• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

tribal24

Banned
Reposting a level I posted earlier today, for the night people. It's based on The Empire Strikes Back. I'm hoping it gets popular enough that I can see some cool Empire-based Miiverse drawings:

WVW69iajNn8gJIgkFZ

Stario Wars: M-Pire Strikes Back

CB51-0000-005E-DB75

what do those gray arrow boxes do? do they switch gravity or something?

You need evidence.
Follow the culprit.

After doing that it should be more obvious.

Maybe I'm being particularly dense, but this didn't make it that much more obvious.
The beetle shell got knocked off, and the culprit is stuck in the shed thing. What's supposed to happen?

EDIT: Thanks, Miiverse!
Didn't know you could wear things in original SMB

Kebiinu

Banned
Guys, guys!! I just finished my latest level, and I would love some feedback/impressions! I worked really hard on the design, and pacing.

Rescue in Sky Fort!
V6OUWsI.jpg
MHoGbaa.jpg

Oh no! Yoshi's been kidnapped and it's up to Mario to infiltrate the Sky Fortress and help him escape! All the entrances are heavily guarded, so sneak in through the jail cell, and make your way around from there! Be careful, I think I saw an ominous figure donning a green spiky shell...could it be?!

Stage ID: 42B9-0000-0064-111F

And if you enjoyed that, be sure to check out my other stage! It's similar in scope, and I utilized a lot of the experience in this stage to build the Sky Fort one.

Big-Tall Mountain
kuXduET.jpg
nmpav75.jpg

Unrelated to the infamous Tall-Tall Mountain portrait of Peach's Castle, Big-Tall Mountain is similar in name alone. It's here we have Mario scaling the outskirts, caves, and cliffside of Mushroom Kingdoms forgotten tower. Where giant mushroom spores accelerate growth to surprising degrees, and those lost forever inside the caverns live on to become shuffling corpses. Can Mario reach the peak?

Stage ID: 9BD9-0000-005E-AF76

Hope you enjoy it :)

I just uploaded 4 new levels, my first world in my own Mario game called Super Vader World. These levels have something that I assume no one has attempted in this game. One of the best parts of Mario games are the secrets and secret worlds. So how do you have secrets in a game that doesn't allow any cohesion between levels? Well this is what I came up with.

Play the levels in order! And good luck discovering the secrets. This being world 1 it's pretty simple. I will only link to stage 1, find the rest on my profile in the game. Remember do it in order.

Grass Land 1-1 (SVW)

(C95F-0000-0063-D76B)

WVW69ian9vAK5zMPLG

WVW69ian-NYZEIcIEh

AniHawk

an unlikely elevator service - my second attempt at a vertical level. this time it's far more focused on that aspect. more or less exploring some ideas. yoshi/kuribo can actually help a lot with the feeling of 'going up' in interesting ways.

cee1-000-0064-317f

and a repost of 'a gozer the gozerian dilemma' which is the more fun of the two recent ones: 53bf-000-0060-576d

Gsnap

Guys, guys!! I just finished my latest level, and I would love some feedback/impressions! I worked really hard on the design, and pacing.

Rescue in Sky Fort!

Really really good. Not only do you have a good sense of aethestic design, and not only is your ability to create illusions of space and progression via sub-worlds really smart, but your moment to moment gameplay is really tight and well thought out as well.

I especially loved how this level made good use of folds in the level design to make the most out of the space by traversing the same areas or obstacles under different conditions. Like the first section inside the fortress where you introduce saw blades. By going underneath them (where they can't hurt you) and playing the first gameplay challenge with the jumping fire and the dry bones, then going up the moving platform and forcing the player to go back to the left, you're able to actually introduce the exact same saw blades to the player in a new, unique gameplay challenge. It's simple, but it's brilliant.

And then of course there's the section right before you get Yoshi where you have two paths, one of which you can't use yet. Then you get Yoshi and retread the same space in a different way.

You need to keep making levels. You're good at it.

The only thing I'd say should be changed is the flip blocks that you have to hit above the elevator platform in the first room. I think you should either remove them or you should add a safety net underneath the player instead of lava. If the player doesn't think to jump to activate the flip platform the impact will actually shove them downward and they'll fall through the elevator platform into the lava. It's a little awkward, and not really a good way for players to die, I think. I even know how flip blocks work and it happened to me. I noticed them and reacted one second too late and I was dead. And maybe it's just me, but this didn't seem like a significant enough gameplay challenge for it to be something I could die to. I don't think removing it would detract anything from the level.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, this is the first level I'm posting here and I'd really like some opinions. I was going for one of those "Endless Runner"-like levels from the newer Mario games, where Mario is running the whole time.

So in the level, the only way to clear it is if you hold run the entire time. I also put arrows where it's suggested to jump and air stall, just in case the level is too tough.

Level: The Fastest 20 Seconds

WVW69iaoOHMI4COCiO

Course ID: 418c-0000-0064-3DAC

I would really appreciate any feedback. Please try my level, it's only 20 seconds long! :p

AniHawk

Alright one more and I'm off to bed.

I made this huge level where you have to decide the route you are gonna take. Most of them lead to the end but the choices you make decide the difficulty.

Took me a long time so I hope you are gonna enjoy this. :)

Fortress of Choices
ID: A41A-0000-0062-99F0

choices.png

this was neat! i like offering the player multiple ways through a level if possible, because if you get stuck on something, there's at least one other option that hasn't been tried. the only thing i'd have to ding the level on is putting enemies inside question blocks when that's not really the gimmick of the level. that might be more of a personal discipline though.

Ferrio

Banned
Hey guys, this is the first level I'm posting here and I'd really like some opinions. I was going for one of those "Endless Runner"-like levels from the newer Mario games, where Mario is running the whole time.

So in the level, the only way to clear it is if you hold run the entire time. I also put arrows where it's suggested to jump and air stall, just in case the level is too tough.

No screenshot (How do you take a Wii U screenshot?)

I would really appreciate any feedback. Please try my level, it's only 20 seconds long! :p

Sure, mind trying mine?

KfiNLb3.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Rescue in Sky Fort!

Wow dude. This was a phenomenal course, it felt straight out of SMW for real. It's clear you put a ton of work into it. My only real complaint is the part where you need to break the wall with the bob-ombs that drop right there. There's no point to that part, and it only serves to waste time. That's the only part I didn't like, but even with that, it was honestly one of the best courses I've played so far. Keep making 'em!

Easiest way is miiverse. Also when you post a level it automaticaly posts on the miiverse of the game, so go to your miiverse feed and should be there

Can you view Miiverse on a computer?

AniHawk

No screenshot (How do you take a Wii U screenshot?)

i left you a star but i didn't complete the level.

i think that if you have to use arrows to show where to air stall, you've already lost the game. a better guide is usually coins, as they show how long a jump ought to be. also, air stalling is a move that might be taught earlier in a somewhat safer environment, at least once to have the player get used to doing it since it only belongs to nsmb.

it reminds me of the nslu with the firebars, where the correct move is to always keep running, but there are small variations of strategy in that level that can get you through to the end. it's also more forgiving. one thing i would suggest is perceived danger. perceived danger being like the thwomps at the beginning - you're actually in a safe area as long as you keep running, and it's hard not to and there's no real reason to turn back anyway. some of the double-tall buzz saws could have been singles. the firebars on land and the ones on the wall jump seem fairly unnecessary as well.

basically, the level is really hard and people need to train themselves on it to get through it. unfortunately, the part at the end with the countdown jumps (which is a fun idea) doesn't work the way you might want it to because for some reason the camera doesn't zoom to the platforms when you're running across them, so you lose mario at the top of the screen and it's unclear whether he's moving and jumping off a platform.

Okay folks, got a new one. I know/assume Zelda homages are tired but I hope mine is at least a little different and enjoyable.

Ganon's Lost Shrine (7EA2-0000-0064-3CE9)

ganons%20lost_zpsibeqvohr.jpg

Set between Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link. After Ganon's death, Link gets word a necromancer is working on reviving Ganon and all his minions. He is said to operate out of a trap-filled chapel that sits on a sea of lava.

Not a ton of enemies here, only a few to make you have to think about timing. This is a careful movement level - no cheap deaths or pixel-perfect jumps or anything, just a fair amount of thinking before committing.

Check out my other levels too, and if you leave a comment I always try to return the favor!

AniHawk

Rescue in Sky Fort!

i think the best part about it is that it has a really beautiful aesthetic. you make great use of both themes to create a nice scenario. i also like that the second path opens up for the escape route once you 'rescue' yoshi.

Dacvak

Saw one person complete it, was rather surprised. Wish they allowed more pipes.

Finally completed it. I still have no idea how you made that.

Dacvak

AniHawk, your "Unlikely Alliance" level was great.

Alright you guys. I've made a full stage called Flappy Mario ! Obviously inspired by Flappy Bird, haha. The main stage isn't very hard to clear, however, I encourage you guys to try to find all the secrets in this stage. 100 total coins up to grab and 3 1Up mushrooms all up for grab !

Hint:
Check one of the pipes, something about it look odd, doesn't it ?

C6CA-0000-005A-B5AD

Please do give feedbacks if you have a chance to play the stage ! I spent quite a few hours working on it and I hope it satisfies all sorts of platforming itches Mario players have ;) Once again, I know you guys are all Mario pros here, so try to look for the secret stuff. The main stage is easy by design because it's supposed to be referencing Flappy Bird. The secret stuff is as close to a typical Mario stage as it can be, so please give it a go !

Okay, I got a chance to play this! I enjoyed it quite a bit, except:
- The 1up block near the fireflower in the secret area might as well be a troll block. It sent me to my doom as I was jumping to the right many a time.
- Some of the jumps up above are pretty tricky in combination with the fire-spitting piranha flowers shooting stuff at you. I managed it by using the temporary hit invincibility but I'm not sure I could make it otherwise.
- The thwomps in the bottom right of that area being so low that you have to wait for each one rather than running past them is a real bummer. I would end up restarting because i'd rather swim back to the start point than wait for those thwomps. I'm probably just impatient though... I kept getting mad at myself for falling XD

Overall a fun level and I enjoyed it, despite the spoiler text stuff there!

Dacvak

Here's the level I made that has the most stars for me.

Course: * this level & I will * yours

WVW69iY0Fskv6hl8w8

43 Stars / 117 people
66 Clear / 692 Plays

ID: BBB8-0000-0038-EA85

Despite its really stupid, pathetic name, I hope it's a fun course. Please give me some feedback on it!

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

These were good Mario 3 style levels.

Try Bounce on Big Bob-omb! (76F3-0000-0061-F95A) and look on my profile after for the rest. I'd say almost all my levels are like that except for Shell Shock and Magicant.

This was good. I almost ran out of bombs to jump on a couple of times. I don't know if the level isn't scrolling fast enough or if I'm just jumping on stuff too early.

I make Mario-ass Mario levels.

YUjkqkd.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo
5AE2-0000-0030-E6D6

LspLzlP.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier
C366-0000-0051-9CCD

CRtQ0AF.jpg

Shell Dome
E489-0000-0046-D2E4

yLFmwIy.jpg

Fireproof Factory
FA27-0000-0061-B566

Fireproof Factory might be a little out there though.

EDIT: I think I might rely on the "Start in the overworld, immediately go into sub-level, level takes place entirely in sub-level" style too much. At least for SMB 3 it feels so wrong to end a level anywhere but the overworld though.

I only finished Fireproof Factory and the water one. Those were pretty good. That water level was some slow and tight maneuvering, though. I also felt like I was finding a bunch of mushrooms and 1ups, but no fire flowers.

Chain Chomp Zoo - I like the idea for the theme and what you did with it with the graphics, but there's just so many chain chomps so close together and all over the place. I died a few times from a chain chomp I didn't see coming falling on my head and I'm dodging chain chomps on top and then falling on another one below and I only find mushrooms, so I died a bunch.

I got lost on the Shell Dome.

Well, two of mine at least are pretty close, I feel:

Thwomp Plains
E725-0000-0062-EBB8

Mt. Helmet
913B-0000-0034-F709

These were good. I haven't seen many good uses for the helmet, but that one felt like a good intro to using it.

jholmes

Just made my first course. I feel pretty good about it.

Anyone want to try it for me?

Road to Babylon
119F-0000-0064-0AF3

Let me know what you think.

The thing about multiple paths like this is there's nothing to focus Mario in any one place so you can just run past everything, which is exactly what I did. Your placement seems good but you need to funnel Mario toward things. Maybe keep your next level a little smaller, really focus on what you expect the player to see and do, and go from there.

Rescue in Sky Fort!
Stage ID: 42B9-0000-0064-111F

And if you enjoyed that, be sure to check out my other stage! It's similar in scope, and I utilized a lot of the experience in this stage to build the Sky Fort one.

Big-Tall Mountain

Stage ID: 9BD9-0000-005E-AF76

Sky Fort: I'm the last guy to worry about this stuck, but the sense of place is way off in this level. You go into small-looking ship-like areas and emerge in a giant open castle. Is this sky fort supposed to be way bigger on the inside, like the Toad Houses in SMB3?

As for the actual stage, it's sort of open in the castle but the level design is really tight. I loved the loop back around with Yoshi. I dug the first hidden 1-up, classic placement and it also provided the way back. Just very sharp work there. Probably too many mushrooms though, it felt like they were everywhere.

Also Gsnap has a much better collection of feedback than me so go read his post again!

Big-Tall Mountain: Man, you gotta lay off the mushrooms! They are outta control here! Really fun stage, love the main gimmick and the grand finale makes me jealous it's not in my stage. The subarea exit spits you into the middle of a giant death pit though which is problematic.

CRtQ0AF.jpg

Shell Dome
E489-0000-0046-D2E4

Playing Big-Tall Mountain made me realize I hadn't done this level and yeah sure enough they play pretty similarly. I hate maze stages but this level does it with purpose, and it's fun! Execution is top notch. Wearing the Spiny helmet makes you feel like you're getting away with something, which is what every power-up should do.

Not sure why I didn't sub to your levels before, but I'm doing it now!

Starts as an old-school SMB3 airship stage with isolated platforms and then goes in for some more traditional rooms. I liked it a lot, but those one-way blocks on the pipes were pointless -- there's almost no way to go back into the one, and why would you want to? It just clutters up the stage unnecessarily. It's so easy to have pipes drop Mario from a height he can't reach -- and if they find the hidden propeller suit and get back in anyway, why stop them? Might as well reward their work if they want to do bizarre things.

an unlikely elevator service - my second attempt at a vertical level. this time it's far more focused on that aspect. more or less exploring some ideas. yoshi/kuribo can actually help a lot with the feeling of 'going up' in interesting ways.

cee1-000-0064-317f

All these vertical, and often blind, jumps make this level a pain in the ass. I beat it but I was really annoyed with how hard it can be to get the flying shoe into the pipe. You have an eye for pairing elements together but Mario Maker isn't great at handling vertical elements so you have to be careful if you're forcing the verticality of a stage.

That said unlike another vertical stage posted in the thread, this one did feel like I kept climbing up, so you nailed the feel.

I beat your level. It didn't take 20 seconds. What sort of feedback do you want? You already know exactly where I jumped, exactly what I did. Would I change anything? Yeah I'd probably make that last jump a block shorter so you're not screwing people out of near-perfect runs.

i think that if you have to use arrows to show where to air stall, you've already lost the game.

Also, this. It almost feels paint-by-numbers.

Ganon's Lost Shrine (7EA2-0000-0064-3CE9)

ganons%20lost_zpsibeqvohr.jpg

The level starts good -- Zelda level that doesn't try to be an obtuse maze, good -- but then you ask the player to make a blind leap down and immediately throw Podobos at him, and then that running sequence is the last thing I would associate with Zelda -- and there's no safe spot for when you're going from one P block to the next.

I found this a bit tedious replaying the vine bits but that may just be the fact that it's 3 a.m. and I just before got suckered into playing a damn Kaizo level. Also I was hoping to play as Ganon, damn it.

Going to bed now!

Dacvak

thanks. one of these days i'll make another level people enjoy.

To be fair, that's the only one I tried. But dude, "An Unlikely Elevator Service" was super creative and fun. You definitely used Mario Maker assets in ways I've never seen before. Didn't even know the Winged Boot could Yoshi-flutter. That was awesome.

I'll definitely check out the rest of your stages. They seem really good.

Dacvak

I beat your level. It didn't take 20 seconds. What sort of feedback do you want? You already know exactly where I jumped, exactly what I did. Would I change anything? Yeah I'd probably make that last jump a block shorter so you're not screwing people out of near-perfect runs.

What do you mean? It's possible to get the top of the flagpole for a 1-up, just a little difficult.

Ferrio

Banned
Boo, but i'll still check out your level as I love tackling hard stages.

Ya I'm sure I could beat it if I put in the time, but I'm not going to spend an hour+ on a level sorry :( Took awhile to get past the clown car part figured that was the end, saw the next part and went "NOPE".

AniHawk

Here's the level I made that has the most stars for me.

Course: * this level & I will * yours

43 Stars / 117 people
66 Clear / 692 Plays

ID: BBB8-0000-0038-EA85

Despite its really stupid, pathetic name, I hope it's a fun course. Please give me some feedback on it!

well i think it was kind of neat. there's fun with the sound effects (why does yoshi make happy faces?), and i think there's some verticality that works in your level's favor (which i love). the part at the top before the warp pipe has a neat style going for it too with the rocks mixed in with the spikes. the cave itself offered a decent amount of variation in a short time span.

maybe the only thing i could knock is the seemingly haphazard style and placement of the enemies, but given the free-flowing feeling with the sound effects and the fact that they don't come out of nowhere to screw you over, i think they actually work in this level's favor - a sort of controlled chaos.

jholmes

What do you mean? It's possible to get the top of the flagpole for a 1-up, just a little difficult.

I mean I died three times, THREE TIMES, due to time ups with Mario next to the flag pole. One time I was certain he touched it when he died.

Let me tell you how fun that was.

Starts as an old-school SMB3 airship stage with isolated platforms and then goes in for some more traditional rooms. I liked it a lot, but those one-way blocks on the pipes were pointless -- there's almost no way to go back into the one, and why would you want to? It just clutters up the stage unnecessarily. It's so easy to have pipes drop Mario from a height he can't reach -- and if they find the hidden propeller suit and get back in anyway, why stop them? Might as well reward their work if they want to do bizarre things.

I figured backtracking into the Bowser Jr. fight would be an unfortunate mistake, and I wanted to try the trick since I saw another level use it. (I used it in the other place just to be consistent.) It also messes with the narrative a bit, even though the room to the side does the same.

That being said, there is something in the stage that lets you do exactly that. You can pretty much get back to the beginning and start over if so desired.

Glad you enjoyed it!

AniHawk

All these vertical, and often blind, jumps make this level a pain in the ass. I beat it but I was really annoyed with how hard it can be to get the flying shoe into the pipe. You have an eye for pairing elements together but Mario Maker isn't great at handling vertical elements so you have to be careful if you're forcing the verticality of a stage.

i think i might go back and edit this one, or i might remove it altogether. the original concept for this level was to use the helmet and the kuribo shoe to 'make' an elevator.

also, there should only be two blind jumps, and only one of them should be into the pipe. the first is on floor 3 with the cannon ball. the last is at the actual end post. every other segment should have had a part off to the left to recenter the camera and put the pipe into view.

To be fair, that's the only one I tried. But dude, "An Unlikely Elevator Service" was super creative and fun. You definitely used Mario Maker assets in ways I've never seen before. Didn't even know the Winged Boot could Yoshi-flutter. That was awesome.

I'll definitely check out the rest of your stages. They seem really good.

this one and two other somewhat recent uploads (not 'dilemma', which is more of a complete idea) are kind of toying with ways to make things interact with each other. i'm finding it frustrating that thwomps seem to be the best tools in playing with the environment, since it kind of makes the levels feel samey, but i think they're quite versatile. my goal is to find a neat combination of items and enemies and try a more traditional level with that like 'an unlikely alliance.' so far i've learned that you can do fun things with blocking cannons with bricks (for p-switch or koopa shell-related shenanigans), combine flying enemies and rails with thwomps, and treat munchers like walkable piranha plants for yoshi if you add wings to them.

the one thing i really wanted from nsmb didn't happen though - and that was making the fire ball melt ice.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Every time I think I'm ready to put this game down and move onto something else for a while, I just switch gears and keep going instead.

Make levels, stream GAF levels, play GAF contest entry levels to critique and jot down new ideas, repeat.

Dacvak

well i think it was kind of neat. there's fun with the sound effects (why does yoshi make happy faces?), and i think there's some verticality that works in your level's favor (which i love). the part at the top before the warp pipe has a neat style going for it too with the rocks mixed in with the spikes. the cave itself offered a decent amount of variation in a short time span.

maybe the only thing i could knock is the seemingly haphazard style and placement of the enemies, but given the free-flowing feeling with the sound effects and the fact that they don't come out of nowhere to screw you over, i think they actually work in this level's favor - a sort of controlled chaos.

You called it. I honestly didn't put much thought into enemy placement. Since most enemies roam around, (at the time I made this level) I hadn't really figured out their movement patterns and possibilities, so I just sort of randomly placed them.

Btw, I liked your Revengeance level. It took me a few tries, but it was quite fun.

Oh, and if you want to see a truly chaotic creation, check out the level "Fantastica" in my levels. It was the first real level I made, so it's sort of all over the place. There are a couple cool things in it, though.

I mean I died three times, THREE TIMES, due to time ups with Mario next to the flag pole. One time I was certain he touched it when he died.

Let me tell you how fun that was.

Oh dang, I gotcha. Yeah, that's a good idea.

qko

Always makes me happy to hear folks completing or nearly completing it. Any thoughts? :eek:

I finished your level. Hard but not impossible.

The Hammer Bros on the clown car was probably the hardest most unpredictable part, everything else really relyed on well timed jumps and tactful evasion of fireballs/fire blowers.

Am kinda surprised to hear a good lot of people expressing that they aren't willing to spend a prolonged amount of time on a level. I love these hard levels and spend the night looking for hard but fair levels (no cheap deaths, spring board luck, etc.) to play.

Figures that most of my levels end up having clear rates of under 10%.

Dacvak

this one and two other somewhat recent uploads (not 'dilemma', which is more of a complete idea) are kind of toying with ways to make things interact with each other. i'm finding it frustrating that thwomps seem to be the best tools in playing with the environment, since it kind of makes the levels feel samey, but i think they're quite versatile. my goal is to find a neat combination of items and enemies and try a more traditional level with that like 'an unlikely alliance.' so far i've learned that you can do fun things with blocking cannons with bricks (for p-switch or koopa shell-related shenanigans), combine flying enemies and rails with thwomps, and treat munchers like walkable piranha plants for yoshi if you add wings to them.

the one thing i really wanted from nsmb didn't happen though - and that was making the fire ball melt ice.

Oh tell me about it. I was super disappointed to find that out. There's definitely a lot to Mario Maker, and it really is a phenomenal piece of software, but once you unlock everything you realize how limited Mario Maker is in comparison to the actual NSMB games. Not just in terms of enemies/items/power ups that they left out, but also with simpler things, like sloped ground and stuff.

It's kind of a bummer that, even if they update or add DLC, there will never be any items that are exclusive to the individual Mario games, since you wouldn't be able to hot-switch between each game. I'd really love to have access to bendy mushroom platforms, and those big rotating-wheel-ground pieces in NSMU. I guess Nintendo has to keep something for themselves so they can keep selling 2D Mario games. :p

Did you happen to die?

I don't think I did. I did restart the course once, though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Figures that most of my levels end up having clear rates of under 10%.

I think 10% is a solid completion percentage for a level that aims to be "tough but fair." Remember, that's not a sign that 10% of the people who played it have beaten it, but that it takes about 10 lives before someone beats it. I think that's about right for a good challenge.

It's only when it dips below 1% that I begin to suspect shenanigans out of the gate.

It's kind of a bummer that, even if they update or add DLC, there will never be any items that are exclusive to the individual Mario games, since you wouldn't be able to hot-switch between each game.

But the flight items are distinct, as are Shoe vs. Yoshi.

Top Bottom