773B-0000-003A-8260

WVW69iY6tkox7uaoaS
WVW69iY6uQkH10Vu_j

Steppin' Out
A705-0000-002E-5128

WVW69iY6zw0tvvx9EM
WVW69iY61oMj_Apubv

Water-resistent
54FF-0000-0031-AC8A
WVW69iY62cMMiDQ931
WVW69iY6yQsM0c-B1R

ABC's Castle
A8F2-0000-0033-A1D0
WVW69iY6wTsjuJwzWQ
WVW69iY6vl83QNwxzY
Going with water resistant as I haven't done any water in a long while. Was fun, but probably a little too simple filled with at least 50% too many enemies to compensate. Try a level that's a little bit longer with slightly easier sections that makes the player feel rewarded for getting through them onto the next, not a huge sigh of relief. Otherwise good start! I died in the 5 1up area and was determined to go back again and get them all and finish it :p

Macheezmo

The Mushroom breaks the level, as you can just spin jump through the pipes. Either do Mario 3, or if you stick with SMW and want to provide something to allow Mario to tank a shot, you'd have to use Yoshi or Beetle Helmet.
I always forget about the spin jump. I think I'll just switch it to mario 3 when I get home today. Thanks!

After having very little interest in this I watched a few of the more interesting levels and caved and ordered it.

I always wanted to mess around with creating games, I hope this will be the thing that finally gets me into game creation.

That Waluigi level looks like the highlight so far.

Metroid 1 - Tourian

GKncuZZ.jpg

Edit: almost forgot the code (09CE-0000-003A-BB19)

Video play through (note that I show some secrets and tricks to beating the level):
https://youtu.be/yTocC6UAzBc

This is a remake of the Tourian area of the first Metroid. I went for accuracy, but the lack of vertical areas cuts some of the level short. It's pretty tough I think, especially the final area. Metroid vets may mistakenly assume you have to shoot your way through. I can beat it every other try but that's probably only because I know the patterns by heart. Here's hoping we get meltable ice blocks as dlc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
After playing a bit, I have to say that keeping physics consistent across styles while granting slightly different item/ability sets was the right call for the dev team to make.

Switching between physics from one level to another would be a bit too jarring, but it's nice to be able to still design around specific game rules.

kazinova

EDE3-000-0034-299C - I'm pretty proud of the timing on the one saw blade. You'll know it when you see it.

BowieZ

Banned
I'd love to hear what you have to say about my levels, but I can't really say they've been ignored. >_>

Maybe you could do my latest one, I haven't heard what people think of it yet.

City of Ruin: D8A6-0000-003A-6A98
By far my favourite level yet. Simple, effective, great design and atmosphere, perfect amount of enemies (for a somewhat challenging castle level of course), did it on my first attempt but still felt like I accomplished something challenging.

Would recommend! <3

jnWake

Hate to quote myself but I could really use some feedback for my levels.

Level 1: Use the Shells!

Use Koopa Shells to advance. It starts super easy and has some trickier parts later but it's easy overall. To reach the top of the flagpole you need to find the secret path.
ID: 551C-0000-0032-58EF.

Level 2: Climbing Goomba City.

Run through Goomba City while using both Goombas and moving platforms to get to the goal! I'd say it's pretty challenging.
ID: D075-0000-0034-B953.

Level 3: Bullets in Koopatlantis.

Explore the hidden city of Koopatlantis while dodging bullets!
ID: 6FB6-0000-003A-ED9A.

SuomiDude

I decided to try my hand at a single screen level, and ended up taking inspiration from 1001 Spikes. Hopefully it's not too difficult. I can beat it pretty easily and well within the 100 second time limit.

Mr Video Game and the 101 Spikes

WVW69iY5FSAZ7LCjpx

6C45-0000-003B-72E2
Took me about 10 tries, pretty good level, and doesn't take long to get back to the part where you fail. Becomes quite easy if you figure out the easy way to the spike jumps
just walk and jump, don't run

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been debating to get rid of the Lakitu to be honest, but I wanted some kind of enemy variety since I don't have much unlocked.

The problem is the level doesn't scroll up to account for him being there. I've been spamming all kinds of blocks on the Maker and I haven't gotten past the Underwater unlocks yet.

In any case. That is the maximum length of a stage not including the sub-level. So once I get the sublevel unlocked I can double my stage sizes.

You can cheat and draw a massive square of blocks and just copy and paste it a lot.

By far my favourite level yet. Simple, effective, great design and atmosphere, perfect amount of enemies (for a somewhat challenging castle level of course), did it on my first attempt but still felt like I accomplished something challenging.

Would recommend! <3

:eek: Thanks!

this game definitely needs some more on-line finesse.

Every level should come with a link which appears on your Mario Maker online profile.

You should be able to post the links in forums and when people (who are signed into their profile) click them, they get added to their "to play" list in the console.

When they get to their Wii U, all the levels they clicked will be automatically cued up to play, one after the other.

Agreed. One big oversight is not being able to easily jump in the levels from your friend's list contacts. You have to literally write down a level code and then follow them. There should be a specific category that lists all of your friend's courses without the haggle.

Also, while the online is serviceable I just don't see the top most starred changing soon, which is a shame because they're pretty meh. A lot of "don't move" levels with the odd N64 or whatever "remake." The most interesting levels are buried way down or somewhere else completely. It's a crappy category.

vikki

I've posted a few stages here and there, but I'd like to put all my levels in one place for you all to test them out.

Monado Speed: Pretty much a speed run, but I did add some help to those who don't like to shoot through the stage.

HMr1FBr.jpg

6E64-0000-002D-002E

Castle Boss Punch: My attempt at a castle stage. It's not really easy.

GIYvfwJ.jpg

58F7-0000-0037-E804

Sci-fi Thrusters: Run of the mill Airship stage. Definitely my best stage yet, and fun. It has it's little secrets, but it's prety straight forwars, and I followed the themes fairly well.

q08BoUE.jpg

8432-0000-0039-C15A

Falling With Style: My first stage. It's not all that easy and I had barely unlocked anything at this point.

A70C-0000-001F-77F9

m0t0k1

Is it possible to reverse the enemy spawn to the opposite side? I want to do some right to left platforming. But all enemies will kill themself if they walk towards the other side into the pit instead of mario.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is it possible to reverse the enemy spawn to the opposite side? I want to do some right to left platforming. But all enemies will kill themself if they walk towards the other side into the pit instead of mario.

Place a block so they bounce back.

1up

Mad Dash!

523E-0000-0028-0887
rJzS70N.png

Top Bottom