• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
New level after finally unlocking Super Mario World and the Sound FX packages. First stage that actually feels polished. Let me know what you think.

King Boo's Castle
WVW69iY-Engf8VrGKs

8F0D-0000-003D-6567

Kriken

Quick question I don't think has been answered yet, does anyone know of a chart that shows what the pitch is for each area for note blocks? i.e. where to put a block for A sharp or something close to A sharp and whatnot? Just curious as I'll play it by ear if there's nothing around yet

DTU

Banned
What's an average amount of stars to get for an average stage, and how many stars do I need to get a new upload spot?

My first level, Spikey Dave, has 5 stars now! ..And only 14.54% completion rate, which I find strange, because it wasn't designed to be brutal.

2cCDIXu.jpg

Spikey Dave & Pals
C900-0000-0035-3813

Dave Fever is catching. Hope you all try it and have a great davesperience.

I've caught Dave Fever, as well!

PSqueak

Banned
Before i forget to ask, how are y'all making rounded/circular tracks? i only seem to be able to make them angular but i have seen people make curved ones.

McNum

Usually subvert expectations. Things showing up in places they wouldn't normally, a P switch puzzle (with a way to reset it). Go outside the bounds of the level.
Oh, I got the subversion part down already, I just need to find objects versatile enough to work
both sides up
. I should do something with moving platforms on tracks, I think. Koopa Heights was the straight version. This will be different. Also, I haven't used the sawblades yet. That might work, too. I wonder how the speed compares between platforms and sawblades on tracks...

Hello everyone, I have created my first full level. I can easily say I've never had as much fun creating something like this. After playing expert 100, I can say I was quite tired of all the horrible level design and gimmicks (as many of you) that plague most levels. I hope that this is NOT that.

Chompin' at the Bits
3DD4-0000-003D-783B

I tried to go for a consistent and fun theme! It's not designed as a challenging stage, though there are plenty of platforming and awareness challenges. There are a few secret routes leading to an optional sub world. I would love to get some feedback after the stage has been explored a few times. It is definitely meant to be explored a couple times to find all you can do. Hope you enjoy!

Now I can finally get to playing some of the unique levels I've seen in this thread.

BowieZ

Banned
finished whacker mole hollow. I figured out the trick a few games in but another game for me to figure out how to activate it. I think its obvious enough but the tight time limit is probably what's hindering more people from stumbling onto it.
I appreciate that you gave it a few attempts to finish it! I kinda regret not putting a big arrow or something because yeah especially with the time limit and no checkpoints it's a bit too sneaky and subtle as is.

I tried the first one - wow - great effort. Haven't managed to clear it yet (got frustrated dying towards the end). I'm constantly looking for a way to get back to the area at the top of the beginning section. I hope it's possible...
Thank you!

Yes, there are three coin heaven sections all reachable from pipes. You can't get up to the first one?

PS for the clever players, you can actually complete the 3 coin heaven sections in one run... ;)

It's amazing how long it took me to figure out how to make enemies big. I tried shaking them and when that didn't work just figured it would be an unlockable feature. Goddamn. So obvious yet not at the same time.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone mind trying this out? Very short, also any input to improve the premise would be great.

Betrayal: EF1A-0000-003B-4470

5OdgZDB.jpg

Nerdy Neko Nikki 0AB8-0000-003D-7C08
Made this in the Castle so people might have a chance of ending their 100 Mario with a Nikki Costume, and you might die if you're extremely reckless.

But if you guys want some Castlevania levels of insanity....
1sP5qac.gif

09a4-0000-0029-f074

"That seems fine, think I'll go ahead and upload that"

Getting quite sick of 100 Mario Challenge at this point.

I knew it would only get worse as more people were playing. It's basically a perfect representation of no restraint and how the majority of gamers just don't have an eye for design or doing anything worthy playing.

At the very least I would say the best thing for someone is creatively corrupt is to just use one of the sample courses as a starting point and make adjustments from there.

Robin64

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod150204&categoryId=cat10007

Half of my easy mode 100 Mario Challenge levels have been this, but usually you're given infinite stars right before hand.

Yeah, this was just a spam of flowers and you had to take the hits, getting the axe before you took too many. Awesome..

jholmes

I beat expert last night and there was exactly one level I would recommend.

Didn't get stuck with anything quite like the above but I did hold down the - button quite a bit in the back half.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the lowest point is when I came across the tutorial level completely unchanged.

Actually no. It was a level that was just note blocks in this formation

Code:

All the way to end of the level and all the way back. Filled with a gazillion SFX blocks. Unfortunately this was before I realised comments gave stars so I basically rewarded them when I really want to just tell them off.

Of course since the standard of levels is so low I've found myself starring just OK levels just because they are better than the rest of the ones I've played in the 100 Mario set.

Kriken

I finally completed a expert 100 Mario challenge, but there really needs to be a floor for completion percentage allowed or remove the 1-up cap. I should not be limited to collecting 3 1-ups for levels that have a 1% or lower completion rate

Kouriozan

The worst it that they are indeed getting stars for stuff like that T-T
Sometime I see a comment "fun level" and wish I could just downvote :lol

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well the lowest point is when I came across the tutorial level completely unchanged.

Actually no. It was a level that was just note blocks in this formation

Code:

All the way to end of the level and all the way back. Filled with a gazillion SFX blocks. Unfortunately this was before I realised comments gave stars so I basically rewarded them when I really want to just tell them off.

Of course since the standard of levels is so low I've found myself starring just OK levels just because they are better than the rest of the ones I've played in the 100 Mario set.
Comments being tied to stars is such a stupid move. But maybe I'd feel different if my levels were filled with hate comments.

Dreavus

They should add a counter to how many times your level gets skipped

I'm hoping one exists in the back end even if it doesn't show the creator that number, but even then legit levels could be skipped if the person doesn't feel up to it. I feel like we badly need the ability to leave negative feedback to sort out the trash levels, no offense to the creators of course (many of whom are probably kids). Withholding a star doesn't seem like it does enough.

FrsDvl

If anyone wants to give my 2 levels a try. It's nothing special, i wish I had the skills likensome of you!

CFDF-0000-003D-98A8

4554-0000-003B-58CA

Give them a try if you have nothing else going on.

E-phonk

Banned
A "normal" SMW stage, tried to focus on traditional stage design:
3138-0000-003D-A0BC

It has a few challenges but everyone should be able to finish it without a problem.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm hoping one exists in the back end even if it doesn't show the creator that number, but even then legit levels could be skipped if the person doesn't feel up to it. I feel like we badly need the ability to leave negative feedback to sort out the trash levels, no offense to the creators of course (many of whom are probably kids). Withholding a star doesn't seem like it does enough.

My suggestion from another thread:

Another easy solution might be to have more feedback

when skipping
Why do you want to skip this level?
1 This level has unfair gameplay mechanics
2 This level is too hard for me
3 This level is boring
4 This level is offensive
5. It's a good level, but I just don't feel like playing it right now

If a level gets a lot of 2's as feedback, bring it to expert mode, levels with 1 & 3 get shown less, levels with 4 get moderated and levels with 5 get left alone.

On finishing
1. This level was too easy
2. This level was challenging
3. This level was too hard!
3. This level was boring
4. Perfect level - I enjoyed it! (stars level)

Kriken

They should add a counter to how many times your level gets skipped

I have a course with over 100 attempts and zero clears, it is a difficult but fair course for the most part, but I concede it does not belong on the 100 Mario challenge whatsoever.

So that feature where I can trace mario's jump trajectory....how many days do I have to wait for that feature?

Bottom left corner, day 4 iirc

AdanVC

Anyone else feels desmotivated after creating levels and see how quickly they get buried between the thousands of levels being uploaded at the same time? :( It's a good thing we have the OT to share them but yeah. A tag system on course world would be nice...

edit: Damn, top page :(

Hasney

Decided to do quite a traditional level, so a couple of tricky jumps but nothing insane!

Bowser Lurks Below!

FFDF-0000-003D-AA92

WVW69iY-licC8zbtpD

Any feedback welcome, know the fire flower near the end of the main path is kinda pointless, thought I had more space

Gonna try some others posted now :)

windfish

I tried my best to make a balanced level and yet only 4,54% completion so far...
I guess my desings are not mainstream enough? ..or maybe people are just not patient enough when you got the choice between so many stages :/

Would love to hear your feedback guys :)

20EF-0000-0031-3C19

Ferrio

Banned
I tried my best to make a balanced level and yet only 4,54% completion so far...
I guess my desings are not mainstream enough? ..or maybe people are just not patient enough when you got the choice between so many stages :/

Gotta remember the average player has trouble running. Watching my friend play was pretty much "oh ya.. I'm not a normal person"

I always put twice as many mushrooms as I think are needed, as most people seem to skip a stage after they die once.

Top Bottom